Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why is so much clothing dark colored.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why is so much clothing dark colored.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-22, 11:00 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Well, in case you change your mind, the photo alone is absolutely mouth-watering (I think that's water in my mouth, anyway):

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...pider-51184810

Myself, I'm working on a plant-based tarantula substitute. I'll keep you posted.
I had a soft shelled crab sandwich like that once. Not being from the coast, I was expecting something in the form of a patty. Instead, the plate shows up with a BA spider looking thing on a bun. Still had the eyes and legs on it. It was staring at me! I asked the waitress if I was supposed to take the legs and eyes off.
She said something like, "Do whatever you like, Hon."
I drowned it in tartar sauce and went to chewing on it. It was extra crunchy. I've never had one since.
Old 04-25-22, 11:17 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
As for your second comment- you have really often seen motorcycles that ran into a cyclist and then become angry? If someone sees that scenario more than once in their life it would be surprising, yet you often see it?
I have experienced it myself quite a few times, especially in blind corners. I've been avoiding blind corners ever since, merging with the road at higher speeds, taking the regular lane, and moving away from the side when merging. It seemed to have eliminated the problem but now I face new new problem - the higher speeds means I have less time to react for cyclists riding in the opposite side of the road.

I really have to look both ways to merge a road to make sure I don't collide with cyclists riding on the wrong side. We have lots of them here because lots of Qwaalodgian cyclists don't have cars, they don't drive, have zero idea how unsafe it is to ride on the wrong side of the road.

Yes, I have seen a motorcycle cut a cyclist with only inches to spare and it's not on a blind corner. The cyclist got really mad. But there's dark colored foliage lining the side of the road and the cyclist had all-black kit and all-black bike. He blended perfectly against the dark colored foliage.

Last edited by qwaalodge; 04-25-22 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-25-22, 11:25 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Well, in case you change your mind, the photo alone is absolutely mouth-watering (I think that's water in my mouth, anyway):

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...pider-51184810

Myself, I'm working on a plant-based tarantula substitute. I'll keep you posted.
Why are the reviews so terrible?

Anyway, the Amazon natives prefer steam-cooking the tarantulas with rice. It's probably NOT the most palatable way of cooking it so I will not recommend it.
Old 04-25-22, 11:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge

Yes, I have seen a motorcycle cut a cyclist with only inches to spare and it's not on a blind corner. The cyclist got really mad. But there's dark colored foliage lining the side of the road and the cyclist had all-black kit and all-black bike. He blended perfectly against the dark colored foliage.
So you've gone from you've often seen cyclists in black clothes get hit by motorcyclists to you saw it almost happen to one guy once?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-25-22, 11:30 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

So you've gone from you've often seen cyclists in black clothes get hit by motorcyclists to you saw it almost happen to one guy once?
I am trying to see if you're tracking all my posts. Now I'm not sure you actually do.
Old 04-25-22, 03:01 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I am super curious to hear about why you have ZIPP2001 on your jersey, jacket, car tires, and username. Its a frame from a quarter century ago...not really something you see people plaster on clothing and tires. Did you help design the banned frame or something?
I still roll with my last Zipp2001 now set-up as a carbon belt drive single speed. I raced on Zipp's when they first came out and got the nickname Zipp2001 by a bunch of guys in our local cycling club. So, I set-up my you tube channel as Zipp2001 just to have fun, and why not play with the car tires. Here is a photo of the painted carbon belt drive and the regular belt single speed I gave to my youngest son.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 04-25-22, 03:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
I still roll with my last Zipp2001 now set-up as a carbon belt drive single speed. I raced on Zipp's when they first came out and got the nickname Zipp2001 by a bunch of guys in our local cycling club. So, I set-up my you tube channel as Zipp2001 just to have fun, and why not play with the car tires. Here is a photo of the painted carbon belt drive and the regular belt single speed I gave to my youngest son.
Ok, very cool that you still have a couple of them. Thanks for the background.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-25-22, 05:04 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26405 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...this has been an interesting thread. Personally, I wear black for the same reason as Audrey Hepburn--it's visually a slimming choice in fashion. As an important social influencer, I feel I owe it to my fans to come off as less of a fat ass than I actually am. The reason I found all this commentary interesting is that apparently I'm the only one.

This Is Why Black Clothes Are Slimming

YES, IT'S BASED IN ACTUAL SCIENCE.
Old 04-25-22, 05:08 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...this has been an interesting thread. Personally, I wear black for the same reason as Audrey Hepburn--it's visually a slimming choice in fashion. As an important social influencer, I feel I owe it to my fans to come off as less of a fat ass than I actually am. The reason I found all this commentary interesting is that apparently I'm the only one.
Until bright colors of nasty nature triumph over the dark grease stains, I too will wear the slim factor benefit of black clothing.
Old 04-25-22, 06:18 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Good guys wear black.
Old 04-25-22, 10:31 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
The simple answer is found in this little ditty that one of my kids brought home from summer camp:

"Black socks, they never get dirty
The more that you wear them, the blacker they get
Sometimes I think I should wash them
But something keeps telling me no,
Not yet, not yet, not yet, not yet."
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 04-26-22, 02:04 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by tornado60
This may be a dumb question but it seems like a lot of exercise clothing including bicycle gear is dark or black in color. I find this more true for pants. Has anyone heard a reason for this? I would think bright, and/or safety colors would be cooler and, well, safer. Just wondering.

Black won’t show blood so….yeah!
Old 05-01-22, 01:44 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
When I photographed weddings I wore a black shirt and black pants. At the end of 8-12 hours of runing around my clothes still looked OK. Lighter colors would show dirt and sweat and that was not a good look for a pro photographer.

Dark clothing actually is the best at absorbing UV radiation. It is a joke and a lie when companies sell a white shirt and state that it provides SPF 50 protection. Lighter fabric allows more UV light to pass through and refect off the threads and to the wearer's skin.

Dark clothes go longer between washings and that extends their life. A tailor I knew and had bought many suits from advised me to miniize having them dry cleaned but instead to have them pressed when they got wrinkled. The washing of clothes wears them out much faster than most people realize.
Old 05-01-22, 07:20 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
This actually reminds me of my good ol' racing days. The first team I joined had mainly neon orange jerseys. You could pick your team members out of a peloton from 100 meters away. The next year, they chose "bullet silver" which was really a light gray. Couldn't find the team members anywhere. I imagine that also impacts how easily a driver can see them. Fashion is fashion, but I feel like my brightly colored jerseys serve a purpose.
This reminds me of an eyewitness description of the German army marching through Brussels at the beginning of WWI; their light gray uniforms vanished in the distance, making it impossible to count their numbers; they were like a fog. I wish I could find the quote, but you get the idea.
Likes For Korina:
Old 05-01-22, 07:31 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Likes For Korina:
Old 05-01-22, 07:44 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
This reminds me of an eyewitness description of the German army marching through Brussels at the beginning of WWI; their light gray uniforms vanished in the distance, making it impossible to count their numbers; they were like a fog. I wish I could find the quote, but you get the idea.

Richard Harding Davis, The Germans Enter Brussels, 1914:

"The gray of the uniforms worn by both officers and men helped this air of mystery. Only the sharpest eye could detect among the thousands that passed the slightest difference. All moved under a cloak of in visibility. Only after the most numerous and severe tests, with all materials and combinations of color that give forth no color, could this gray have been discovered. That it was selected to clothe and disguise the German when he fights is typical of the German Staff in striving for efficiency to leave nothing to chance, to neglect no detail.

After you have seen this service uniform under conditions entirely opposite you are convinced that for the German soldier it is his strongest weapon. Even the most expert marksman cannot hit the target unless he can see. It is a gray-green, not the blue-gray of our Confederates. It is the gray of the hour just before daybreak, the gray of unpolished steel, of mist among green trees.

I saw it first in the Grand Place in front of the Hotel de Ville. It was impossible to tell if in that noble square there was a regiment or a brigade. You saw only a fog that melted into the stones, blended with the ancient house fronts, that shifted and drifted, but left you nothing at which you could point.

Later, as the army passed below my window, under the trees of the Botanical Park, it merged and was lost against the green leaves. It is no exaggeration to say that at a hundred yards you can see the horses on which the Uhlans ride, but cannot see the men who ride them.

If I appear to overemphasize this disguising uniform it is because of all the details of the German out fit it appealed to me as one of the most remarkable. The other day, when I was with the rear guard of the French Dragoons and Cuirassiers and they threw out pickets, we could distinguish them against the yellow wheat or green gorse at half a mile, while these men passing in the street, when they have reached the next crossing, become merged into the gray of the paving stones and the earth swallows them. In comparison the yellow khaki of our own American Army is about as invisible as the flag of Spain."
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-02-22, 03:10 PM
tornado60

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
There is no right or wrong when it comes to choosing colors for cycling....Wear whatever you want.
This is absolutely true. I apologize if I implied with my post that there was anything wrong with wearing black. I really just wondered if there was a reason I was missing that it seems most prevelant; suggesting people tend to choose it. There have been some great answers here.

To anyone wondering this was never really meant as a what should I do post. My cycling pants and shorts are black because that is my option locally. It was more just a curiosity as to why that is. Now I know.

Last edited by tornado60; 05-02-22 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-03-22, 09:47 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Why so much dark clothing? Ask Darwin.

Old 05-05-22, 06:44 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,645 Times in 827 Posts
My favorite is the guy with asphalt colored hair and neckbeard, who has an asphalt colored bike, and is wearing asphalt colored shoes, socks, shorts, shirt and helmet, burning an 800 lumen headlight on the asphalt path.
Old 05-05-22, 06:53 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Mr Sir
I always go for white helmets keeps me head cool
White also stands out reasonably well. In traffic, your head will often be above the roof lines of vehicles. While white doesn't stand ut as well as high vis, it in combination with natural head movement will enhance visual conspicuity.
Old 05-05-22, 08:52 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
No driver can ever say they didn't see you. That was in response to Zipp's picture in his very bright kit.
Old 05-05-22, 11:41 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
your bikes are freaking rad bro. Super jealous
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 05-05-22, 11:55 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
your bikes are freaking rad bro. Super jealous
Give in to your dreams!

Road Bike Zipp 2001 Vintage Super Bike | eBay
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 05-05-22, 12:34 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
I like black or brown because It hides coffee stains
Old 05-05-22, 01:07 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by starkmojo
I like black or brown because It hides coffee stains
I've always felt like brown would be the best color for the chamois pad in shorts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.