Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Bentrider Online Forum

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Bentrider Online Forum

Old 01-29-22, 10:10 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Again they must have really rotten IT guys in NY!!!!!!
Old 01-29-22, 10:17 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I got in this morning using https:// but still got the expired certificate message. Some browsers may not care, but mine does. What it means is that when you log in, your passwords are sent 'in the clear' and are susceptible to hacking. A hacker could get your password and then masquerade as you, or try to use it to hack into other accounts you may have. (Moral: use different passwords everywhere, but especially there!) Bryan doesn't seem to care because the certificate has been expired for over a year and he's done nothing about it, not even acknowledge it.
Old 01-29-22, 10:20 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I got in this morning using https:// but still got the expired certificate message. Some browsers may not care, but mine does. What it means is that when you log in, your passwords are sent 'in the clear' and are susceptible to hacking. A hacker could get your password and then masquerade as you, or try to use it to hack into other accounts you may have. (Moral: use different passwords everywhere, but especially there!) Bryan doesn't seem to care because the certificate has been expired for over a year and he's done nothing about it, not even acknowledge it.
Holy crap. I did not know that. Thank you.

I usually use a common password to basic sites like this one or bentrider.
Old 01-29-22, 11:08 AM
bent4me

Bikes: Recumbents and all HPV'S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
Bryan hasn't been active on his forum for quite sometime. I don't think he's interested anymore. Fortunately, we have many FB groups which offer more.
Just my $.02
Likes For bent4me:
Old 01-29-22, 09:17 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Damn FB to hell.

I'll see you guys on the next recumbent forum that gets some momentum. Doubt it's this one.
Old 01-30-22, 06:42 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Yeah, Facebook ain't gonna happen. People are getting fed up with that awful platform. Nothing but a wasteland of memes and ads.
Old 01-31-22, 08:54 AM
iambent

Bikes: RANS Stratus 700, Bacchetta Corsa, HPV Gekko FX 20, Rover Tandem

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, Facebook ain't gonna happen. People are getting fed up with that awful platform. Nothing but a wasteland of memes and ads.
Kind of like this forum, ads popping up everywhere. Facebook is to disjointed. It’s not like a forum, everything is in groups. Most of the groups are brand specific. There are some recumbent groups, but you would have to jump around between the groups.

The only recumbent specific recumbent forum alternative I see to BROL is the forum at recumbents.com. More basic than BROL, not as many bells and whistles, but Warren is a active and present administrator.
Old 01-31-22, 10:54 AM
larryforgy

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by iambent
Kind of like this forum, ads popping up everywhere. Facebook is to disjointed. It’s not like a forum, everything is in groups. Most of the groups are brand specific. There are some recumbent groups, but you would have to jump around between the groups.

The only recumbent specific recumbent forum alternative I see to BROL is the forum at recumbents.com. More basic than BROL, not as many bells and whistles, but Warren is a active and present administrator.
I quite like the recumbents.com forum. There is a lot of good information there. I recently posted my first message, but the site lacks a critical mass, so my post went unanswered. Still, I'll hang around a bit to see if the readership grows. I am down to trying BROL every 3-4 days, but if I can't get in with a few tries, I move on.

After all this time, I think the BROL community has suffered serious damage. I don't know anything about Bryan, but I can't help thinking that some professional IT help could have had the site back up and running in a few days, or even prevented this disaster. The site has shown signs for years of being cobbled together in an amateur patchwork. This may not be fatal yet, but it is definitely the 11th hour.
Likes For larryforgy:
Old 01-31-22, 11:27 AM
Steamer

I haven't had any problems the last 5 days or so.

Forcing https seems to still be the essential trick to getting in.

https://bentrideronline.com/messageboard/index.php

As for other forums, any old platform will do so long as that forum reaches critical mass of participants. Right now things are spread thin.

The only reservation I have about recumbents.com is that the moderation there always seemed a bit thin. Obnoxious bullies who were banned on BROL pull the same stuff over there and was considered ok. At least that's the way it used to be when there was more activity over there (quite a few years ago now).
Old 01-31-22, 11:29 AM
Steamer

There is this also recumbent riders. org. too. Link I posted doesn't work for some reason. Google that and you'll find it.

Not very active now, but it could be if we made it so.

Last edited by Steamer; 02-01-22 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-01-22, 12:42 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Did you test that link Steamer? Took me to an Evangelical Lutheran Church in Nashville, TN.
Old 02-01-22, 05:36 AM
Steamer

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Did you test that link Steamer? Took me to an Evangelical Lutheran Church in Nashville, TN.
I just tried and its the correct site but when I post the link it fails to work - just says that site doesn't exist. I have no idea what you are talking about WRT a church. I thought I had you on ignore over here too but I guess not.
Old 02-01-22, 03:23 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
I thought I had you on ignore over here too but I guess not.
What can I say. I must be doing something right though. I've got a ton of likes to my credit. And in 15 years I've got no locked threads, no bans ... I'm not nearly as bad as you think. But you go ahead and do what makes you happy. Peace.
Old 02-01-22, 03:41 PM
BlazingPedals

Recumbent Riders International is what became of the old ROCKET (Recumbents Of Centeral Kentucky/Eastern Tennessee) group. Pretty low-volume these days. Although they do have a nice recumbent rally in May. I've been once. There were 99 trikes, a highracer, and me on my Baron. And that was a few years ago.

As much as I like Warren, the group at recumbents.com includes some individuals who have been personna-non-grata at BROL since its inception.Participating there is not worth the aggravation, for me.

edit: I fixed the link so it doesn't point to the church but it keeps redirecting. try typing it in manually: https://www. recumbentriders. org

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 02-03-22 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-03-22, 06:43 PM
BlazingPedals

Kind of like this forum, ads popping up everywhere.
I was wondering what you were talking about, and then I realized that I have an ad-blocker. I know they don't like us using blockers, but they sort of necessitate it since without one the site is almost unusable.
Old 02-04-22, 10:11 AM
Triketech

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little update.
Bryan had a precocious surprise on the birth of their child recently. Bentrider isn't really a way to pay for baby food if you get my drift.

Personally I'm pretty thankful for his efforts. Old websites become an extraordinary chore. No way of telling whether he'll resurrect it or not.
Old 02-04-22, 12:06 PM
iambent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was wondering what you were talking about, and then I realized that I have an ad-blocker. I know they don't like us using blockers, but they sort of necessitate it since without one the site is almost unusable.
I forgot to turn my ad blocker back on. I have to turn it off for certain sites and then forget to turn it back on.
Old 02-04-22, 12:23 PM
iambent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is this also recumbent riders. org. too. Link I posted doesn't work for some reason. Google that and you'll find it.

Not very active now, but it could be if we made it so.
I forgotten about Recumbent Riders forum until I read Steamer's post. It's a nice forum setup similar to BROL. A.D. Wade is the administrator and active in the forum. I've used it in the past and sold bikes off of it. Definitely not as active as BROL, but probably has more interaction than other alternatives. Of course, if enough of us BROL'ers go over there it could get very active.

BROL is hit and miss for me. My desktop and laptop access are about 50-50. With phone and iPad can seldom access the site. When I do get on it is usually slow and sometimes it does not display correctly.

recumbentriders.org/forums/

Last edited by iambent; 02-04-22 at 01:05 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 02-05-22, 06:12 PM
Steamer

I forgotten about Recumbent Riders forum until I read Steamer's post. It's a nice forum setup similar to BROL. A.D. Wade is the administrator and active in the forum. I've used it in the past and sold bikes off of it. Definitely not as active as BROL, but probably has more interaction than other alternatives. Of course, if enough of us BROL'ers go over there it could get very active.

BROL is hit and miss for me. My desktop and laptop access are about 50-50. With phone and iPad can seldom access the site. When I do get on it is usually slow and sometimes it does not display correctly.

recumbentriders.org/forums/
Well, you won't see me on that forum apparently. My IP address was blocked after I attempted to set up an account there. I can take a hint.
Old 02-05-22, 06:41 PM
BlazingPedals

You might email wade and ask why. One forum apparently had my ISP tagged as a spam domain. A rather large local ISP, not likely!
Old 02-05-22, 07:07 PM
Steamer

You might email wade and ask why. One forum apparently had my ISP tagged as a spam domain. A rather large local ISP, not likely!
I have no email address for him. The page that comes up when I try to connect provides no exit strategy. Just a notification that you are banned. I can't even view the forum, much less compete the sign up process.
Old 02-06-22, 07:42 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10885 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
Well, you won't see me on that forum apparently. My IP address was blocked after I attempted to set up an account there. I can take a hint.
Place wouldn't accept my PW so I asked for a reset. Never got an email to do so.

Edit, just found out that my Comcast IP is banned, also.

Old 02-06-22, 09:26 AM
Steamer

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Place wouldn't accept my PW so I asked for a reset. Never got an email to do so.

Edit, just found out that my Comcast IP is banned, also.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
Old 02-06-22, 02:03 PM
iambent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
Tom,
I sent you and Dennis PM's about the Recumbent Riders issue. A.D. says it's a spam blocker issue and he needs to whitelist the IP addresses. A.D. is a really nice guy and he's not intentionally blocking you. He stated in his PM that all BROL members are welcome to join.
Old 02-07-22, 12:23 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Recumbent Riders relaxed their standards and let me join! 😀

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.