Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

80's Campy Victory derailleur peformance?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

80's Campy Victory derailleur peformance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-20, 05:34 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Thank you............
Old 09-27-20, 07:57 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts

20 miles this morning with hills and light rain on my Victory equipped Panasonic & I enjoyed every minute of it! I don’t know am I a snob or maybe a half snob.
Likes For embankmentlb:
Old 09-27-20, 09:15 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3882 Post(s)
Liked 6,475 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
20 miles this morning with hills and light rain on my Victory equipped Panasonic & I enjoyed every minute of it! I don’t know am I a snob or maybe a half snob.
Full on "snob" apparently!
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-27-20, 09:19 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
Genetically-enhanced Floyd Landis dopepower legs, methinks

Anyway, cross-chaining a Victory groupset for a picture automatically makes you humble

-Kurt

P.S.: Remember that guy who claims to know all the TdF mechanics and why disc brakes are now part of the peleton? That's the type of übersnob I'm talking about. That fellow would come into this thread and beat the fear of St. Tullio into your soul for cross-chaining - like there's nothing better for him to do

Last edited by cudak888; 09-27-20 at 09:25 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-27-20, 11:25 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I mentioned that I wanted to try to get my Simplex SX610 to index. Well I just read that someone got them to index using Shimano 6 or 7 speed shifters and freewheels. It should work just as well with cassettes. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to.
I have a Gitane Tour de France kitted out with a SX630 rear derailleur that indexes fine. Not great, but adequate. The SX630 is the all-metal variant of your SX610. Aside: I have used the SX610, and found it to be the shortest lived rear derailleur I have ever used, as the plastic derailleur parallelogram cage gets loose and sloppy real fast. The thin metal covering on the outside of the plastic bits is basically cosmetic.

Anyway, this is how you get the SX610 to index: start with some Campagnolo 9-speed Ergopower shifters - not the later ones with the round hoods, the earlier ones with the pointy hoods. Then you need a Suntour 7-speed freewheel, which features progressively thinner cog spacing as the cogs get bigger. I like the Winner Pro, particularly because you can customize the spacing.

Note that the SX series of Simplex derailleurs will not handle any cog larger than a 28 - even the long-cage variant of these derailleurs. Even a 28 is dodgy, and requires careful tuning of the tension of the 2 springs inside the derailleur body.

Finally, I recommend a modern 6/7/8 speed chain like Shimano HG or better IG. Vintage chains are hopeless.

Combine the above, and you have relatively decent 7 speed indexed shifting.
Old 09-27-20, 04:20 PM
herr_hest

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I had a tomassini with a victory derailleur. It was working as intended. I rarely notice performance differences in rear derailleurs though unless they're completely off.
Old 09-27-20, 06:49 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by PaPa
I have a matching set of Campagnolo Victory '87-'88? derailleurs, so I was pondering whether or not to try them. .
Take 10 minutes to install and find out.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html