Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Titan Bicycles of Switzerland

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-08-07, 12:32 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 265 Posts

Its raining & I have a cold, good time to begin reconstruction of the Titan thread. This is my recollection from the previous thread plus observations & pics of the 3 frames I built up.

Titan had frames built in Italy to their specs in the late 80s-early 90s. There were several models with Columbus tubing & Campagnolo or Columbus forged dropouts, all had bright, 80s style paint jobs done by an Italian painter whose name escapes me(my frames didn't have his decal). Examples of tubing cited in the old thread were SL, SLX, Chromor, Aelle, Thron as well as a few Reynolds 531, but most frames had not had decals applied.

The frames were first sold by a Swiss or German seller who may still have a website up & then by a seller in Indiana. Titan seems to still be making/selling bicycles but they are nothing like the vintage frames sold on e-Bay from mid 2005-early 2006.

At least one BF member purchased a fully built bike but most bought a frame or a frame with a tange fork. BF'r "wildjim" was a major poster on the old thread with 5 frames built up but I see he is no longer on the member list. I'm going to post pictures & measurements of my Titans & hopefully others will post theirs so we can have this resource available again. Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 03-09-07 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-08-07, 01:04 PM
ollo_ollo

Titan #1 seems to be unique of the frames I have seen posted. It is a Chromor frame, completely chrome plated with Columbus dropouts and English threaded Bottom Bracket. Paint is a dark metallic blue with a multicolored, linear design on the top & down tube.

All the Titan frames route the rear brake cable internally thru the top tube. This frame has attractive cable guides braised on at the entry & exit holes. The paint was very thin & fragile, already chipped & scratched, so I touched it up then added several coats of Rustoleum clear enamel for protection. This seemed to help but it has some beauty marks after a year of riding. I also did some lug lining that's not to bad but still incomplete. Data: 53cm CTC seat tube, 55cm CTC top tube, 42cm chain stay, rear axle spacing was 132mm, 25cm floor to bottom of BB, 27.0 seatpost. Bare frame weighed just under 5 pounds.

I originally built the bike with a Centaur triple crank & derailleurs. I used an uncut fork and anatomic bars. A local framebuilder made me a spacer for the steerer & the high bars let me ride in comfort despite a back problem I was having at the time.

I have since rebuilt the bike with a Faggin fork, NOS Cinelli bar & stem & an Athena double crank, Record Headset & Mavic Cosmos wheelset. Campy Athena Monoplanar Brakes & levers. Brooks leather bar tape & maroon B17, Inox SS bottle holders. Apologize that the pics are a bit dark, it was between showers & I lack skill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TitanBike5.jpg (92.6 KB, 1241 views)
TitanBike8.jpg (87.0 KB, 891 views)
TitanBike13.jpg (84.6 KB, 846 views)
TitanTan1.jpg (93.8 KB, 1054 views)
New-Titan3.jpg (96.4 KB, 815 views)
Titan9.jpg (91.8 KB, 816 views)

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 03-09-07 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-08-07, 01:27 PM
ollo_ollo

Titan #2 is an example of the "pleated" tubing found on some Titans. It may be decorative or some speculated it was a way of thinning straight gauge tubing into double butted. NOS 3T Podium Bar & Stem with Titan logo, Easton EC30 carbon fork, Kalloy aero seatpost, Chorus 10 spd Brifters & double Crank, Centaur derailleurs, Campagnolo Sidney 2000 rims on Veloce hubs, Chorus Monoplanar brakes, Brooks B17 saddle. Data: 53cm seat tube, 55cm top tube, 41 cm chain stay, Italian thread BB, 25.5 cm floor to bottom of BB, flush entry & exit on the top tube brake cable holes, 27.0 seatpost. Rear axle spacing was 126mm now spread to 130mm, forged & chromed rear dropouts are unlabeled. Bare frame weighed 4.5 pounds.
Attached Images
TitanBike1.jpg (97.0 KB, 890 views)
TitanBike3.jpg (92.5 KB, 820 views)
Titan2bike.jpg (98.3 KB, 766 views)
TitanStem.jpg (96.0 KB, 714 views)
Titan7.jpg (87.2 KB, 720 views)
Titan8.jpg (72.2 KB, 703 views)

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 04-04-07 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-08-07, 01:43 PM
ollo_ollo

Titan # 3 was one of my favorite rides last Summer, I built it up with NOS & swap meet finds: Cinelli Campione del Mondo bar & stem, Athena monoplanar brakes & derailleurs, Triomphe crank, Sachs "New Success" brifters, Brooks B17Champion Special, Mondonico fork, Honjo fenders. I started with a Campagnolo Scirocco 8spd wheelset but now run Torelli master rims on a Chorus front hub & Athena 8spd rear. Data: 53cm seat tube, 55cm top tube, 41cm chain stay, 25.5cm floor to BB, 27.2 seatpost, flush top tube cable holes. Bare frame weighs 4 pounds, Campagnolo dropouts & Italian thread BB. Rear spacing was 126mm now spread to 130mm.
Attached Images
TitanBike10.jpg (89.6 KB, 881 views)
TitanBike11.jpg (69.0 KB, 747 views)
TitanBike15.jpg (90.2 KB, 694 views)
TitanBike12.jpg (65.8 KB, 711 views)
TitanBike16.jpg (93.4 KB, 674 views)
TitanTrail.jpg (96.9 KB, 803 views)

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 03-09-07 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-08-07, 03:01 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 781 Posts
Shame that the server crash deleted all that "Titan of Switzerland" info, tho a lot of it was just "are these any good?" questions...IIRC the decal naming painter said something like "lacquer by DeSanno" tho I probably have his name wrong. That was the only clue I had as to who built these in Italy, cause I saw the same painter's decal on another branded Italian bike...but all that is lost to the ether. Anybody ever get a definitive answer as to who the builder was? Being a little older and maybe wiser, I would now guess: Billato.
Old 03-08-07, 03:25 PM
TMB
Permanent Refugee .......

Bikes: Steel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one, which is currently unbuilt.

It is actually a great ride.

I actually thought that the seat lug cluster was very reminicsent of the D'Accordi frames of the period.
Old 03-08-07, 04:04 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I just missed out on buying one of these frames on eBay a month or so ago. It had a BIN of $169, and while I dithered over it for a couple of days someone snatched it out from under me.

The pain and remorse was assuaged somewhat by acquiring a very pretty BMZ built Palo Alto frameset that I came across 2 weeks ago.

S. J. Perelman
Old 03-08-07, 04:11 PM
ollo_ollo

When I bought mine, the auctions were starting at $99 with a reserve & a buy it now of $169. Got #1 with BIN but later I got my #3 Titan by easing up to the reserve when no one else bid. Memory fails but I think the reserve was $130 back then & that frame was the lightest one.
Old 03-09-07, 01:14 AM
LittleGinseng 
lurking nightrider

Bikes: '84 Lotus Supreme, '85 Club Fuji, '86 Schwinn Peloton, '87 DS Ironman Expert, '87 Maruishi Professional, '88 Takara

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Very nice Titan stable you have there, ollo_ollo. I think this is the first time I've ever seen it, as I can't recall when I last looked at the original Titan thread that disappeared a while back. I can't decide which of the three I like the best. Gonna take a few more looks before I pick a winner.

Here's the link to the original seller, who supplied the very nice lady in Indiana with all those great frames that have been popping up on ebay for the past 3 years. I notice his supply is greatly diminished since I first checked it out. There's a fair amount of small and medium sized frames still available, but the larger frames, 60cm to 64cm, are all but gone(looks like he has only 8 left, size 62cm-64cm):

https://www.velomech.ch/

I purchased my Titan frame on ebay, along with the handlebars and pantographed stem, in May 2004. It was too sweet a deal to pass up, so I made it mine for the BIN price of $99 for the frame and unthreaded Tange fork, $9.99 for the stem and bars, and $40 shipping.

The frame was stored in a box in a closet for almost a year before I decided to build it up. The first build was with a mix of 7/8/9 speed Chorus and Record. I was quite happy with the ride quality, but after a short time I decided to go for a more 'period correct' selection of components.

It's been a work in progress for the last year and a half. I still haven't found a chrome Columbus fork in the size I need(220mm). Until I score one, the Easton EC30 carbon fork will have to do. Perhaps when I install a proper C-Record headset(to replace the current late-90's Chorus headset), I'll paint the carbon fork

Just about everything on the frame is from 1984-1989. These are the specifics:

Frame: Columbus SLX w/chromed stays, 60.5cm c-t, 126mm spacing, Campy 1010 chromed dropouts
Stem and bars: unknown stem w/ Sprinter bars(anyone ever heard of Sprinter?),Cinelli bar tape
Headset: Chorus(soon to be C-Record)
Crank: 1987 Super Record w/laser etched logo, half-stepped gearing 52/47
Bottom bracket: Nuovo/Super Record, 114.5mm asymmetric(Italian threaded)
Pedals: C-Record w/ leather Campy straps
Seatpost: 1987 Chorus (27.0)w/ laser etched logo, Campy binder bolt
Seat: 1989 Selle San Marco Regal Girardi, perforated w/copper rails
Rear derailleur: 1989 C-Record
Front derailleur: 1984 C-Record
Shifters: C-Record friction
Chain: 1989 Regina SL (hollow pins)
Freewheel: 1989 Regina America SL, 12-18 straight block 7-speed
Brakes and levers: 1985/86 Modolo Superprestige, nutted, traditional routing
Wheels: C-Record hubs 32x32(laced 3x) to Campy Omega strada XL hardox rims, Wheelsmith DB spokes
Tires: 1989 Michelin Hi-Lite Comp 700x23, Continental tubes

Last edited by LittleGinseng; 03-09-07 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-09-07, 08:59 AM
ollo_ollo

Thanks for putting up the velomech link. Titan paint was "Varnished by Dossena Carlo" & might be worth followup with him for more Titan info. From my poor h.s. German, got the impression the pictures are just for reference so I used Babelfish & got this:

( Important note: This site serves only as reference and contains no current offers. Classical racing cycle fresh from the factory CroMo steel framework manufactured into the early 90'er years in Italy for the former company Titan bicycle AG in Switzerland. Zurzeit is still another small number of these exclusive and genuinly classical Rennvelo - frameworks available by Mr. Tobias Bertschinger. Click please here for direct contact with Tobias Bertschinger)

Haven't e-mailed Tobias yet but it may be worthwhile to contact him for further info & ask if any Titan literature remains which we could post. The pictures vary from those previously on the site & are low resolution. Looks like there is no way to connect any paint job style or construction detail to a particular tubing type except Thron has a larger downtube compared to rest of the frame.

The decals I could read were mainly Aelle but I also saw Thron, Chromor & what appeared to be SLX or SPX. There were some frames I hadn't seen before that had a double brace on the seat stays with one drilled for a rear brake & the upper one solid. It is also possible the sellers were adding tubing & model decals without regard to correctness.
Old 03-09-07, 09:00 AM
moki

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
nice bikes, all of em.

Did Titan of Switzerland also make those outstanding steel stems, or is that another co. by the same name?
Old 03-09-07, 09:26 AM
ollo_ollo

I think there was a different European co that made Titan stems back in the day. One of my bikes has a NOS 3t ttt stem & Podium model bar that just had the Titan logo added on the stem, probably speced by the Swiss mfr.
In my researching I found a Carlo Dossena who is a faculty tutor in the foreign language dept of Bergamo University which is near Milan. There was a link so I e-mailed him on the chance he might be the painter but it turned out to be just be a co-incidence of name. Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 03-16-07 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-11-07, 06:06 AM
jefpac
JefPac

Bikes: Iron Horse MTB, Giant Road, Titan Road, Pinarello Montello Road, Amsterdam SA 3-Speed Road, Peugeot SA 3-Speed Road (#1), Peugeot SA 3-Speed Road (#2), Unknown 'hack' TBD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found some of the old Titan thread on my old laptop...

Hi!

I see that you are trying to rebuild/replace the Titan thread OP'd by wildjim. I found a few archived pages of the original thread on my old laptop. Would you like to see them? I aso found the info on the bild-up of my Titan.

Let me know if you are interested.

jefpac
Old 04-11-07, 06:39 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
I got mine several years ago from Ernest Jacob at Velomech. Unfortunately though it looks like his site is still up I have not been able to contact him or his contact Tobias for well over a year now. I got my frame and fork for $40. The shipping cost about $80 If I had known any better I would have bought 3 or 4 of them or set up a big group buy with some friends.

Old 04-11-07, 08:20 PM
anomaly

Bikes: 1972 Paramount Track, 1972 Paramount P13 Road, 1972 Paramount Tandem, 1986 Paramount Road, Merckx MXL, Gunnar Cross Hairs, Samson Illusion NJS, KHS Aero Track, Titus Racer X 29er, Tom Palermo Custom Touring

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, that seems like quite the good deal. Can anyone give me a bit more indepth background story on the ebay connection?
Old 04-21-07, 09:42 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 781 Posts
Here's some new info about Dosseno Carlo thanks to a link to a Guerciotti on eBay, courtesy of OldFatGuy:
"AWESOME paint job! This frame was painted by Dossena Carlo, the same company that paints the old Casatis." says the auction copy.Here's a pic swiped from the auction of the decal with Guerciotti panto'd on the Bb shell. looks like a Casati/Guerc connection to Titans of Switzerlandia...
Attached Images
0d13_1.JPG (18.2 KB, 711 views)
Old 04-22-07, 03:18 AM
seaneee
señor member

Bikes: Malvern Path Racer, Schwinn LeTour, Follis, Bridgestone 400 (RIP), concord 2sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this the same titan of stem fame?
Old 04-22-07, 01:36 PM
TMB
Permanent Refugee .......

Bikes: Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot about this thread and went ahead and posted another on the subject.

https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=290446

The "Varnished by ......." tag on my Guerciotti.
Old 04-24-07, 06:32 PM
ollo_ollo

Attempting to transfer old Titan thread to this one:

11-08-04, 08:07 AM #1
wildjim

Is anyone familiar with Titan Bicycles of Switzerland.

There is 20 year old frame built in Italy for Titan on Ebay. It is described as having Columbus SLX Tubing and varnished by Dossena Carlo.

https://www.bikeforums.net/attachmen...tid=18728&stc=1

https://www.bikeforums.net/attachmen...tid=18729&stc=1

https://www.bikeforums.net/attachmen...tid=18730&stc=1
Attached Thumbnails

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11-08-04, 05:18 PM #2
TheOtherGuy

Grab it if it fits. That's the same paint mine has... Looks cool. Well worth what they sell for.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11-08-04, 06:10 PM #3
wildjim

Originally Posted by TheOtherGuyGrab it if it fits. That's the same paint mine has... Looks cool. Well worth what they sell for.
I purchased it(53) from Ebay for $190 shipped.

What do you know about the frame?

11-08-04, 07:39 PM #4
TheOtherGuy

I know that the rear drop-outs are Campagnolo 1010b, frame tubes some flavor of Columbus (probably SLX; 27.2 seatpost, and ribbing in main tubes at BB), and that it comes with a generic chromed Tange threadless fork. Rear spacing looks like 126mm. Build quality looks good, but not really "artful". A nice, Italian race frame.
The seller packs pretty well. Should be a great rider (haven't built mine yet), with unusual looking smoked paint. I think you'll like it; you got one of the better ones. Some of those Titan frames used lesser Aelle tube sets, and had the uglier brake bridge. Still, you can't beat 'em for that price!

11-08-04, 08:00 PM #5
wildjim

Originally Posted by TheOtherGuyI know that the rear drop-outs are Campagnolo 1010b, frame tubes some flavor of Columbus (probably SLX; 27.2 seatpost, and ribbing in main tubes at BB), and that it comes with a generic chromed Tange threadless fork. Rear spacing looks like 126mm. Build quality looks good, but not really "artful". A nice, Italian race frame.
The seller packs pretty well. Should be a great rider (haven't built mine yet), with unusual looking smoked paint. I think you'll like it; you got one of the better ones. Some of those Titan frames used lesser Aelle tube sets, and had the uglier brake bridge. Still, you can't beat 'em for that price!

The seller just emailed me and said she will try to ship it today.

The low price seems almost to good to be true? Made in Italy Vintage NOS Frame, Custom Artist Paint Job, Columbus SLX Tubes, DeRosa Lugs and Campagnolo 1010b dropouts.

Maybe I am lucky this day?

What are the plans for your frame?

I am going to use all Campagnolo parts.

11-08-04, 10:22 PM #6
TheOtherGuy

When I get to it, I'll build it with whatever I have laying around (probably late Super Record) & see how it feels. I really didn't need it, but I figured at that low price, I'd grab one while they're available.... I've had it for about 6 months now, hanging in the garage (with a dozen other frames waiting to be built...).

11-09-04, 01:32 AM #7
LittleGinseng
nightriding zen cyclist

wildjim,

I have a Titan frame from the same seller which has been built into a great ride. It also has SLX tubing(takes a 27.0 seatpost) but doesn't have the schnazzy paint job yours has. If you'd like to see pics I have them posted at the following link: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthrea...highlight=titan

Components are a mix of Chorus and Record. The ride is very solid and gets looks whenever I take it out. You're gonna love yours too!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11-09-04, 01:53 AM #8
wildjim

Originally Posted by LittleGinsengwildjim,

I have a Titan frame from the same seller which has been built into a great ride. It also has SLX tubing(takes a 27.0 seatpost) but doesn't have the schnazzy paint job yours has. If you'd like to see pics I have them posted at the following link: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthrea...highlight=titan

Components are a mix of Chorus and Record. The ride is very solid and gets looks whenever I take it out. You're gonna love yours too!

That's a great looking bicycle. Did you run into any snags when building it?

I hope mine will build that nice.

I am looking at a Ritchey Headset and 3TTT Bar, Stem and Seatpost(black). I prefer Silver Components but everything available is Black. The rest will be Campagnolo?

The Titan I purchased is not labeled? It specifies a 27.2 seatpost, 1" Headset and Italian 70mm BB. The lug work looks the same as your's.

11-09-04, 02:43 AM #9
LittleGinseng
nightriding zen cyclist

The only snag was not finding an NOS Campy 27.0 seatpost I went with the Synchros for that reason. I'm 6'4" and the frame is just a bit small for me at 60cm. The Synchros post works perfectly, is 250mm and is still lighter (7075-T6 aluminum) than any Campy post from the 80's.

All in all, the build went without any mishap. I've since changed to a lighter wheelset, and NOS Chorus aero-toeclip pedals are on the bike.

Are you going to be installing new or vintage parts on your frame?

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 04-25-07 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-24-07, 06:39 PM
ollo_ollo

Ebay project bike complete!

09-01-04, 11:06 PM #1
LittleGinseng
nightriding zen cyclist

After four months of accumulating components won at auction on Ebay, the end result is finally complete. With the exception of the spokes and nipples (purchased from Airbomb), tires (Performance Bike), and fork (Nashbar), all parts are from individuals or businesses auctioning their wares on Ebay. To all those Ebay members who are also members of this forum, I thank you. I couldn't have done it without you *

*Well, maybe I could have, but it was much more enjoyable doing it the way I did

Cheers!

09-01-04, 11:19 PM #2
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Dude, tell me more about those brake calipers. Those are HOT! That's a nice looking ride.

gcasillo
09-01-04, 11:59 PM #3
LittleGinseng
nightriding zen cyclist

Ahhhhh...those calipers Those are Modolo Superprestige brakes from the mid '80's. They have the sinterized pads to improve wet braking performance. I don't plan on riding this bike in the rain, but if I get caught in a downpour at least I know I'll still be able to stop.

Modolo also produced a Professional model. If you are fortunate enough to come across a set, snatch 'em up if you can. They are difficult to find in NOS condition. When I saw the white Superprestige's up for auction back in May, it was my mission to win them at all costs. As it turned out, I was the only bidder How lucky is that?

09-02-04, 01:02 AM #4

Wow... I'm not usually into vintage bikes and what not but that looks cool for some reason. Nice job!]

09-02-04, 01:26 AM #5
matanza
I just ride; can't you?

By the way how much did your project cost- total?

09-02-04, 06:03 AM #6
kerk

Very cool bike!! You did a great job! What year is the frame?

09-02-04, 07:30 AM #7
larue
Accident Prone

that is a rad ride. I too would like to now the final cost.

09-02-04, 07:57 AM #8
dobber
Former Typhoon Driver

Location: Reaching into that Suitcase Of Courage° Sweet looking ride. I've just embarked on a double. I've got a Surly 1x1 frame that's destined to become the ultimate FAV (fixed assault vehicle) and an early 70's Raleigh Competition for resurrection and restoration. Between planning, scrounging and blissful purchasing I should be content thru next spring.

09-02-04, 10:54 AM #9
livestrong91

Cool! Nice work!

09-02-04, 01:58 PM #10

Congrats on the new bike. Ebay is pretty awesome. I, too, would do it all over again with Ebay. Congrats again.

09-03-04, 12:20 AM #11
LittleGinseng
nightriding zen cyclist

Originally Posted by kerkVery cool bike!! You did a great job! What year is the frame?

I've been told the frame is from the mid to late 80's. The woman I won it from said she acquired a large number of Italian-made frames that were built for the now defunct Swiss Titan bicycle company. I've been trying to pin down the exact manufacturer, but noone seems to be able to give me a definitive answer. It's my belief they were made by Guerciotti. The heart-shaped lugs might indicate De Rosa, but I seriously doubt that. Anyone who can tell me for sure who built this frame, speak right up!
Originally Posted by matanzaBy the way how much did your project cost- total?

Originally Posted by laruethat is a rad ride. I too would like to now the final cost.

The best deal to be had was the Record 7-speed cassette that I paid only 3 bucks for. The brakes were the single most expensive component. Just about all the parts are NOS, which drove up the bids considerably. The wheelset I put together myself, which saved me some green. All told, after shipping costs, the final amount was well over a thousand dollars. But the satisfaction of having the right parts and putting it together myself was easily worth it.

Thanks for the compliments

09-03-04, 02:34 AM #12
fogrider

very cool and very retro! but do you really ride with toeclips?

09-03-04, 03:53 AM #13
LittleGinseng
nightriding zen cyclist

Originally Posted by fogridervery cool and very retro! but do you really ride with toeclips?

Thanks ...and yes, I REALLY ride with toe clips...have been for 20 years. I'm just a creature of habit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 04-25-07 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-24-07, 06:42 PM
ollo_ollo

??what columbus tubing is this ??

12-14-04, 05:23 AM #1
ybegin

I bought a titan bike on e-bay, the tube set is said to be columbus tubing but no columbus stickers on bike. THE FRAME IS NOS and is 1989 to 1992 vintage , it is not SLX or THRON , could be CROMOR or Aelle. the seat tube is 27.2 .
the thing is the downtube and toptube both have diamiond shape stamping all around them about 3" away from the lugs along the whole tubes which are apparent and under the paint. After receiving the frame I looked inside the downtube and the diamond patterns also shows inside.
I find it hard to believe the frame makers would do this to the tubing and would jepordize it's integrity, so my question is . Did columbus do this stamping at one time on some of there tubes and what tubing might it be. thanks

12-14-04, 09:36 AM #2
wildjim

Which frame did you buy?

Have any pictures?

I am amazed with the two I've built, very nice ride. . .

12-14-04, 04:38 PM #3
ybegin

Its A 52 cm blue,black purple, I was not crazy about the colour scheme but it looked a lot nicer then the picture when I received it, sure would like to know what tubing this is, got some NOS suntour sprint group to put on it.
Attached Thumbnails

wildjim

The frame material probably dosen't matter much except for a slight weight difference. https://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8e.2.html

Based on the photograghs from the website https://www.velomech.ch/ you gave me; your's may be Columbus CROMOR.

I was looking at the same model you have for my next build. . .

12-15-04, 11:28 AM #5

COLUMBUS TUBING

https://pcd403y.vsb.cz/personal/bike/columbus.htm

Tubing - Steel Type - Weight/gr. - Description

Aelle Carbon/Manganese/Vanadium 2,345 Lightweight and resilient, featuring cold-drown

thin-wall tubes. A tube set for amateur and sport cyclists.

Cromor 25 Cr Mo 4 2,190 Cold drawn and double butted, this tube set is ideal for more

demanding riders who favor the use of versitile, high performance frames at an affordable price.

Thron Chrome Molybenum 2,067 From the knowledge and experience of working with the EL/OS

in professional races, Columbus created a tube set with similar qualities at a lower price.

SL Chrome Molybdenum Cyclex 1,932 High performance, all purpose double butted road

racing tube set. SL has been the flagship tubing in the Columbus family for decades.

SLX Chrome Molybdenum Cyclex 1,966 "Superbutted" tube set with 5 cold-drawn helical

reinforcements. Making them the sturdy and resistant to deformation in the frames area of major

stress. Intended for the profressional cyclist.

PRX Chrome Molybdenum Cyclex 1,945 The newest Columbus tube set for high level

professional use. Offering maximum rigidity and low weight. Reinforced with five continuous spirals in addition to traditional double butting.

MAX/MINIMAX Nivacrom 1,940/1,670 Tubes with oval profiles oriented to the principal

axes of the active and passive stresses. Intended exclusively for the special competition machines.

EL/OS Nivacrom 1,670 Frames built with EL/OS tubing are the lightest of all, yet their

resistance and toughness are comparable to any other steel frameset. Designed for professional road

racing cyclists, and ideal for time trials, hill climbs, and triathalons.

GENIUS Nivacrom 1,450 DSB--Differential Shape Butted, is a revolution in tubing

construction. It was developed according to a new type of stress analysis that introduces third

deminsion in a tube's butting.

12-17-04, 01:18 AM #6
T-Mar

Did you check the bottom of the fork's steeerer tube for the spiral ridges? That would at least indicate it's Columbus. Is the tubing oversize or irregular shaped, outside of the impressions?

The diamond stamping is probably intended to stiffen the tubing, in much the same way as Colnago's Gilco, diamond shaped tubing.

12-17-04, 10:25 PM #7
ybegin

The fork was seperate from the frame and I know it is not columbus, and yes the tubing is round and normal shape. here is a link of what the frame looks like but I cant make out the tubing decal or if this frame has the same diamond pattern. this frame decals looks to be slx based on the colours of the stickers, my frame has no internal spirals in the seat tube at the bottom bracket. https://www.velomech.ch/images/rahmen/rahmen-52-7-g.jpg and here is another frame with the same pattern but with a different sticker on it https://www.velomech.ch/images/rahmen/rahmen-48-11-g.jpg (you can see the diamond pattern on the top tube.

12-17-04, 10:39 PM #8
sydney

Registered: Jan 2004 Originally Posted by ybeginThe fork was seperate from the frame and I know it is not columbus, and yes the tubing is round and normal shape. here is a link of what the frame looks like but I cant make out the tubing decal or if this frame has the same diamond pattern. this frame decals looks to be slx based on the colours of the stickers, my frame has no internal spirals in the seat tube at the bottom bracket. https://www.velomech.ch/images/rahmen/rahmen-52-7-g.jpg and here is another frame with the same pattern but with a different sticker on it https://www.velomech.ch/images/rahmen/rahmen-48-11-g.jpg (you can see the diamond pattern on the top tube.

The spirals mentioned with respect to the steerer would be on the INSIDE, at the base.
sydney

12-17-04, 10:42 PM #9
lotek
cartoon messiah

Is that a columbus Aelle tubing sticker?

marty

12-18-04, 01:14 AM #10
ybegin

Registered: Nov 2004 yes it may be aelle but after looking at several of these frames on different web sites by velomech.ch there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason for the stickers that are actually on the frames except for the thron frames which have nicer bottom bracket (built in bridge) and nicer drop out. then I found another one with the diamond pattern but it says it is oria tubing (not much info on oria tubing on the web.) https://www.velomech.ch/image/cromo-...silver-53cm.jpg

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 04-25-07 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-24-07, 06:47 PM
ollo_ollo

This is the description attached to one of the early e-Bay auctions from 2004, it had a "Buy it now" price of $135:
Description

This frame was built and painted in Italy for Swiss Manufacturer Titan in the 80's. They are new and unused. One of the junior champions won on a Titan! We purchased these frames from the sell off of inventory from the former Titan. We bought a lot of nice new old stock (NOS) from this company's warehouse.

Why buy a steel frame from this time era? The silver braze, the lug work, the effort put into these frames is no longer done. Today's bicycle companies find it too expensive to make frames with this much quality and style. You simply cannot buy frames of this quality anymore.
FRAME INFO:

Comes with binder bolt, Titan Decals, and an adjustable drop out screw

Color: Maroon Marble. Painted by Dossena Carlo.

Frame – Columbus tubing

Seat tube diameter 27.2 mm

From center of bottom bracket to top of top tube: 61 cm

From center of bottom bracket to center of seat post: 59 cm

Top Tube Length: 56.5 CM

Rear Drop out spacing 126 mm (from inside to inside)

Chainstay length: 16 inches

Rear triangle is chromed.

Has pump peg

Bottom bracket is 170

Internal back brake cable routing with internal cable router.

Braze (braize) on downtube shifter bosses

Braze on front derailleur hanger

Has rear deraillleur hanger

Chain hanger And

2 water bottle mounts

derosa type lugs

Campy Drop outs

Flaws: None

Keep in mind these are 20 some odd years old but have been sitting in a factory. We have tried to give all flaws but these are sold AS IS.

Bottom bracket: Our wholesaler believes the majority of these are italian brackets but we don't have a tool to say for sure we aren't guaranteeing it as we just don't yet have the correct tool to measure accurately.

Comes with a Tange full sloping fork that we had shipped with the frame. It is chrome.

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 04-25-07 at 06:03 AM.
Old 04-24-07, 06:50 PM
ollo_ollo

Many thanks to jefpac for saving some of these Titan threads in his laptop. I noticed a post by sydney was among them. Don
Old 04-24-07, 06:54 PM
ollo_ollo

This is some info from a recent e-Bay auction:

Guerciotti Frame
This auction is for vintage Guerciotti 54cm steel frame, made with beautiful Columbus EL steel tubing. This is one of the nicer steel frames on the market - built from the ground up in Milan, Italy and painted by the artists at Dossena Carlo!
• Beautiful Nivacrom Extralite EL tubing by Columbus EL tubing
• Fork is made from the same Columbus EL tubing, painted and chromed
• The top tube has internal cable routing
• Full chrome rear triangle is spotless
• The top of the brake bridge is engraved with the name "Paulo Guerciotti"
• Italian BB required
• Tiny peg to hold the chain when the rear wheel is out
• Small race-day number holder on the backside of the steer tube
• AWESOME paint job! This frame was painted by Dossena Carlo, the same company that paints the old Casattis. Mica Pearl varnish finsih.
• This frame was built up and sat on the floor of a bike shop for many years. However, aside froma few small scuffs, and clamp marks, there is no rear wear to describe.
• Rear spacing is 130mm.
Attached Images
260b_1[1].jpg (14.4 KB, 600 views)

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 04-25-07 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-16-07, 12:54 PM
yuyax

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry if this has been posted before but, did you guys see this auction that ended in 6/10:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Titan frame with Shimano 600 for $85 + $65 shipping.

It looks like it was a good deal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.