Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Endurance/All Road Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-21, 11:27 AM
clichty

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RCS, Serotta Ti, Felt F55, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 12 Posts

Now that I'm finally past the point of having super young kids and starting/stopping riding over the last 6 years, it is now time to upgrade my 12 year old Felt. I have a healthy budget but doesn't seem like I need to spend $10k to get what I want (under $8k lots of options). I don't need the bike ASAP but would like a new one prior to next summer at a minimum.

Must haves:

Full Carbon Frame and pretty much everything else (would consider Ti)

Electronic Shifting (Force or Ultegra Di2, Red/DA not necessary)

Disc Brakes

Ability to mostly ride on the road/paths but have some packed dirt/gravel/rough road capability (ie 28-30 tires)

17ish lbs or less. Still would like to be under 18 lbs

Used from TPC is just fine, I love buying used as it gets all the dings and blemishes at a discount vs me doing it at some point anyway

I'm 6-0 with a 33ish inseam so right at a 56/58 depending on brand.

Looking for any opinions on the below Endurance/All Road-ish bikes or any other opinions. Guessing any one of these would completely work but I'm assuming I'm not the first person to compare these. Guessing it boils down to price more than anything.

Canyon Endurace CF SLX 8.0 eTap: Seems like for $6k its pretty loaded, especially with the built in power meter. Also it can ship today

Cervelo Caledonia 5: $6.5-$7 for di2/SRAM feels decent.

S-Works Roubaix: Can find used ones on Pro's Closet for $8k. There was one for $6.5k I should have snatched up but I was too slow. Wouldn't consider a new one at $10k but used seems doable. Still pricey at $8k from TPC.

Trek Domane SL/SLR 6 and Up. Lots of options here, some of the lower tiers feel a bit heavy.

Allied All Road. Love the functionality of this but not sure I need it to be this gravel intense? Adding any customization and it gets pretty expensive.

Thanks all
Old 05-26-21, 11:47 AM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
The hardest part of this is going to be getting the group set.

I bought a T-Lab X3, but sounds like you might be more oriented to an R3-Omni (Titanium)
Old 05-26-21, 12:12 PM
1Lieutenant

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
Could get a Lynskey R300 titanium for under 6K with SRAM Force etap.
Likes For 1Lieutenant:
Old 05-26-21, 12:20 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Lieutenant
Could get a Lynskey R300 titanium for under 6K with SRAM Force etap.
Like this brand new one from The Pro's Closet?

Lynskey R300 Disc Red eTap AXS Road Bike - Large | The Pro's Closet (theproscloset.com)

But this one has non-groupset brakes.
Old 05-26-21, 12:21 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
(Don't shoot the messenger)

Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1 (Ultegra DI2) - can handle up to 35mm tires and it's an endurance beast!

Electronic groupset, CF rims & dual sided PM for 6000$ is a steal.
Old 05-26-21, 12:26 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3410 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
If you can find one to buy, the Scott Addict SE Disc ticks off many of your requirements:
  • full carbon
  • electronic shifting (SRAM Force AXS)
  • disc brakes
  • 30mm tires stock
  • 18.19 lbs (easy to reduce that with new wheelset)

Old 05-26-21, 12:35 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
(Don't shoot the messenger)

Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1 (Ultegra DI2) - can handle up to 35mm tires and it's an endurance beast!

Electronic groupset, CF rims & dual sided PM for 6000$ is a steal.
+1
I ride a Defy Pro myself, but with the simple 105 groupset (2019 Adv Pro 2). It's a nice bike, very comfortable and has tons of tyre clearance. I run 32 mm tyres (Pirelli Cinturato Velo tubeless) for 100 mile mixed road rides. No trouble mixing it with race bikes over that distance, especially if the roads are crappy. It was great value in the sales at the end of 2019.

But I do still lust after a Cervelo Caledonia 5! That would probably be my pick if I was looking for something a little more special.
Old 05-26-21, 12:40 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I have nothing to add except congrats on the budget. You really can't go wrong. Especially since you can wait a bit, what about an IF? Independent Fabrication - Custom Bicycles. Handmade in the USA. - Gravel Royale - Titanium --you'd get custom and drool factor. Why not?
Old 05-26-21, 01:50 PM
clichty

Originally Posted by terrymorse
If you can find one to buy, the Scott Addict SE Disc ticks off many of your requirements:
  • full carbon
  • electronic shifting (SRAM Force AXS)
  • disc brakes
  • 30mm tires stock
  • 18.19 lbs (easy to reduce that with new wheelset)
Is it the overall weight (like you said, wheels) that makes this bike so cheap? Looks like some more alloy bits here and there but seems cheap relative to others.
Old 05-26-21, 01:52 PM
clichty

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Like this brand new one from The Pro's Closet?

Lynskey R300 Disc Red eTap AXS Road Bike - Large | The Pro's Closet (theproscloset.com)

But this one has non-groupset brakes.
I did look at this one too and keep coming back to it. I'm just not in love with the external cable routing here. Would much prefer internal just from a cleanliness and TBH I don't want to compromise much as hopefully this is the last road bike I have to buy for another decade. But this bike does have Full Red and for $5k agree its tough to compete with that.
Old 05-26-21, 02:18 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by clichty
I did look at this one too and keep coming back to it. I'm just not in love with the external cable routing here. Would much prefer internal just from a cleanliness and TBH I don't want to compromise much as hopefully this is the last road bike I have to buy for another decade. But this bike does have Full Red and for $5k agree its tough to compete with that.
I am not really familiar with titanium bikes but external cable routing seem to be much more common on titanium frames than carbon fiber frames.
Old 05-26-21, 03:09 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3410 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Is it the overall weight (like you said, wheels) that makes this bike so cheap? Looks like some more alloy bits here and there but seems cheap relative to others.
The wheel set is listed at 1720 grams.

A carbon wheel set can easily reduce that by 300+ grams.

That’s the biggest weight-saving upgrade.

Syncros is Scott’s in-house component brand. It looks like they’re saving money with cheaper Syncros bars, stem, seatpost, and saddle.

Old 05-26-21, 03:49 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
If you like that one and internal cable routing you should look at their Helix Pro; https://lynskeyperformance.com/helix...isc-road-bike/
I feel like Lynskey would be very reasonable to work with for whatever additions/changes you'd want to make.
Old 05-26-21, 06:06 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
That is an incredible budget.

You might consider going to your favorite LBS and ask them to build you up what you want - assuming they can get the parts. You might consider custom wheels built up by Pro Wheel Builder too. tubeless 32-36 hole rim butted spokes 3 cross lacing should be able to handle just about any terrain.

Last edited by Symox; 05-26-21 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-27-21, 05:48 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
I bought a Argon 18 Krypton Pro last summer. In size small, it was around 17 lbs. all carbon, hidden cables, decent HED wheels. takes up to 32 mm tires and has ultegra DI2. Last summer it was about $7500. I have been super happy with it, The only thing I didn't care for was the saddle, too flat for my undercarriage!
Argon 18 Krypton Pro

Argon 18 Krypton Pro review (2020)

wrench science

Different Wheels, saddle, color, and groupset than the 2020 model that I bought. not sure if the SRAM group is wireless, but my guess is yes. Also $500 less for 2020. definitely more towards the endurance end of the spectrum, but can handle light gravel easily. this is the bike that Astna used in 2019 for the cobbled classics,

My bike as received

Last edited by mgopack42; 05-27-21 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-27-21, 06:47 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by mgopack42
I bought a Argon 18 Krypton Pro last summer.

My bike as received
The Krypton Pro would definitely make my shortlist for a fast endurance bike. It has some really nice details like the variable stack headtube inserts. Ticks all the key boxes for me as a GF bike. I would like to compare it against my Defy and the Caledonia 5 at some point.
Old 05-27-21, 07:22 AM
clichty

I bought a Argon 18 Krypton Pro last summer. In size small, it was around 17 lbs. all carbon, hidden cables, decent HED wheels. takes up to 32 mm tires and has ultegra DI2. Last summer it was about $7500. I have been super happy with it, The only thing I didn't care for was the saddle, too flat for my undercarriage!
Argon 18 Krypton Pro

wrench science

Different Wheels, saddle, color, and groupset than the 2020 model that I bought. not sure if the SRAM group is wireless, but my guess is yes. Also $500 less for 2020. definitely more towards the endurance end of the spectrum, but can handle light gravel easily. this is the bike that Astna used in 2019 for the cobbled classics,

My bike as received
This is a slick looking bike. Nice and clean plus I love the way the cables are completely hidden. That’s not a must have for me but I do prefer that super clean cockpit.
Old 05-27-21, 08:30 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

This is a slick looking bike. Nice and clean plus I love the way the cables are completely hidden. That’s not a must have for me but I do prefer that super clean cockpit.
Yeah, the cock pit is nice, and was not really a must have for me.... but I wanted it if I could get it. Just dont try to pack your bike for air travel, it was a nightmare. I got it packed, but it was tight, (this is a small) and I was truly afraid that TSA would completely HOSE my bike and case in the inspection phase. I wound up taking it out of my bike box, and calling West Maui Cycles and renting a Roubaix instead of flying it to Maui!
Old 05-27-21, 09:57 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Argon 18 Krypton Pro

wrench science

My bike as received
That is a sweet, sweet bike. The only bike I have seen that does not have straight forks; does that make it more comfortable if you ride through a recessed port on the road?

Wrench Science seems to be one of the few places that carry it on the West Coast; is that where you got it from?
Old 05-27-21, 10:23 AM
mgopack42 

Wrench Science: yes. I think R&A also carries Argon 18 (in Walnut Creek CA). the forks? well I can't say too much for or against them. the reviews said the bike was more comfortable etc., but I guess I am pretty much a lout when it comes to these fine distinctions. I have been riding on the stock tires, which are Challenge Paris - Roubaix tires in 27 mm width which are fantastic tires. they ride and handle so much better than the Conti 4 seasons, 25 mm, I had been using as a compromise between durability and performance on my previous bike. What I can say is this: This bike rides better than my precious bike, a 2012 Pinarello FP Quatro. better descender, better handling, lighter, more responsive. the Pinarello was MUCH prettier though! this bike also has a shorter reach, and similar stack to the Pinarello, so it is better suited to my size and riding style.
I will say that I was impressed that they didn't compromise on the kind of stuff most stock bikes compromise on... seat post, stem, bars, wheels, saddle, etc. to hit a price point, all CF components, in the high mid price point standard.
I am a fan if you are in the market for a $7000 bike! The final PLUS for me is that you do not see this bike everywhere you turn (i.e. Specialized, Giant, Trek.).

EDIT. BTW, it took me about 2 months to get this bike from the time i decided to picked it up, and that was before things got really bad.. I am sure no one has them in stock.. the OP did say he was willing to wait, or I wouldn't have piped in here.

Last edited by mgopack42; 05-27-21 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-27-21, 10:59 AM
clichty

Wrench Science: yes. I think R&A also carries Argon 18 (in Walnut Creek CA). the forks? well I can't say too much for or against them. the reviews said the bike was more comfortable etc., but I guess I am pretty much a lout when it comes to these fine distinctions. I have been riding on the stock tires, which are Challenge Paris - Roubaix tires in 27 mm width which are fantastic tires. they ride and handle so much better than the Conti 4 seasons, 25 mm, I had been using as a compromise between durability and performance on my previous bike. What I can say is this: This bike rides better than my precious bike, a 2012 Pinarello FP Quatro. better descender, better handling, lighter, more responsive. the Pinarello was MUCH prettier though! this bike also has a shorter reach, and similar stack to the Pinarello, so it is better suited to my size and riding style.
I will say that I was impressed that they didn't compromise on the kind of stuff most stock bikes compromise on... seat post, stem, bars, wheels, saddle, etc. to hit a price point, all CF components, in the high mid price point standard.
I am a fan if you are in the market for a $7000 bike! The final PLUS for me is that you do not see this bike everywhere you turn (i.e. Specialized, Giant, Trek.).

EDIT. BTW, it took me about 2 months to get this bike from the time i decided to picked it up, and that was before things got really bad.. I am sure no one has them in stock.. the OP did say he was willing to wait, or I wouldn't have piped in here.
Yes I'm not in a huge rush to get a bike but trying to feel out the good options (this thread has 100% met/exceeded expectations about endurance bikes in this $ range) in case a deal or something pops up. I do agree that I enjoy having a bike that is not as common (my first real bike was a custom gold painted Klein and no one has those bikes) so hearing about some different brands has been super helpful. My youngest is still 15 months so I have limited ability to disappear for long weekend rides but I'm slowly increasing the wife's tolerance for longer rides.
Old 05-27-21, 11:37 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
I am pleased with the Bianchi Infinito CV Disc. Excellent ride, well built. Di2 $6500.
Old 05-28-21, 03:21 AM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
Canyon Endurace CF SLX 8.0 eTap: Seems like for $6k its pretty loaded, especially with the built in power meter. Also it can ship today

Cervelo Caledonia 5: $6.5-$7 for di2/SRAM feels decent.

S-Works Roubaix: Can find used ones on Pro's Closet for $8k. There was one for $6.5k I should have snatched up but I was too slow. Wouldn't consider a new one at $10k but used seems doable. Still pricey at $8k from TPC.

Trek Domane SL/SLR 6 and Up. Lots of options here, some of the lower tiers feel a bit heavy.

Allied All Road. Love the functionality of this but not sure I need it to be this gravel intense? Adding any customization and it gets pretty expensive.
Of the options you've listed, the Domane and Roubaix have the highest stack, so that's something to consider if you'd prefer a more relaxed upright position. Not hugely so, but 10-20mm can/does make quite a difference. Unlike the other bikes, they also have "suspension": the Roubaix has the FutureShock and low mounted Pave seatpost designed to flex and the Domane has IsoSpeed front and rear). I have both bikes and their respective suspensions works well to dampen road buzz, but I much prefer the feel of the FutureShock 2.0 and Pave seatpost over the IsoSpeed. The Roubaix frame also feels way more responsive to me, and its a noticeably lighter bike. Both great bikes though.
Likes For Kabuto:
Old 05-28-21, 03:38 AM
PeteHski

Why limit yourself to the S-Works version? The Roubaix Pro build is plenty high enough spec and more in-line with the rest of your shortlist. I do quite like the look of the Roubaix, although I have never ridden one. I did a 100 mile GF event last weekend on some pretty rough roads and I spoke to a guy riding a new Roubaix who seemed very happy with it. it's an interesting option. My only concern would be potential maintenance of the additional suspension - although maybe that's not an issue.
Old 05-28-21, 04:15 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
With a budget as healthy as yours, why in the world settle for off the shelf frames? Get a custom titanium frame and do it right, unless of course the brand name has significant importance to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.