Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Looking for an Alternative freehub

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-17-22, 03:33 AM
Chapa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear community,

I have a rear wheel with a powerway R13 hub for Shimano 8-11 Speeds, I am looking for changing the freehub and would like to know if anyone know a freehub that is compatible.
The one coming with the wheel is not the best I think, looking for one with higher quality.

Thank you
Old 06-17-22, 08:36 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
Personally, if the hub is performing fine for now I would just keep it until it doesn't. What are your concerns about the R13?
Old 06-17-22, 09:15 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 956 Posts
I’ve had good luck dripping Finish Line lube into freehubs and freewheels. It makes a rough spinning and sounding freehub much smoother spinning and sounding. Just look for parting line where the inside part rotates against the outside part and drip or spray lubricant in there.
Old 06-17-22, 09:23 AM
Chapa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Personally, if the hub is performing fine for now I would just keep it until it doesn't. What are your concerns about the R13?
That is the problem, it is not performing well, here are marks and it produces some sounds when applying considerable force.
Old 06-17-22, 09:30 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
amazon claims this will fit https://www.amazon.com/HULKWHEELS-Ca...8-1&th=1&psc=1

seems reviews on powerway r13 vary some good lot bad.... maybe consider a wheel with better hub overall?

good luck

Old 06-17-22, 09:51 AM
Chapa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you,

Yes, there are actually several options but all of them coming from China. I would like to know if someone knows another freehub from an alternative brand that might be compatible with the powerway R13.
I found a DT Swiss that might work but reviews are not good .
Old 06-17-22, 09:54 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
https://www.extralite.com/Products/CyberRear%20SP.htm
Straight pull spokes & you'll have to assemble it your self.

This is another option if you'd rather have it come assembled: https://www.extralite.com/Products/CyberRear%20SL2.htm
In either case, you now have the opportunity to drop a bunch of weight, & have a fully rebuildable hub with parts readily available & outfit with any bearings you desire.

If it were me & I had no plans to do the non-drive-side radial lacing, the above hubs require, I'd seriously consider Berd do the wheel build with Berd Spokes at ~$250 to save 1-200 grams/wheel.

I know this isn't what you asked, but considering the prices of more commonly known light/quality hub makers, like DT, White Industries, Chris King, Tune, etc...Should a replacement freehub body not avail, fear not! There other options for those with which only ceramic bearings will do.

Last edited by base2; 06-17-22 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-17-22, 10:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
If the freehub that came with the hub is crappy so is the hub too more than likely. So consider a entire hub. Shimano, DT-Swiss or many other well known to the cycling community brands. An entire wheel or wheelset already built in one of those brands also might be the way to go.
Old 06-17-22, 10:41 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
In seeing a picture, I revise my above post:

Can you read the number embossed on the bearing seal? If so, the bearings are a generic standard bearing that can be simply pressed out/in by even the most rudimentary tools. A hammer & a screwdriver. ( ) Any bike shop can order the bearings & replace them for a nominal fee.

The pawls & spring shown in the Amazon link squirtdad posted are generic Novatek through & through. Your LBS probably has some already installed on a hub in a used parts box in the back room somewhere.

If the pawls simply don't engage or engage consistently; disassemble the pawls, spring, grab a box of q-tips & remove all the old gummy grease, throughout, then lightly re-apply some fresh marine grease to all contact surfaces. This ought to be considered basic annual maintenance for hubs of this type.

Importantly, the Amazon link lists other hubs the part can be used on. You ought search those as well.
Old 06-17-22, 11:13 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Chapa
Thank you,

Yes, there are actually several options but all of them coming from China. I would like to know if someone knows another freehub from an alternative brand that might be compatible with the powerway R13.
I found a DT Swiss that might work but reviews are not good .
the amazon one I mentioned is from Taiwan for what its worth