Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Stationary bikes are creating elite athletes

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Stationary bikes are creating elite athletes

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-19, 06:12 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
[QUOTE

Egan Bernal showed the old apprenticeship system is gone.

[/QUOTE]

Egan Bernal trained with Patrocinio Jimenez under general direction of Cochise Rodriguez. Could not possibly be more traditional. Colombian system is a total throwback. I have ridden with Cochise. No modern nonsense there.
Old 12-24-19, 06:23 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
A Sunday In Hell was directed and edited with the general public in mind, so it's not surprising that the director chose precisely those shots that make the riders look elegant. Any competent director could edit all of the available raw footage from this year's Paris-Roubaix into a feature-length film of riders riding beautifully.
Old 12-24-19, 07:55 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
A Sunday In Hell was directed and edited with the general public in mind, so it's not surprising that the director chose precisely those shots that make the riders look elegant. Any competent director could edit all of the available raw footage from this year's Paris-Roubaix into a feature-length film of riders riding beautifully.
Go to youtube and watch any raw footage from any race 1970s or earlier. If you can't see the difference I can't help you.
Old 12-24-19, 09:09 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Go to youtube and watch any raw footage from any race 1970s or earlier. If you can't see the difference I can't help you.
He’s right. But also you realize racers aren’t staring at their meter the whole time right?

When responding or attacking the wheels around you don’t care about what the cute little meter says. It only matters that you can do what you need to do.

The meter thing is a huge misconception. People who do race get it.
Old 12-24-19, 10:20 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I have one time in my bike shop on a the new kickr climb/trainer set up. I am not in pro form in fact miles from it but I got my ars handed to me after the first 3 miles. We were all laughing so hard after it showed how bad the spread was from pro to armature. The start wasn't so bad but when the group got going and hit the first climb it was over. Just amazing how good some people are.

I have done a zwift "race" and done better but there is a bunch of doping there. Zwift is great and I really like it for winter months but anyone who takes in too seriously is just not winning at life IMO.
For me the bicycle related career train pulled out of the station decades ago. But that doesn't mean I don't want to be better at it than I am. Zwift has done one thing for me that I doubt just riding alone would probably not do and that is make me aware of my power curve, heart rate and cadence.

Having goals and reaching goals is also a great motivator. While I need work in all areas of cycling, I especially need to work on my climbing. Having something similar to the Alpe and rewards for achieving climbing goals is in my opinion a good thing. I have been up to the top of the Alpe twice this month and I'm probably going to make it a weekly thing. When winter is over I'm expecting to hit the real roads in better shape than I've ever been in my life. If that doesn't happen I will be the to admit that Zwift isn't a viable workout.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 12-24-19, 10:40 PM
m3tal070

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Just watched A Sunday In Hell again. Probably had not viewed that for a decade. Wife hadn't seen it before, wouldn't have been interested before. First thing she said was "They ride so beautifully". They did. I will assume the majority here cannot even see the difference in how current pros and current lesser mortals ride. The way they ride now is ugly. Trained for wattage is ugly. If all you want is to see high numbers on the meter it's slam high gears and forget about form. What's form? And then crash a lot. The blood on the screen works real well with the ugly pedaling.

Lance Armstrong and dope and wattage meters destroyed the sport. It's gone. Of course this is one of the forums where the liar, cheater, bully Lance is still revered.
At some point, most of us just moved on.
Old 12-24-19, 11:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
For me the bicycle related career train pulled out of the station decades ago. But that doesn't mean I don't want to be better at it than I am. Zwift has done one thing for me that I doubt just riding alone would probably not do and that is make me aware of my power curve, heart rate and cadence.

Having goals and reaching goals is also a great motivator. While I need work in all areas of cycling, I especially need to work on my climbing. Having something similar to the Alpe and rewards for achieving climbing goals is in my opinion a good thing. I have been up to the top of the Alpe twice this month and I'm probably going to make it a weekly thing. When winter is over I'm expecting to hit the real roads in better shape than I've ever been in my life. If that doesn't happen I will be the to admit that Zwift isn't a viable workout.

The whole idea of indoor cycling training doesn't appeal to me as my indoor training time is more about maximizing general fitness goals rather than improving fitness for riding, but I'd have to be a fool to assert that it doesn't work for people like yourself. I like posts like yours that describe what you're doing rather than prescribing what other people should be doing.

That said, I think the article in the OP and Zwift's "recruitment" efforts are really just hyping a very few isolated cases for pr/marketing reasons. Probably not a lot of harm in a false belief that virtual cycling results have any real chance of getting someone "discovered" as long as someone isn't sacrificing other, more realistic endeavors to pile up these results.

My long way of saying my skepticism about the marketing ploy doesn't extend to skepticism about indoor training usefulness for people who like it.
Old 12-25-19, 06:47 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
I don't have to look at race footage from those days; I was racing back then. Did well enough to make it to the track nationals as an intermediate in 1964.

The brutal demands of bike racing guarantee that any pro, in any era, will have long since learned to ride as efficiently as possible. How can an efficient rider look anything but elegant?

That said, I'd much rather not have to look at guys spinning awkwardly on descents while hunched over in a supertuck. That is ugly. BTW, from what I've heard in podcasts, Lance Armstrong detests the sight of supertucks, too.

Last edited by Trakhak; 12-25-19 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-25-19, 10:56 AM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by La Tortue
Just curious, have you ever participated in a virtual race on a modern smart trainer?
Nah, it's not my thing. I occasionally enter a MTB race just to remind myself how much I suck, and I can't help but be a little pleased when I'm in the top 10% or so on a popular Strava segment, but I'm mostly just competing against myself these days. And riding indoors literally makes me contemplate death.
Old 12-25-19, 12:38 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
make sure you have rich parents with free basement rent, because that's what you'll need after the "pro" $25k contract expires.
The good thing is that when you're under 23, chances are great that you'll parents will take you in and feed you again, and you get to brag with your buddies on group ride that you were once "pro" at something.
Old 12-25-19, 02:25 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15

I hear you. I use Zwift all winter long and I really do enjoy it. Keeps me engaged to ride all winter while not going anywhere.

Before Zwift spring was brutal, my cycling fitness was bad, after I starting Zwifting the spring is really awesome!. Fitness on the bike stays to form and I do some of the workouts from time to time.

This year after I logged back on I see they have ride badges for all the routes in the worlds. So I will be working on getting all the 50ish badges instead of workouts. I am a goal/reward type person so that motivation to get the little badges is good for me. Having a greyed out spot makes my OCD all a quiver!
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 12-25-19, 08:48 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I hear you. I use Zwift all winter long and I really do enjoy it. Keeps me engaged to ride all winter while not going anywhere.

Before Zwift spring was brutal, my cycling fitness was bad, after I starting Zwifting the spring is really awesome!. Fitness on the bike stays to form and I do some of the workouts from time to time.

This year after I logged back on I see they have ride badges for all the routes in the worlds. So I will be working on getting all the 50ish badges instead of workouts. I am a goal/reward type person so that motivation to get the little badges is good for me. Having a greyed out spot makes my OCD all a quiver!
Yes, Good. I enjoyed reading this post.

I already have paid for an IRL ride and hotel room for the end of April. If the weather cooperates, this event will be my first century ride. The ride is one week before my 62nd birthday. Something I always wanted to do but just haven't gotten to it.

When I look at the calendar, 10 weeks prior puts me in early Feb. Where I'm at in the hills there is usually snow on the ground and streets until mid March. Hence, an indoor trainer is almost necessary.

My plan is to make it to level 12 in Zwift and complete the Everest Challenge by the last day in Dec., then do a celebration ride up the Alpe on New Years Day. This should be my 4th ride up that mountain. Starting January 2, I'm doing a 4 weeks FTP/core strength program, followed by a 10 week century training series.

After the April century, a week off then 4 weeks of pulling hills. Most of that I will do on the actual roads, I live in the mountains. This 4 weeks will be to prep for a Bike & Beer ride in Hershey PA, a very hilly course. After that back to endurance training for the Ben to the Shore (phily to atlantic city) ride. I may enter a local race in Sept but basically 3 rides for the year. Come nice weather I really want to hear people I ride with say "wow Tom, you've been doing some training". That's what I want to hear.

Last edited by Thomas15; 12-25-19 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-25-19, 09:09 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I have one time in my bike shop on a the new kickr climb/trainer set up. I am not in pro form in fact miles from it but I got my ars handed to me after the first 3 miles. We were all laughing so hard after it showed how bad the spread was from pro to armature. The start wasn't so bad but when the group got going and hit the first climb it was over. Just amazing how good some people are.

I have done a zwift "race" and done better but there is a bunch of doping there. Zwift is great and I really like it for winter months but anyone who takes in too seriously is just not winning at life IMO.
“Being good at snooker is a nice skill to have. Being very good at snooker is a waste.”
Old 12-26-19, 06:37 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
“Stationary bikes are creating elite athletes”

See the infamous Peleton ad:”Peloton sparks sexism mockery over commercial.” From the now-closed thread:
Originally Posted by Phil gretz
The ad certainly doesn't offend me. I'm a bit amused by the image of fit, financially strong and active people who buy Peleton.
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Just dropping by for my occasional observation that Peleton is a bike racing word but it's used for a spin-class product, while Zwift is a bike-racing product whose name sounds like a food delivery app
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Maybe an image of a “strong” woman would be of a year round outdoor cyclist
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't think outdoor cyclists are their market. .
Originally Posted by livedarklions
From talking to people, I gather that a lot of the appeal is doing "cycling" without having to worry about getting hit by a car.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-26-19 at 09:00 AM. Reason: added additional quotes by JfB and livedarklions
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 12-26-19, 07:23 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Next will be the TV contract for viewing a 'peloton' of Zwifters.
Still, it's better for the body than e-sports and/or watching e-sports.

Too next-gen for me.

Group dynamics have never been a motivator for my indoor sports.
I still excel at (folded paper) triangle football on the old wooden card table
Old 12-26-19, 07:58 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Perhaps the original headline is a typo and meant to say "elitist athletes"
Old 12-26-19, 10:37 AM
SpinClassSara

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I take spin class twice a week and am pretty enamored with myself.
Old 12-27-19, 12:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by SpinClassSara
I take spin class twice a week and am pretty enamored with myself.
Do you pass yourself notes when you're in class?
Likes For livedarklions: