Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Neoprene socks? Mixed results…

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 11-30-21, 06:39 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts

I forgot that I had purchased some XL sized neoprene socks for winter riding. I brought them out and used them twice in the past week and wonder if I like them or not. One ride I put them over thick wool socks, the other ride I put them over thin cycling socks. My winter cycling shoes are Fizik Arctica SPD-R boots. I think the padding of the neoprene is nice & they retain some heat. Those are the positives.

The negatives are that my feet never got warm much. And with the thin cycling socks I arrived home from a 50 mile ride in 39F temps with feet that were cold. When removing the socks when back home they are damp on the inside and feel slightly warm, but when you feel the temperature of your feet - they’re cold!

Is there a trick to getting the most from neoprene socks?
Old 11-30-21, 08:35 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts
The trick to getting anything good out of neoprene is to use it in water. It’s not waterproof and doesn’t breathe well, but does retain some insulating properties when wet, so in a situation where you’re going to be wet no matter what, it’s a good choice. In a situation where you’re sweating against otherwise dry and freezing cold neoprene, it’s a poor insulator and will make you feel much colder much faster than pretty much anything other than a plastic bag.

Unless you’re shoes are getting soaking wet while you ride, you’ll do much better with, say, electric socks than neoprene.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 11-30-21, 02:10 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
I made a couple of pairs of Polar fleece socks with a pattern from Green Pepper. They seemed to work well for me. My wife didn't like them though. Fit and finish are important.

Green Pepper sock pattern

Now that I have a serger, I should make some more. Ah, I don't have time. Maybe I'll buy some Polar Feet

They are also not universally liked, otherwise we'd see more of them for sale. Perhaps I'm the only one that likes them.

If you try them and like them let us know. Or if you don't like them, let us know why. There may be some limitations of these socks that I haven't run into yet.
Old 11-30-21, 02:31 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
they don't work for me

only this does
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-02-21, 10:42 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
I have a pair that were used once or twice and have been in a drawer for years/decades since. I should just toss them but "I paid good money for them!"
Likes For MNBikeCommuter:
Old 12-04-21, 10:50 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
… It’s not waterproof…
Every pair of waders I’ve ever owned would disagree. The bad old days of full neoprene waders were waterproof from chest to toe. Even breathable waders have neoprene from toe to ankle and they are just as waterproof.

Originally Posted by masi61
I forgot that I had purchased some XL sized neoprene socks for winter riding. I brought them out and used them twice in the past week and wonder if I like them or not. One ride I put them over thick wool socks, the other ride I put them over thin cycling socks. My winter cycling shoes are Fizik Arctica SPD-R boots. I think the padding of the neoprene is nice & they retain some heat. Those are the positives.

The negatives are that my feet never got warm much. And with the thin cycling socks I arrived home from a 50 mile ride in 39F temps with feet that were cold. When removing the socks when back home they are damp on the inside and feel slightly warm, but when you feel the temperature of your feet - they’re cold!

I wonder if your problem is more due to sizing of your shoes than to the socks. Neoprene socks are usually 3mm thick which is thicker…and less compressible…than most fabric socks.

I have used neoprene socks in the past but only as a supplement to shoes that aren’t insulated nor waterproof. Personally, I wouldn’t use them with shoes that are already waterproof and insulted like yours. I’d use a thicker wool sock. At the temperatures you are talking about, I’d probably use over the knee socks like these. They used to be called “knicker socks” from the days of wearing knickers (US, not England).
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-20-21, 01:28 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
over the knee socks like these. They used to be called “knicker socks” from the days of wearing knickers (US, not England).
our Dad had us wear corduroy hiking knickers & knee socks. they actually worked quite nicely. me Pops & Sis on Mt. Katahdin. there shud be another pic somewhere showing the socks. but don't know for sure
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-20-21, 02:05 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Cold Feet!!! Hate it... I'm one of those guys that when my feet get cold I am a GONNER. One thing to take note on is how tight your boots are. I have noted that in cold weather tight boots are much colder no matter what kind of socks you are wearing...
Old 12-21-21, 10:35 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
My best winter socks are DeFeet Woolie Boolie socks. I also tried the neoprene and did not find them warm.
Old 12-21-21, 04:31 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
My feet sweat no matter what. I sit on a picnic table, take shoes off & let everything dry out. Or, I walk around.
YMMV
Old 12-22-21, 10:43 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Not buying them? :shrugs:

I own a pair of neoprene socks that I got from Performance Bike probably a decade ago. I've tried them over thick wool socks, under thick wool socks (but over a thin sock liner), by themselves... and after 10+ years I'd say the jury is still out. It's just not clear to me that they offer any significant improvement over a variety of other Keep My Feet Warm approaches. or at least they certainly don't offer an appreciably greater improvement that warrants the nuisance it is to put them on or take them off.
Old 12-24-21, 03:15 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
In hiking they are most used for water trips like Paria Canyon, to both help keep feet a little warmer and to keep sand from getting against the skin.
Old 01-01-22, 05:39 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Try the "Dry Guy" booties. They have adjustable velcro so you literally cannot break them just because of your boot size. And you can re-use them.

they are made for X-country skiing, but, same difference
Old 01-05-22, 01:46 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Neoprene traps moisture inside. Bad idea.
Likes For prj71: