Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Drafting Ebikes

Old 05-07-21, 09:41 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Drafting Ebikes

Sup yall. Anyone else love trying to draft ebikes? Some of them are legit super fast. I find ebike riders vary between super stoked at carrying a cyclist along to not even knowing wtf I am talking about when I tell them I am on their wheel. I especially find myself holding back when drafting women on ebikes because I don't want to be scary/aggressive (I lowkey look homeless) but I think this is just me getting in my head. Anyways, do any of you have cool stories about drafting ebikes? Last week this super fast ebiker blew past me, I commented on how fast he was, and he told me to get on his wheel. Unfortunately I was too slow to ride with him but if I was slightly stronger we would have been cruising at 22 MPH just crushing everyone else on the road. Ebikes get a bunch of hatred for no reason IMO, I love ebikes
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 05-07-21, 10:31 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
I had two sets of tandem friends and it was a blast drafting behind them. One set was smoother and other a bit more erratic but strong. But there was the time during the last ten miles of a century that one of our group actually came back on the course looking for some of us. He was incredible strong and consistent. I drafted that last ten miles and it was dream come true for a wasted rider - me!

So, if you can be trusted and you trust them - have at it with permission.
Old 05-07-21, 10:57 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by kahn
I had two sets of tandem friends and it was a blast drafting behind them. One set was smoother and other a bit more erratic but strong. But there was the time during the last ten miles of a century that one of our group actually came back on the course looking for some of us. He was incredible strong and consistent. I drafted that last ten miles and it was dream come true for a wasted rider - me!

So, if you can be trusted and you trust them - have at it with permission.
Tandems are so sick. I always give them a shout out when I see them, jealous as **** wish I had some cool biker girl on a tandem with me
Old 05-07-21, 11:05 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I was actually cruising solo at 22 when some dude came up behind me on an ebike. Stayed at my side for a bit then took off at 30 mph. Then dropped back to tell me that he was doing 30 but that just about most of it was under his power. Big fat bike about 50 pounds, yeah right! Then he took off again. Not sure why he felt he needed to ride along my side for a bit and tell me about it. I am not a fan of ebikes. Seems most I encounter are lacking riding skills and cause more of a hazard than anything. Don't even ask about the lady I passed last week. What a nuisance!
Brother just draft the ebikes and learn their ways, you never know when you might need an ebike! More peeps on 2 wheels the merrier. He was probably excited about his ride and could tell that you were experienced and fast so he thought you might relate. If you were actually cruising at 22 MPH you are a real mother****er and he sees that and respects that
Old 05-07-21, 11:55 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Same. I have yet to come across an e bike rider I’d feel confident drafting.
Old 05-08-21, 12:48 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
Drafting should only be done with experienced riders who know you are there and accept what you are doing. I used to live within a dozen miles of a VA hospital. I was riding home from an appointment on my tandem one day a few years ago and some roadie ended up separated from his ride up my right side and slid part way into a busy intersection when I stopped at a light. I have always had permission before I drafted other riders but they don' always let me know they are there. I don't see many ebikes in the high dessert but when I am in the downtown area in palm springs were it is flatter I see quite a few of them.
Old 05-08-21, 06:09 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
I haven't drafted any e-bikes, but back in the mid-late 80s, when I was still road racing, I used to draft semi-trailers, ala "Breaking Away." Used to be able to get up to 50+ mph on flat straightaways with a 52-53 big chainring. Good times.

https://vimeo.com/50872582
Old 05-08-21, 07:00 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I have had biker want to draft off of me at 18-20 mph. No problem, I have a huge frontal area and form a good pocket behind me. If I know they are there, because I look in my mirror, I won't do sudden moves or stops.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 05-08-21, 07:06 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
I have an ebike. I ride it exactly the same as I ride my road bicycle, except about 4-5 MPH faster with same effort. I have not seen any of these problematic ebike riders I commonly hear discussed. I do see MUP warriors on road bikes from time to time and have seen them cause problems. Interestingly I never see the MUP warriors tearing it up on the road.

I see lots of ebikes here but they seem to all behave pretty well. And most seem to stay on the MUPs. I’m guessing it’s different everywhere.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 05-08-21, 07:15 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by johnnyace
I haven't drafted any e-bikes, but back in the mid-late 80s, when I was still road racing, I used to draft semi-trailers, ala "Breaking Away." Used to be able to get up to 50+ mph on flat straightaways with a 52-53 big chainring. Good times.

https://vimeo.com/50872582

im SO excited about getting fast enough to draft the cars on my commute to work. I think I’m getting close!!! That’s ******g sick that you drafted semis, super legit brother
Old 05-08-21, 07:29 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by caloso
Same. I have yet to come across an e bike rider I’d feel confident drafting.

ebikers tend to be erratic and do whatever they want, but they are powerful enough that it’s too hard to resist drafting, at least for me.
Old 05-08-21, 07:55 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
ebikers tend to be erratic and do whatever they want, but they are powerful enough that it’s too hard to resist drafting, at least for me.
Well if you are drafting a Gerry, make sure they know you want to draft. They will be far less erratic or tell you they are uncomfortable with. They may know they are erratic because of the very nature of where they are in the life cycle.
Old 05-08-21, 08:06 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Has anyone heard of gas powered bikes? I hear they’re super fast, totally legit. They can roll for hundreds of miles at insane speeds, disc brakes (sometimes dual on the front wheel!) and some even have hard panniers for commuting! Totally legit. All under their own power, though. The engine and throttle is just for that legit killer sound, brother. (Some of these types of bikes have room for two and can be seen with cool biker chicks on the back. Legit.)
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 05-08-21, 08:26 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
... but if I was slightly stronger we would have been cruising at 22 MPH just crushing everyone else on the road. Ebikes get a bunch of hatred for no reason IMO, I love ebikes
In my view, as soon as you bring a motor into the equation, there's no longer a competition, so "crushing everyone else on the road" doesn't apply. They're different classes of vehicles. You can still ride together because e-bikes have roughly similar capabilities; but motors don't get tired nearly as fast, and whoever buys the biggest motor always wins.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 05-08-21, 08:27 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Drafting off e-bikes? What's next? Attaching a bungee cord for a tow?
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-08-21, 08:44 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Drafting off e-bikes? What's next? Attaching a bungee cord for a tow?
"It would be nice if you could pull me into town."

Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 05-08-21, 09:19 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
In my view, as soon as you bring a motor into the equation, there's no longer a competition, so "crushing everyone else on the road" doesn't apply. They're different classes of vehicles. You can still ride together because e-bikes have roughly similar capabilities; but motors don't get tired nearly as fast, and whoever buys the biggest motor always wins.
im talking about crushing all the other cyclists, with the Chad ebiker pulling you along. Unfortunately most ebikers aren’t as fast as the fast roadies, but when you find a fast one drafting is amazing
Old 05-08-21, 09:42 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
The ebikers around here don't seem to know the difference between the road and the sidewalk or even which direction they should be going. They're worse than juvies on 20" BMX bikes that flit around like flies with no sense of course or direction. I had one coming head on the other morning with a dog on a 20' leash and they acted like I was the one in the wrong.
Old 05-08-21, 09:49 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I was actually cruising solo at 22 when some dude came up behind me on an ebike. Stayed at my side for a bit then took off at 30 mph. Then dropped back to tell me that he was doing 30 but that just about most of it was under his power. Big fat bike about 50 pounds, yeah right! Then he took off again. Not sure why he felt he needed to ride along my side for a bit and tell me about it. I am not a fan of ebikes. Seems most I encounter are lacking riding skills and cause more of a hazard than anything. Don't even ask about the lady I passed last week. What a nuisance!
try at least 65 pounds.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 05-08-21, 09:58 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Has anyone heard of gas powered bikes? I hear they’re super fast, totally legit. They can roll for hundreds of miles at insane speeds, disc brakes (sometimes dual on the front wheel!) and some even have hard panniers for commuting! Totally legit. All under their own power, though. The engine and throttle is just for that legit killer sound, brother. (Some of these types of bikes have room for two and can be seen with cool biker chicks on the back. Legit.)
Born to be Wild, eh?
Vroom.........vroom
Old 05-08-21, 10:04 AM
fooferdoggie 

when I was sicker and used more assist I was going about 27 on a clear bike path when a roadie drafted me . got a kick out of it when then I turned he kept it up. but now I use my e bike like a regular bike but go faster I try to keep my heart rate in the 130s or higher. so Idont feel good passing others well unless its as a fat e bike with someone hardly or not peddling at all. nothing getting your heart racing and putting out 600 watts to pass them uphill.
Old 05-08-21, 10:10 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts
Quite a few generalizations about the capabilities of e-bikers. My wife has one and we rode singles and a tandem with me for 35 years. On her e-bike she uses the same skill set as on her single road bike. And I do draft her when there are ferocious head winds to make my life easier. So much for generalizations

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-08-21, 10:14 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
when I was sicker and used more assist I was going about 27 on a clear bike path when a roadie drafted me . got a kick out of it when then I turned he kept it up. but now I use my e bike like a regular bike but go faster I try to keep my heart rate in the 130s or higher. so Idont feel good passing others well unless its as a fat e bike with someone hardly or not peddling at all. nothing getting your heart racing and putting out 600 watts to pass them uphill.
meh pass those dudes, people who get pissy about getting passed by ebikers are literally insane. It’s like getting upset at a car passing you lol.

Edit: also there is generally way too much ebike hate. I don’t get it at all. How does someone else “cheating” effect you unless they crash into you

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 05-08-21 at 10:22 AM.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 05-08-21, 10:17 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by rsbob
Quite a few generalizations about the capabilities of e-bikers. My wife has one and we rode singles and a tandem with me for 35 years. On her e-bike she uses the same skill set as on her single road bike. And I do draft her when there are ferocious head winds to make my life easier. So much for generalizations
I don't see enough e bikers actually using the bike to enhance them more to to just make it real easy. well the hub drive bikes mid drives require more effort to work. I want to get stronger and get a workout I just want to go it at a faster speed. wet you commute 20 miles a day it saves time.
Old 05-08-21, 10:21 AM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Much of what is written about EBikes, is also written about road bike riders
Likes For gringomojado:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.