Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Delinking of Cranks and wheel

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 09-18-21, 07:52 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts

Chain-free bike by wire.
Would eliminate the need for any drive train maintenance. Ultimately might be simpler to build with fewer parts than regular e-bikes.
Could this be where E-bikes will eventually end up?

https://spectrum.ieee.org/emotor-chain-free-cargo-bike
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 09-18-21, 11:00 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
I sure hope not. Says a lot for the mentality of ebikers if that's what they want. There's no way to feel the slope, or a headwind, or the terrain with your body. All you're doing is spinning a generator. Ugh. No physical input to the wheels. If I was a pedicab driver, I'd want one. But as someone who likes the feel of riding, might as well hop on q mpred and throttle around.

Old 09-19-21, 08:26 AM
billridesbikes

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
I sure hope not. Says a lot for the mentality of ebikers if that's what they want. There's no way to feel the slope, or a headwind, or the terrain with your body. All you're doing is spinning a generator. Ugh. No physical input to the wheels. If I was a pedicab driver, I'd want one. But as someone who likes the feel of riding, might as well hop on q mpred and throttle around.
My understanding is this is not how the pedaling will work. The controller will adjust the magnetic resistance of the crank based on the ‘gear’ selection and grade of the road much like a smart trainer so the pedaling will feel like a normal chain driven bike except the resistance is generated electronically rather than by a physical gear ratio or force on a chain.
Old 09-19-21, 02:57 PM
johnin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The article didn't mention anything about thermodynamic efficiency - wonder how this compares to the chain and sprocket drive, which can be greater than 90% efficient. There are three changes here, from mechanical energy to electrical energy and back to mechanical energy, with losses at each step.
Old 09-19-21, 10:24 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by johnin
The article didn't mention anything about thermodynamic efficiency - wonder how this compares to the chain and sprocket drive, which can be greater than 90% efficient. There are three changes here, from mechanical energy to electrical energy and back to mechanical energy, with losses at each step.
I guess the idea is to remove the chain and other parts wearing out. No messy lube.
Old 09-20-21, 06:11 AM
klevin

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
This company, Schaeffler, just has a good public affairs unit. Their approach might make sense for throttle drive cargo bikes with massive batteries where pedals are optional, but as johnin said, it's a very inefficient drive. Roller chains, which is what bike chains are properly called, are over 98% efficient, meaning 98% of the effort at the pedals gets to the wheels and then the ground. A generator motor set is unlikely to be even 50% efficient.

There's nothing new here except the hype.
Old 09-20-21, 08:24 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Its interesting because some of my non ebike friends seem to think that is how a regular ebike works.
Old 09-20-21, 09:18 AM
Doc_Wui

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
My understanding is this is not how the pedaling will work. The controller will adjust the magnetic resistance of the crank based on the ‘gear’ selection and grade of the road much like a smart trainer so the pedaling will feel like a normal chain driven bike except the resistance is generated electronically rather than by a physical gear ratio or force on a chain.
So energy and money is wasted creating resistance to simulate a hill? Goofy.

The concept works in electomotive diesel engines and submarines. Engines spin generators to charge the batteries that spin the wheels and the props. Only works for a human powering a bike if the rider parks the bike and spins the pedals to recharge. Probably 1 hour of spin for 20 minutes of ride.

People have already tried this. Reviewers hated the ride, and especially hated that pedalling didn't generate enough current to spin the motor.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/review...ose-im-review/
Old 09-20-21, 10:27 AM
billridesbikes

People have already tried this. Reviewers hated the ride, and especially hated that pedalling didn't generate enough current to spin the motor.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/review...ose-im-review/
"Very comfortable to ride", doesn't exactly sound like a review dripping with vitriol and hate to me. However it sounds like they have same range anxiety some people have for EVs and the reviewer was willing to sacrifice comfort for 'peace of mind', whatever that means. Not everyone will feel the same way. If you have a large cargo e-bike on a grocery run comfort might be your top priority rather than if you can pedal home at 4mph with no charge.

And initial prototypes and inventions are rarely prefect are they? I feel some of the reviewers complaints here will get improved over time with better firmware and better batteries will improve range. Remember Mavic's electronic shifting from the 1990s?
Old 09-20-21, 05:42 PM
Doc_Wui

One of the best parts of biking, including ebiking is when the derailleur clicks as you coast down a hill. You'll have to fake that sound with a speaker. LOL.
Old 09-21-21, 06:15 AM
klevin

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
One of the best parts of biking, including ebiking is when the derailleur clicks as you coast down a hill. You'll have to fake that sound with a speaker. LOL.
Some luxury cars and SUV fake exhaust sounds through the in car audio system, so why not on an ebike?
Old 09-21-21, 07:17 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 448 Posts