Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie here. Is $315 for 2011 Trek Lexa a good deal?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-21, 08:55 PM
Hopex12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all I never could afford a bike growing up. Having recently graduated and found a job, I wanted to save up for one. I found one on Facebook marketplace - it’s the 2011 Trek Lexa. The guy said his girlfriend only rode it 3 times! I can’t show pictures as I just opened my account.. but from what I can tell it looks decently new. He’s selling for $315. Is this a good deal? Really appreciate it as this is a big purchase for me..
Old 04-25-21, 09:18 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
There are three versions of this bike at the Trek website with this one being the most basic. It's entry level with entry level components - 16 speed. Bicycle bluebook list the MSRP as $730 in 2011 and a current used price of $194-$200 in excellent shape https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/valu...product/22601/. There is a lot of discussion here about how good their estimates are. One more consideration is the fact that four different frame sizes are available so you might ask the current owner how the owner compares to your height. Buying the wrong frame size is no bargain, no matter how good the price may be. In this hot market it can be hard to get one at a decent price. The fact that the current owner may only have ridden it three times says a lot. It's a road bike so it may have a pretty aggressive stance with you riding more bent over than you would be on a bike like a mountain bike. The trade off is being a little faster but maybe not as comfortable. Trek shows what components and frame sizes are available here https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/...k/lexa/details.
Old 04-25-21, 09:31 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If the bike is the right size and has only been ridden a few times, it seems like a good price, especially for pandemic prices.

It should look new and show no chain wear on the chainrings. Easy to check if they are black. Everything should work. I would ask where it was stored. Under a pile of stuff in a garage is not a good answer.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 04-26-21, 10:47 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
There are different ways to look at this. Bluebook might or might not be accurate as right now, clean used bikes are getting snapped up pretty quickly. But it should look like a bike that is almost new.
As far as the bike itself, from the links others have posted, it was entry level 10 years ago. But that isn't necessarily bad. The only caveat is, the 8 speed is Shimano 2300, which has the thumb shifters, which Shimano phased out in 2013 with the next generation of 8 speed called 2400, better known as Claris. No biggie. My wife has that style shifter, and she likes them, though we did switch out her 2300 derailleurs to Claris so she could get a wider gearing on her road bike for climbing hills.

Anyway, if it seems like I am throwing shade at this bike, I am not. If you want a new Trek road bike today, as far as I can tell, the closest Trek makes is the Domane AL2, which has Claris 8 speed, and carbon fork instead of the aluminum fork on the Lexa, which might save a couple of hundred grams of weight. But, that bike will cost you $950 plus tax. So for less than 1/3 the price, the Lexa isn't a bad deal if it fits you.
Old 04-26-21, 11:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
If the bike is the right size for you and you are going to ride it far and often, then it might be a good first road bike. Once you get several thousand miles on it, you'll know better whether it's adequate and will serve you well for three or four years. If instead you find something isn't right for you with it, then get another.

At that price, I'd make certain that everything works and isn't worn and ready to replace. Even a chain can set you back 20 to 30 dollars if you buy a good name brand chain. Especially if you have to have others install it. Cassettes will add more, and replacing a shifter will really put you into the, "I could'a bought a newer bike" category.

Don't be afraid to offer less and walk away. Especially if things on it need adjusting or don't work. There'll be others.
Old 04-26-21, 11:14 AM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
One thing to check for usage is the tires. If this bike has truly only been ridden 3 times, then the tires should show hardly any sign of wear. Depending on the tires, they may even still have the little rubber "whiskers" on them. This isn't a perfect litmus test as there are some tires that don't have those little rubber whiskers on them but many of them do. Either way, there shouldn't be hardly any wear on the tire tread. I would also expect that the brake pads would show very little wear as well.
Likes For fettsvenska:
Old 04-26-21, 11:16 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by Iride01
If the bike is the right size for you and you are going to ride it far and often, then it might be a good first road bike. Once you get several thousand miles on it, you'll know better whether it's adequate and will serve you well for three or four years. If instead you find something isn't right for you with it, then get another.

At that price, I'd make certain that everything works and isn't worn and ready to replace. Even a chain can set you back 20 to 30 dollars if you buy a good name brand chain. Especially if you have to have others install it. Cassettes will add more, and replacing a shifter will really put you into the, "I could'a bought a newer bike" category.

Don't be afraid to offer less and walk away. Especially if things on it need adjusting or don't work. There'll be others.
If indeed it was only ridden 3 times, it should be ready to ride and not need anything new for at least the first season. There is absolutely nothing wrong with entry level road components from 10 years ago. , OP could even upgrade that bike a little before needing to replace it. (wheels, and tires, for example).
Likes For MRT2:
Old 04-26-21, 11:32 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I personally would not just ride a bike that has been sitting for 10 years, especially if not stored in well controlled conditions. Grease dries up, chains get rusty, etc. Assuming it has cup and cone bearings, it would not take much time to take those apart, clean, and re-grease them to prevent possible damage. Inspect / lube cables, and anything else that needs lubrication.

Rubber goes bad with time so I'd expect that the tires may need to be replaced as well as brake pads. They could be OK but I'd be prepared for that in any case.
Old 04-26-21, 11:52 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I personally would not just ride a bike that has been sitting for 10 years, especially if not stored in well controlled conditions. Grease dries up, chains get rusty, etc. Assuming it has cup and cone bearings, it would not take much time to take those apart, clean, and re-grease them to prevent possible damage. Inspect / lube cables, and anything else that needs lubrication.

Rubber goes bad with time so I'd expect that the tires may need to be replaced as well as brake pads. They could be OK but I'd be prepared for that in any case.
True but it all depends on how the bike was stored. I wouldn't overthink it. A quick cleaning and lube of the chain and pivot points, check the brakes and wheels, see if the tires hold air. If it was just sitting in an otherwise clean not too humid, place for 10 years, I would just ride it.
Old 04-26-21, 04:05 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
My first road bike was a new (well, previous model year, so it was on sale, but new at the store) 2013 Lexa S. That's a model higher than what you're looking at so it had Sora components (a step up) and a carbon fork. It was a nice bike and got me through my first century ride.
I bought a nicer bike three years later, but only got rid of the Lexa S earlier this year when I bought yet another even nicer bike (you'll find this to be a common story if you hang out on BF).
I would say that if the bike fits you and it passes the tests MRT2 suggested, you should buy it and ride the heck out of it! At the very least, it will get you on the road and having fun during this time of bike shortages.

Best of luck!
Likes For mcmoose:
Old 04-27-21, 03:55 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I paid a lot more for a 2013 entry level Specialized Tarmac last summer and have been riding it since with no problems. It was also "almost unused," still had the protective film on the components. Sounds like a decent deal to me. Don't overthink it.
Old 04-27-21, 07:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I probably wouldn't spend that much for that old of a bike with near bottom end components but bikes are tough to get so if the bike is in good condition and has been tuned up recently and it fits you well, it might be more worth it to you.