Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

LBS --- Accept Checks?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

LBS --- Accept Checks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-22, 04:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
If you are still writing checks at local retail businesses, then I'm very surprised you haven't run into this at other businesses many years ago. It's by no way limited to LBS's. Checks take more time to clear so the business can't be assured they get their money and though illegal it just cost too much to hunt down and prosecute anyone that writes a bad check. And they can cost more to run through services that verify them on the spot than the fees the business pays to take a credit or debit card.
Old 04-27-22, 04:15 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I don't know of any business that doesn't deal with banks in some way, so they still pay banking fees whether the sales transactions are electronic or not.
??? There's an extra percentage (about 3%) related specifically to credit card use. That's the fee people are talking about. It's more of a "credit card network" fee (not a "banking" fee). It's big enough that some business are adding it to your bill.
Old 04-27-22, 04:54 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Rolla,
I don't think we're disagreeing. But, the last comment about dino's was missing the point entirely. Isn't this about having a choice about how to run your business or to where you want to spend your money. No need to disparage anyone. Do your business with whomever you choose, up to you.
Old 04-27-22, 05:21 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I do not blame a store for not accepting cheques.
Old 04-27-22, 05:31 PM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Champlaincycler
Curious as to how some of you know that fraudulent checks are a bigger risk than bad CC's.
With credit cards, the merchant is typically not liable for fraud provided they follow their processor's rules (such as chip cards inserted vs swiped). That's because the processing network has responsibility for checking the validity and either authorizing or denying the charge.

With paper checks, if the merchant is not using some sort of verification service, they're SOL if the check turns out to be fraudulent.

As to your experiences with companies accepting checks - they may be using check verification systems if they're getting enough checks to justify it, or they're in a place or in a type of business where there's a lot less check fraud. Criminals are much more likely to go write a rubber check for a $1500 bicycle they can quickly sell than they are to go write rubber checks for icecream or woodworking supplies.
Old 04-27-22, 05:34 PM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Where’s the exercise in that? It’s nice to get out of the chair and take a walk. Never get hacked that way.
That's different than there being no other practical way to deposit money into your brokerage account...

Do remember that your name, ACH routing number and account number is sitting on the front of every one of those paper checks for anyone to take a picture of...
Old 04-27-22, 05:34 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I wouldn't take a check from me.
My credit is so bad they won't even accept my cash.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 04-27-22, 05:41 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Champlaincycler
Rolla,
I don't think we're disagreeing. But, the last comment about dino's was missing the point entirely. Isn't this about having a choice about how to run your business or to where you want to spend your money. No need to disparage anyone. Do your business with whomever you choose, up to you.
What disparagement? I was talking about literal dinosaurs. Like them, businesses and individuals who do not deal with digital/electronic transactions will eventually be a thing of the past.
Old 04-27-22, 11:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,988 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
What disparagement? I was talking about literal dinosaurs. Like them, businesses and individuals who do not deal with digital/electronic transactions will eventually be a thing of the past.
Hey attacking the dinosaurs is just too soon! That sort of comedy is just wrong. The best jokes are ones that don't disparage those who have so recently passed.

I will say though business who don't deal in cash are a little odd, I get the whole future is digital stuff but dollar bills and coins with dead peoples faces are legal tender for all debts public and private. There are occasions when I actually have cash that I want to use rather than my card. I know that yes actually having change is tough but if you just deal in bills and make your pricing tax inclusive as needed so it adds up to say $2.00 instead of $1.97 or something like that it isn't so bad.
Old 04-27-22, 11:15 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Lambkin55
They told me they do not accept personal checks. They only deal in cash and credit cards.
Is this a new thing in the bike world?
Does your LBS accept personal checks?
From my understanding of how checks work in the U.S., the LBS would have to purchase an additional service from their current payment provider so funds can be taken from a check real-time (as a credit advice), just as many grocery stores do.

No business will accept an "honesty" check without such financial service. I don't blame them. I have never accepted a personal check in my whole life and have little sympathy to waste any time explaining to a payer why.

I'm a private bike-flipper and I pay about US$50 in fees each month to a provider so I can accept credit cards. 50% of the time a buyer comes up with the story of how they don't have enough cash, and when I whip out the CC terminal, a routine hereditary instinct in them just takes over and they pull out their plastic.
Old 04-28-22, 03:26 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes

I will say though business who don't deal in cash are a little odd
Did anyone mention a business not dealing in cash? Most retail businesses won't take cheques, but cash is not usually a problem unless it's a large purchase item. Then money laundering rules kick in (at least here in the UK)
Old 04-28-22, 03:29 AM
PeteHski

Where’s the exercise in that? It’s nice to get out of the chair and take a walk. Never get hacked that way.
You are still free to take a walk regardless. The time it frees up just gives you more options.
Old 04-28-22, 03:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
You are still free to take a walk regardless. The time it frees up just gives you more options.
I like to have a purpose for those types of walks. And having had personal information stolen from a couple of company systems, including my health insurance provider, I prefer to keep my digital footprint as small as possible. Your information is always secure until it’s not.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-28-22, 03:54 AM
PeteHski

I like to have a purpose for those types of walks.
I guess if that's what it takes.... but it's still not a valid argument. As for stealing personal info, it's a drop in the ocean. Your digital footprint will be much bigger than you imagine anyway unless you really go out of your way to inconvenience yourself.
Old 04-28-22, 04:00 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Welcome to the new normal. Cashless society
Old 04-28-22, 04:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I remember when small businesses generally took checks, and it was decades ago. Remember the gallery of bounced checks businesses would hang on the wall next to the register?
The merchant gets charged a fee if the check bounces so they not only get stiffed, they lose about $25. That's reason enough to refuse to take the risk.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-28-22, 04:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Welcome to the new normal. Cashless society

Checks aren't cash. That's kind of the point.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-28-22, 04:18 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I don’t use credit cards very often. I carry cash and debit usually pay with cash at my local bike shop and they actually have a cash register. I have never asked whether they take checks. They have been around since the seventies so they are “old school’ in some ways. I don’t think it is unusual for a shop not to accept checks. I still do at my shop and in 39 years have only had a couple of bad checks.
Old 04-28-22, 04:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I like to have a purpose for those types of walks. And having had personal information stolen from a couple of company systems, including my health insurance provider, I prefer to keep my digital footprint as small as possible. Your information is always secure until it’s not.

Information like your routing and account numbers? How is the utility company on a having that on a paper check any different from having a card number? By the way, my utilities are paid by electronic check, if anything it's more secure than paper checks going through real space (mail or handed to a clerk) prior to being entered electronically. That check is going to be part of your digital footprint just as much as any non-cash payment, it's just a matter of who's going to enter the information.
Old 04-28-22, 04:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Last thing on this--I know an attorney who will no longer take personal checks because a bank retroactively bounced a check about 3 months after it was deposited and credited to the account. That threw off the balance of the trust account, which is a very big deal.

I have no idea what would cause the delay in the bounce.
Old 04-28-22, 04:32 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
I’m kind of surprised that this seems to be the OP’s first experience with a business not accepting checks. This has been pretty common I think for over a decade around here.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 04-28-22, 04:45 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I don’t think it is unusual for a shop not to accept checks.
I guess that depends where you live. Pretty much all retail shops here stopped taking cheques/checks about a decade ago.
Old 04-28-22, 05:08 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Last thing on this--I know an attorney who will no longer take personal checks because a bank retroactively bounced a check about 3 months after it was deposited and credited to the account. That threw off the balance of the trust account, which is a very big deal.

I have no idea what would cause the delay in the bounce.
The banks often give you the money before the check clears and it can take a while until the check clears.

There are a lot of scams based on things working this way.
Old 04-28-22, 06:21 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I'm seeing businesses not taking cash in my area. My favorite restaurant only takes checks or cash and they have a 2 week reservation wait......

What really annoys me are restaurants w/o paper menus. Reading a menu on my phone after scanning a QR code isn't my idea of fun. I never return to such places.
Old 04-28-22, 06:31 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Long’s Bakery shops - best donuts in the American Heartland - are CASH ONLY!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.