Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

SunTour Power Shifter question

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-15-22, 08:06 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 755 Posts

Will these SunTour Power shifters work with braze-on shifter bosses?
Old 06-15-22, 09:26 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 3,084 Times in 1,944 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Will these SunTour Power shifters work with braze-on shifter bosses?
The choice of clunkers everywhere!

i’ll try to remember to check tomorrow if I have a chance.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 06-15-22, 09:53 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Unless I left out something obvious when I tried a few years ago (which is entirely possible, given how much I’ve learned since then), they don’t. The stop is shaped differently than what it would need to be for a standard boss.
Old 06-16-22, 01:46 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
Crowd sourced answer says no: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/...aze-on.378409/
Old 06-16-22, 07:15 AM
smontanaro 

Dang, thanks. I was hoping they would. I would then reshape the very clunky levers to work on my Griffon (almost all SunTour Superbe). That way I could get closer to "full Superbe" and repurpose the existing shifters (Campy Doppler) on some other project. As far as I know, SunTour never created a Superbe power shifter, right?
Old 06-16-22, 08:13 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,393 Times in 1,927 Posts
Dang, thanks. I was hoping they would. I would then reshape the very clunky levers to work on my Griffon (almost all SunTour Superbe). That way I could get closer to "full Superbe" and repurpose the existing shifters (Campy Doppler) on some other project. As far as I know, SunTour never created a Superbe power shifter, right?
As others have noted, they won't fit onto braze-on bosses. Superbe levers did not ratchet. But modern production Dia-Compe "Silver" shifters ratchet and fit onto braze-on bosses:

Old 06-16-22, 09:04 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,041 Times in 1,250 Posts
Well, the SL-IP00 shifters were designed for Superbe Pro/Sprint/Cyclone groups and they actually do have a very fine ratcheting setting. They had 3 settings, one for standard freewheels, one for Ultra shifting and the last for friction Power shifting, with ratcheting.
It's explained in the Suntour Accushift Bulletin #21 on page 10. I have a set and they work fine.

Likes For clubman:
Old 06-16-22, 09:12 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,738 Times in 629 Posts
Depending on the year Superbe levers were either light friction early version or 7 speed accushift indexed later version..
Old 06-16-22, 09:32 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
There were these, which had a ratchet mechanism. I have a similar set that were for the Sprint group and are only branded as “Suntour.” The Rivendell Silver shifters are supposed to be based on one of these models.

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...6dae1&Enum=104

Here are the Sprint shifters I have:

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...d0b2a&Enum=104
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 06-16-22, 10:20 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 779 Posts
Yep those SL-SB00-B levers are very simlar to the Rivendells. look like they made their tooling directly off some old samples but could be based on Cyclone 3700 as well, the only diffs I see are the amount of "friction grooves" on the underside of the levers.

I know they aren't indexing so "friction" is correct but I think those that have micro-ratcheting mechanisms should be in a sub-category of their own.

AFAIK SunTour used the same (not user serviceable!) mech for at least 3 models of ractheting lever: these Superbe Pros, the next level down Sprint LD-4850, and the Cyclone 3700 (LD-3700) which could be had in TRUE friction-only w/o the micro ratcheting mech as well as with it. Sprint levers have a rounded tip with less pronounced "kick-tail".
all pix courtesy of Velobase.

Superbe Pro

Superbe Pro showing ratchet mech

Sprint LD-4850

Cyclone LD3700 underside

Sprint LD-4850 showing ratchet mech
Old 07-06-22, 04:14 PM
smontanaro 

Reviving a dormant thread (which I started, so it's not really a hijack ) to ask a separate Power Shifter question. I'm working on my son's bike which has these shifters. The right lever won't hold the selected position (hmmm... that sounds familiar). I opened it up and discovered that the little ratchet pawl is busted. Is that little ratchety bit made of unobtanium? ISTR they are a common failure point. If so, I'll just swap them out for some other friction shifters. Thx...
Old 07-06-22, 11:46 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Suntour Power Shifter Failure

Reviving a dormant thread (which I started, so it's not really a hijack ) to ask a separate Power Shifter question. I'm working on my son's bike which has these shifters. The right lever won't hold the selected position (hmmm... that sounds familiar). I opened it up and discovered that the little ratchet pawl is busted. Is that little ratchety bit made of unobtanium? ISTR they are a common failure point. If so, I'll just swap them out for some other friction shifters. Thx...
BITD that ratchet spring was probably the only failure point in Suntour Power Shifters. They warned that those levers were not "user serviceable". I tore a few apart that had the same broken springs.... but the levers were so cheap, you just replaced them!

Parts breakdown. I've never seen Suntour Braze-on bosses or direct mount Power Shifters.

I'd heard mentioned several times that there were 2 versions of the original style Power levers. The later ones had finer teeth on the ratchet wheel and were smoother????

I never cared for them back then because they didn't feel smooth. I have later (or worn in) Power Levers on several bikes and they have a more positive feel than the Simplex Retrofriction and Campy Doppler levers that I have on a lot of bikes.

The "new" Dia-Compe makes at least 3 types of down tube levers with ratchet mechanisms. They're smoother than the old Power Shifters.

The ENE brand have 8-9-10 speed cable wrap capacity:

Dia-Compe ENE Brand Silver-W-Shift Levers.

Dia-Compe ENE Brand W-Shift Gran Compe Levers have an old Campy NR look.

Both oft these style levers have the same ratcheting mechanism. They work well but are not real robust. The plastic washer under the mounting screw is rather flimsy.

I have a set of the Sliver-W levers on one of my bikes shifting a Campy Veloce 10 speed RD. They shift smoothly but I don't expect a long service life out of them.

Dia-Compe also makes the ENE Cyclo 11 Speed levers. They can handle 10 & 11 speed setups. They're more expensive and look a lot more robust.

HTHs

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 07-07-22 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-07-22, 03:22 PM
smontanaro 

Thanks all. Nobody indicated the little ratchety things are available, so I just replaced the entire shifter with a SunTour symmetric shifter I had in the shifter drawer.