Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is this seatpost damaged?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-22-22, 02:23 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

I have been using carbon paste and don't *think* I've ever overtightened it. However, just had a fitting done where the seatpost was raised significantly and noticed this raised "pinch" section (close to the seat collar). Not looking for a reason to spend money, so if its ok I can live with it.

Old 06-22-22, 04:02 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I'm no CF expert, but that don't look so good.
Old 06-22-22, 04:54 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
You spent money on a bike fitting, but you do not want to spend money to replace an obviously damaged CF seat post. No one can tell you if that is safe from looking at a picture, IMO. Make your decisions and live with them, for better or worse.
Old 06-22-22, 07:37 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Originally Posted by delbiker1
You spent money on a bike fitting, but you do not want to spend money to replace an obviously damaged CF seat post. No one can tell you if that is safe from looking at a picture, IMO. Make your decisions and live with them, for better or worse.
Actually the fitting was free

Don't worry though, I decided to order an aluminum seat post to not take a chance

I'll probably cut up the carbon one to inspect and send pictures
Old 06-22-22, 07:41 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,462 Times in 1,012 Posts
Yes, it is damaged. The question is how deep. I am no CF expert either, but this looks like paint or surface (i.e., epoxy resin) damage caused by the slot or notch at the rear of the seat tube; they even have the same shape. What happens if you press on the raised, wrinkled portion? Is it solid or crinkly?
Old 06-22-22, 07:45 PM
Symox

I agree its caused by the slot

It is solid, not crinkly

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Yes, it is damaged. The question is how deep. I am no CF expert either, but this looks like paint or surface (i.e., epoxy resin) damage caused by the slot or notch at the rear of the seat tube; they even have the same shape. What happens if you press on the raised, wrinkled portion? Is it solid or crinkly?
Old 06-22-22, 07:54 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Symox
It is solid, not crinkly
Then it looks like you had tightened your seat post clamp hard enough for the slot to create an impression on the surface of the seat post over time. It is hard to tell how deep the damage goes unless you are willing to scrape / chip off some surface paint.
Old 06-22-22, 08:09 PM
Symox

That's possible. Its also possible that since I used one of those bikepacking seabags that hangs 14lbs off the back of the seat. I suspect that might have been a mistake.

Then it looks like you had tightened your seat post clamp hard enough for the slot to create an impression on the surface of the seat post over time. It is hard to tell how deep the damage goes unless you are willing to scrape / chip off some surface paint.
Old 06-22-22, 08:19 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

That's possible. Its also possible that since I used one of those bikepacking seabags that hangs 14lbs off the back of the seat. I suspect that might have been a mistake.
On one hand, a 14 lbs. seat bag sounds really heavy; what do you put in there!? But on the other hand, what if you were 14 lbs. heavier and do not own a seat bag?

Still think that the culprit is overtightening because the crinkly raised portion matches the slot at the top rear of the seat tube.
Old 06-22-22, 08:22 PM
Symox

14 lbs was tent, clothes, food and some other stuff for camping. But it sticks out quite a bit so there is a certain amount of torque and side to side "wag"

My theory is the flex of the seat post coupled with the carbon paste and possibly overtightening caused the raised section.

On one hand, a 14 lbs. seat bag sounds really heavy; what do you put in there!? But on the other hand, what if you were 14 lbs. heavier and do not own a seat bag?

Still think that the culprit is overtightening because the crinkly raised portion matches the slot at the top rear of the seat tube.
Old 06-22-22, 11:17 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I have been using carbon paste and don't *think* I've ever overtightened it. However, just had a fitting done where the seatpost was raised significantly and noticed this raised "pinch" section (close to the seat collar). Not looking for a reason to spend money, so if its ok I can live with it.

They're your nuts.....
Likes For Litespud:
Old 06-23-22, 02:54 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Actually the fitting was free

Don't worry though, I decided to order an aluminum seat post to not take a chance

IMO, good for you. I was not trying to be critical, just not worth chancing a failure while riding.
Old 06-23-22, 10:10 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

If you are actually going to cut the post, why not just scrape, chip, or lightly sand off just the surface at the raised, crinkled spot to see how deep the damage goes?

By the way, that is quite a distance to adjust the seat post height on an existing bike you have been riding.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-23-22, 11:22 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20805 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
I had some CF bars that were left with the indentation from the stem/plate. It didn't look like that, though - it seemed to be limited to the clear coat and there were no cracks or distinct edges of the raised portions, which would have concerned me a little more.
Old 06-23-22, 11:34 AM
Symox

I *think* it was just superficial, but better safe than sorry. I tried scraping first but couldn't tell so I just cut it up. Here are the pics. I have a new appreciation for the strength of carbon fiber after cutting it btw. The stuff is pretty sturdy!

Likes For Symox:
Old 06-23-22, 11:38 AM
Symox

I agree. He moved it forward a similar amount. Gonna take some time to get used to but what the fitter explained to me made a lot of sense (I was locking my arms in the old position)

By the way, that is quite a distance to adjust the seat post height on an existing bike you have been riding.
Old 06-23-22, 01:25 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I agree. He moved it forward a similar amount. Gonna take some time to get used to but what the fitter explained to me made a lot of sense (I was locking my arms in the old position)
Did your fitter do the whole see if you can, without touching your handlebar, temporarily balance your riding position on your saddle to determine its fore/after position?

Old 06-23-22, 05:23 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I *think* it was just superficial, but better safe than sorry. I tried scraping first but couldn't tell so I just cut it up. Here are the pics. I have a new appreciation for the strength of carbon fiber after cutting it btw. The stuff is pretty sturdy!
I see your arrows, but none of them point to the circled area?
Old 06-23-22, 05:38 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20805 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Look at the teeth marks. What you've circled is the last bit that didn't get sawn through.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-23-22, 05:39 PM
Symox

No, that was the very last part of my sawing. I didn't make it all the way through cleanly so there was this bit sticking out

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Likes For Symox:
Old 06-24-22, 01:57 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
I see you've already cut it up but I was going to say I've ridden carbon posts with worse surface damage than that and they've held up fine. As you can see, they are pretty robustly built, but of course everyone's risk tolerance is different.
Likes For tFUnK: