Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bleeding hydraulic disc brakes on a front-loading cargo bike?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-22-22, 08:34 AM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts

Hi, all. Advise me on bleeding hydraulic brakes, particularly the front brake, on a front-loading cargo bike? I'm about to try it for the first time with my Douze, and I'm concerned that because the bike is too big to put on a repair stand or pick up and move around, I won't be able to get the brake lines at the optimal angles to get all the bubbles out. How do you do it?
Old 05-22-22, 09:16 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Don't overthink it, just bleed the brake. You can always remove the caliper and put it on the ground and take the lever off the bars and hold it as high as you can get it. It's not critical.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-22-22, 09:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
It also helps to get the brake manufacture's instructions. Shimano's will be found here..... https://si.shimano.com/#/

And for video and other documentation, this place does a great job of telling you how to do it.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

Random vid's on youTube, even some of the best produced are done by those that really shouldn't be allowed near a bike with a tool in their hand.

But how much help do you think you are going to get since you don't tell us what brake you have, brand and model of bike or any details. My hydraulic brakes may not be your hydraulic brakes. They only work on the same principle. They don't have the same design.
Old 05-22-22, 10:44 AM
brianinc-ville

Originally Posted by Iride01
It also helps to get the brake manufacture's instructions. Shimano's will be found here..... https://si.shimano.com/#/

And for video and other documentation, this place does a great job of telling you how to do it.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

Random vid's on youTube, even some of the best produced are done by those that really shouldn't be allowed near a bike with a tool in their hand.

But how much help do you think you are going to get since you don't tell us what brake you have, brand and model of bike or any details. My hydraulic brakes may not be your hydraulic brakes. They only work on the same principle. They don't have the same design.
Thanks, but that's not the point. All the directions you link there are for normal bikes. As I mentioned, I'm talking about a Douze cargo bike here -- which is a bakfiets-style frame, more than 8 feet long in total, with a very long brake hose running to the front wheel.
Old 05-22-22, 10:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by brianinc-ville
Thanks, but that's not the point. All the directions you link there are for normal bikes. As I mentioned, I'm talking about a Douze cargo bike here -- which is a bakfiets-style frame, more than 8 feet long in total, with a very long brake hose running to the front wheel.
Why would a very long hose matter? It might require you to waste more fluid trying to push any air in the lines out.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-22-22, 12:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
No real difference unless you have a non-standard brake but I cannot believe that Douze would use something non-standard, they use Bosch motors and make what look to be a nice product from what I remember seeing when I last looked. I think you can just do it like a normal bike that is what we do at the shop with all the similar bikes.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-22-22, 05:28 PM
brianinc-ville

Originally Posted by veganbikes
No real difference unless you have a non-standard brake but I cannot believe that Douze would use something non-standard, they use Bosch motors and make what look to be a nice product from what I remember seeing when I last looked. I think you can just do it like a normal bike that is what we do at the shop with all the similar bikes.
No, it's a standard brake (Tektro Gemini). When you're doing a front-brake bleed on a cargo bike, do you usually have to take the hose entirely off the bike, in order to get the air out of it? Or can you get by with just taking the caliper off and taking the hose off the fork?
Old 05-22-22, 05:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by brianinc-ville
No, it's a standard brake (Tektro Gemini). When you're doing a front-brake bleed on a cargo bike, do you usually have to take the hose entirely off the bike, in order to get the air out of it? Or can you get by with just taking the caliper off and taking the hose off the fork?
No we don't generally take a hose off we try to do the path of least resistance. I would say if you didn't have a proper stand to put it into (we are lucky as we have the electronic lift stands from Park at the workplace) then yes I might consider removing the caliper as cxwrench said but I don't know that I would worry a ton about that. We certainly don't and we want to make sure these bikes leave safe plus having to take them back in and store them and work on them is a pain and a lot of these folks aren't super near the shop or aren't near enough they are comfortable riding.

When in doubt ask the local shop that sold it to you and see if they can help out, save you some hassle and headache. I personally don't mind bleeding brakes but for a big cargo bike I would not want to do it at home, those things are heavy and my stand can't really handle it at home and I don't have the set up for the park stand nor the money.
Old 05-22-22, 05:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

When bleeding brakes on a motor vehicle they have much longer and much wider brake lines. Yet the air bubbles still get pushed down the brake lines and out the lower and further away caliper body. At least they did when I was DIYing my own vehicles 20 years ago. Maybe the physics involved isn't the same, which I highly doubt. <grin> But we also could push the fluid from the brake calipers to the master cylinder too. So if one way didn't work the other would.

Probably on your brakes you can do that too. But first, find the procedure recommended for your brand of brakes and brake lever. Hopefully they are the same brand so there won't be a conflict of design that might make one way of bleeding them ineffective.