Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Presta or Schrader Valve Tubes?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 05-01-22, 01:45 PM
jwr0201

Bikes: Trek Lattitude MTB Specialized Crossroads Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Please forgive this newcomer if this has been posted before. I'm refurbing a needy pre-owned Specialized Hybrid bike and have no experience with Presta valves. I do see that they are the more popular valve type for bikes now. So which type would likely be preferable for hybrid bikes?
Thanx,
RR
Old 05-01-22, 02:33 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
It's not a choice you need to make, if you are refurbing a bike and using the existing wheels. Use whatever the rims are made for. There are adapters that let you use presta tubes in a rim drilled for schrader, but there's little benefit. You'll get all sorts of opinions on which valve type is "better" but they both work fine so just use whatever the rim is drilled for now.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 05-02-22, 06:46 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Both valves have certain pros and cons, most of which don't apply to most riders (myself included). The only reason I've converted to one of the two standards in my fleet is to simplify logistics and tube inventory. All of my bikes use one type of valve, and I do what I need with any new acqusitions to use that one valve type with those wheels.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 05-04-22, 06:18 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 241 Posts
As others have mentioned, it really doesn't matter.

That being said, as one who has been installing tubes in all types of tires since the 80's, I appreciate the Presta valve setup with the threaded stem. It's definitely easier to install tires with the tube held in place by the stem. I have converted all of the bikes in my garage to Presta valve since the arrived.
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 05-04-22, 07:34 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by Trav1s
That being said, as one who has been installing tubes in all types of tires since the 80's, I appreciate the Presta valve setup with the threaded stem. It's definitely easier to install tires with the tube held in place by the stem. I have converted all of the bikes in my garage to Presta valve since the arrived.
I very much agree re: threaded stem. I'm using Schrader and wanted to noted that threaded Schrader valves exist as well for those who like that. I'm currently using Conti tubes with the threaded Schrader valves, and find them to be a good value.

Last edited by hokiefyd; 05-04-22 at 07:39 AM.
Likes For hokiefyd: