Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-20, 04:36 PM
bazil4696
Bike Doctor

Bikes: Norco Cape Cod tandem, KHS Tandemania Cross, 1952 Claud Butler ladyback tandem, 1971 & '73 Raleigh Suberbes, 1985 Gazelle Sport Solide, 1985 Rossi professional

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts
Regular style Schrader valve stems that are installed or allowed to be pulled by under inflated tires until they are so lopsided in the rim that they cut through the tube at the rim stem hole or you cannot get an air chuck between the spokes to fill the tire. And the word "tire" isn't spelled "tyre"
Old 12-30-20, 04:38 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,458 Times in 3,193 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Campagnolo. I’ll never understand all of the love for such mediocre performance.
And how it triumphed in the pro circuit decade after decade is just astounding!
Old 12-30-20, 04:39 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I don't understand why all the anger with wearing team kit (I have none of them). Nobody would think one was a real pro, right? I see them as an homage - in soccer it's quite common for amateurs to wear famous teams jerseys, sometimes even with the player's name and number on them.
There is a term "Full Kit Wanker" for a reason. It is similar.

I am okay once some years have passed, and it more a retro look (hell, Mapai now seems potentially okay, especially if riding a steel bike). But riding a carbon race bike with a Team Sky kit....always a bad look. And depending where you live, you may find yourself in an awkward situation. Once at the Boulder Velodrome (before it closed), I ended up running into Greg Henderson of Team Sky who was in town for some vacation and training. How awkward had I showed up with a Team Sky kit?
Old 12-30-20, 04:51 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I once followed a guy 35 miles, past 2 rest stops, to finally wipe a streak of grease off of his R seat stay. Red/white/black Wilier.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-30-20, 05:54 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
Comment about the strap being on the inside on the bike above. I bet they put the straps on before putting the pedal on the crank. Too lazy to fix it after some ones 10 year old assembled it.
the bike was being displayed at a bike show; a show displaying bikes owned by some of the most fastidious folks on the eastern half of the USA.. The frame was custom built by Brian Baylis and equipped with NOS bits. It wasn't a casual build by some kid. This was put together by an adult that had vintage bikes as a primary past time.... or at least had the funds to do all of this.

Steve in Peoria
Old 12-30-20, 06:00 PM
steelbikeguy

regarding wearing a team jersey...
Originally Posted by Eric F
Only if you have the correct bike to go with it.
It is fun to have the right jersey to go with a nice bike, such as my Raleigh Team bike. I've actually got a few vintage team jerseys to go with it.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 12-30-20, 06:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
See, I have been searching for just 1 unicorn fork, and here you apparently have em on all your bikes! I feel so unlucky. My search for a unicorn fork shall continue.
Ever since Velouria on the Lovely Bicycle! blog accidentally typo'd "unicorn" instead of "unicrown", I've adopted that alt-spell version out of habit. Now my phone autocorrect "fixes" it whenever I try to write "unicrown." I suppose I should fix the autocorrect. It's an old meme but it still makes me laugh.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-30-20, 06:39 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Ummm, can I see pictures of said flipped bars? I'm toying with this idea on a 1960 Hercules 3 speed with a canti-like frame and I'm concerned it'll ruin "the look", since a 'path racer' was usually a diamond frame.
This is the only photo I can find on my phone. It was taken by a friend a couple of years ago, while I was recovering from injury and illness and mostly riding my Univega hybrid instead of my road bikes. Probably a screen grab off my friend's FB page.

Flipped swept bars do look good on a path racer tho.

The other problem with my bike's aesthetics is retaining the original Shimano brake levers, which included protruding plates for bolting on the modular RapidFire thumb shifters, both of which broke a few years ago. Now I use bar-end shifters. So those original brake levers look clunky without the thumbies.

And a flipped swept bar might look better wrapped, rather than with chunky rubber grips. Although those ergo-friendly palm shelf grips are comfy.

Flipped Nitto albatross bar on my Univega, summer 2018.

Last edited by canklecat; 12-30-20 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-30-20, 07:19 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Terminology: front fork, rear cassette.
Basically no one says that any more. At least I haven’t seen it. *shrug*
Old 12-30-20, 07:36 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
This is the only photo I can find on my phone. It was taken by a friend a couple of years ago, while I was recovering from injury and illness and mostly riding my Univega hybrid instead of my road bikes. Probably a screen grab off my friend's FB page.

Flipped swept bars do look good on a path racer tho.

Flipped Nitto albatross bar on my Univega, summer 2018.
probably would’ve looked fine-to-good with the cluttered looking mess of lights relocated onto a nicely finished scrap of ~1” tube mounted to a Nitto M12 type rack.
Likes For hsuBM:
Old 12-30-20, 07:50 PM
dmarkun
Slowfoot

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh International, 1979 Scapin (?), 1980 Trek 715, 1984 SR Maxima, 1993 Bridgestone RB1, 1998 753 Waterford X-12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 49 Posts
Chris King headsets and straight fork blades.
Riding no-handed on a busy multiuse path.
Really, really bright headlights.
Plastic bike passing me very fast (sadly this happens very often).

Bottom to top is good with bar end shifters.
Doesn't bug me when people try to make a bike lighter (except maybe titanium screws).
Likes For dmarkun:
Old 12-30-20, 07:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by hsuBM
probably would’ve looked fine-to-good with the cluttered looking mess of lights relocated onto a nicely finished scrap of ~1” tube mounted to a Nitto M12 type rack.
Yeah, that photo was taken while I was recovering from being hit by a car on the *one* occasion in three years I didn't ride with a video camera. Now I *never* ride without video, usually front and rear. I don't care how it looks anymore.

And I always take two or more lights on night rides, since they often stretch out several hours before I get home.

But, yeah, it does look cluttered. One of my goals is to set up a proper all weather night ride bike for these casual group rides, with a front rack and proper light mounted on the head tube, rack, etc.
Old 12-30-20, 09:10 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
In the spirit of the original question, "what bothers you more than other people": font usage. I swear, there must be some builders or companies who actively want their bikes to look worse than the should, if they had spent more than two seconds looking at fonts. Many of the older classic and vintage are fine or even excellent, though, so my frustration lies more with modern fonts, I guess.
Old 12-30-20, 09:12 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
In the "I'm going to complain about something that most people on this board would probably agree with": so-called "micro-adjust" seatposts of the 1980's that aren't anything of the sort and have an infernal ratcheting/indexing system behind their (in)ability to level a saddle. Good grief.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 12-30-20, 09:25 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
the bike was being displayed at a bike show; a show displaying bikes owned by some of the most fastidious folks on the eastern half of the USA.. The frame was custom built by Brian Baylis and equipped with NOS bits. It wasn't a casual build by some kid. This was put together by an adult that had vintage bikes as a primary past time.... or at least had the funds to do all of this.

Steve in Peoria
Steve, I implied that the task of putting the straps on may have been delegated, not that the kid put the bike together. Somehow it slipped by, regardless, like a kid would do. I have done worse.
Old 12-30-20, 09:39 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by bazil4696
Regular style Schrader valve stems that are installed or allowed to be pulled by under inflated tires until they are so lopsided in the rim that they cut through the tube at the rim stem hole or you cannot get an air chuck between the spokes to fill the tire. And the word "tire" isn't spelled "tyre"
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/bike-tyres/ Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 12-30-20, 11:05 PM
g-funk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dmarkun
Chris King headsets and straight fork blades.
Riding no-handed on a busy multiuse path.
Really, really bright headlights.
Plastic bike passing me very fast (sadly this happens very often).

Bottom to top is good with bar end shifters.
Doesn't bug me when people try to make a bike lighter (except maybe titanium screws).
Chris King Headsets?!???!
Old 12-30-20, 11:52 PM
jPrichard10 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 112 Posts
Forgot to mention: loud freehubs! I don't know why newer freehubs sound so loud and plasticky. I miss one of my early shimano hubs that was nearly silent while coasting. Nothing worse than hearing the angry swarm coming from your rear axle!
Likes For jPrichard10:
Old 12-31-20, 12:40 AM
sincos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by jPrichard10
Forgot to mention: loud freehubs! I don't know why newer freehubs sound so loud and plasticky. I miss one of my early shimano hubs that was nearly silent while coasting. Nothing worse than hearing the angry swarm coming from your rear axle!
It's to advertise how quick the engagement is (which is actually relevant with MTBs but IMO overblown, and totally irrelevant to road bikes). The buzzier the quicker. They're packed with light oil to increase the buzz, you can repack with grease if you like them quieter. (Actually the quickest engagements use sprag clutches, which are silent. But then you can't show off)

Me, I hate noisy freehubs..
Old 12-31-20, 01:39 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Infatuation with “period correct” components on a bike that will be ridden regularly. Or are there bike style cops out there who actually check for such things, outside of L’Eroica events?

Calling something a “Gruppo” that isn’t Italian components.

Insistence that we must have shift assist features on chain rings. They’re nice, but we shifted without them for decades. And pretty sure that “9/10/11 speed chain rings” are nothing more than marketing speak as one more way to separate cyclists from their money.

The overwhelming permutations of FD types and sizes when trying to find something that will work on a donated bike at Bike Works.

Regarding front QR lever on DS: When my wife’s disc brake bike was assembled (not by me), that was explained as preferable to keep greasy hands away from rotors and their heat.
Old 12-31-20, 05:00 AM
geeteeiii

Bikes: HVZ Meteor 1979, HVZ Champion 1962, HVZ SS Moskva80 1981, Dürkopp 1936

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 70 Posts
Unicrown forks and forks that rake but have straight blades annoy me the most personally, but for some reason i really like the almost zero rake track bike forks.
Modern saddles also dont really float my boat, covered sides look better, atleast on a vintage bicycle.
Old 12-31-20, 06:28 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
Originally Posted by jPrichard10
I have wondered if the hollow carbon frames act as a resonance chamber to amplify the noise. In any case, it seems to change the tone, like one of those New Years noise makers vs. the higher pitched metallic buzz on a steel frame.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 12-31-20, 07:40 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by SJX426
Steve, I implied that the task of putting the straps on may have been delegated, not that the kid put the bike together. Somehow it slipped by, regardless, like a kid would do. I have done worse.
perhaps.
even if the task was delegated, the owner must have glanced at it?
To anyone who has used toe clips and straps extensively, this sticks out horribly. .... sort of like going to work and realizing that you forgot to put pants on.

I think it just indicates that the owner likes cycling and is fascinated by the old stuff, but has no history or experience with it. That's not a bad thing, but it seems like a case of the enthusiasm or money getting far ahead of actual knowledge.

Aviation is another hobby of mine, and there are parallels with this. The usual story is that someone has a few million dollars to buy a beautiful old fighter aircraft and get the training to fly it. They don't have the time to develop their skills fully (and these are not easy aircraft to fly) and end up crashing the aircraft and sometimes getting themselves killed too. I watched one of these individuals crash his business jet at Oshkosh, Wisconsin. It turned out that he had crashed his P-51 Mustang some years earlier. He managed to not kill his passenger at Oshkosh, but he did lose an eye, so perhaps he's not flying anymore?
Fortunately, an incorrectly routed toe strap won't do any damage other than scratch up a crank arm.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 12-31-20, 09:00 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 1,841 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by g-funk
Chris King Headsets?!???!
Yes. Easily the most overrated bike part of all time. Sure, they are super high quality and look great. But so is a Tange Levin for 1/7 the cost.
Old 12-31-20, 09:07 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 1,841 Times in 1,053 Posts
To echo some of you and to add my own...

Fixie conversions.
The term "fixie"
Townie conversions
The term "townie"
Tires not lined up with the valve stems
QR skewers not lined properly.
Mustache bars
Poorly adjusted headlights that blind oncoming riders. While I am at it, headlights that are bright enough to light up a stadium for Monday Night Football.
People faster than me and people slower than me (to paraphrase George Carlin: everyone faster than me is a maniac, and everyone slower than me is an idiot.)
Dogs on retractable leashes. More accurately, owners of dogs on retractable leashes.
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.