Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

In Iowa, Kill a rabbit bad... Kill a cyclist meh...

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 03-06-20, 03:05 PM
fasthair

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

I'm not even sure what to say other than write your state law makers an demand action on the bills that are currently on the House or Senate floors in your state.

Now mind you these two sentencing happened on the same day this week in Iowa 5/3/2020.

Please for the sake of a follow this cyclist lets not turn this into a victim blaming thread.

Retired Cop Kills Cyclist

Rabbit Killer

Safe Passing of Bicyclists in Iowa Bill HF2189

Ride safe my fellow cyclists.
Old 03-06-20, 07:08 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
PROBATION?!!!
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 03-07-20, 12:02 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Two justice systems, one for the privileged including cops and one for the rest of us regular citizens.
Old 03-07-20, 02:20 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
No idea how that isn’t mandatory jail time.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 03-07-20, 05:33 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Sounds like a case of the Law protecting one of its own or at least a former LEO.

Seems to happen a lot these days.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 03-10-20, 08:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Damn! Dude actually went back to the scene of the crime not long after it happened and didn't stop, then waited several more hours to contact police. Sobering up perhaps?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-10-20, 12:16 PM
fasthair

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
PROBATION?!!!
But don't kill a pet rabbit in Iowa

Originally Posted by CB HI
Two justice systems, one for the privileged including cops and one for the rest of us regular citizens.
If you have enough money...

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
No idea how that isn’t mandatory jail time.
My lawyer friend said the original charges carried 5 years. But since they didn't release details of the plea deal we have no clue what he pleaded to.

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Sounds like a case of the Law protecting one of its own or at least a former LEO.

Seems to happen a lot these days.

Cheers
The good ol' boys club.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Damn! Dude actually went back to the scene of the crime not long after it happened and didn't stop, then waited several more hours to contact police. Sobering up perhaps?
He "thought he had hit a dear or something." So I doubt he had to sober up /s
Likes For fasthair:
Old 03-10-20, 08:37 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by fasthair
He "thought he had hit a deer(sp) or something." So I doubt he had to sober up /s
Of course he had to sober up. All drivers claim they thought they hit a deer. This guy is a retired cop, he knew he would get jail time regardless of his cop priviledge if he blew .08 or higher.

And guess what, it worked for him.
Old 03-11-20, 08:26 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I agree that two years probation is ridiculous, but really there's not much comparison between these two cases. In the first case, the driver (possibly drunk) likely did not intend to hit or kill the cyclist. In the other, the psycho dude fully intended to kill that rabbit for whatever reason. You can't prove intent in the first case, but in the second the intent is pretty obvious. And I think at some point in recent history Congress passed a law making animal cruelty a felony. Whereas they still consider hit and run of a cyclist a misdemeanor. I'm not saying that hit & run laws don't need to be toughened up, but really comparing these two cases is apples & oranges. At least the rabbit killer got two years in jail, and the retired cop should have gotten at least the same.

We had a local case here a few years ago where a cyclist was run over and killed by a guy who was too impatient to wait for an oncoming car to pass before trying to pass the cyclist. He got a whopping 60 days in jail. Light sentences for drivers killing cyclists are a scourge upon this nation. Likely because defense attorneys always spin these incidents as an "unfortunate accident" instead of what it is, criminal negligence resulting in death.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 03-11-20, 08:28 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I really have no doubt that's what happened. I mean, if you thought you hit some debris or a deer on the side of the road, wouldn't you stop to check it out to see what it was you ran over, and if there were any damage to your vehicle? He likely realized what he did, remembered that he was drunk, and went home to sober up and get his story straight.
Old 03-11-20, 09:31 AM
fasthair

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I agree that two years probation is ridiculous, but really there's not much comparison between these two cases. In the first case, the driver (possibly drunk) likely did not intend to hit or kill the cyclist. In the other, the psycho dude fully intended to kill that rabbit for whatever reason..
While I agree the dude that killed the rabbit did it with malice and probably needs some metal health care while he is locked up and lets hope he gets it. We do not need a loose cannon like that on the streets because it could very well be a human next time.

The cop on the other hand got a slap on the wrist, even though like you, I'm sure he didn't intend to hit and kill the cyclist. However the fact remains that he did hit and kill the cyclist while possibly drunk (2AM!) and did not stop to render aid. As you said even if it was a "just a deer" any non-drunk/normal person would have stopped to see. This is criminal negligence resulting in death at the least and should have been punished as such. They had all the evidence to prove such and the courts failed this man and his family.

My point of this post however was... contact your state representatives to get laws to passed to make sure these types of crimes are punished accordingly. Join your local/state advocacy groups email list to stay abreast of what is happening with proposed laws so you can add your voice. If no one speaks up your representatives may not care or even know these laws are important.

How much time in prison should the cop have got? I don't know, but 2 years seems like a reasonable start since that is what a rabbits life is worth.

BTW I'm not arguing with you here.
Likes For fasthair:
Old 03-11-20, 10:45 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I agree with the good professor here.
Old 03-11-20, 11:22 AM
Koyote