Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hand Drawn Pinarello

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hand Drawn Pinarello

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-21, 11:34 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Stunning! I've often thought about doing something similar but I KNOW it wouldn't come out anywhere near this nicely. Absolutely cool!
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 11-02-21, 11:47 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by FireWaterBoy
It's actually quite funny you say that.. I did quit my job a few weeks ago and I'm hoping to turn this into a full time gig.
There's a pretty good market for custom paint jobs. They will be queuing up a mile for this kind of stunning work.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-02-21, 05:24 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
I love bike art and custom paint jobs that are tributes and a personal job for such an extreme crash is really special.
Below is a "masterpiece" paint job tribute to some master artists and I also admire some of the tributes some renown frame painters like Holland have done like the Greatful Dead tribute to Bill Walton's XXXL bike. Not trying to detract from your posting but rather show how special it really is !

Likes For joesch:
Old 11-02-21, 05:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Me and the frame survived. So to turn a negative into a positive I decided to draw on it.

This is the result. I hope you enjoy looking at it
For more info & pics see https://firewaterboy.com/ or https://www.instagram.com/firewaterboy_art/
Enjoy!
That is really quite incredible. It's well beyond a custom paint job.

How did you decide on what to draw on each tube? There seem to be distinct themes- did you start on each tube with a theme or image in mind ahead of time?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-02-21, 07:04 PM
prooney343

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac SL7 Expert, 2021 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Amazing, well done.
Likes For prooney343:
Old 11-02-21, 07:55 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Looks awesome. Your style kinda reminds me of Nick Blinko, but not as dark. It turned out really great.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 11-03-21, 07:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

How did you decide on what to draw on each tube? There seem to be distinct themes- did you start on each tube with a theme or image in mind ahead of time?

+1 on the more than a "custom paint job". The effect of this is really sculptural, turning the whole bike into an art object that is ridden. I would love to see this in person to see the effect of all that detail being contained in that context.

In a perfect world, do a bunch of these and stage a "gallery" show at a velodrome!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-03-21, 07:23 AM
FireWaterBoy

Bikes: Pinarello Galileo 2003

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So, my impression of you is you're basically do art like a jazz musician plays--improvisational, but with such a depth of technique that you "improvise" elegant, ornate details and patterns. My feedback, for what it's worth (probably not much) is that the bike demonstrates how brilliantly your technique can be applied to 3D surfaces.

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm thinking you have an incredible potential for genre-busting here.
You're comment is very nice. Might use it in my profile!

I'm open to trying different objects but would like them to be cycling related. Am currently being persuaded to draw on a Mavic Ksyrium wheel.

The problem is that I'm working on a second bike which takes forever and I still have two large pieces on canvas to finish.

There's just not enough time.. I need a time transplant
Likes For FireWaterBoy:
Old 11-03-21, 07:26 AM
FireWaterBoy

Originally Posted by joesch
I love bike art and custom paint jobs that are tributes and a personal job for such an extreme crash is really special.
Below is a "masterpiece" paint job tribute to some master artists and I also admire some of the tributes some renown frame painters like Holland have done like the Greatful Dead tribute to Bill Walton's XXXL bike. Not trying to detract from your posting but rather show how special it really is !
Wow! I've never seen these before. I love the masterpiece in particular. Thanks for posting
Old 11-03-21, 07:35 AM
FireWaterBoy

Originally Posted by mstateglfr

Glad you enjoyed looking at the bike. Normally I don't have any plan with my drawings, but with the bike there were specific things/patterns that I wanted to put in.

I wanted the puzzle pieces on the top tube, the cubes on the down tube (tribute to Mapei), circles on the seat tube and triangles on the seat stays to give a carbon stay effect. Also towards the end I noticed that I didn't put much writing, so on the chain stay I filled it with lyrics from the music I was listening to whilst drawing on the bike.

After that i had fun filling them in with whatever popped into my head.
Likes For FireWaterBoy:
Old 11-03-21, 07:37 AM
FireWaterBoy

+1 on the more than a "custom paint job". The effect of this is really sculptural, turning the whole bike into an art object that is ridden. I would love to see this in person to see the effect of all that detail being contained in that context.

In a perfect world, do a bunch of these and stage a "gallery" show at a velodrome!
To be honest the photos don't do it justice. there is so much detail all around the tubes that a camera just can't capture.

I'm currently working on a second bike and I'm planning to have an exhibition once that's finished along with my regular work.
Likes For FireWaterBoy:
Old 11-03-21, 07:39 AM
FireWaterBoy

Would just like to thank everyone here for your great feedback and support.

I really appreciate it!

Likes For FireWaterBoy:
Old 11-03-21, 08:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

You're comment is very nice. Might use it in my profile!

I'm open to trying different objects but would like them to be cycling related. Am currently being persuaded to draw on a Mavic Ksyrium wheel.

The problem is that I'm working on a second bike which takes forever and I still have two large pieces on canvas to finish.

There's just not enough time.. I need a time transplant
Are the bike-related projects commissions?

I'm excited by the thought of bicycling having a Doodle-Sculpture-Painter Laureate!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-03-21, 08:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Glad you enjoyed looking at the bike. Normally I don't have any plan with my drawings, but with the bike there were specific things/patterns that I wanted to put in.

I wanted the puzzle pieces on the top tube, the cubes on the down tube (tribute to Mapei), circles on the seat tube and triangles on the seat stays to give a carbon stay effect. Also towards the end I noticed that I didn't put much writing, so on the chain stay I filled it with lyrics from the music I was listening to whilst drawing on the bike.

After that i had fun filling them in with whatever popped into my head.

Have you thought about doing a bike with a narrative? Combination of words, pictures, glyphs or whatever to tell a story?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-03-21, 08:52 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I'll just echo what everyone has already said, that is amazing!!
and the echoes continue .....
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-03-21, 10:02 AM
FireWaterBoy

Are the bike-related projects commissions?

I'm excited by the thought of bicycling having a Doodle-Sculpture-Painter Laureate!
Not commissions.

The bike I'm working on at the moment is for a friend who is a frame builder. He donated one of his frames to me to promote his business.

The drawings include some personal things I know about him and also his brand.

And the wheel was built by a good friend of mine who said that my drawings would look cool on it.
Likes For FireWaterBoy:
Old 11-03-21, 10:08 AM
FireWaterBoy

Have you thought about doing a bike with a narrative? Combination of words, pictures, glyphs or whatever to tell a story?
I have done drawings for friends which are really personal. I put things that they like, experiences we've had together, things that are important to them.

I guess if I get a commission for a bike it would be like that. I would interview the person and try to collect information that I would put on their bike.

I try to avoid drawing very specific things because I prefer to draw what comes into my head. It's a bit like meditating (without sounding pretentious), my mind goes blank and I draw whatever.
Likes For FireWaterBoy:
Old 11-03-21, 10:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I have done drawings for friends which are really personal. I put things that they like, experiences we've had together, things that are important to them.

I guess if I get a commission for a bike it would be like that. I would interview the person and try to collect information that I would put on their bike.

I try to avoid drawing very specific things because I prefer to draw what comes into my head. It's a bit like meditating (without sounding pretentious), my mind goes blank and I draw whatever.

Doesn't sound pretentious at all, process is what works for you. Again, I'm struck by how much like an improvisational jazz player you sound.

Did you ever see Bowie describing how he wrote lyrics? It sounded absolutely bonkers, and actually involved drawing pieces of paper with phrases out of a hat sometimes--stuff he cut out of magazines, etc. The results were often brilliant, but he couldn't ever explain how he really got there.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-03-21, 01:18 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Really quite stunning! Reminds me of some of the works in the early Zap! Commix from the early 70's. And all overlaid in black on the simple elegance of a white painted metal framed Italian Pinarello. I love the way the message on any particular tube or part changes subtly the eye moves from one end to the other. Bravo!
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Likes For CroMo Mike:
Old 11-08-21, 03:32 PM
Dvdvija

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
*I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this but didn't know where to put it*

I've always had a real love for late 90's early 00's road bikes. My dream bike was/is the Pinarello Galileo from 2003. I've had this bike for over 10 years, I love it.

But on a high speed descent on a closed corner I crashed quite badly at over 65 kph and totaled the bike.

Me and the frame survived. So to turn a negative into a positive I decided to draw on it.

This is the result. I hope you enjoy looking at it

For more info & pics see https://firewaterboy.com/ or https://www.instagram.com/firewaterboy_art/

Enjoy!
Dude, that's awesome drawing!!
Likes For Dvdvija:
Old 11-08-21, 03:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Dvdvija
Dude, that's awesome drawing!!

I approve this bump.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-08-21, 04:52 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
It took me a bit over 6 months, drawing every night after work until 2 - 3am and most of the day at the weekends.

Had lots of problems with smudging at the start so had to clean/redo a lot of stuff which ate up a lot of time and energy.

I use a permanent marker with a double tip. I used (several of) the same marker for the whole bike and then put a thick lacquer to protect it.
Truly an effort and accomplishment. I think you might need though a Warhol factory setup if you want to turn this into a business and do more than 2-3 bikes per year?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 11-08-21, 11:10 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Have been skipping over this thread since it was posted and man am I ever sorry. Your work is inspired and absolutely amazing.

I would think you could offer special edition custom work to the big manufacturers for their show bikes. Unbelievable work!

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-09-21, 12:05 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I am pretty indifferent towards the romanticism placed on older bikes and componentry however that bike is art! Absolutely beautiful.

I am pretty indifferent on the roamanitism placed on the newer bikes.
This bike is gorgeous, thanks for sharing it wth us !
Likes For frogman:
Old 11-10-21, 07:31 AM
FireWaterBoy

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Truly an effort and accomplishment. I think you might need though a Warhol factory setup if you want to turn this into a business and do more than 2-3 bikes per year?
Thanks!

I'm thinking if I do this full time I could maybe do 3-4 bikes a year without killing myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.