Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does the car insurance covers one's bike ride?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-22, 04:24 PM
mrdelurk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

If I rent a car, my normal car insurance covers my rental car use too. So, operating an other vehicle is OK. One would think the same stands if the other vehicle were a bicycle. But when I asked my insurance company if my car insurance covers my bike riding too, as of now, a month later, they still haven't responded. (Highly unusual from them.)

I'll keep pestering the company for an answer of any sort, but I figured I'll check here with other fellow riders in the meantime. What's your experience on this?

I haven't had an accident in decades (car or bike). The only reason I inquired is that I'm trying to gain access to a private road. Being able to say "I'm insured" to the owner might make a difference, If it doesn't cost money, why not add it... :-)
Old 07-08-22, 04:37 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
No would be my guess. Maybe you can provide proof of health insurance, like Obamacare?
Old 07-08-22, 04:42 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
My vehicle insurance doesn't cover my bikes.
Old 07-08-22, 04:45 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
What coverage do you want? Coverage for injuries if something happens to you, or coverage if you hurt someone else?

Homeowners or renters liability coverage should provide you with coverage if you hurt someone or something.
Old 07-08-22, 05:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
You insurance agent might know more about what coverage you have than we do. What kind of coverage and what insurance company you are insured by probably makes a difference.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-08-22, 05:52 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You insurance agent might know more about what coverage you have than we do. What kind of coverage and what insurance company you are insured by probably makes a difference.
might?
Likes For spelger:
Old 07-08-22, 06:04 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Like a good neighbor, Bike Forums is there.
Old 07-08-22, 06:20 PM
ccrrar

Bikes: Calfee Luna Pro w/ full Campy Record, Trek Domane SL7

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I crashed last summer, my first in 20+ years, totaled my bike and it was considered personal property under my homeowners policy. I got full replacement value less my deductible. My medical insurance covered my bodily injury which included a broken sacrum.

Rob
Likes For ccrrar:
Old 07-08-22, 07:13 PM
101stairborne

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad; Lynkey Cooper CX

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
I would be considering changing insurance companies if they aren’t answering your questions. If the agent doesn’t know the answer an email or phone call from him or her to the claim’s department would get the answer.

For most insurance companies if you injury someone or damage their property with your bicycle your homeowners or renters insurance liability would provide you with coverage up to policy limits.
Old 07-08-22, 08:00 PM
greatbasin

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
In my state, bicycles are explicitly not vehicles, where "vehicle" has a specific legal definition. If they were "vehicles" then they would be subject to things like registration because it is unlawful to use an unregistered vehicle on the public roads. One would also need a license and liability insurance. Thankfully, bicycles are not vehicles.

If you have a homeowners or renter's insurance policy, the bicycle could be covered as property under that policy and the same policy's blanket liability coverage could cover injury or damage that is caused to others. Medical insurance should cover (under the terms of the policy) the cost of injuries to yourself.

If your homeowner policy's deductible is less than a few thousand dollars, you're probably paying too much in premiums. So unless your bicycle is worth more than a few thousand dollars, it's effectively not covered. If it is worth many thousands of dollars, watch out for maximum coverage of single items. If you have single items that have high value, such as very expensive jewelry, art, firearms, optics, furs, musical instruments, or rare coins, your homeowners insurance is not likely to cover the full value of those items. For those items, insurers offer "valuable personal property insurance" policies. These policies often have no deductible and can cover the full value of an expensive item, but of course the premiums are in addition to the homeowners policy and they're commensurate with the value of the item.

Not many bicycles have replacement costs higher than $5000. Yes, bicycles often cost $10,000 or $12,000 brand new, but after they have been ridden some, they can be replaced with a similar bicycle for some fraction of the purchase price. Bicycles very rarely maintain five-figure values over time unless they are collector's items. In that case, they might be worth insuring, but person is not likely to have just one of those and would want to talk to their insurer about covering their collection. For the person who has a single bicycle that's worth something, but not as much as a new car, the premiums are likely to be too high for insuring it with a policy of its own, which leaves it to be covered by the homeowner's policy, which is likely to have a deductible that will take a good chunk out of the effective coverage. If the homeowner's deductible is low enough for it to cover the bike, say $500, then the premiums will be high, and making a claim on the bike will drive them even higher.

Where the homeowner's policy is very valuable is in providing blanket liability coverage and coverage in case of catastrophic loss. It's often very cheap to get a million dollars coverage in case you manage to do some damage with your bicycle or some other way. The alternative is to leave yourself open to asset forfeiture. It's also meaningful and cost-effective to cover hundreds of thousands of dollars or more of house and contents with a high deductible (say 1%). You won't have to pay premiums to cover petty claims, but the coverage will be there for the big-one.

As for injury to yourself, your coverage is cursed by a broken healthcare industry that was built by bilking insurance companies. My local emergency department costs $3096.12 just to say "hi." To start an IV and do an X-ray, it immediately doubles. If your employer is still paying over $20,000 a year in premiums, you probably have a good plan, but you're losing out in terms of take-home pay (or more likely your employer is just not cutting that cost yet, but soon will). A lot of employers have stopped paying those kinds of premiums and have been offering "high-deductible" plans instead. Not only do the policy-holders pay hundreds of dollars a month, but they also pick up the tab for the first several thousand dollars or more of medical expenses per individual. After that, the plan might only cover 50% until an annual maximum out-of-pocket is reached which might be many thousands of dollars for an individual. Be sure to max-out your HSA plan so you can at least pay the bills with pre-tax dollars. This kind of coverage is effective for major medical expenses (when the bills total in the hundreds of thousands or millions, which is very easy to do with anything serious), but for falling off your bike, expect to pay for most of it.
Likes For greatbasin:
Old 07-09-22, 02:17 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by ccrrar
I crashed last summer, my first in 20+ years, totaled my bike and it was considered personal property under my homeowners policy. I got full replacement value less my deductible. My medical insurance covered my bodily injury which included a broken sacrum.
This is typical. Homeowners/renters covers damages, health insurance covers the injuries. If the crash is with a car and it is the motorist's fault then things get more complicated depending on the state.
Old 07-10-22, 02:20 PM
BillRS22

Bikes: Waterford RS22 (2004), PEUGEOT PKN10 (1981), Raleigh Gran Sport (1976), Mercian 1974

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 25 Posts
Bike INsurance

I wondered a few years ago about my liability if I caused an automobile accident while riding my bike. It could
happen, or a driver could claim you caused an accident even if you didn’t. I decided to purchase a supplemental
umbrella policy to cover any such situation. More for liability reasons than property loss. Bill
Likes For BillRS22:
Old 07-11-22, 07:57 AM
gooseneck34

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I would presume that it does not cover your bike riding, i take part in a few outdoor sorts and i have cover for some of the ones i feel i need it for. I would recommend sports fs, im sure they would be happy to answer any of your questions. hope this helps
Old 07-11-22, 08:03 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
That's the biggest problem with buying insurance on line or over the phone: no insurance agent to talk to.

I had a similar question (rental cars for personal use) a while back. The person at the other end of the phone was useless. It took careful reading of about 19 of 28 pages of fine print legalese before I could find the answer.
Old 07-11-22, 08:38 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,492 Posts
answer is a yes/

not personal injury coverage as thats what your personal health insurance is for. roadside assistance is applicable if your bike breaks down or you require transporting your bike home..https://member.acg.aaa.com/mi/member...e-service.html "Bicycle transportation service is counted towards your allotted roadside assistance service calls per member, per membership year. AAA will transport you and your bike to any point of safety within the limits of your coverage." also you do NOT need to have a vehicle insurance policy with AAA to be a member of roadside assistance.

Last edited by '02 nrs; 07-11-22 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-11-22, 09:37 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Before I try to find an actual person at the insurance company to speak to, does it seem possible my situation might make sense to try to file a claim

I hit storm road debris a week after a historic storm resulting in a double flat an my inability to keep the right side up. I got hurt and my medical bills were largely covered. I never thought the damage to the bike could be covered by my homeowners. I have $1000 deductible. The bike is an irreplaceable Pinarello Dogma (Ak 61 magnesium) that was rendered unusable. I am looking at new Dogma that are $16K and the frames bare are around $7k. I have been looking online for a replacement in my size (59.5 cm or maybe a 62cm) for 9 months since my accident, and they just do not exist.

If insurance covered the loss, is such a relatively old frame worthless from their perspective and therefore, I should just accept the loss? Or would they use what a new frame would cost? Or the whole bike?
Old 07-11-22, 12:12 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 191 Posts
The problem with making a claim for your bike is that:

1. Your insurer might hike your premiums to ridiculous levels, assuming they keep you;

2. If they pay the claim and then drop you, your ability to get insurance is severely curtailed and much more expensive;

3. You might not be getting adequate compensation for your ride, as you noted.

So if you ever get ahold of your agent, might want to ask what happens if you make a fairly large claim. Hopefully your agent would know the general policy of the insurer enough to be able to predict what would happen.
Old 07-11-22, 12:18 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdelurk
If I rent a car, my normal car insurance covers my rental car use too. So, operating an other vehicle is OK. One would think the same stands if the other vehicle were a bicycle. But when I asked my insurance company if my car insurance covers my bike riding too, as of now, a month later, they still haven't responded. (Highly unusual from them.)
Car insurance is just for cars and driving them (not bicycles). Not all policies cover damage to rental cars.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-11-22 at 12:39 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-11-22, 12:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Car insurance is just for cars and driving them (not bicycles).
Yes. when it comes to riding them, which is what the OP is asking about. A bike stolen from a car or damaged while being transported via car might be covered if the insured has the proper coverages. (I.e., collision and comprehensive). But as for riding, you are no more covered than when you are out for a walk or run.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-11-22, 01:28 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Car insurance is just for cars and driving them (not bicycles). Not all policies cover damage to rental cars.
A friend of mine ran into the back of a car one morning, flipped over the bars, and dented the trunk. His insurance covered the damage. So a better categorical answer would be, "Maybe, depending on the policy."
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-11-22, 01:58 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
https://www.bikelaw.com/2016/06/does...cle-accidents/

This is from 2016.
Old 07-11-22, 02:18 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
A friend of mine ran into the back of a car one morning, flipped over the bars, and dented the trunk. His insurance covered the damage. So a better categorical answer would be, "Maybe, depending on the policy."
Interesting. You car insurance includes liability (damage you cause other people's cars or property).

Of course, the answer is always "check the policy". The OP hasn't succeeded in doing that.

We also have no idea what sort of coverage the OP is asking about, which makes it a poor question anyway.

In the light of all that, the better answer for not usual things "is not covered but you should check the actual policy".
Old 07-11-22, 06:56 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Apparently, to get auto insurance there is some documentation required. One of which is a valid driver license. Which, of course, you have to pass a test to get. I guess that’s how the insurance company knows you’re a qualified driver, that you’ve demonstrated you know the rules. And they sorta know if you’ve upheld those standards by your police driving record. For the bike? Not so much. No qualification required. So I wouldn’t think insurance companies would want to insure someone that they have no indication as to what kind of bicycle operator you are.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 07-11-22 at 06:59 PM.