Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sorry, have to brag up my wife

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-04-20, 05:33 PM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts

So, a little back story. My wife has barreled with her weight ever since puberty. She has always thought hypothyroid, but could never get a doctor to do the right tests, and stay with one doctor long enough to see trends. A couple years ago she tried one of the 8 week "boot camp" fitness programs. She did this 4 times in a row with no break between enrollments. She lost a total of 6 pounds. She cut all soda, gained weight. I looked into bariatric surgery for her, for told by the insurance company, sure no problem. She starts, goes through all the red tape, come time for final surgery approval and set a date, denied. Turns out the first person was wrong and they only cover it to fix underlying conditions and not weight loss. I changed employers to just for an insurance policy to cover it. A very willing sacrifice on my part. She had the surgery last November. By her 6 month checkup she is down 85 pounds. Most people are in the 25 to 50 pound range.

Fast forward to today. We went for a quick bike ride with the kiddos. She has rode more this year than the last 4 combined. I suggest to try and tackle "Washburn Hill". Short hill by most of your standards. About a half-mile in length with 65 feet of climb. But the last time she was up there on a bicycle was junior high. But she made it all the way up without having to stop. And she was in my Kona Roast (no light weight rig) that has been converted to 1x9 with a bash ring. So really middle middle chain ring.

Probably one of my proudest moments for her during our marriage of 14 years.
Old 06-04-20, 05:43 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
Good for her! Sounds like she has good support from you.
Old 06-04-20, 06:25 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Melvang
So, a little back story. My wife has barreled with her weight ever since puberty. She has always thought hypothyroid, but could never get a doctor to do the right tests, and stay with one doctor long enough to see trends. A couple years ago she tried one of the 8 week "boot camp" fitness programs. She did this 4 times in a row with no break between enrollments. She lost a total of 6 pounds. She cut all soda, gained weight. I looked into bariatric surgery for her, for told by the insurance company, sure no problem. She starts, goes through all the red tape, come time for final surgery approval and set a date, denied. Turns out the first person was wrong and they only cover it to fix underlying conditions and not weight loss. I changed employers to just for an insurance policy to cover it. A very willing sacrifice on my part. She had the surgery last November. By her 6 month checkup she is down 85 pounds. Most people are in the 25 to 50 pound range.

Fast forward to today. We went for a quick bike ride with the kiddos. She has rode more this year than the last 4 combined. I suggest to try and tackle "Washburn Hill". Short hill by most of your standards. About a half-mile in length with 65 feet of climb. But the last time she was up there on a bicycle was junior high. But she made it all the way up without having to stop. And she was in my Kona Roast (no light weight rig) that has been converted to 1x9 with a bash ring. So really middle middle chain ring.

Probably one of my proudest moments for her during our marriage of 14 years.
great but what was her average Heart rate. power out put and tempo.
thanks.😀
Old 06-04-20, 06:26 PM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
That is awesome and a real testament to the teamwork that makes a marriage last. Good on BOTH of you for the accomplishment!
Old 06-04-20, 06:33 PM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
thanks.😀
Old 06-04-20, 07:20 PM
awesemblauge

Bikes: colnago master piu, litespeed ultimate, kona sutra, knolly chilcotin, knolly podium

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
i just spent the past half hour digging through my building's recycling bin because i thought i accidentally threw my mail key in. after coming back to my apartment to grab a headlamp i saw my keys sitting on my desk. this immediately pulled me out of my bad mood, so thank you for sharing!
Old 06-04-20, 07:47 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
thanks.😀
Meh. The only number that matters is the weight loss. The other stuff is superfluous.
Old 06-04-20, 10:17 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Maybe, just maybe, @thehammerdog was being facetious. Not a big deal, but the wife's accomplishment is a very big deal whether she ever rides a bike again or not. Congrats!
Likes For thumpism:
Old 06-05-20, 03:39 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Originally Posted by thumpism
Maybe, just maybe, @thehammerdog was being facetious. Not a big deal, but the wife's accomplishment is a very big deal whether she ever rides a bike again or not. Congrats!
dude.
it was a goof.
fun = funny.
good for her.
Old 06-05-20, 03:40 AM
thehammerdog

Originally Posted by skidder
Meh. The only number that matters is the weight loss. The other stuff is superfluous.
yes.
thus the humor.
Old 06-05-20, 06:03 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
dude.
it was a goof.
fun = funny.
Hey, don't tell me, tell them. I had conceded the point in my post.

And remember, it's only fun and games until someone loses an eye.
Old 06-05-20, 06:24 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 215 Posts
What a great outcome! Between the weight loss and her renewed interest in cycling, she has probably added years to your partnership. Kudos to both of you.
Old 06-05-20, 06:33 AM
thehammerdog

Originally Posted by thumpism
Hey, don't tell me, tell them. I had conceded the point in my post.

And remember, it's only fun and games until someone loses an eye.
indeed.
Old 06-05-20, 06:38 AM
Hobbit712

Bikes: Gaint Rapid 2, Jamis Dragonslayer Pro, Raleigh C40

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Great story. Good for both of you!
Old 06-05-20, 06:50 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Congrats to her for her accomplishments! My wife was putting on lots of weight once, it did turn out to be her thyroid, which is now under control with medication. She did a lot of research and finally demanded a doc do the test which showed it was indeed the thyroid. Glad she's riding and enjoying it along with you.
Old 06-05-20, 08:06 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
My wife has struggled with weight pretty much her whole life. She just looks at an Oreo and puts on 5 lbs. So I get it, it isn't an easy journey. Kudos to her for toughing it out instead of just giving up and accepting she has to be 'fat' like so many do, and kudos for stick by her.