Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Getting dropped on hills

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Getting dropped on hills

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-21, 06:10 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Im 230-235 lbs this is probably hurting me
It is all power to weight baby! Guys who weigh 50 pounds less than you will complain that a 150 pound rider is killing them on the hills... Also, what is your age? What is your max HR before you explode? How long can you sustain 80 or more percent of max? Hill climbing takes a lot of time to become good at and you may be too large to ever be one of the really fast guys. I am pretty good at them but I am 6'3" and weigh 193. I am also 63 years old. I ride hills with my 14 year old who is 140 pounds and when he puts that hammer down on the hills, there is nothing that I can do to keep up. Now, on rolling terrain tempo riding, I can pull away from him but on hills of 8 percent and more? Nope.
Old 05-07-21, 06:18 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3656 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Looking at previous threads, I've decided that this is performance artist.
He's found his tribe in the Supertuck thread
Old 05-07-21, 09:05 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
It is all power to weight baby! Guys who weigh 50 pounds less than you will complain that a 150 pound rider is killing them on the hills... Also, what is your age? What is your max HR before you explode? How long can you sustain 80 or more percent of max? Hill climbing takes a lot of time to become good at and you may be too large to ever be one of the really fast guys. I am pretty good at them but I am 6'3" and weigh 193. I am also 63 years old. I ride hills with my 14 year old who is 140 pounds and when he puts that hammer down on the hills, there is nothing that I can do to keep up. Now, on rolling terrain tempo riding, I can pull away from him but on hills of 8 percent and more? Nope.

im 25 and don’t know anything about my heart rate/power/80% max but I ride 100-150 miles a week. Maybe I should start training more seriously because I’m planning on upping my mileage to 200+ a week. Atleast get a heart rate monitor.

that’s sick that you are riding with your kid and that he can beat you up the hills, it sounds like he’s going to be a beast. I couldn’t beat my old man up the hills until I was 18. Keep on keeping on brother.
Old 05-07-21, 09:16 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,997 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
There was a guy on YouTube who would wear a rubber mask of an old man and old guy cloths and pass younger rider on hills
Likes For big john:
Old 05-07-21, 09:50 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
wait till he 16, he will drop you on everything.
Old 05-07-21, 01:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Um, unless this is an unusual little corner of the Bay Area, I think not. There are hella fast riders in those parts. Maybe the local fast groups aren't so easy to find.
Go out for a ride early on Sunday - like before 8 AM - and if you're in the Woodside/Portola area, you'll probably see them.

Briefly.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-07-21, 01:27 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by genejockey
Go out for a ride early on Sunday - like before 8 AM - and if you're in the Woodside/Portola area, you'll probably see them.

Briefly.
thanks for the tip! Normally I patrol Canada when I’m out chasing weekend warriors, but it sounds like I should be on sand hill/alpine.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 05-07-21 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-07-21, 01:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
"weakend warriors"

Chase the ones who haven't been weakened. That'll be more impressive.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-07-21, 01:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I am a fat alcoholic so I’m under no delusion that I will race any time soon, but it would be nice to be nearly as strong as them. I’m a commuter and I like being the fastest guy on my route, running into the noon ride really put a wrench in my gears and showed me just how fast the real guys are.

they can make fun of me all they want, I’ll just get stronger and come back faster. Gonna spend some time going up a big daddy hill instead of chasing them in a futile effort.

also why are old guys so damn fast lol?? They chill down the hills but I swear once you hit like 65+ and have spent years on the saddle you level up or something. Love to see it. In your pic it’s sick that the portly Lycra dude was able to keep up with you two, I can tell just by looking that the you and the dude on the left are fast
​​​​​​They've been riding since they were young. 🙂
Old 05-07-21, 01:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by terrymorse
The other riders will shun you like the plague.
​​​​​​People don't shun the plague.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-07-21, 01:56 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3656 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
I am a fat alcoholic....
Kudos! That puts you in some esteemed company here on BF. Some of our most entertaining (former) members fit that description.
Old 05-07-21, 02:07 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by genejockey
"weakend warriors"

Chase the ones who haven't been weakened. That'll be more impressive.
lol idk why I wrote weekend like that must be autocorrect. Yeah I try to chase strong people
Old 05-07-21, 02:09 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Kudos! That puts you in some esteemed company here on BF. Some of our most entertaining (former) members fit that description.
Im trying to upgrade to pudgy binge drinker, getting closer tbh! slowed down a bit on drinking and lost some weight as ive increased my mileage on the bike
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 05-07-21, 02:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Same. We did a COVID-friendly local TT series last summer and I could always take my kid on the flat courses. But he'd kill me on the hill climbs. He would give me a couple minutes head start and then just fly by me.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-07-21, 02:13 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​They've been riding since they were young. 🙂
my theory is they have high cadence and breath correctly, young guys can get away without being efficient
Old 05-07-21, 02:19 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,060 Times in 3,810 Posts
my theory is they have high cadence and breath correctly, young guys can get away without being efficient
Your theory needs some adjustment. FTP and power-to-weight ratio are pretty big factors that cannot be ignored.
Old 05-07-21, 02:21 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,060 Times in 3,810 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Same. We did a COVID-friendly local TT series last summer and I could always take my kid on the flat courses. But he'd kill me on the hill climbs. He would give me a couple minutes head start and then just fly by me.
Very cool that you get to share cycling with your kid. Neither of my girls ever showed much of an interest.
Old 05-07-21, 02:45 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Your theory needs some adjustment. FTP and power-to-weight ratio are pretty big factors that cannot be ignored.
Another factor is fatigue resistance, which is a factor on longer rides. Old guys may not have the power, but they last longer.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-07-21, 03:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

​​​​​​Speed on a bike is just math. Inefficiency hurts young guys just as much as old ones. Younger people have a higher ceiling on their potential, but Tok Tok doesn't develop any of that potential. But you're right they a lot of the masters crowd has figured out how it's done.
Old 05-07-21, 03:09 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Another factor is fatigue resistance, which is a factor on longer rides. Old guys may not have the power, but they last longer.
That's what she said.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-08-21, 12:05 AM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Snotrub
...I made getting dropped on climbs an art form. What eventually helped me was to start the climb in the front of the group and hopefully, as I slid to the back, the climb ended before being dropped.
LOL, that made me laugh...thx!
Old 05-08-21, 02:04 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
He has gotten a lot stronger in the past few years. I try to work with him to improve his cycling skills, particularly descending. I think that he gets it that cycling does not have to be about racing but training as if you are a racer but for the pure joy of feeling your body do what you want it to do.
Old 05-08-21, 08:14 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
This thread has run its course, especially with the trolling. Thread closed.
Likes For StanSeven: