Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Canti Bosses Prep

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Canti Bosses Prep

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-21, 08:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Canti Bosses Prep

Since sort of retiring I've done a bunch of frame work but nothing ready for the public but for this point in time while making the second unicrown fork I've done. With about 85mm between the insides of the Columbus blades and a goal of about 82mm between the canti posts the contact area they share is small. So I sleeved the canti base to increase the OD and added a cap to what will be the big open "mouth" under the sleeve. BTW I used my bench grinder to do most of the sleeve's mitering. Andy

Old 12-01-21, 09:11 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I like that idea of sleeving the canti boss. I'll make a note of that.
Old 12-02-21, 02:14 AM
guy153

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Very nice! A common problem nowadays as people want such wide tyres and don't expect anyone to still be using rim brakes. Caps always look neater. I also cap the bottom of the steerer under the unicrown. Should probably drill a drainage hole but it's surely better than what normally happens which is that whole area gets filled with mud.
Old 12-02-21, 09:26 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Nicely done, Andy!
Old 12-07-21, 10:36 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Thought I'd follow up on this thread. Here's the backside of the fork with the bosses capping shown. You can see how far off blade the bosses are and why I sometimes increase the boss base diameter. Andy
Old 12-09-21, 12:41 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Another option is angling the stand-off tubes. Then you have a full miter and no gap to cap off.

Sorry about the dirty fork with a rattle-can paintjob. Fork made in '84 and modified (longer steerer) in the '90s, too cheap for a proper respray.
Also sorry if the angled standoffs idea is too obvious to bother mentioning.

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 12-09-21, 02:57 AM
guy153

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Not too obvious at all. Wish I'd thought of that when I made my first fork with canti bosses. I couldn't think of a solution and re-made the whole fork to be narrower!
Old 12-09-21, 09:22 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

I did something like that a long time ago. But I had a short 1/2" tube coming off the blade at 90* and the base of the boss also at a 90* with the support tube. A "repair" on a MtB fork when they were rigid and the rims were skinny. I like your angled supporting tube, much nicer. Andy