Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

2021 Giant Talon 2

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

2021 Giant Talon 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-21, 06:25 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
2021 Giant Talon 2

Well I didn't upgrade quite as much as I thought I would, but I definitely got a much more modern bike. I picked up a lightly used 2021 Giant Talon 2 for what I think was a real good price. I haven't hit the trails yet, but just riding around in the road and stuff it feels like a completely different type of bike than my 2010 Raleigh Talus 3.0. Of course the bars are really wide, and the stem is short. The 27.5 tires seem huge compared to the old 26" I am used to riding. Here are some of the highlights:
1x9 Microshift Advent with clutch, think I have the trigger pro shifter which will take time to get used to.
Hydraulic Disc brakes
27.5" rims
WTB Vigilante 2.3 tire in front and Maxxis Ardent tire in the back. Sound like it's a good combo?

There were a few more things I might have liked on a bike, but I think it's a great upgrade over my old bike. I've raised the seat a bit since the picture. Not sure if I'll get a dropper, but looks like a clean install if I do.
Old 08-12-21, 06:37 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Have fun with the new bike! No experience with the tires, but a few rides and you'll know if they suit where you're riding.
Old 08-12-21, 07:10 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Have fun with the new bike! No experience with the tires, but a few rides and you'll know if they suit where you're riding.
will do!

think I can buy a kit and convert to tubeless if I choose to.
Old 03-29-22, 07:18 AM
androxylo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I'm very curious how much Talon 1 or 2 weights and is it lighter than Marlin or Rockhopper?
Old 03-29-22, 03:32 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Omg take those reflectors off the spokes....CushCore in rear tyre.
Old 03-30-22, 08:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by androxylo
Hi, I'm very curious how much Talon 1 or 2 weights and is it lighter than Marlin or Rockhopper?
Don't be too specific there. If similar spec probably not lighter. If the Rockhopper or other bike is a higher end spec then this bike will probably be heavier. On a bike in this price point they use lower end parts which tend to be heavier. The Talon1 would be a better bike not by much but Deore 10 speed is reliable and RS Judy forks are a fine entry level option. However if you are weight conscious spend more money and get something with an air fork and potentially other nicer parts. The more budget world is not the place to look for weight savings.

However Microshift Advent isn't bad and I applaud them for bringing it to market. It is a lower cost decent quality groupset that is designed for modern sensibilities. If I was on a budget I would happily rock AdventX and probably do just fine on it. Some of my co-workers love to rag on it but in the end it is actually decently thought out.

Now me personally I like my Deore XT it has proven itself reliable and pretty bombproof over the years. I have some 90s era XT that is still going today and works like a dream. Yeah maybe not the cheap stuff but a derailleur that is 26 years old and still kicking and shifting flawlessly isn't so bad. At say the average price for a modern XT 11 speed over 26 years that is about $4 a year for a derailleur not super expensive except maybe initially but that cost is long gone. I wouldn't go XTR but SLX or Deore LX if you are old school or XT of course is always a good option and generally the bike it comes on will likely have some other decent parts on it and if nothing else that derailleur will likely go for a long time. I see a lot of my M737s out there still going strong, heck even one from an e-bike, the guy actually bought a second one just in case but still never blew it up and as far as I know is still on that same first derailleur. Honestly I wish that Shimano would just re-make the M737 and keep it in the line up with zero changes (except maybe aesthetics for some people and maybe the ability to run 10 or 11 speed but they run 9 just fine). I bought a second one like that guy just to have but I don't imagine needing to replace anything it might just go on a different bike.