Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

3 x 6 crankset question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

3 x 6 crankset question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 09:11 AM
recovering

Bikes: Panasonic 10 Spd Deluxe ca. early 80s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
3 x 6 crankset question

I'm a casual plonker and need to replace my current crankset. Having some difficulty locating 3 x 6s that appear any better made than my current (press fit/welded rings). What is the down side to installing a 3x7 or -8 with my 6 gear freewheel?
Old 03-31-21, 09:17 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by recovering
I'm a casual plonker and need to replace my current crankset. Having some difficulty locating 3 x 6s that appear any better made than my current (press fit/welded rings). What is the down side to installing a 3x7 or -8 with my 6 gear freewheel?
Are you replacing your crankset and your freewheel?
Old 03-31-21, 09:21 AM
recovering

Bikes: Panasonic 10 Spd Deluxe ca. early 80s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hadn't planned to.
Old 03-31-21, 09:26 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
You need to look at whether the freewheel will fit. It might not fit between the frame.

You may need a new derailleur.

You may need a longer chain.
Old 03-31-21, 10:33 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Not enough information given. Start with make and model of your current bicycle, and year if known. Then make and model of your crankset, if known. Also, number of teeth on each of the three chainrings. Type of interface appears to be tapered square spindle.

Now, what is your budget for the replacement?

After you've removed your crankset, then you can measure your existing spindle. If you want to re-use the bottom bracket bearing and spindle, then this measurement will tell you whether any particular replacement crankset will be compatible. Full replacement of the bottom bracket bearing/spindle plus crank becomes an economic/availability decision based on what you have now.

Please provide the requested information.
Old 03-31-21, 10:38 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
If you're only replacing the crankset of a 3x6 drivetrain, with a new triple, there really shouldn't be any triple crankset that won't work. You may also need to replace the bottom bracket, but if your existing crankset is square taper, any square taper, triple crank, should work just fine. You may need to verify taper standards and spindle length, are the only things I can think of that might go wrong?
Old 03-31-21, 10:45 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Are you replacing your crankset and your freewheel?
I just don’t see the point of your question. It sounds like recovering wants to replace the crank on an existing drivetrain.

Originally Posted by alo
You need to look at whether the freewheel will fit. It might not fit between the frame.

You may need a new derailleur.

You may need a longer chain.
No, recovering won’t need a new derailer or a chain or to see if the freewheel will fit in the frame. I’m assuming that recovering has a 6 speed drivetrain already.

You haven’t said why you want to replace it but, assuming that you are replacing an old crank with a newer, better crank, the “speed” won’t matter. I’d suggest looking for used at this point because triples have become rare and the ones offered are often not much better than the riveted (not welded) rings you have.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-31-21, 10:55 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I just don’t see the point of your question. It sounds like recovering wants to replace the crank on an existing drivetrain.

No, OP asked about replacing a 3 x 6 with a 3 x 7 or 3 x 8. That is why I asked.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 03-31-21, 12:29 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
No, OP asked about replacing a 3 x 6 with a 3 x 7 or 3 x 8. That is why I asked.
I think you missed this part.

.... installing a 3x7 or -8 with my 6 gear freewheel?
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-31-21, 05:51 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
As said a 6s rear drive will work just fine with 6/7/8 and even most 9s cranksets. Assuming BSA threaded square taper bottom bracket what you have to pay attention to is BB spindle length and chainline. The crankset chosen determines what BB spindle length you will need. If you're lucky your existing BB is "close enough" to give a decent chainline and not interfere with stays. Or you buy a $15 Shimano UN 26 bottom bracket with the spindle length your new crank requires. Likely may need to do some adjustment on your FD
Old 03-31-21, 07:15 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
When I swapped out my 3X Chain rings on my MTB I reused the BB (sq taper) and had to shim out the FD to get the proper chainline, but it wasn't a big deal. I could have replaced the BB and avoided the shimming, but the one in it was less than a year old and in good nick. My new 3X had taller gears so I did have to add a couple links to the chain also. Not sure what recovering is actually trying to do though.
Old 04-01-21, 08:19 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Perhaps I’m not fully understanding the question but to me, I seems like the OP only wants to replace the the crankset. Correct me if I’m wrong but I wasn’t aware that 3-ring cranksets were specific to the number of cogs on the freewheel/cassette (at least in the 5 to 8 range). What matters most is whether the replacement crankset fits on the current spindle properly i.e. without contacting the chainstay or conversely, being so far from the chainstay that the chainline is adversely affected. As mentioned, the spindle may require replacement too!
The OP wasn’t specific as to why the current crankset needed to be replaced other than wanting one that would “appear any better made” than the OEM one. Is the current crankset damaged? Does it not function properly? That reason would definitely be a factor, IMHO, in the decision to put any effort into this project. I too, would need more info RE: the bike’s make, model and age before spending time, effort and/or money on this project.

Last edited by sovende; 04-01-21 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-01-21, 09:18 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
A lot to unpack here.

While bike value is not the driving force, it does lead to a woulda-shoulda situation depending on the cost.

I would guess your bike is either inexpensive, older, or both.

You can go from a 2x to a 3x and it doesn’t matter if the crankset is designed for 6,7, or 8 speed.

With that change, you might need a new front derailleur for the wider chainring range, or you might get by with what you have.

You can go from a 6 speed to 7 speed freewheel without issue, except if you are running 6 speed index shifters and not friction. Which might mean new shifters.

There is a snowball effect depending on what you have, and no one here knows exactly what you have.

Upgrading always “sounds” like a good idea until one thing leads to another and then you should have just bought another bike, even a used or inexpensive one.

John
Old 04-02-21, 10:41 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
A lot to unpack here.

While bike value is not the driving force, it does lead to a woulda-shoulda situation depending on the cost.

I would guess your bike is either inexpensive, older, or both.

You can go from a 2x to a 3x and it doesn’t matter if the crankset is designed for 6,7, or 8 speed.

With that change, you might need a new front derailleur for the wider chainring range, or you might get by with what you have.

You can go from a 6 speed to 7 speed freewheel without issue, except if you are running 6 speed index shifters and not friction. Which might mean new shifters.

There is a snowball effect depending on what you have, and no one here knows exactly what you have.

Upgrading always “sounds” like a good idea until one thing leads to another and then you should have just bought another bike, even a used or inexpensive one.

John
I kinda thought I was saying this ^^^ but you said it better !