Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I (still) stink

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I (still) stink

Old 04-25-22, 09:17 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I (still) don't understand the problem. Please clarify:

Is the concern that your body/pits stink after a ride and AFTER a shower?? That's not normal.

Or is the concern that your bike clothing stinks after a ride?? That's kinda normal.
Its the bike clothing (mainly the jersey that i notice) stinks after a ride. Both a post ride shower and washing of clothes clears it right up.

Weird thing is while the clothes get stinky, my pits don't.
Old 04-25-22, 09:29 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
Its the bike clothing (mainly the jersey that i notice) stinks after a ride. Both a post ride shower and washing of clothes clears it right up.

Thanks for the clarification.

Normal.
Old 04-25-22, 09:46 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
so you're saying, it's the kit, not you, which is the problem. Everyone will 'stink' to some level after a hard ride.
So, get different kit !
Noting you have multiple bikes - how much kit do you have? There are those who have 1 or 2 shorts, maybe a couple jerseys... That I don;t get...
Who, not homeless, has one shirt one underwear one pants one shoes ????
You don;t have to be Imelda Marcos, but there is an 'in-between' which works; and living with clothes/kit which is not right is not particularly smart ?
Ride On
Yuri
Old 04-25-22, 11:19 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,979 Posts
i can't seem to find many merino jerseys, but lots of base layers.

Maybe i'll give them a try
I've got a couple of Rapha Merino jerseys which are very nice. They are the only jerseys I don't need to wash after every hard ride. Even the Merino baselayers can be worn on consecutive days without stinking like others do.
Old 04-25-22, 12:35 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I rarely wash my Merino jerseys. The synthetic ones grow nasty, smelly bacteria
Old 04-25-22, 04:37 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Eureka!

I went on a long ride (an extra long and hard one actually - twice as long and hard as I usually do). I wanted to make sure I would sweat. And sweat I did. This time I went with a 100% cotton T-shirt, no deodorant, no antiperspirant- nothing. Came back didn't smell at all. I mean all I could smell was the freshness of the washing detergent in the shirt. My pits didn't smell either.

This is consistent with my experience working out with cotton t-shirts

Not sure how I'll use this info, but it is definitely a revelation
Old 04-25-22, 04:37 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Its the bike clothing (mainly the jersey that i notice) stinks after a ride. Both a post ride shower and washing of clothes clears it right up.Weird thing is while the clothes get stinky, my pits don't.
the clothing is toast. toss it. do better at keeping the replacements clean. I had a nice top that had accumulate a base of God only knows what. washed up OK but once I warmed it up the ghosts came out & the walking dead attacked. went thru weeks of treating it & washing it multiple times until it improved. but the labor was ridiculous so it was replaced & now I am more diligent
Old 04-25-22, 04:45 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Symox - just curious: is your washing machine a front loader by chance? If so, are you aware of any mildew issues with the washing machine or have you accidentally left the door closed or left laundry in there overnight before transferring it to the dryer?
Likes For masi61:
Old 04-25-22, 06:22 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by masi61
Symox - just curious: is your washing machine a front loader by chance? If so, are you aware of any mildew issues with the washing machine or have you accidentally left the door closed or left laundry in there overnight before transferring it to the dryer?
Yes it is a front loader and yes it was mildewy. Just cleaned it out now and put a new lint trap. Doing a "sanitary" load of all my jerseys to see if that helps

I don't leave laundry in there overnight, but always close it as it smells
Old 04-25-22, 06:44 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Yes it is a front loader and yes it was mildewy. Just cleaned it out now and put a new lint trap. Doing a "sanitary" load of all my jerseys to see if that helps

I don't leave laundry in there overnight, but always close it as it smells
Front loader doors should always be left open! Technical apparel that has been washed in mildew conditions might be devoid of the smell for a minute but as soon as you start sweating the foul odor comes right back. You may need to run a few of those fizzy sanitizer “bombs” to try to save your washer. I think is called “Afresh” and you can get 3 packs of them on Amazon. They are more expensive when purchased individually at the grocery store.
Old 04-27-22, 04:41 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,979 Posts
I went on a long ride (an extra long and hard one actually - twice as long and hard as I usually do). I wanted to make sure I would sweat. And sweat I did. This time I went with a 100% cotton T-shirt, no deodorant, no antiperspirant- nothing. Came back didn't smell at all. I mean all I could smell was the freshness of the washing detergent in the shirt. My pits didn't smell either.

This is consistent with my experience working out with cotton t-shirts

Not sure how I'll use this info, but it is definitely a revelation
It amazes me how people can even consider working out in a cotton T-shirt. If I did an "hour-of-power" in a cotton T-shirt it would end up weighing about 5 kg in sweat and take the rest of the day (and probably the following one) to dry out, lol. Interesting that it didn't smell though. I think you'll find Merino will work the same way (no smell), but without the water retention of cotton.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-28-22, 07:34 AM
biglmbass

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
i can't seem to find many merino jerseys, but lots of base layers.
Voler makes a long sleeve which IMO is very, very nice. Twin Six makes (likely manucatured by Voler) a long sleeve w'out pockets. La Passione makes a long sleeve & short sleeve version.
Old 04-28-22, 07:50 AM
Symox

Originally Posted by masi61
Front loader doors should always be left open! Technical apparel that has been washed in mildew conditions might be devoid of the smell for a minute but as soon as you start sweating the foul odor comes right back. You may need to run a few of those fizzy sanitizer “bombs” to try to save your washer. I think is called “Afresh” and you can get 3 packs of them on Amazon. They are more expensive when purchased individually at the grocery store.
so I overhaul the washer turns out there is a lot of mildewy crud inside of the agitator in the tub. I ran a sanitary cycle with one of those washer bombs. And I’m leaving the door open it’s smells fine now. Hopefully this is what was going on and I will re-wash the jerseys. Disgusting that my clothes weren’t really getting clean after all
Likes For Symox:
Old 04-28-22, 08:04 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I'll second the importance of leaving the door open and using Affresh or something similar on a front loading washer.
Likes For guachi:
Old 05-03-22, 01:14 PM
Symox

Update - Major progress

So I've been overhauling my front load washer which was had a lot of mold and mildew. Still not done cleaning it but already there is a huge difference in the reduction in the smell after a ride. I barely can detect it unless I really try now

So, thanks to masi61 for suggesting I look at the front loader!
Likes For Symox:
Old 05-03-22, 10:58 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
so I overhaul the washer turns out there is a lot of mildewy crud inside of the agitator in the tub. I ran a sanitary cycle with one of those washer bombs. And I’m leaving the door open it’s smells fine now. Hopefully this is what was going on and I will re-wash the jerseys. Disgusting that my clothes weren’t really getting clean after all
WOW! Learn something new every day!
I've never had a front loader, and the last time I used one was in Uni days, back in the late 60's... LOL!
Seems a lot of those coin laundry places (do they now take credit cards or apple pay thru the iphone ???) have huge front loaders. DO they all have that problem ????
Big Kudo's to Masi61 !
Ride On
Yuri
Whatz the difference in function/performance of a top loader and front loader?
Is it like Alu vs CF? Disc vs Rim? Tubeless vs TPU?
Do ALL Front loaders have this problem?
Why do they get moldy/mildewy ?
OMG !!! There IS/ARE Washing Machine Forums !!! (take a W-machine for a spin... LOL!)

Last edited by cyclezen; 05-03-22 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-04-22, 02:07 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
this is super interesting. we have a top loading machine but I wonder if it would benefit from a similar treatment. care to share what you used? it sounds like you did some physical disassembly as well?
Old 05-04-22, 02:15 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
this is super interesting. we have a top loading machine but I wonder if it would benefit from a similar treatment. care to share what you used? it sounds like you did some physical disassembly as well?
I did several sanitizing loads with hydrogen peroxide, white vinegar and Afresh laundry tablets (separately).

However, I think the most good was taking apart the three agitators in the tub as they were loaded with junk. I cleaned with brushes in soapy water until good as new.

I plan on getting to the backside of the tub as I think there is more but it will likely take a few hours to do that.

I don't know if there is anything particularly different between front loaders and top loaders that make them more susceptible to nastiness. But I learned my lesson
Likes For Symox:
Old 05-04-22, 03:54 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
So I've been overhauling my front load washer which was had a lot of mold and mildew. Still not done cleaning it but already there is a huge difference in the reduction in the smell after a ride. I barely can detect it unless I really try now

So, thanks to masi61 for suggesting I look at the front loader!
Maybe you'll get to change the title of the thread soon!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-05-22, 01:05 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
Three suggestions:
Only use Atsko Sport Wash detergent.
Try using no deodorant or similar products for 2 weeks. None. Healthy skin bacteria help. Killing them is not good. They're supposed to be there.
Switch to Selsun Blue shampoo and wash your whole body with it, no soap, just the shampoo.
We've been using the same top-loader for decades. Doesn't seem to have issues. Maybe it's the Atsko.
Old 05-12-22, 04:17 PM
Symox

fyi, clothes are fine now! Gonna do a deep clean on the washing machine to get every last bit of crud out of it