Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire Pressure

Old 06-09-22, 02:12 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
The model is too crude, with too many simplifying assumptions.
It's a shame that a single datum can disprove the most carefully constructed hypothesis. Only in this case there are reams of data validating the Martin model starting with what's included in the paper itself.
Old 06-09-22, 02:38 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
The model is too crude
What, rotational inertia within Newtonian mechanics?

Yeah, it hasn't been updated since the 18th century. Whenever I'm riding my bicycle at 200,000,000mph on the surface of a neutron star, the predictions end up WAY off.
Old 06-09-22, 03:08 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Actually, I was hoping to get an idea if your lived experience may have included heavy vs light wheels in a competition setting.

I agree that a person's cycling experience does not influence the laws of physics. But we're not talking about the laws of physics. We're talking about the accuracy of a model, loaded with assumptions. If it contradicts decades, no, generations of lived experience and wisdom, then it is to be questioned. Models are not 'authorities'. I think those who parrot so-called 'scientists' going against such lived experience might not have that lived experience as a common-sense check on their opinions. When they assert "facts" as "proven", it looks really dumb, frankly. It reminds me of people on an audio forum who judge equipment by test results, quite literally without any listening. Their opinions are worthless.

When a current racer tells me he thinks his aero wheels make more difference than light ones in a criterium, I'll credit that opinion highly. However, my own explanation for his opinion is that he has not tried competing on heavy wheels, so has no experience to really make the comparison.

The model is too crude, with too many simplifying assumptions. That it can be used to "prove" that weight off the wheels is no better than weight off of anywhere else is evidence of its need for refinement, rather than evidence of its accuracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3dZl3yfGpc
You seem to think that science begins and ends with models.

Originally Posted by asgelle
It's a shame that a single datum can disprove the most carefully constructed hypothesis. Only in this case there are reams of data validating the Martin model starting with what's included in the paper itself.
And that's how it works: models are tested with data.

This part is especially funny, as you're stating that you value your own personal and anecdotal judgment above other people's personal and anecdotal judgments:

When a current racer tells me he thinks his aero wheels make more difference than light ones in a criterium, I'll credit that opinion highly. However, my own explanation for his opinion is that he has not tried competing on heavy wheels, so has no experience to really make the comparison.
Old 06-09-22, 03:41 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 895 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
What, rotational inertia within Newtonian mechanics?
I suspect the crudeness lies in the simplifying assumptions.
Old 06-09-22, 04:02 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Originally Posted by Koyote
This part is especially funny, as you're stating that you value your own personal and anecdotal judgment above other people's personal and anecdotal judgments:
Not that there's anything wrong with that, but... actually I'm trying to hypothesize why his might be different. Such a hypothesis in an audio analogy, for example, would be that people actually hear differently. I'm just guessing that the rider may not have experience with heavier wheels, and that if such a rider lost two pounds of weight himself, and then was given a bike identical except for an extra pound on each wheel because of heavier rims and tires, he would prefer to gain a couple of pounds, and get his old bike back, if that was the choice. Just a guess.
Old 06-09-22, 04:50 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
I suspect the crudeness lies in the simplifying assumptions.
Such as?
Likes For asgelle:
Old 06-09-22, 05:00 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
“In general, with all of those variables [like weather and riders’ personal preference], that tire pressure is 8 to 8.5 bar for the road stages, and then 9.5 to 10 bar for the time-trial stages. Around 115 psi in the front and 125 psi in the back for the road stages and 130-135 psi for time-trial stages.

https://www.bicycling.com/racing/g20...trial%20stages.
Old 06-09-22, 05:04 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Yeah, it hasn't been updated since the 18th century. Whenever I'm riding my bicycle at 200,000,000mph on the surface of a neutron star, the predictions end up WAY off.
The surface of a neutron star is like fresh asphalt, so you'll want to use 23mm tires at a pretty high pressure. But, of course, that's all common knowledge.
Old 06-09-22, 05:06 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
“In general, with all of those variables [like weather and riders’ personal preference], that tire pressure is 8 to 8.5 bar for the road stages, and then 9.5 to 10 bar for the time-trial stages. Around 115 psi in the front and 125 psi in the back for the road stages and 130-135 psi for time-trial stages.

That quote is at least 6 years old, FYI.
Old 06-09-22, 05:23 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Not that there's anything wrong with that, but... actually I'm trying to hypothesize why his might be different. Such a hypothesis in an audio analogy, for example, would be that people actually hear differently. I'm just guessing that the rider may not have experience with heavier wheels, and that if such a rider lost two pounds of weight himself, and then was given a bike identical except for an extra pound on each wheel because of heavier rims and tires, he would prefer to gain a couple of pounds, and get his old bike back, if that was the choice. Just a guess.
You've picked a poor example. The relative effect of rotational mass vs static mass on acceleration is very well understood in physics. It doesn't require any anecdotal rider experience to validate at this point in time. In case you missed it earlier, mass added on the wheel rim is equivalent to twice that mass added on the frame, but only when the bike is accelerating. When the bike is not accelerating (e.g. climbing a hill at a steady speed) then mass added onto the wheel is the same as mass added anywhere else. The only subjective element in this is how the bike might "feel" to the rider with lighter vs heavier wheels.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-09-22, 05:28 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard

Well if that's good enough for you, fill your boots! (or tyres in this case)
Old 06-09-22, 05:47 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Originally Posted by PeteHski
You've picked a poor example. The relative effect of rotational mass vs static mass on acceleration is very well understood in physics. It doesn't require any anecdotal rider experience to validate at this point in time. In case you missed it earlier, mass added on the wheel rim is equivalent to twice that mass added on the frame, but only when the bike is accelerating. When the bike is not accelerating (e.g. climbing a hill at a steady speed) then mass added onto the wheel is the same as mass added anywhere else. The only subjective element in this is how the bike might "feel" to the rider with lighter vs heavier wheels.
I just don't get how they get from 'makes a difference during acceleration', with or without an 'only', to 'makes no difference'. I'll need to watch the video again - ugh. It may be as simple as what a 'difference' is. If it is something as simple as expenditure of energy, I won't be interested in arguing. If it's getting dropped or not, it's wrong.
Old 06-09-22, 05:59 PM
PeteHski

I just don't get how they get from 'makes a difference during acceleration', with or without an 'only', to 'makes no difference'. I'll need to watch the video again - ugh. It may be as simple as what a 'difference' is. If it is something as simple as expenditure of energy, I won't be interested in arguing. If it's getting dropped or not, it's wrong.
You either understand the concepts of rotational and translational acceleration and how they relate to mass or you don't. Most people don't unless they have a background in physics, applied maths or mechanical engineering.
Old 06-09-22, 06:45 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Aren't bikes always in a state of acceleration and deceleration? Full power is applied from about 1 o'clock until 5 o'clock with dead spots at the bottom and top of the stroke. We are never really in a steady state when riding or at least that has been my assumption

A pound in the wheels or two on the whole bike for a criterium rider? I think it could be significant. Average Fondue rider? Hard to see any meaningful difference. Hillclimb TT? 1% less weight on an hour climb should get you about a minute, whether in the wheels, you, or elsewhere on the bike. Extra weight on a climb is probably a larger effect than incorrect tire pressure.
Old 06-09-22, 06:48 PM
HTupolev

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Aren't bikes always in a state of acceleration and deceleration? Full power is applied from about 1 o'clock until 5 o'clock with dead spots at the bottom and top of the stroke. We are never really in a steady state when riding or at least that has been my assumption
Yes, but inertia works both ways. A heavier rim that resists acceleration also resists deceleration.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 06-09-22, 06:53 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,905 Times in 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The surface of a neutron star is like fresh asphalt, so you'll want to use 23mm tires at a pretty high pressure.
Woo hoo! I’m covered!

Last edited by smd4; 06-09-22 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-09-22, 10:33 PM
tankist

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
Not clear why exactly "twice"? According to rotational physics:

https://openstax.org/books/physics/p...ational-motion

the radius of the wheel comes into play. Basically the larger the wheel the more pronounced effect of the rim weight.
Old 06-09-22, 11:02 PM
HTupolev

Originally Posted by tankist
Not clear why exactly "twice"?

Basically the larger the wheel the more pronounced effect of the rim weight.
After you account for the fact that larger wheels rotate slower at a given bicycle speed, rotational kinetic energy for a given bicycle speed is double for mass at the rim than the same mass on the frame.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 06-10-22, 02:49 AM
PeteHski

A pound in the wheels or two on the whole bike for a criterium rider? I think it could be significant. Average Fondue rider? Hard to see any meaningful difference. Hillclimb TT? 1% less weight on an hour climb should get you about a minute, whether in the wheels, you, or elsewhere on the bike. Extra weight on a climb is probably a larger effect than incorrect tire pressure.
No, bikes are not always in a state of acceleration/deceleration. Regardless of our lumpy power output, a bike can and does travel at a steady speed (there is too much inertia to slow down in-between pedal stroke dead-spots). So you really want to drop that "micro-acceleration" assumption as it is a fallacy that has no meaningful effect on calculations related to how fast the bike accelerates.

When you are actually accelerating the bike during a sprint or out of a corner, then an extra pound on the wheels will be equivalent to 2 extra pounds on the frame in terms of calculating the time it would take to accelerate from v1 to v2.

Extra weight on a steady climb has the same effect regardless of where you save it. So a pound saved on the wheels is the same as a pound saved on the frame. Lighter is just faster when climbing against gravity, but wheel mass is not to be treated as a special case because you are not adding in any rotational acceleration in this scenario.
Old 06-10-22, 03:03 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by tankist
Not clear why exactly "twice"? According to rotational physics:

https://openstax.org/books/physics/p...ational-motion

the radius of the wheel comes into play. Basically the larger the wheel the more pronounced effect of the rim weight.
In the equation for rotational kinetic energy the wheel radius cancels itself out when the mass is at the wheel rim and the rotational velocity then becomes equal to the road speed. This is why wheel rim mass has exactly twice the effect because velocity is the same in both the translational and rotational terms of the overall kinetic energy equation (the equation I posted earlier).

So the kinetic energy stored in a small wheel is identical to that stored in a larger wheel at the same road speed. The smaller wheel just rotates faster with its smaller radius.

Last edited by PeteHski; 06-10-22 at 03:07 AM.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-10-22, 07:38 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
No, bikes are not always in a state of acceleration/deceleration. Regardless of our lumpy power output, a bike can and does travel at a steady speed (there is too much inertia to slow down in-between pedal stroke dead-spots). So you really want to drop that "micro-acceleration" assumption as it is a fallacy that has no meaningful effect on calculations related to how fast the bike accelerates.

When you are actually accelerating the bike during a sprint or out of a corner, then an extra pound on the wheels will be equivalent to 2 extra pounds on the frame in terms of calculating the time it would take to accelerate from v1 to v2.

Extra weight on a steady climb has the same effect regardless of where you save it. So a pound saved on the wheels is the same as a pound saved on the frame. Lighter is just faster when climbing against gravity, but wheel mass is not to be treated as a special case because you are not adding in any rotational acceleration in this scenario.
You can't feel that constant change in speed on a climb?

I can.

This is an interesting study, more about loads and gross efficiency but they measured acceleration and deceleration (speed change). You can find it with google

"Crank inertial load affects freely chosen pedal rate during cycling" Ernst Albin Hansen

Note: I always chose reliability and then aerodynamics WAY over light weight in my decision matrix
Old 06-10-22, 09:16 AM
PeteHski

You can't feel that constant change in speed on a climb?

I can.

This is an interesting study, more about loads and gross efficiency but they measured acceleration and deceleration (speed change). You can find it with google

"Crank inertial load affects freely chosen pedal rate during cycling" Ernst Albin Hansen

Note: I always chose reliability and then aerodynamics WAY over light weight in my decision matrix
If climbing a steep hill very slowly at low cadence then sure I feel those constant surges. But they are inconsequential in terms of the energy calculation. It all just cancels out. All that matters in that situation is the total mass. It doesn’t make any difference if it’s rotating mass or static mass.
Old 06-10-22, 11:28 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The big thing to remember is that if you are the person that has to have your tires at the absolute max on the sidewall, temperature will change it a lot. Your say 120 pounds in your garage, will go a lot higher in the summer riding on black top roads. Black top roads can get burning hot, and then if hilly, add extra heat from riding your brakes down hills. On a 100 degree day, riding down a long hill riding the brakes can cause the tire to go bang. And that would happen probably at a good speed. You would actually be "bleeding" off speed with your hip and arm.
Old 06-10-22, 01:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Bro ride your own ride... I work with physicists all day (im at a national laboratory in group looking for dark matter), there are too many variables to math out the fastest tires. The only reliable test is one done in real world conditions. Some people enjoy thin hard tires.
Not necessarily true, but also moot because this has actually been experimentally tested. You know, the Scientific Method? Hypothesize, test, adjust hypothesis?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-10-22, 01:38 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Again, I'm not a racer. I'm a casual rider. I guess I just opt for a bike that "feels" faster instead of one that "feels" slower. My actual time means little to me. But, feel free to keep on trying to convince me.

Now if I could just find some 700 x 20C clinchers that went to 140.
I got some 22mm tubulars for my '82 Lotus Supreme, after getting a tubular wheelset for only $50. First ride, just for grins, I pumped them up to 140, close to the max. First mile, they felt really fast, because the first mile was really smooth tarmac. Then I got to the repaved bit, where I swear to got they used the same technique in paving that they used to use to make 'textured' plaster on drywall, back in the 80s. Not bumpy, mind you. But the road buzz through my hands and butt was horrific and I spent the whole time trying to find a path that was marginally smoother. Lesson learned. Now I run them at 100F/105R, and I'm faster because I can concentrate on RIDING.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.