Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Wahoo Kickr Bike

Old 12-16-19, 10:16 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Wahoo Kickr Bike

Just wonder if anyone is actually using the Wahoo Kickr Bike?
What are your impressions?
Anything stand out that might force a Gen 2 bike early next year?
Has Wahoo upgraded or replaced parts?

I'm looking to buy one quickly for use in this cold/wet season. But being such a major expense I'm concerned over it being a recently released product.

Thanks

Barry
Old 12-16-19, 04:00 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Support Call

Gave a call to Wahoo support.
Specifically asked about a fix/retrofit solution to the vibration issue some are reporting. I'll need this to run quiet, else the wife wont be so quiet.
Support claimed "there is no vibration issue known to me." .
Rep went on to ask where I was seeing details of this issue.
My reply.... your own product support FAQ page..... Not the answer he wanted.
https://wahoofitness.yonyx.com/y/con...01c0a8012a&did
Also in that FAQ page are the details of how to get a bike back in the box for return to Wahoo. 8-(

Support also stated that Wahoo does have a "return policy" if purchased directly from them, but that a $250 shipping charge will apply.

Well I think I may have convinced myself not to buy at this time.
I think is a promising product, but maybe too early in its release.

Cash still in hand, and a little disappointed

Still looking to hear from an actual owner/user their thoughts and experience with product support (or if any was actually required)

Barry
Old 12-16-19, 04:25 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
We sold them at our store and I have logged a few hours on one. A trainer is a trainer, and after so much pretending that I am riding, I couldn't take it anymore and went back to the rollers. As far as problems go, so far so good. Have not had any reports of issues with them, and there are several out there that are a few years old now. We dumped Wahoo and picked up Tacx trainers last year.

Zero issues thus far and customers seem to like the "roll" feature and the vibration technology (my terms). The bike will allow you to rock when riding much like you naturally do on the real thing and the vibration feature literally vibrates the bike to simulate different road surfaces. I find it amusing in use, and makes sitting there for an hour more bearable. Still, I'd rather ride rollers, however if it were a group sufferfest linked to the app, then the Tacx is a very good choice as it helps make the pretend world just slightly more believable.
Old 12-17-19, 05:50 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

TiHabanero,
I think you refer to the Wahoo "Trainers".
I'm referring to the Wahoo Bike.

All the function of the Trainer but you don't bring your own bike to the party.
No wheels, has its own saddle, bars and drive train. Fully adjustable for size to match your actual bike.

Barry
Old 12-18-19, 03:47 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Incompatibility !

I'm sad to report that the Wahoo Kickr Bike is incompatible with my VW E-Golf.
There is no way the bike is going home (boxed) in a Golf. Dang that's a big box.
Toyota Sequoia to the rescue today/tomorrow.
I just could not help myself, I tried not to buy one, really I did.

I looked at the troubles Wahoo had last year with their new Trainer and how they made it good with their customers.
Should/if I have issues with the bike, I hope to receive the same customer care.
I will say that the Wahoo return policy was not a selling point. If purchased direct and returned I'd be $325 out of pocket.
I went with a local retailer and paid less that direct anyway + almost instant gratification, only delayed because of the incompatibility issue.

Watch this space for further information.

Barry
Old 04-04-20, 12:34 PM
clrobnsn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding for ~1week & ~100 miles.

[QUOTE=Barry2;21247051]Just wonder if anyone is actually using the Wahoo Kickr Bike?
What are your impressions?

Good:
  1. Setup was easy enough. Bike is heavy!
  2. App to take a photo of your exiting bike to get the setup / size right is cute/convenient.
  3. Integration with 'apps' is easy - almost too easy. I opened zwift and it was ~ready.
  4. Has a nice feel in terms of the flex and motion of the bike. It rocks around as you move - but in a natural way that still feels stable. Essentially - it allows for all that movement you thought you were damaging your bike frame with on a 'rear wheel' trainer.
  5. Shifting works well. Ability to choose how it shifts is great - b/c SRAM is the best
  6. Up/down hill incline stuff is fun.
  7. Quiet enough to watch TV (You fan will be louder). Not as quiet as a peleton though.
  8. ERG mode - have not tried it yet - but will be great for intervals.
Bad:
  1. Handle bars + tape are garbage. Maybe the tape is good for lots of sweat - but all in all they are uncomfortable. Literally anything 'aero' or 'ergonomic' for <$50 would be better. And tape is not expensive. I expect you can swap.
  2. There is nowhere to hang / balance whatever a phone or 'whatever device you control your workouts from'. You need to buy a mount of some sort - or have a table nearby. DCRainmakers tablet holder that he rides outdoors in the review is great.
  3. I feel some 'slipping' when starting - like you are on fine sand on a small bike and accelerate fast and you can get the rear wheel to slip. Not an issue in general since you are mostly at steady state and not starting/stopping- but it's certainly not like 'real' riding' and I sometimes feel it when standing up. I am not bothered by this, but see my comment in the 'in-between' section.
In-between / feature request:
  1. I bought this with the hopes that my girlfriend could do her spin classes on it too. However, this is so different from a spin bike which is essentially a 'fixie' that the flywheel / "I am pedaling so fast because Kimmy the spin instructor seriously wants me to do 115rpm and now I can't stop" effect is lost. It's just like a normal bike. So, we (bikers) can say what you want - but I just bought a $3.5k bike with the promise that she can also use it - but she thinks is terrible (which it is for spin class). So - the feature request : (1) Make a 'fixie' mode and (2) eliminate the slipping mentioned above.

Anything stand out that might force a Gen 2 bike early next year?
No. But I would like in general to see:
Hardware wise: Better handlebars & tape.
Software: Fixie mode for spin classes.

Has Wahoo upgraded or replaced parts?
No

I'm looking to buy one quickly for use in this cold/wet season. But being such a major expense I'm concerned over it being a recently released product.
I have not had an issue yet that speaks to hardware quality.

But my general comment is:
I used to ride a wind resistance trainer (circa 2005). I jumped on this and after riding a few times thought "what was I expecting - its basically a trainer". My use case has quickly become - ride while watching Netflix. So, I actually find some of the hills and power variation on Zwift a pain and just use the Wahoo app. It is convenient not having a janky bike and not having to switch a bike out for my girlfriend is nice.
So - I would say - think about getting this if it fits your 'lifestyle' (more than 'if you need it for training'):
Lifestyle: Don't want to swap bikes. Clean enough to 'have inside'. Want to do the up/down/Zwift style riding. Can afford the extra cost - b/c yes you are 'overpaying' - but its just the price to pay right now for those features.
'What you need for training': a 20min interval is pain regardless of what you ride on.

Of course I stand to be corrected when I actually use this 'for training' - so happy to update this in a few months

c
Old 04-04-20, 01:09 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

[QUOTE=clrobnsn;21400480]
Originally Posted by Barry2
  1. I feel some 'slipping' when starting - like you are on fine sand on a small bike and accelerate fast and you can get the rear wheel to slip. Not an issue in general since you are mostly at steady state and not starting/stopping- but it's certainly not like 'real' riding' and I sometimes feel it when standing up. I m not bothered by this, but see my comment in the 'in-between' section.

c
CL,
I've been riding mine now since December. Love this thing. It's always ready to go, even if I'm not.

I think the slipping may be a hold over from the other Kickr's that require actual Gear changes with a derailleur.
If you find yourself in a gear you just can't push, then stop trying and stop peddling. The Kickr will back off the resistance for 3 seconds when you start again, giving you time to physically change gear with the chain moving.
Obviously chain movement for gear changes is not an issue for the Kickr Bike.

All the best

Barry
Old 10-31-20, 03:20 PM
SuttonRider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying a kickr bike

Hi, Newby here. I'm thinking of buying a kickr bike. Are there any issues. Do you have any words of advice. Thanks.
Old 10-31-20, 06:38 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Wahoo support is good.
wahoo return policy should you decide you need it, costs money.
So buy through local dealer. Price is the same, but no shipping in either direction if you choose the right dealer.

Additional Purchases
Pedals (it only comes with flats)
Maybe a saddle (I like to have same saddle as my road bike)

Maybe purchases
Compatible bike computer (manual control of Kickr, self created workout plans)
Somthing to run software on (I use Apple TV 4K)
Something to look at (I use 55” 4K TV)
Software subscription (FulGaz, Zwift, whatever)

and you’re going to need a good fan to cool you (I use a Headwind)

In summary
Id sell my road bike before I’d sell my Kickr Bike.

all the best

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 10-31-20, 10:00 PM
SuttonRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kickr bike

Thanks Barry,
I have an android tablet running v10, also a good fan and a subscription to Bkool. So I hope I'm good to go. I intend to buy on line from a local dealer, I should say I'm in the UK. I will look into the return policy.
Old 01-07-21, 10:20 PM
BikeBuy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
We are considering purchasing the Kickr bike. We are in a similar situation where I would like to road bike while my wife would likes to spin (she's been spinning for years at a club before Covid). So...you are saying the spinning was not good with the non-fixed pedaling...coasting is not good?...I'm assuming she is gearing up or down to add more resistance? Is she taking classes on the net? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, ED
Old 01-09-21, 10:09 AM
Ed Wiser

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
I have been using the Kickr bike since September. It’s the best experience that I have used. I have rollers and smart trainers. Bought the bike as it is quiet and fun to ride. Like that it is always ready to go. Don’t have to deal with bike issues, flat tires and chain.
The bike works best in a warm room. People using in a cold garage can have issues with power supplies getting cold and then heating causes thermal overloads on the power supply.
Because the bike is quiet every noise that a trainer makes is heard. I have mine on a tick carpet and have no creaks from the aluminum frame.
Well worth the investment if you want to ride indoors.
Old 01-09-21, 10:41 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
moved here from General Cycling
Old 01-11-21, 11:56 AM
BikeBuy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kickr for Spinning??

Hi,
We are considering purchasing the Kickr bike. We are in a similar situation where I would like to road bike while my wife would likes to spin (she's been spinning for years at a club before Covid). So...you are saying the spinning was not good with the non-fixed pedaling...coasting is not good?...I'm assuming she is gearing up or down to add more resistance? Is she taking classes on the net? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, ED
10-31-20 11:00 PM