Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Miyata Team - Needs work, advise welcome.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-25-22, 06:49 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts

Hello BF CV guys and gals,

I just picked up this 1981 Miyata Team in my size (51cm) The frame is decent with scratches but no rust. It is fairly complete. Please see photos. 3 things are are missing that i need advise on:

Seat post - Should look for a Dura ACE AX or go with Sugino fluted post
Wheel set - Clincher or tububar - Should i spring for AX hubs?
Stem Cap. - plastic or metal - either one is expensive

Been looking on ebay, parts are available mostly from Poland and quite expensive. Any body has period period correct parts that want to part with pleas drop me a PM.
The cranks are interesting but i think i may need to replace them so that i can install my SPD to ride it.

Thanks

Likes For tmnguuyen:
Old 06-25-22, 07:21 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,748 Times in 1,502 Posts
welcome to the team miyata world. I have an 84 and and 85

this link may be helpful https://www.ragandbone.ca/PDFs/Miyat...%20Catalog.pdf

I think you need to decide what you want to do, restore it to as new spec or ride

restoring to as new is likely to be a quest as AX is not easy to find.

the handle bars are not original as an example

I personally would not worry about AX, get some dura ace hubs, etc from close to that period. edit original hubs were dura ace EX with early freehub and cassette

As orginally speced it came with tubular tires....I like tubies to that is how I would go really your choice

Last edited by squirtdad; 06-25-22 at 07:24 PM.
Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-25-22, 09:15 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 214 Posts
Beautiful bike. I like to just trim a wine cork for missing stem caps

Likes For Soody:
Old 06-25-22, 09:16 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,302 Times in 3,634 Posts
tmnguuyen

So cool, not my jam but we all know Miyata is one of the best, you are racking up some great bikes, great work!

squirtdad Is very wise here with his counsel, get it sorted for the meantime, ride it and figure out exactly what you can live with and then be on the lookout for the fussy parts.
Old 06-25-22, 09:42 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,635 Times in 1,671 Posts
There was an ebay guy who sold adapters to normal pedal threads for those cranks. I bought a set.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 06-25-22, 10:07 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

I have a couple of cranks that Jim made triples out of with them, one of the sets he made from scratch, I don't think they will ever be removed.

Likes For merziac:
Old 06-25-22, 10:28 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
I have a couple of cranks that Jim made triples out of with them, one of the sets he made from scratch, I don't think they will ever be removed.

That's what i call passion.....
Likes For tmnguuyen:
Old 06-25-22, 11:23 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Congrats on the Miyata. 👍

Believe it or not, I passed on an older Bianchi that had those AX cranks, but no pedals to go with. I honestly don't recall what other parts were on it. 🤔 This was back in the early '90s, in Seattle, when I just quit drinking alcohol, and didn't know much of anything about bicycles. But the frame was badly repainted, and with no pedals, those cranks looked like a pretty iffy thing. 🤔🙄😉
Old 06-25-22, 11:35 PM
merziac

Jim was/is passionate about much of this, he is recently ramping up his program, got a new CNC lathe I believe and is taking special orders for titanium parts. He's doing some parts nobody has ever done.

Those adapters were available for quite awhile, not anymore that I can find.

You may have to get some other cranks and we can check with Jim about making some if you want.
Old 06-25-22, 11:38 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
There was an ebay guy who sold adapters to normal pedal threads for those cranks. I bought a set.
Can you try and track the info down and maybe reach out, there are none to be found now.

Wish I had bought a spare set when i had the chance.
Old 06-26-22, 03:06 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 147 Posts
Big Miyata fan here. The first bike I purchased with my own, hard-earned summer money was a 1983 Miyata Pro. I purchased it as a frameset from my local shop which was a Miyata dealer. In fact, I still have the lighted Miyata sign from this shop hanging in my Garage.

Originally, I had the frame built up with a full Dura-Ace EX group including headset, stem, pedals, and seat post with San Marco Superleggra Concor saddle. Also, it had the rare Dura-Ace handlebars as well. The next year I purchased a leftover 1983 Miyata Team frameset and transferred the parts from the Pro over to it and installed a 600 EX group on the Pro. Eventually, I moved on to other bikes. Around 2010, I freshened up the Team and rebuilt the wheelset with Mavic CXP33s, removing the tubular rims and added some modern (at the time) DA brake levers to replace the AX/EX aero levers which I never really liked.

At the same time, I removed the 600EX components from the Pro and then re-built it with a NOS AX group, except for the brake levers which I used a set of AGC from the late 80s. Rebuilt the wheels with Mavic CXP33s as well.

I still have two sets of Dura-Ace AX handlebars and AX lever that I am thinking about reinstalling just so everything is back to originally built up. I decided to put the AX group on the Pro instead of reinstalling the original EX components mainly for esthetics. The Pro frame, unlike the Team, was made with some aero tubing so I felt the aero AX components would be a better fit.

1983 Pro Miayata , 1983 Team Miayata , and 1984 Univega Competizione (esesstially a 1986 Pro Miyata)

1990 Miyata Team with 7700 Dura-Ace 9 speed.

Both bikes get taken out on rides at least twice a year when I come home from working overseas. Compared to my modern Ritchey Carbon Breakaway or recently rebuilt Tesch S-22 that are my daily/weekly bikes, both with Campy SR/R 11 speed, they are nowhere near as agile or stable but they are both fun to ride none-the-less. And everytime, I get back on them, I can relive the days of my youth and reflect back onto simpler times both in life and bike design and mechanics.

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 06-26-22 at 03:13 AM.
Likes For BMC_Kid: