Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

SS to 3 Spd Swap

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

SS to 3 Spd Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-21, 05:53 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
SS to 3 Spd Swap

I have not owned a 3 spd since I was a preteen. It shifted terrible and I eventually broke the steering tube in a tight turn.
-I needed a bike I could keep in the parking garage at work for lunch rides. Crime is prevalent there, so I didn't want to spend much. Bought a single speed Hyper cruiser a few weeks back from Wally World. Its a cheap clone of a Dyno. Comes completely murdered out. Rims, stem, bars; everything was black except the reflectors.
-A few weeks later, I bought a girls 3 spd coaster beach cruiser off craigslist for cheap. I planned to transplant the Shimano 3 spd wheels to my new Hyper. Looked easy.
-the 3 spd rims looked good until I removed the tires. Found lots of pesky rust. Sanding off all that rust and adding metal polish was an unplanned inconvenience. Rear bearings were OK, but the fronts were as dry as an over cooked turkey.
-After too many hours, wheels and shifter was installed and the cable routed and adjusted. Rides and shifts really good. Looks OK for a cheapie cruiser.

Likes For surveyor6:
Old 12-04-21, 10:14 PM
Js760

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Looks sweet
Old 12-10-21, 09:08 PM
birdmove

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by surveyor6
I have not owned a 3 spd since I was a preteen. It shifted terrible and I eventually broke the steering tube in a tight turn.
-I needed a bike I could keep in the parking garage at work for lunch rides. Crime is prevalent there, so I didn't want to spend much. Bought a single speed Hyper cruiser a few weeks back from Wally World. Its a cheap clone of a Dyno. Comes completely murdered out. Rims, stem, bars; everything was black except the reflectors.
-A few weeks later, I bought a girls 3 spd coaster beach cruiser off craigslist for cheap. I planned to transplant the Shimano 3 spd wheels to my new Hyper. Looked easy.
-the 3 spd rims looked good until I removed the tires. Found lots of pesky rust. Sanding off all that rust and adding metal polish was an unplanned inconvenience. Rear bearings were OK, but the fronts were as dry as an over cooked turkey.
-After too many hours, wheels and shifter was installed and the cable routed and adjusted. Rides and shifts really good. Looks OK for a cheapie cruiser.

What do you think of the Hyper cruiser?
Old 12-11-21, 09:36 AM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by birdmove
What do you think of the Hyper cruiser?
it’s good bike for the money if you are not trying to keep up with riders on light weight bikes. It’s perfect for my lunch hour rides on the sidewalks and paths.
it was geared a little tall for me in stock trim, (I’m over 60) so The 3 speed wheel was an inexpensive remedy.
Likes For surveyor6: