Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Talk me out of the Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8.0

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-20, 07:30 PM
basscadet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

Is there any reason I should not be looking to buy a Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2 bike as a good road companion bike to a dedicated gravel bike?

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...nfarbe=BK%2FGY

For $3999, with an Ultegra Di2 component set and the weight of 7.5 kg...having a hard time understanding/justifying the $3000 additional cost to get something like the Tarmac SL7 Pro.
Old 08-10-20, 08:13 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by basscadet
Is there any reason I should not be looking to buy a Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2 bike as a good road companion bike to a dedicated gravel bike?

For $3999, with an Ultegra Di2 component set and the weight of 7.5 kg...having a hard time understanding/justifying the $3000 additional cost to get something like the Tarmac SL7 Pro.
It isn’t an apples to apples comparison. The wheels on the Specialized are about 1200 more than the wheels on the Canyon. Obviously that doesn’t make up the whole difference but a good chunk.

The Canyon comes with a press fit bottom bracket which on a value bike is a big red flag. The Tarmac has a threaded bottom bracket. For some that alone would justify the price difference plus the fact you can always sell a bike like a Tarmac.

For the price of the Tarmac you could get a custom bike with high end components and the same weight.
Old 08-10-20, 08:17 PM
basscadet

Originally Posted by Mulberry20
It isn’t an apples to apples comparison. The wheels on the Specialized are about 1200 more than the wheels on the Canyon. Obviously that doesn’t make up the whole difference but a good chunk.

The Canyon comes with a press fit bottom bracket which on a value bike is a big red flag. The Tarmac has a threaded bottom bracket. For some that alone would justify the price difference plus the fact you can always sell a bike like a Tarmac.
OK sorry....but why is having a pressfit BB a red flag? I have thousands of miles on various bikes and I think all of them have pressfit BBs? (I think??)

Good point about the Tarmac's wheels. Maybe apples to apples is the Tarmac SL7 Expert that doesn't come with the lightweight wheels. Is the Tarmac still a better buy @ $5000 than $4000 for the Ultimate?
Old 08-10-20, 08:23 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
The biggest reason I can think of is what will Mrs. Basscadet say when she finds out you spent 3,000$ more than the other bike cost.
Likes For blue192:
Old 08-10-20, 08:24 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
OK sorry....but why is having a pressfit BB a red flag? I have thousands of miles on various bikes and I think all of them have pressfit BBs? (I think??)

Good point about the Tarmac's wheels. Maybe apples to apples is the Tarmac SL7 Expert that doesn't come with the lightweight wheels. Is the Tarmac still a better buy @ $5000 than $4000 for the Ultimate?
For me yes, for three reasons 1) Service, 2) Threaded BB and 3) Resale. I wouldn’t buy it but compared to the Canyon it is a better value.

I ride the 6 mile loop in Central Park every night like it is a Crit and I hear press fit bottom brackets on new bikes clicking and clacking and creaking every night. That would drive me crazy if I spent that kind of money.

Would you spend an extra 1200 over the Specialized on this gorgeous 16.5lb beauty, custom.

https://officinabattaglin.com/produc...kes/portofino/

Last edited by Mulberry20; 08-10-20 at 08:29 PM.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 08-10-20, 10:12 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
People who complain about press fit bb creaks are largely just looking for some sort of justification about why their bike is so much better for them than a different brand/model/style of bike than they have, as opposed to actually having a 100% accurate complaint. There are many, many bicycles in this world with press fit bb and they work very well. There are some that had problems, and some that have very few issues. It’s not as cut & dried as press fit vs threaded. That being said, I would like a press fit bb simply because I don’t own the Park Tool bearing press yet, but I have tools for threaded. Otherwise, big deal. And my Canyon doesn’t creak. It screams, it wails, and it rides like a hell hound-powered rocket bike shopped up on go-go juice. But no creaks.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 08-10-20, 10:19 PM
y2zipper

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Choosing a bike at any given price point outside the top end of price ranges is largely about what you want and concessions. At 4k these days you get something between 7.5 and 8 kg and make some concessions.

Ignoring the bb debate, the Canyon is a pretty good choice if you absolutely have to have Di2.A mentioned, the downside there is the wheelset.
​​​​
Old 08-11-20, 06:04 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
What is your dedicated gravel bike?
Old 08-11-20, 06:31 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Current waiting times are horrendous.

Negative reviews have skyrocketed this year, almost exclusively due to service. But to be honest I think this applies to every manufacturer.

Oh and major lol at people trying to claim the Tarmac is "better value".
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 08-11-20, 06:33 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts

These are uncertain times and the economy is uncertain. Save all the money you were going to use to buy any bike related purchases and put it in an emergency fund. Not a fun reason, but a good reason.
Old 08-11-20, 06:39 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
I've never heard of a traditional threaded BB developing creaks; while it may be rare, I have heard of (and heard) press-ft BBs with those problems, and some are difficult to address. Since I am OCD enough that chronic creaking would ruin a bike for me, I prefer threaded BBs.

I also like better wheels, and am willing to pay for them. Oh, and I like being able to take my new-ish bike to a store for warranty work.

Given that I keep my bikes long-term (still riding my 12-year old Tarmac), an extra $3000 is chump change, if it gets me what I want.
Old 08-11-20, 07:32 AM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
PF BB creak is an easy fix. You just yank the BB out and put in a Wheels Manufacturing press fit to threaded conversion BB.
I prefer threaded but I'm not going to turn down a good deal just because of the BB. Two of my three bikes are PF and my road/gravel bike has a Wheels Manufacturing BB in it already and as soon as my full suspension bike starts giving me constant problems it will get one too.
Old 08-11-20, 11:03 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Are PF bottom brackets really such a plague upon the cycling landscape? I mean, just about every one knows someone who knows someone who had a creaking PF BB, but is there any empiric data showing how often it occurs? Not trying to foment controversy, but it seems to me that throwing a large array of bikes our of consideration over BB design is a bit shortsighted. Especially when a simple, < $100 adapter solves the problem. Just sayin'
Likes For bmcer:
Old 08-11-20, 11:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
You'll put your eye out.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-11-20, 11:43 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
Are PF bottom brackets really such a plague upon the cycling landscape? I mean, just about every one knows someone who knows someone who had a creaking PF BB, but is there any empiric data showing how often it occurs? Not trying to foment controversy, but it seems to me that throwing a large array of bikes our of consideration over BB design is a bit shortsighted. Especially when a simple, < $100 adapter solves the problem. Just sayin'
I have put thousands of km on BB30 style bottom brackets without an issue. My S Works Roubaix has a pressfit with no issues and my last Diverge had pressfit, I put that bike through hell no creaks. I rode multiple long-distance self-supported tours in extreme weather conditions including torrential downpours. Should a creak appear fix is easy and reasonable, new BB or locktite applied to bearing seat. What did end up creaking on me was Campagnolo BB assemblies on both my Ultra Torque equipped bikes the cups became worn and required replacement.
Old 08-11-20, 11:47 AM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
No, just buy it already.
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 08-11-20, 12:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10418 Post(s)
Liked 11,876 Times in 6,083 Posts
The only reason I can think of is that the mechanical version is $1000 cheaper, and I'd go for that, but I'm old fashioned that way.

My Canyon was in stock when I ordered it and took all of 3 days to arrive. It took half an hour to assemble, because I was being persnickety. After a 16 mile "Shakedown Cruise" I changed out the saddle and lowered the stem, and it's now my dedicated Sunday bike.

I don't know about their customer service because I didn't need anything from them.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-11-20, 12:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
All service after the sale will not be available as Canyon ships direct, Like Bikes Direct.
other than sending it back, you are on your own..

FWIW. The Local Here has Taken in Boxed Bike Direct bikes an finished the assembly & tune up for a fee..
they back the work they did for a while, other issues, No.
Old 08-11-20, 12:50 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
With leadtimes being what they are for 'off-th-peg', i would be looking for a custom builder.
Old 08-11-20, 12:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by fietsbob
All service after the sale will not be available as Canyon ships direct, Like Bikes Direct.
other than sending it back, you are on your own..

FWIW. The Local Here has Taken in Boxed Bike Direct bikes an finished the assembly & tune up for a fee..
they back the work they did for a while, other issues, No.
I will say that Canyons or others like that are best for people comfortable with doing their own wrenching and setting up position. But apparently there's a company you can pay to assemble and adjust it for you - Velofix?

Old 08-11-20, 02:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
LBS.. in my town..
Old 08-11-20, 04:44 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
These are uncertain times and the economy is uncertain. Save all the money you were going to use to buy any bike related purchases and put it in an emergency fund. Not a fun reason, but a good reason.
Oh man, someone needs to ban Debbie Downer. Who needs such grown up negativity on a bike site?
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 08-11-20, 05:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Oh man, someone needs to ban Debbie Downer. Who needs such grown up negativity on a bike site?
Plus, you know what happens when everyone gets thrifty and saves their money?

Higher unemployment. Slow or no economic growth.

Old 08-11-20, 08:28 PM
basscadet

Originally Posted by sarhog
What is your dedicated gravel bike?
It is a 2 month old OPEN U.P. that I absolutely adore, worship, etc.
Likes For basscadet:
Old 08-11-20, 11:38 PM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Plus, you know what happens when everyone gets thrifty and saves their money?

Higher unemployment. Slow or no economic growth.
Yea, that is why Germany is such a **** hole.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.