Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 09-02-17, 02:33 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
I've been pretty critical of Raleigh in the 70s, so I figured I'd give em credit where it's due and praise their decision to use Pletscher ESGE side stands on their deluxe models. Raleigh kickstands were never very stable. The aluminum Sir Walter stands were the worst offenders. They are particularly tippy. I suppose I have them to thank for a lot of the bent shifters I've had fun fixing, but I would never want one on my bike. So even for older Sports bikes, I swap them out for ESGEs original or not. The best ones for Sports frames are like this one with the long sides that come down from the top plate. They fit snug in the frame and don't need much torque to stay firm. These won't squash the chain stays and are the most stable single leg kick stands I've found for Raleigh Sports type bikes.

Attachment 578916
I have not seen those ESGE stands with that particular top plate. I hate the damage regular KSs do to the chainstay. I must go through the stand bin at the LBS and see if I can find some. I have one Raleigh stand on one of my Sports and have had no problems with it.

Learning...
Old 09-02-17, 02:40 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Really BigChief?

I've never had an issue with the Walter stands, they're contoured to fit the stays and never fall over, on my bikes anyway. I've got 5 of them in 26 and 28 inch sizes. The front wheel never flops and it has a proper stance imo. I've seen a number of them crack and break though.
Tire size may have a bearing or maybe there were subtle changes to frame design over the years. My current 3 Sports are all pre-'60 but I've had at least 20 later models pass through my hands.
I'd make an offer for any you come across

Wow, nice bike!!! For the stand, I have no explanation for this. I found the Walter stands to be completely unacceptable. In my experience, the difference in stability between the walter and the ESGE is huge. But my experience is only 2 different bikes. Both from the mid 60s. Perhaps there's some difference over the years. I don't think I have the 2 stands anymore. Don't think I would have thrown them away, but I haven't seen them in a long time.
Old 09-03-17, 01:59 PM
plympton

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I'm getting a little ahead of myself but it's a rainy Sunday and I've been looking at items that I'll need when I get to the 50's something Raleigh. BigChief recommended Yellow Jersey for the rear reflector so I looked at the site. I see that they have the rod brake handle bars. Are they good? The ones on ebay are twice+ the price. And also, what about tyres? Google images show a variety of sidewalls on vintage Raleighs. I want the style that bike came with. What do you call that rubber band thing that goes on the rim? Also again, I can't believe that with millions of bikes sold there aren't more catalogs I see 1948, 1951, and 1954. Thanks to all, Richard
Old 09-03-17, 04:01 PM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by plympton
So I'm getting a little ahead of myself but it's a rainy Sunday and I've been looking at items that I'll need when I get to the 50's something Raleigh. BigChief recommended Yellow Jersey for the rear reflector so I looked at the site. I see that they have the rod brake handle bars. Are they good? The ones on ebay are twice+ the price. And also, what about tyres? Google images show a variety of sidewalls on vintage Raleighs. I want the style that bike came with. What do you call that rubber band thing that goes on the rim? Also again, I can't believe that with millions of bikes sold there aren't more catalogs I see 1948, 1951, and 1954. Thanks to all, Richard
Most of the roadster parts you see for sale, like the handlebars at yellow jersey are from India or China. I've only seen roadster parts, not the light roadster rod brake bars like your bike has. I wouldn't use them if I were restoring an English roadster myself. I think the reflector is pretty close to the old style though.
Old 09-03-17, 04:49 PM
plympton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of the roadster parts you see for sale, like the handlebars at yellow jersey are from India or China. I've only seen roadster parts, not the light roadster rod brake bars like your bike has. I wouldn't use them if I were restoring an English roadster myself. I think the reflector is pretty close to the old style though.
I talked to a guy who builds hot rod roadsters and he says the same about chrome parts. He sends parts to Canada to be re-chromed. 50% cheaper than US. Maybe I'll find a parts bike with better handlebars.
Old 09-03-17, 05:28 PM
arty dave

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
plympton - the rubber band on a rim is called a rim strip. It stops the nipple heads making holes in the tube (apologies if you already know its function).
It's fine to re-use if the rubber is OK. Some c&v'ers seem to like using self adhesive fabric rim strip. If you're feeling crafty you can cut up an inner tube into a continuous strip and punch a hole in it for the valve.

Here's a 1950 Humber for sale in the Adelaide hills, Australia. It has a SA front hub with both dyno and drum brake, cool! I didn't know SA made this hub. It also has a rear 3 speed drum brake.

$_20 by arty dave armour, on Flickr
Old 09-03-17, 07:20 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,252 Posts
Unique hub! I didn't know the modern version was based on a previous model. Cool bike.
Old 09-03-17, 09:01 PM
BigChief 

I talked to a guy who builds hot rod roadsters and he says the same about chrome parts. He sends parts to Canada to be re-chromed. 50% cheaper than US. Maybe I'll find a parts bike with better handlebars.
I doubt you'll find clean handlebars for your bike anytime soon. Maybe in England, but in the US an early 1950s Dawn is a very rare bike. This restoration will be a challenge. But consider...this bike is very much worth the effort. It would be far easier to restore a later more common model, but nowhere near as satisfying. If I were doing this project (and I wish I were) I would do things one piece at a time and fit expensive things like re-chroming parts as I could afford them. You really do have a wonderful bike there.
Old 09-04-17, 02:16 AM
oldveloman

Bikes: 1951-2 BSA 900E Roadster, 1961 Triumph Sports, 1953 Raleigh Sports, 1981 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Twenty, 1951 Taxandria, ±1950 The Gold Lion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Raleigh produced specific models for Canada. I believe the white paint on the steering tube is common to these models as well as the name and decals.

Attachment 578469
As far as I know, the cream or white peak head appeared in 1957.
Not only on Raleigh bikes, but also on its other brands. I have a late fifties Triumph Sports that has them and I have seen an early sixties Rudge with similar finish.

Peter
Old 09-04-17, 06:47 AM
plympton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rescue me. I have a bike behind my shed that's been sitting there for years. It's a old Hub Cycle Co. coaster brake bike. It had "chain tyres" and I don't think it had inner tube. It's free, just need someone to rescue it. Where on the forum do I post it?
Old 09-04-17, 07:36 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,252 Posts
Rescue me. I have a bike behind my shed that's been sitting there for years. It's a old Hub Cycle Co. coaster brake bike. It had "chain tyres" and I don't think it had inner tube. It's free, just need someone to rescue it. Where on the forum do I post it?
Try the Pay it forward thread

Last edited by clubman; 09-04-17 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-04-17, 10:15 AM
Quantumxl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arty dave
plympton - the rubber band on a rim is called a rim strip. It stops the nipple heads making holes in the tube (apologies if you already know its function).
It's fine to re-use if the rubber is OK. Some c&v'ers seem to like using self adhesive fabric rim strip. If you're feeling crafty you can cut up an inner tube into a continuous strip and punch a hole in it for the valve.

Here's a 1950 Humber for sale in the Adelaide hills, Australia. It has a SA front hub with both dyno and drum brake, cool! I didn't know SA made this hub. It also has a rear 3 speed drum brake.
That Dyno Drum brake system in the front looks so beautiful. I wish that was here in the states. Would've snatched that up in the heart beat.
Old 09-04-17, 02:11 PM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by clubman
Unique hub! I didn't know the modern version was based on a previous model. Cool bike.
I wonder if that hub is a custom creation. Really cool idea. Might be some way to build one. Hmmm
Old 09-04-17, 02:38 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
A link to a document on the VCC.
https://veterancycleclublibrary.org.u...20Library).pdf
Old 09-04-17, 05:46 PM
plympton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can get a 53 Raleigh Sport ladies for under $100. I could use: 3 speed hub, all the little nuts and bolts, chain case, fenders, luggage rack, etc. Not the handlebars I need and an LL Bean saddle. I could reassemble her as my errands bike at the cabin.
Old 09-04-17, 06:01 PM
arty dave

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Very nice dweenk, thanks for posting, I love seeing the old catalogues and manuals. Apart from the 60's Raleigh/SA wheel-building instuctions...jeebers that did my head in To be fair I was quite tired when I sat down to build the wheel - but it was my first time lacing a BF hub with large flange/small flange. I got it right the 3rd time...just had to read the instructions really really carefully
Old 09-04-17, 09:53 PM
BigChief 

I can get a 53 Raleigh Sport ladies for under $100. I could use: 3 speed hub, all the little nuts and bolts, chain case, fenders, luggage rack, etc. Not the handlebars I need and an LL Bean saddle. I could reassemble her as my errands bike at the cabin.
The whole wheel should work. Any Raleigh Sports would have the dual purpose rims you need for your rod brakes. The catalogs do list a regular AW 3 speed hub as an option, but they don't show the Dawn with a rear carrier. The Brooks B66 saddle shown in this 1951 catalog is still in production.

Old 09-06-17, 04:14 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,634 Times in 2,599 Posts
Was someone looking for replacement bars for a DL-1? I just found these as I was cleaning out my basement:

Chrome is in decent shape; otherwise, wysiwyg. Yours for the cost of shipping.
Old 09-06-17, 04:45 PM
3speedslow

I received the replacement spring from @BigChief so got some time today to pop the case open on the 50's shifter. Rivets were tight but tri-flow, a little time to soak and one or two firm whacks with the 1 1/16 punch brought them out. All parts were oily but cleaned up nice. Case is nice and straight, thank goodness!

Will reassemble tomorrow while my knee recovers from my hard riding today. One place I went was back to the LBS with the dark bins of forgotten parts. Out from them came an NOS Schwinn SA trigger cable with accessories. i got a good price!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1702.jpg (92.5 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1701.jpg (90.9 KB, 169 views)
Old 09-07-17, 06:51 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
I received the replacement spring from @BigChief so got some time today to pop the case open on the 50's shifter. Rivets were tight but tri-flow, a little time to soak and one or two firm whacks with the 1 1/16 punch brought them out. All parts were oily but cleaned up nice. Case is nice and straight, thank goodness!

Will reassemble tomorrow while my knee recovers from my hard riding today. One place I went was back to the LBS with the dark bins of forgotten parts. Out from them came an NOS Schwinn SA trigger cable with accessories. i got a good price!
That's a nice cable. It's got the stripped/coated section past the stop.
Old 09-07-17, 06:55 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
Robin Hood

A nice project for some one.
Listed on Toronto Kijiji @ $159.00
A 1957 Robin Hood 3 speed with a leather saddlle. I'm tempted but I'm only buying tall frames from now on.
$_2bfdhtr7.jpg

$_dsgrhye.jpg

$_vnmhky27.jpg

$bfyju7_27.jpg

Last edited by gster; 09-08-17 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-07-17, 07:21 AM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by gster
That's a nice cable. It's got the stripped/coated section past the stop.
Yes and it has the threaded ferrule he needs for the 50s window shifter. Nice find.
Old 09-07-17, 09:55 AM
3speedslow

Yes and it has the threaded ferrule he needs for the 50s window shifter. Nice find.
You caught that! About jumped when I saw that little tiny piece. I had the blackest, greasiest fingers from pawing through the bins of little things looking for one of those.

I was very excited to get that cable. Made the cap to a great day. Was so happy I didn't mind the rain pelting me as I raced home on my bike.
Old 09-07-17, 08:43 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
The whole wheel should work. Any Raleigh Sports would have the dual purpose rims you need for your rod brakes. The catalogs do list a regular AW 3 speed hub as an option, but they don't show the Dawn with a rear carrier. The Brooks B66 saddle shown in this 1951 catalog is still in production.

I had no idea Raleigh used stainless spokes way back then. Wow!!
Old 09-08-17, 06:30 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
I had no idea Raleigh used stainless spokes way back then. Wow!!
Look closely at the illustration. They used invisible spokes!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.