Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

looking to get first fat tire bike

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

looking to get first fat tire bike

Old 04-10-21, 11:49 AM
motopokep
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
need recommendation for first fat tire bike

I'd like to give it a try, but not sure it will be my thing. I'm looking to spend no more than $500. I'm looking at Mongoose Dolomite and a few other entry-level fat tire bikes.. Some are 7 speed, some more expensive ones are 21 speed, above my budget. Is there any advantage to having 21 speeds on a fat tire bike, or are 7 speeds plenty? Can anyone recommend a good aluminum frame fat tire bike under $500, with 4 inch wide 26 inch tires, and that weighs around 40 lbs or less, for a rider who's just under 6 feet tall? (my body weight is not an issue)

Last edited by motopokep; 04-10-21 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-11-21, 07:51 AM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 50 Posts
The Mongoose Dolomite ALX is probably the only fat bike that fits your criteria, priced right at $500. It has 4" wide 26" tires. Mine, which is the 17" Small frame, weighed 36.4 pounds stock. The 19" Large frame is recommended for riders up to 6' 1" tall. The frame, fork, stem, handlebar, crank, and rims are all aluminum. I hesitate to call it "good", since it uses no-name components (drivetrain, shifters, brakes) which are far from premium, but it is certainly entry-level, and it's a decent enough platform if you want to upgrade things. So far, I have been unable to dial in my shifters/derailleurs so that they shift flawlessly through their whole range. Some have complained of "wobble" in the bottom bracket, but I haven't noticed a problem with mine.

As far as I can tell, the Dolomite brand is a Walmart exclusive, and you can find the ALX on Walmart's web site. If it's out of stock, just keep checking back, as they are actively restocking right now. Note that the ALX is the only one of the Dolomite bikes with an aluminum frame.

As for gearing, it really depends on how you intend to use it. Fat bikes aren't really limited to or targeted for specific uses. The ALX is a 16-speed, with a 11-34t rear cassette and 36/22t chainring, and so far I have found that is plenty low enough for muddy off-road use, but is still reasonable for getting around on roads. A common user modification is to change out the chainring to something they like better.
Likes For UnCruel:
Old 04-11-21, 09:36 AM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I enjoyed riding my fat tire Mongoose

in the sand. It was much easier to ride than a bike with 2 inch wide tires in that situation.
-Everywhere else, like trails and pavement, an MTB with normal width tires is faster and more efficient, IMHO.
Old 04-11-21, 09:49 AM
motopokep
Banned

I'm going to go with the Dolomite ALX, it's a great-looking bike and the price is right. I see it in 3 sizes, 17, 18 and a 19 inch frame. I'm 5'10". My current hybrid bike has a 17.5 inch frame and I have the seat post raised high. Should a fat tire bike run a bit smaller if you're planning to do trails, hills, so it's more agile?
Old 04-20-21, 12:40 AM
motopokep
Banned

just ordered the Mongoose Dolomite ALX in 18 inch frame. Extra thanks to UnCruel for the recommendation, seems like best value for the price. Can't wait to mod it and ride
Likes For motopokep:
Old 04-21-21, 02:54 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by motopokep
I'm going to go with the Dolomite ALX, it's a great-looking bike and the price is right. I see it in 3 sizes, 17, 18 and a 19 inch frame. I'm 5'10". My current hybrid bike has a 17.5 inch frame and I have the seat post raised high. Should a fat tire bike run a bit smaller if you're planning to do trails, hills, so it's more agile?

I am in the same position and I was watching a review on KevCentral. He test rode a medium and being 5-10n with a 31 inseam said the bike fit perfectly so there's that. Another review also on the medium the guy said he was 5 10 of about the same size said the same thing with the only thing he didn't like was the reach ( bad back) as the stem was 85MM and picked up a 45mm Wake stem. I managed to order one a few days ago and plan on probably doing that as well. Currently riding an Electra and like a more upright position.

Originally Posted by motopokep
just ordered the Mongoose Dolomite ALX in 18 inch frame. Extra thanks to UnCruel for the recommendation, seems like best value for the price. Can't wait to mod it and ride

Just ordered the 18 as well. From the reviews it seems like Mongoose went all out vs the prior Steel Dolomite just better in every way.Still I can see where they saved a few bucks. The brake levers look pretty cheap so they along with the pedals will probably be the first things to go. For me I'll probably change the stem just to get a more upright position. Looks like a fun bike all in all.
Likes For JehD:
Old 05-09-21, 12:42 AM
motopokep
Banned

i got my bike a few weeks ago, 18 inch medium, the size is just right, i rode it around the neighborhood, on some uneven landscaping, down about a 45 degree slope and same up, on lowest speed, it's a lot of fun, feels like you're pedaling a chopper motorcycle, love the sound the tired make with the pavement, i like this bike a lot, good leg workout. it can get up to a decent speed in highest gear, i put in over $100 in parts upgrades, had a great time installing them and tuning it, i'll try to find the time and do a review on it, pics, mods, weight. gonna take it to a park soon for some real offroading, stay tuned
Likes For motopokep:
Old 06-09-21, 10:40 PM
BlackWhite

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A fat bike is the best tool for extending your riding season if you live where it is snowy or wet, or where riding a regular-tire mountain bike is useless, not enjoyable, and may hurt the trails. Fat bikes can also be highly functional for bike packing, also for riding on sand since bigger tires that are conducted at times float over soft surfaces. Plus they smooth out your ride even on a framework without suspension.
Old 09-08-21, 05:29 AM
jzink0883

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UnCruel
Mine, which is the 17" Small frame, weighed 36.4 pounds stock.
UnCruel,

At walmart.com, the frame sizes for the Mongoose Dolomite ALX are listed as:
Small: 17”
Medium: 18”
Large: 19”

Per some reviews at walmart.com, the actual frame sizes for the Dolomite ALX are:
Small: 15”
Medium: 17”
Large: 19”

QUESTION: On your small-frame ALX, what is the length between the center of the pedal spindle at the bottom bracket and the top of the seat post?
Old 09-08-21, 10:23 AM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by jzink0883
QUESTION: On your small-frame ALX, what is the length between the center of the pedal spindle at the bottom bracket and the top of the seat post?
On my small-frame ALX, from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube measures just a hair over 15 inches.

(Please ignore my rusty chain. I haven't done anything with it except hose it off since immersing it in seawater.)

Likes For UnCruel: