Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Noob here....Problem with gear/pedal resistance

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-15, 08:21 AM
stultiloquy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Like the title states, I'm something of a noobie when it comes to bike tech - I've been riding for years and years, but I'm not exactly well-versed on the technical side of things.

Anyway, I've been having a problem with my bike.
Essentially, I'm getting no resistance to my pedaling on any of my gears but my 3 highest; on any gear lower than that I can pedal at a breakneck pace and make no forward progress at all unless I'm going downhill.

I can't cite a bike name or model number, as my bike was built piecemeal by Performance Bike way back around 2000.
Though the labels and decals are pretty much worn away, I know it has Shimano derailleurs front-and-back, with 7 gears in the back and 3 up front.

That issue aside, the bike as a whole is brilliant; everything works fine, no gear slippage, grinding, catching or anything like that at all - it shifts smoothly and effortlessly.
Maybe I'm just in such awesome shape the top 3 gears are the only ones that a capable of giving me resistance, lol. /wishful thinking

I can try to provide more info if needed, what I've described here is the best I can manage with my limited bike knowledge.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-18-15, 08:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
hard to guess , without seeing it perform, as you described, in person..

a walk in to a bike shop is highly recommended .
Old 09-18-15, 08:27 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Have you taken it to a mechanic or bike shop?

It almost sounds like the freehub has been stripped on the low end, but that's almost impossible and pure speculation.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-18-15, 08:35 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Well, there could be failures of only how the claimed cogs are attached to the hub but not the other cogs so somehow when the chain is on only them will they spin freely and not be connected to the rest of the wheel. But I doubt that's going on.

Instead I suspect that the OP isn't well trained to spin his legs around at anything but fairly slow cadences. Many people's nervous and muscular systems don't have the "training" to fire at more then 50 times a minute. I see strong and enthusiastic riders all the time riding in their highest gear at slow leg speeds. There is a difference between strength and speed. Good racers train their leg speed as well as their strength.

So, OP, how fast can you spin your legs? Andy.
Old 09-18-15, 08:45 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by stultiloquy

Essentially, I'm getting no resistance to my pedaling on any of my gears but my 3 highest; on any gear lower than that I can pedal at a breakneck pace and make no forward progress at all unless I'm going downhill.
If your bike is in one of these "no resistance" gears, I assume that means that if you are not moving, when you start pedaling, the bicycle does not move at all ?? Same as if you are pedaling backwards ??

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-16-22, 11:51 PM
Nour

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
If your bike is in one of these "no resistance" gears, I assume that means that if you are not moving, when you start pedaling, the bicycle does not move at all ?? Same as if you are pedaling backwards ??
That is what im experiencing for me too, i pedal, no resistance and the bike isn't moving, its like the chain fell off feeling, but the chain is on the cogs, 21 speeds is what i have, and i just bought the bike yesterday i don't know what happened. I pedal but there is 0 resistance and bike isn't moving like if im pedaling backwards
Old 06-17-22, 12:27 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by stultiloquy
Like the title states, I'm something of a noobie when it comes to bike tech - I've been riding for years and years, but I'm not exactly well-versed on the technical side of things.

I can't cite a bike name or model number, as my bike was built piecemeal by Performance Bike way back around 2000.
Though the labels and decals are pretty much worn away, I know it has Shimano derailleurs front-and-back, with 7 gears in the back and 3 up front.

That issue aside, the bike as a whole is brilliant; everything works fine, no gear slippage, grinding, catching or anything like that at all - it shifts smoothly and effortlessly.
Maybe I'm just in such awesome shape the top 3 gears are the only ones that a capable of giving me resistance, lol. /wishful thinking

I can try to provide more info if needed, what I've described here is the best I can manage with my limited bike knowledge.

Any help is appreciated.
OP, So your three highest gears are the only ones that work? Do you mean that your front DER is on the largest chain ring and your rear is on one of the three smallest?

or are you saying it doesn't matter what front chain ring you are on but the problem is with the 4 largest on the rear.

You also don't say what type of bike this is, mountain or road, not that it would make a big difference.

Ratio of cogs on the cranks to the cassette or freewheel gears could definitely be a factor, especially if the bike was built for one purpose and now you are using it for another.
Can you provide some details on what you have?
Has anything recently been changed or replaced?

Old 06-17-22, 12:29 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by Nour
That is what im experiencing for me too, i pedal, no resistance and the bike isn't moving, its like the chain fell off feeling, but the chain is on the cogs, 21 speeds is what i have, and i just bought the bike yesterday i don't know what happened. I pedal but there is 0 resistance and bike isn't moving like if im pedaling backwards
On all gears? Sounds like you freewheel or freehub is not engaging.

New Bike, - bring it back to the shop where you purchased it.

Old 06-17-22, 07:40 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
OP, So your three highest gears are the only ones that work? Do you mean that your front DER is on the largest chain ring and your rear is on one of the three smallest?

or are you saying it doesn't matter what front chain ring you are on but the problem is with the 4 largest on the rear.

You also don't say what type of bike this is, mountain or road, not that it would make a big difference.

Ratio of cogs on the cranks to the cassette or freewheel gears could definitely be a factor, especially if the bike was built for one purpose and now you are using it for another.
Can you provide some details on what you have?
Has anything recently been changed or replaced?
The OP only posted here once - 7 years ago
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 06-17-22, 08:17 AM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Maybe he's still pedaling back to his car...
Old 06-17-22, 11:17 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,819 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by Nour
zombie thread please don't wake the zombies, not all of us have finished our zombie apocalypse bike builds

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-18-22, 01:55 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by alcjphil
The OP only posted here once - 7 years ago
That's what I get for reading so early in the am.....