Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 02-08-22, 12:37 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
That was it! The hrTSS counted but no KJ.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-08-22, 04:38 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Was supposed to do 2.5hr z2 today but was short on time so switched my 60min vo2 workout to today. This was my first build workout and first vo2 in months. Was going for 6x3.5min at 110%, first 4 were solid the last two were rough. In hindsight I’d probably be a little better off just doing 4 to start with and starting in the 14-16min range before ramping up to 20mins of work. My Friday workout will be 4x4 and we’ll see how that goes
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 02-09-22, 09:01 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
Same deal today, started out on the TT bike on the trainer. Sore throat no more, and I felt great during the last third of my 30' SST interval. I also had some patellar discomfort yesterday, but knocked that out with my (glute) activation exercise and some stretching + foam rolling. Maybe I will survive this week. Work continues to be tough, but I have a supportive boss and sympathy from other group leaders (senior guys) who are waiting on my team for results.

I just got level 35 in zwift, which means I get the disc wheel now + 808 . Gonna put my IRL road bike on, but stay on the TT bike in Z and go for Fuego Flats reverse, then Z KOM before finding a pace partner to finish things off.

EDIT: Got it, on ~305w or about 4.6 w/kg. Gonna skip Zwift KOM since I'm scared of the 2 minute z5/6 effort and find Bowie Brevet instead

Last edited by TMonk; 02-09-22 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-09-22, 10:13 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Multiday power outage and waiting on Direto belt led to me taking a slightly early rest week. Openers today and I guess FTPish type thing tomorrow.

Also - new belt has made the Direto much quieter and significantly smoother. Installation instructions were easy to follow and the unit maintained factory zero offset.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 02-10-22, 06:07 AM
hubcyclist

so TR has given folks early access to their new FTP estimation thing, which they claim is not just an algorithm based on one's power curve. Anyhow, I tried an estimate and it estimates me to have a 302 ftp (from my current 295 setting), based on recent training quality and such, doesn't seem unreasonable
Old 02-10-22, 08:56 AM
brian44

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
so TR has given folks early access to their new FTP estimation thing, which they claim is not just an algorithm based on one's power curve. Anyhow, I tried an estimate and it estimates me to have a 302 ftp (from my current 295 setting), based on recent training quality and such, doesn't seem unreasonable
My ego would accept an overestimated FTP as well (aren't they all in the context of an actual 1-hour effort?). In your case...the estimated value seems like it would be within a reasonable error range. Training Peaks provides something similar on a file-by-file basis which is either simply a consistent 8 or 20-minute effort multiplied by the appropriate rate to give an estimated FTP for that event. I don't care enough to look into what data, or calculation method, TP uses, but it is fun to look at nonetheless. Does TR update this estimation after every upload, or is this a every other week kind of thing?
Old 02-10-22, 09:53 AM
hubcyclist

For TR they provide you an estimate whenever you have a ramp test scheduled, so you can choose whether to test or avoid the test with the estimation. So it’s not an all the time metric visible
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 02-10-22, 05:22 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Wages of sloth and gluttony. 7 years no trading or racing, , just riding around. Add on 6 weeks completely off the bike post surgery, adds up to a field test 100 watts below my best and coughing up a lung
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 02-10-22, 07:47 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Wages of sloth and gluttony. 7 years no trading or racing, , just riding around. Add on 6 weeks completely off the bike post surgery, adds up to a field test 100 watts below my best and coughing up a lung
I hear ya. I transitioned to mostly running about three years ago, FTP went from 260+ to 225. About two years ago I was diagnosed with cancer (multiple myeloma) and started chemo, power went down to an mFTP of 170 (too weak to do a 20-minute test). Got Covid in August in spite of being fully vaxxed with Moderna, CTL went down to 9. Then I was put on a "medication holiday" and paused the chemo for three months and resumed it at a lower dosage, strength and endurance are coming back really slowly. I'm doing my first threshold interval workout on the bike (already started them running) next week. My coach has them as 3x6', I'm going to do two of them as eight minutes as hard as I can go (CTS threshold test) to see how badly I still suck.

I'm back on the bike just about full time now because I strained my left hamstring and it's taking its time getting back to normal.

Demain, on roule!
Likes For revchuck:
Old 02-11-22, 12:22 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

41:16 up the alpe du zwift yesterday, which is good for a new PR power wise and time wise. A few ant+ dropouts likely cost me 10ish seconds. I actually felt like I could keep going without issue, which was rad. May take a stab at Ventoux at some point and see what happens.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 02-11-22, 04:06 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
Interesting reading this Thread!

I'm in the process of getting back to fitness and lowering my weight following a bad few months since last September. I had the 'flu back then, time off the bike, then just maintained with a strategy to begin training again in January - but had an accident in December, 55km/h sprint crash. 5 weeks off but lucky, all things considered.

This last week (6 days) has been fatiguing for me, rest day tomorrow. I have a Coach who trains with me and use Training Peaks. My week has been 672km, 5318m, 1543TSS but a relatively low 7750kj since I was aiming for mostly Z2. 132CTL, 217ATL. Longest ride of the week was yesterday, 204km, 1700m. I'm also still around 3kg heavier than I was and this year want to take myself down further, to 62kg ultimately as that will be a good racing weight for me. (I'm 68kg now, was 58kg when I raced in the 80's/90's).

As a 53 year old (next month), I'm finding recovery takes longer and I only re-started cycling 3 years ago following 17 years of doing nothing! I'm reasonably pleased with my 'comeback' since then but the drop in fitness recently has been annoying. FTP was around 286 (at 65kg) last September and last week I did 6x15s sprints the best of which had a 1091w 5s sprint, holding 1013w for 10s which I'm ok with so long as I still have that when I go down to 62kg - which I should. I'm not going to do another FTP until I'm back at 65kg.

My first race this season will be in April so plenty of time to get back in shape and my competition is other 50-59 year olds. Interval training proper will resume for the first time this year on Tuesday.
I've lived in Scotland since 2015 and it's a good scene for racing (tons of race participation across the UK), but Vets racing is more scare. Does Portugal have a lot of dedicated Vets racing?
Old 02-11-22, 04:25 PM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Yep
I've lived in Scotland since 2015 and it's a good scene for racing (tons of race participation across the UK), but Vets racing is more scare. Does Portugal have a lot of dedicated Vets racing?

In the North of the Country I believe they do. Here in the Algarve, not particularly. MTB is a far larger scene than road here in the South despite having the World Tour level Volta ao Algarve stage race. So I race MTB where 300 - 400 riders will go off together but the podiums at the end are based upon age categories, so while I am in the same race as all other age groups, I am really only interested in my own and overall, if I can achieve that.

For road, we have Gran Fondo's which are largely the same, everyone races together with separate podiums according to age, so I do those too.

UCI racing league is where the dedicated vet racing can be found but there isn't much down here, I'd have to be prepared to travel the whole country really so I just do the MTB and road Gran Fondo's.

I'm a roadie more than an MTB racer, I would do almost exclusively road events if there were a lot of them but as I say, here it is mostly MTB so if I want competition, I have to do those events. I would much prefer racing only against my own age group but sadly that doesn't exist.

Old 02-11-22, 04:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
For TR they provide you an estimate whenever you have a ramp test scheduled, so you can choose whether to test or avoid the test with the estimation. So it’s not an all the time metric visible
I just dropped a ramp test into my schedule for today just to force it. I got a 2% bump in FTP. For what it's worth, it matches the eFTP that intervals.icu's algorithm gave me. I wonder how similar the algorithms are.
Likes For caloso:
Old 02-11-22, 04:43 PM
hubcyclist

Originally Posted by caloso
I just dropped a ramp test into my schedule for today just to force it. I got a 2% bump in FTP. For what it's worth, it matches the eFTP that intervals.icu's algorithm gave me. I wonder how similar the algorithms are.
not too similar, I don't think. my eftp in intervals is only like 262, so TR somehow knows based on my workout history that my intervals aren't maximal efforts.Who knows what other voodoo they baked in lol
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 02-11-22, 04:46 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
The other night on Zwift (easy short recovery ride squeezed in after an unpleasant ride the day before), I was riding so fast (not really) that I actually took off and started flying.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1293142272
Code:
<!-- Add a placeholder for the Twitch embed -->
<div id="twitch-embed"></div>

<!-- Load the Twitch embed script -->
<script src="https://player.twitch.tv/js/embed/v1.js"></script>

<!-- Create a Twitch.Player object. This will render within the placeholder div -->
<script type="text/javascript">
  new Twitch.Player("twitch-embed", {
    video: "1293142272"
  });
</script>
Likes For himespau:
Old 02-12-22, 06:04 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Outdoor ride! I lost my road going saddle bag, so Umstead gravel. On a popular 15min loop got a 9th all time. That list has some pretty solid local names on it. I lost a top 5 by it being a busy day and needing to rub brake on the way down the one hill.

I could probably get top 3 with an optimized tire setup and the San Remo being worn. The KOM guy runs file treads that I think are one of the fastest off road tires on bicyclerollingresistance website.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-12-22, 07:53 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Just got back from ride #2 of the day, 50 min of MTB up till twilight. It was quite nice. Earlier I rode for ~4 hrs with some buddies, including a group ride.

Lady is out of town, so it means bikes all weekend. Tomorrow I am heading to a race, but just to play coach/director for the men's race teams. Talking strategy before and analysis after etc. I have some supplies from the club including a team EZ-up, snacks/nutrition etc.

It works better for my schedule to take it easy tomorrow and rest up until the lead into VoS next weekend. Looking fwd to it!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 02-12-22, 08:19 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
The other night on Zwift (easy short recovery ride squeezed in after an unpleasant ride the day before), I was riding so fast (not really) that I actually took off and started flying.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1293142272
Code:
<!-- Add a placeholder for the Twitch embed -->
<div id="twitch-embed"></div>

<!-- Load the Twitch embed script -->
<script src="https://player.twitch.tv/js/embed/v1.js"></script>

<!-- Create a Twitch.Player object. This will render within the placeholder div -->
<script type="text/javascript">
new Twitch.Player("twitch-embed", {
video: "1293142272"
});
</script>
Thats hilarious.
Old 02-13-22, 03:46 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I've had this chesty cold thing all week (not covid) that's really affected my training. I had absolutely nothing in the legs last night (could barely spin 100 watts, nevermind attempting the over/unders). I have a 2.5 hour endurance ride today that will be indoors due to the absolute crap weather. My coach has just said to do what I can. He's been ill with something similar and it's really knocked him for six.
hopefully, i am feeling better for my workouts this week.
Old 02-16-22, 09:57 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

You more expert folks have any rationale or favorite %'s for under/over intervals? I'm using some of the Zwift ones that originate from more legitimate sources and athletes. However don't understand that aspect.

One goes at like 95% then 105% at 2:1 ratio which seems very classic. Another two go barely Z4 for the "under" but give you a lot higher "over". One of them gives you like 120% for 30sec another gives you like 150% for 15sec.

For those that go "way" over, what's that doing? Is the classic one better or do those other two also serve a good purpose to tickle up ftp in the progression of workouts?
Old 02-16-22, 10:21 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

I sort of view the more polarized versions as letting you train going over threshy and recovering in race scenarios. I view the one that is more like 95/105 as more for raising your ftp. I do both from time to time, and select based on fatigue, boredom, and what else i've done over the past week.
Old 02-16-22, 11:33 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
select based on fatigue, boredom, and what else i've done over the past week.
Same here so far. That makes sense. I kind of did that just out of not knowing any better and boredom. Straight 3 times at XX min may work, but can be boring as crap also.

I have done all of them in the past few weeks. One of the higher over ones is only 2x10min, so I do that one then do the one with normal und/ov that is 2x9min.

There's also one that's 1x30min under over that I feel is a really good one on there. I like that one as mentally you feel accomplished doing something closer in time duration to a time trial. I do that one and if feeling cheeky will add a single set of one of the other workouts after a little break to recover during the workout.

Otherwise, crap locality is digging pipes down BOTH country roads that connect to the facility. So the lunch TT bike ride on warm days has been put off to have to be weekend or after work driving somewhere else. Annoyed by that.
Old 02-17-22, 04:09 PM
AlexEpsy92

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
Thats hilarious.
Ouch but LOL!
Old 02-23-22, 12:27 PM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
My CTL on TP has moved up nicely since my last post here. From 132 to 155. Fatigue is similar but form is improved too. Heading in the right direction.

I did an endurance ride today after interval yesterday; 1800m in the first 70km so there was a bit of climbing in the ride.

Old 02-23-22, 06:46 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
My CTL on TP has moved up nicely since my last post here. From 132 to 155. Fatigue is similar but form is improved too. Heading in the right direction.

I did an endurance ride today after interval yesterday; 1800m in the first 70km so there was a bit of climbing in the ride.

155 TSS/day has to be like pro level TSS. How many hours per week are you training on average? Over 20? Is this power or HR TSS?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.