Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

School me on Shimano hardware

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-22-22, 07:46 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts

[EDIT] For clarification, I'm referring both to NEW and OLDER generation components.

I have a small collection of road bikes with a variety of Shimano parts including Integra, Claris and Sora. But the problem is, I really don't know what that means. I went on Shimano's website and they don't really break it down particularly well, plus what they list is geared towards generating sales. I get that, but I want real world knowledge and experience. From what I've gleaned so far, Dura-Ace is top shelf. I get that Integra is somewhere in between and Sora and Tiagra are kind of entry level stuff. Beyond that, I really don't know what advantages/disadvantages there are to any particular components.

The only thing I have determined is that I definitely like the shifter that has the two levers "nested" (I don't know if that's the right term or not) like 105/Integra stuff. I have a couple of bikes with Claris (IIRC) and there's the one lever that's part of the brake lever, and then the other lever is really more like a knob that comes off the inside bracket by where the brake cable comes out. Not really a fan of that set up. I don't know. Maybe that's more of an age issue rather than model. But that's why I'm here asking the questions.

Take me to school.

Last edited by VegasJen; 06-23-22 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-22-22, 08:00 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
It's Ultegra, not Integra.

Beyond that, you can find all of the requested info here. Most manufacturers have these website thingies nowadays.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-22-22, 08:10 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Koyote
It's Ultegra, not Integra.

Beyond that, you can find all of the requested info here. Most manufacturers have these website thingies nowadays.
Fair enough, but reading is not your forte. Try the third sentence, first paragraph.
Old 06-22-22, 08:17 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-22-22, 08:19 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by VegasJen
Fair enough, but reading is not your forte. Try the third sentence, first paragraph.
If you find that website confusing, you probably shouldn't accuse anyone else of a reading comprehension problem.

You're essentially asking others to explain things that are all over the internet. There's a word for that. Starts with L, ends with Y.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-22-22, 08:20 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Generally speaking, as you look at the various groupsets they become lighter and shift better as they become more expensive. Whether the additional costs say between 105 and DuraAce are worth it (or even noticeable) to you is something you have to find out for yourself.
Ive met many good riders who are more than happy with “one-step-down” groupsets for the riding they do.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 06-22-22, 08:22 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
This isn't hard..try google.
Old 06-22-22, 08:28 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Your question is big with info.
Your question also depends what year your current components were manufactured.

"Entry Level" is also ambiguous. Entry level for racing? For recreation only?
For road cycling, the hierarchy from most expensive to least expensive and from racing to recreation continuums, would be:

Dura Ace
Ultegra
Tiagra
Sora
Claris
Tourney

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buy...-need-to-know/
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-22-22, 08:41 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Koyote
If you find that website confusing, you probably shouldn't accuse anyone else of a reading comprehension problem.

You're essentially asking others to explain things that are all over the internet. There's a word for that. Starts with L, ends with Y.
Do you just come in to threads and post in an attempt to make yourself feel better by trying to run others down? I've run into people like you before. You're what is often referred to as "toxic". Please feel free to not contribute in my threads. Believe it or not, you're already there.

For reference, you might want to check out the post below if you would like an example of someone actually providing helpful information.
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Generally speaking, as you look at the various groupsets they become lighter and shift better as they become more expensive. Whether the additional costs say between 105 and DuraAce are worth it (or even noticeable) to you is something you have to find out for yourself.
Ive met many good riders who are more than happy with “one-step-down” groupsets for the riding they do.
Ya, I'm no where near a competitive rider, so top shelf is wasted on me. However, I do want the best quality for what I'm doing. I prefer to only buy something one time, when the budget allows. And along that vein, I'd rather buy something that's a little more robust with the belief that it is going to last beyond my riding days, than to save a few extra grams of weight.
I still really don't know the difference between Sora and Claris though. On the Shimano site, they kind of have very similar descriptions. They seem to be advertised as more "entry level". So why the difference? Is one more "entry level" than the other?
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR

For road cycling, the hierarchy from most expensive to least expensive and from racing to recreation continuums, would be:

Dura Ace
Ultegra
Tiagra
Sora
Claris
Tourney

Ya, see. That's what I'm talking about. Shimano is in the business of selling their product. Nothing wrong with that. But I can't expect Shimano to tell me, "this product sucks, buy that one." Unless, of course, it's the more expensive one. Once again, not bagging on them for it, that's business. Just looking for someone with real world experience and knowledge to break it down.

From what I gather, Tourney seems to be more MTN bike equpment, whereas Tiagra, Sora and Claris look to be road bike stuff. But from the descriptions I've read there's very little difference in the three.
Old 06-22-22, 08:58 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...ets-explained/

This offers a pretty detailed description that might answer your question
Old 06-22-22, 09:02 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
He is one of the most helpful, generous and well-informed among many in this community. Maybe take a second look at your approach.
Old 06-22-22, 09:08 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Bikes: IF Crown Jewel, Lugged Columbus SLX Serotta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
That's it. Simple as that!

I'd use DA Ultegra or 105 on any bike and be happy. Below that not so much. A new bike equipped with something like Sora is going to be a very very entry-level bike. I'd never buy a bike with anything less than 105.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR

Dura Ace
Ultegra
Tiagra
Sora
Claris
Tourney

Old 06-22-22, 09:30 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Do you just come in to threads and post in an attempt to make yourself feel better by trying to run others down? I've run into people like you before. You're what is often referred to as "toxic". Please feel free to not contribute in my threads. Believe it or not, you're already there.

For reference, you might want to check out the post below if you would like an example of someone actually providing helpful information.

Ya, I'm no where near a competitive rider, so top shelf is wasted on me. However, I do want the best quality for what I'm doing. I prefer to only buy something one time, when the budget allows. And along that vein, I'd rather buy something that's a little more robust with the belief that it is going to last beyond my riding days, than to save a few extra grams of weight.
I still really don't know the difference between Sora and Claris though. On the Shimano site, they kind of have very similar descriptions. They seem to be advertised as more "entry level". So why the difference? Is one more "entry level" than the other?

Ya, see. That's what I'm talking about. Shimano is in the business of selling their product. Nothing wrong with that. But I can't expect Shimano to tell me, "this product sucks, buy that one." Unless, of course, it's the more expensive one. Once again, not bagging on them for it, that's business. Just looking for someone with real world experience and knowledge to break it down.

From what I gather, Tourney seems to be more MTN bike equpment, whereas Tiagra, Sora and Claris look to be road bike stuff. But from the descriptions I've read there's very little difference in the three.
Toxic...please. The info you were looking for is all over the Shimano site. The whole site is set up in order of quality/performance/price. All of it. If you can't manage to tell the difference between products described as 'entry level' and those described as 'race' I don't know what to say. ALL Shimano products work well. The entry level ones are heavier, not finished as nicely and cost less. The high end are lighter, shinier, work somewhat better and cost more. Just like everything else in this world.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-22-22, 09:36 PM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Here you go - everything you could possibly want to know:

Shimano component heirarchy - road bikes
Old 06-22-22, 10:33 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...ets-explained/

This offers a pretty detailed description that might answer your question
Excellent link! Thank you very much. This is pretty much what I was asking.
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
He is one of the most helpful, generous and well-informed among many in this community. Maybe take a second look at your approach.
Not my experience.
Originally Posted by Recycled Cycler
That's it. Simple as that!

I'd use DA Ultegra or 105 on any bike and be happy. Below that not so much. A new bike equipped with something like Sora is going to be a very very entry-level bike. I'd never buy a bike with anything less than 105.

​​​​​​​
I don't know. I haven't noticed a functional difference between the bikes I have that have Sora versus the ones that have 105, so I assume the difference is either weight or number of gears. Is that about right? As said above, I like the kind that has both up and down levers together, but I don't know if that's a specific model or maybe a generation of components.
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Toxic...please. The info you were looking for is all over the Shimano site. The whole site is set up in order of quality/performance/price. All of it. If you can't manage to tell the difference between products described as 'entry level' and those described as 'race' I don't know what to say. ALL Shimano products work well. The entry level ones are heavier, not finished as nicely and cost less. The high end are lighter, shinier, work somewhat better and cost more. Just like everything else in this world.
Ya. Thanks.
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Here you go - everything you could possibly want to know:

Shimano component heirarchy - road bikes
So based on just a cursory review of this link, the difference between Sora, Tiagra and Claris is the number of speeds? Is that correct?
Old 06-22-22, 11:11 PM
Tomm Willians

Well unfortunately this is sort of where you go down the rabbit hole…… yes on first glance it indeed shows that the three groups offer different speeds but it’s highly unlikely the difference ends there.

Weight
Compatibility with other groupsets or manufacturers Shimano/SRAM
Finish
Brake design
Brifter material
Crank Arm options
Chainring options
etc……

and then to further confuse things there could be differences from one generation to the next so it can become rather involved. I can only claim to have a very loose grasp of the topic so rely heavily on my LBS which employs three incredible mechanics that seem to know EVERYTHING.

However if I would offer one bit of advice/experience with Shimano is that nothing below 105 will work well for long if you really start putting in some miles and don’t overlook used groupsets as many riders will upgrade lightly used mechanical DuraAce for Electronic shifting so deals can be found.

I’ve ridden a number of bikes with Shimano, SRAM and Campy (my favorite) and at least to me, their best groups feel and operate much better than the bargain units.
Old 06-23-22, 12:28 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Lots of good explanations and links. Someone mentioned he'd not use anything less than 105. No problem with that threshold. But - I believe that Sora and Tiagra, especially Tiagra, are fine, well functioning groups. Myself, I'm sort of an "Ultegra", upper but not top of the line, kind of guy (actually in the Sram hierarchy - Force - which is my preferred brand). HOWEVER, Tiagra is without question fine, very close to current technology, form and function to 105. Just heavier and cheaper. A person would not be limited at all recreationally or beginning racing with that group. I would say the same thing about Sram groups: the two lower end groups, Apex and Rival, are excellent.
Old 06-23-22, 03:03 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Dura ace is the entry level point. Those noobies need all the help they can get. Most of us here actually use claris because it's all we can afford after buying the latest months Rapha kit. Nothing worse than showing up at the coffee shop in May colours when it's June already.
Likes For znomit:
Old 06-23-22, 03:26 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Op, just throw all that crap out and get Dura Ace for all bikes. Problem solved.
Likes For Greatestalltime:
Old 06-23-22, 03:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,491 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Dura ace is the entry level point. Those noobies need all the help they can get. Most of us here actually use claris because it's all we can afford after buying the latest months Rapha kit. Nothing worse than showing up at the coffee shop in May colours when it's June already.
I got both my Rapha Core jerseys for $55 each.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-23-22, 03:46 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I got both my Rapha Core jerseys for $55 each.
12 months in a year buddy.
Old 06-23-22, 04:22 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
I'll remember this thread the next time I see one with posts from regulars congratulating each other on how endlessly warm, welcoming, and helpful they are to newcomers. I've been on this forum for quite a while, but I still haven't figured out which innocent questions will get the snarling responses from the gatekeepers, or why.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-23-22, 05:10 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Originally Posted by Trakhak
I'll remember this thread the next time I see one with posts from regulars congratulating each other on how endlessly warm, welcoming, and helpful they are to newcomers. I've been on this forum for quite a while, but I still haven't figured out which innocent questions will get the snarling responses from the gatekeepers, or why.
Fair enough, but reading is not your forte. Try the third post, first paragraph.
Old 06-23-22, 05:34 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Fair enough, but reading is not your forte. Try the third post, first paragraph.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-23-22, 05:39 AM
Koyote

Third post has only one paragraph. I presume you meant the first post, third paragraph — where the OP asks to be schooled.

The number of posted links to articles explaining the groupset hierarchy proves an interesting point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.