Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Lincoln, NH parking - riding the Kanc

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 10-05-20, 01:26 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts

Want to tap into the collective wisdom of experience here. Anyone ride the Kancamagus from the Lincoln side? What's the best public place to park for 4-5 hours? I found some public rides on RWGPS starting at the WMNF Gateway Visitors Center so I gave them a ring, but they said it's better to park in town as long as it's not overnight. I found on Street View some municipal parking in a shopping area, but for some reason I'm not too thrilled about it. Maybe I just want to avoid riding through Lincoln - what about parking at Loon, is that not cool? This picnic area off the main lot seems like would be an OK place to park, no?: https://goo.gl/maps/tRFNwQPAdiN3MVeMA
Guess it's my city parking anxiety speaking out.
Old 10-05-20, 01:58 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
There's a Price Chopper on Main St., it's large lot, post office, movie theater, etc... I'm certain you could leave a car in a corner of the lot all day. It's NH, nobody is going to bother it.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 10-06-20, 10:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Fond memory of racing up the Kanc while crossing the country back unsupported back in ‘99. Battled two others (One is a member of this forum.) in the group. I eventually got dropped near the summit. It was a cold, rainy day in August. Rain stopped before the summit but picked up again during the descent of the east slope.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-07-20, 08:26 AM
autonomy

Originally Posted by Steve B.
There's a Price Chopper on Main St., it's large lot, post office, movie theater, etc... I'm certain you could leave a car in a corner of the lot all day. It's NH, nobody is going to bother it.
Yeah, good point about NH.

So, I ended up parking at the Loon 'day use area' for an out and back to the pass: https://goo.gl/maps/tRFNwQPAdiN3MVeMA. There is just a sign saying 'no overnight parking, no fires, camping, or alcohol' and that's it. It was a nice, quiet place to get ready and I avoided biking through town. Saved me 4mi round trip, which actually resulted in the ride being quite short - under 22 miles.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Fond memory of racing up the Kanc while crossing the country back unsupported back in ‘99. Battled two others (One is a member of this forum.) in the group. I eventually got dropped near the summit. It was a cold, rainy day in August. Rain stopped before the summit but picked up again during the descent of the east slope.
Gosh, I would not feel safe descending there on a wet road!
Likes For autonomy:
Old 10-08-21, 02:39 PM
autonomy

Originally Posted by autonomy
So, I ended up parking at the Loon 'day use area' for an out and back to the pass: https://goo.gl/maps/tRFNwQPAdiN3MVeMA. There is just a sign saying 'no overnight parking, no fires, camping, or alcohol' and that's it. It was a nice, quiet place to get ready and I avoided biking through town. Saved me 4mi round trip, which actually resulted in the ride being quite short - under 22 miles.
Oct 2021 update: disappointingly, this lot is now gated off with plenty of 'no parking' signs around it. I drove to the White Mountains Visitor Center and parked in the lower lot that's further away from the building. I asked inside and they said it's totally fine to park and the lower lot is exactly the place, but just to make sure I don't leave the car overnight (I saw a lot more 'no overnight parking' signs everywhere than before)

Foliage is in full swing up there.
Likes For autonomy:
Old 10-14-21, 04:23 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Nothing specific to add, but if I were in your place, I would also try to contact local cycle clubs, and nearby bike shops for local knowledge.
Good luck.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 10-18-21, 12:44 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
impressive ride you have planned! fwiw - proposed to my Wife on top of Loon
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-22-21, 07:24 AM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions going to be doing this very soon with some friends!
Old 10-23-21, 08:04 PM
hose
Miyata Mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Never biked up there but last hike i did was Flume - up the flume slide as found on 4000fters - holy moly thats a workout
Old 10-25-21, 03:55 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Want to tap into the collective
"The Kancamagus Pass, on Route 112, was blanked with snow on Monday morning, as the New Hampshire Department of Transportation shared on social media."

https://www.necn.com/news/local/snow...gland/2590257/
Old 10-27-21, 09:54 AM
autonomy

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
"The Kancamagus Pass, on Route 112, was blanked with snow on Monday morning, as the New Hampshire Department of Transportation shared on social media."

https://www.necn.com/news/local/snow...gland/2590257/
Dang, I beat it this time! Never know when the snow is going to show up. BTW, I did a '3NaaP' version of this:
https://bikenewengland.com/2017/06/2...new-hampshire/ where I returned through Franconia notch via the bikepath. It was tough, 80mi and 5.5Kft. My longest ride and probably as or more difficult as D2R2 100K.

I also want to do 2 gravel loops in 'that area', Tripoli Rd/Waterville, and Jefferson Notch/Old Cherry Mtn. I hear they are fantastic to do when the gates are closed to motorized traffic, late fall or early spring.

Last edited by autonomy; 10-27-21 at 09:59 AM.
Likes For autonomy:
Old 10-27-21, 01:05 PM
rumrunn6

Dang, I beat it this time! Never know when the snow is going to show up. BTW, I did a '3NaaP' version of this:
https://bikenewengland.com/2017/06/2...new-hampshire/ where I returned through Franconia notch via the bikepath. It was tough, 80mi and 5.5Kft. My longest ride and probably as or more difficult as D2R2 100K.

I also want to do 2 gravel loops in 'that area', Tripoli Rd/Waterville, and Jefferson Notch/Old Cherry Mtn. I hear they are fantastic to do when the gates are closed to motorized traffic, late fall or early spring.
wow, quite an accomplishment! you beast! late fall / early spring, huh? good luck w/ that! (we need a snow flake icon)
Old 10-30-21, 12:08 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
I did the 100K route of D2R2 in 2012. Something like 8,000’ of climbing that year. Killer. But it was fun visiting my old stomping grounds. I was a four-year “Deerfield Boy.” Not all that many after me as the school west co-ed a few years after I graduated in ‘83. Rode through campus again last month during a two-week tour home from St. Albans, VT.