Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone do a brushed steel frame?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone do a brushed steel frame?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-22, 05:58 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Okay, that explains it. The bike I am thing of (and now I can go back to thinking it was a Colnago) had a more ethereal look going, in the frame, the graphics and the components. It kind of looked like it was in the middle of being beamed up to the Enterprise. It was all pretty gray-scale. It looked cool, though.
Old 06-15-22, 12:44 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
I did two brushed steel bikes: Colnago first (no treatment whatsoever to the tubing afterwards), then the Casati followed a few years later (matte clearcoat - just your basic Krylon stuff - over decals). The Colnago's not been ridden, and stored in a controlled environment, so the finish is holding up fine with just small speckles of surface rust here and there. The Casati's been well-used since being built and has suffered some rust blooming as a result of sweat staining the frame repeatedly during rides. It's not bad - I mean, it seems to add a little something and it's too minor to be structural. The key is to get a good, even look when brushing the steel. I used varying grades of Scotchbrite pads.

Colnago - bare metal, outfitted with a media-blasted NR gruppo:

Casati - matte clear-coat with decals:

OP, I see you've decided to drop your original idea, but if painting is on the cards, see what you can come up with before you finally paint - you might like what you see and give a clearcoat a go. Bare metal is surely a different look, and bound to elicit interest.

DD
Old 06-15-22, 10:36 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude

DD
That's the one I was thinking of. The frame is shiner than I remember, but the components are exactly as I remember. I repeat: cool look.
Old 06-15-22, 11:31 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3494 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
No amount of clear coat paint will protect the steel from eventually rusting.
Paint is organic, thus will eventually let in a certain amount of just ambient moisture.
So I guess the same can be said about any painted steel frame?
Old 06-15-22, 12:24 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 400 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
Not sure if this is what you mean, but I did this with a red 3M scotch brite drill disc. It's been like this for almost a year and hasn't rusted at all.
OT, but if I had a frame cleaned up to THAT level, I'd be sorely tempted to look into copper plating. Maybe fitted with all black components?

(of course, then condemned to endless copper polishing...)

Old 06-15-22, 12:32 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
After seeing your results I will probably give it a go. Now to find a frame.
I found this site and really like the look of the Colnago. https://www.bespokecycling.com/build...go-c64-in-busl

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I did two brushed steel bikes: Colnago first (no treatment whatsoever to the tubing afterwards), then the Casati followed a few years later (matte clearcoat - just your basic Krylon stuff - over decals). The Colnago's not been ridden, and stored in a controlled environment, so the finish is holding up fine with just small speckles of surface rust here and there. The Casati's been well-used since being built and has suffered some rust blooming as a result of sweat staining the frame repeatedly during rides. It's not bad - I mean, it seems to add a little something and it's too minor to be structural. The key is to get a good, even look when brushing the steel. I used varying grades of Scotchbrite pads.

Casati - matte clear-coat with decals:

OP, I see you've decided to drop your original idea, but if painting is on the cards, see what you can come up with before you finally paint - you might like what you see and give a clearcoat a go. Bare metal is surely a different look, and bound to elicit interest.

DD

Last edited by rjhammett; 06-15-22 at 12:42 PM.
Likes For rjhammett:
Old 06-15-22, 12:33 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
So I guess the same can be said about any painted steel frame?
Not really,

fully painted frames should start with an acid etch primer which seals better than clear coat or paint

so big difference between acid etch primer, primer, multiple coasts of color and then clear vs just clear

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-20-22, 05:59 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 329 Posts
Here is the old brushed steel Schwinn in the Phoenix LBS. The staff does not know anything about how it is finished.

Likes For albrt: