Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Noobie bike purchase wants your input/advice

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-21, 08:15 AM
Farby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Sorry to be one of those guys starting one of those threads but I seek your wisdom.

I’m a 41 year old string bean who is considering venturing into the mountain biking world. I’ve been a roadie on and off since 07 so while I know plenty about road cycling bikes /equipment I don’t know jack about mountain gear. I’ve been on more of an off phase with biking the last year so fitness level isn’t great.

I’d like to start riding trails because my son is 11 and our weekends spent hiking are now seeking a little more adventure. I’m hesitant to take him on the road and think trails would be more fun for him anyway. He has an older front suspension trek mtb but I don’t have anything to get dirty on.

looking at options I’m kinda lost where to begin. I’d like to think my riding will be mostly tame trails with some jumps here and there. No bombing over boulders downhills or 20 foot drops happening anytime soon. Been reading up on hard tails and entry level f/s. I am the first to admit I love swag and buying cool **** is a blast.

Part of me thinks go f/s so I don’t regret not going that route later on and also appreciate that it would be more forgiving on me. I’ve been steered toward a trail bike and was looking at polygons because their ads are everywhere. The d7 to t8 but am curious if this is just too much bike. From what I’ve read the t8 is a great deal spec wise. But I am sure there are varying opinions and comparable bikes from other brands. Really wouldn’t want to spend more than $2500. So what would you be looking at in my shoes?

Any input or advice is much appreciated,
Old 11-15-21, 08:24 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-29-3

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/anthem-29-2
Likes For prj71:
Old 11-15-21, 11:57 AM
SquishyBiker

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Circa (Rd Dist), 2020 Giant Toughroad (Rd Tour), 2021 Trek Allant+ 8S (eCommute), 2021 Scott Aspect 940 (Mt HT), 2014 Santa Cruz Superlight 29er (Mt FS), 2022 Scott Spark 960 (Mt FS)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 26 Posts
Consider a Trek Top Fuel - you get pretty decent kit, 12speed Shimano, and 120mm front and rear suspension.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...?colorCode=red
Likes For SquishyBiker:
Old 11-15-21, 12:01 PM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Best place to start is to talk to a local bike shop learn some of the terminology when it comes to bikes geometry and such. I looked around for a while. I found a video on youtube they did a review of several bikes. I did end up going with the Fezzari in the first review. So many great bikes out there.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vi...omparison,2793

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/2-...ison-Test,3053

you will need to purchase a shock pump and consider looking into tubeless tires.
Likes For carlosponti:
Old 11-15-21, 12:03 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by Farby
...I’m hesitant to take him on the road and think trails would be more fun... I’d like to think my riding will be mostly tame trails with some jumps here and there. No bombing over boulders downhills or 20 foot drops happening anytime soon...
Would be nice if you'se guys could build up a couple-a Steel Gravel Bikes together...
Old 11-15-21, 12:36 PM
Farby

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Would be nice if you'se guys could build up a couple-a Steel Gravel Bikes together...
id like to ride with the kiddo, not have him watch me get frustrated and throw tools lol.
Likes For Farby:
Old 11-15-21, 01:36 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
will you be riding w/ just your Son or also solo?
Old 11-15-21, 01:40 PM
Farby

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
will you be riding w/ just your Son or also solo?
Both for sure
Likes For Farby:
Old 11-15-21, 02:01 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Farby
Both for sure
nice, get a fast one! ;-) right about age 12-13 my Son started kicking my butt at the track & on the bike
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-15-21, 04:56 PM
1xGuy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OP, in addition to the suggestion of the Top Fuel by SquishyBiker, check out the Fuel EX, also by Trek. Dedicated trail bike that will be able to handle most anything you are likely to throw at it, still pedals well, and can give your son enough travel for when he starts to send it bigger - which he will. There is a broad range of sizes and build kits, with entry level models somewhere in 2.5 to 3K range if I recall. Dealer support is also easy to get, being a big brand. My sons and I have a couple different generations of them in the garage, and they have always performed well. Finding them, however, is the real trick. Have fun!
Likes For 1xGuy:
Old 11-15-21, 05:06 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
You mention that your son has an older MTB. If you get something new and modern, it won't be long before you're on the 'older mtb' while your son is thrashing down hills on 'your' new/modern bike. Been there and done that. No regrets because the smile on his face was more than worth it! Just saying.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 11-18-21, 03:24 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Get the Specialized entry level full suspension Stumpjumper that sells for $2500. Full Suspension bikes are much more forgiving of user error or limitations. If you get a hardtail bike then have a dropper post added - you will be glad you did.

Do invest in a good mountain bike MIPS helmet and knee guards and gloves. A bad knee injury can take you out of action for several months and a broken collar bone takes 3-4 months to heal with adults.

I have found that everything I did on a road bike is the opposite on a mountain bike for the most part. A half day class would be a good investment.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 11-18-21, 08:49 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I've owned a Polygon T8, it was a really nice bike with good components. I didn't connect with it as much as I thought, so I sold it after awhile since it was sitting. The D7 is probably more my style, but I can't get over how it has a non boost front with a boost rear. Not a big deal for the average rider, but it bugs me.
Likes For katsup:
Old 11-19-21, 07:23 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I wouldn't get full suspension. If you can find something like a Salsa Timberjack with 27.5 plus tires you will have a solid bike that will last a long time.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 11-19-21, 06:23 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
If you can afford a decent FS bike…. Do it. Unless your trails are really smooth.

I find HTs a blast as a way to change things up, but as a go-to bike… FS for sure.

The real question is what kind of FS.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-24-21, 08:28 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
I've owned a Polygon T8, it was a really nice bike with good components. I didn't connect with it as much as I thought, so I sold it after awhile since it was sitting. The D7 is probably more my style, but I can't get over how it has a non boost front with a boost rear. Not a big deal for the average rider, but it bugs me.
My Son has a Poly T7, he loves it... I'm gonna get a D7, more than enough for me ... Stepping up to the new century... from am '04 Spec Epic... LOL...
Just had a chance to ride the '21 Spec Stumpy FS Alloy - lower end model - V-Nice Bike !!! I was impressed ! It was like the bike 'disappeared' under you and all you had to do was focus on 'The ride'... Everything works so well, together...
Ride On
Yuri