Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

V-brake rim vs. Mechanical Disk on E-assist Bike Friday.

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 08-19-22, 02:10 PM
amyvegan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Hi.

Please give advice about choosing V-brake rim vs. Mechanical Disk on E-assist Bike Friday New World Tourist (folding).

The BF sales guy thinks I will be FINE with V-brakes but almost everyone else I know and talk to thinks mechanical disc (even though not hydrolic) will be better.

I will be hauling a loaded Burley Bike trailer a few times a week and it rains where I live and can be hilly in parts of the city, Portland, OR.

Pros for rim: easy to fix myself, cheaper, I'm used to rim brakes.
Cons for rim: unable to get parts in the future/obsolescence//losing resale value or having no resale appeal, less braking power in the rain.

Pros for disc: rain, stopping power, not going obsolete anytime in the future.
Cons for disc: noise, cost of repair, can be "finicky."

THANK YOU.

Last edited by amyvegan; 08-19-22 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-19-22, 03:27 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
V brakes with Kool Stop pads have always worked well for me, and I don't like the look of unadorned brake studs, but I think that since you're in a rainy environment, Avid BB7's would be superior.
Old 08-19-22, 03:28 PM
amyvegan

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
V brakes with Kool Stop pads have always worked well for me, and I don't like the look of unadorned brake studs, but I think that since you're in a rainy environment, Avid BB7's would be superior.
thanks. i will ask BF about BB7s.
Likes For amyvegan:
Old 08-19-22, 05:51 PM
2old

As you say, it's a good idea to ask about in another BF sub-forum since this isn't an "e" specific consideration IMO (except for the extra weight of an ebike).
Old 08-19-22, 07:21 PM
amyvegan

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
As you say, it's a good idea to ask about in another BF sub-forum since this isn't an "e" specific consideration IMO (except for the extra weight of an ebike).
i did. thank you.
Likes For amyvegan:
Old 08-19-22, 08:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Yes disc brakes always disc brakes on an e-bike and ideally hydraulic disc brakes.

Rim brakes and certainly mechanical disc brakes are fine for normal bikes but for an e-bike I want good reliable stopping power especially pulling trailers and riding in the rain frequently. My Magura MT4s and MT5s have been trouble free, the only thing I have needed to do in 3000 miles is replace some pads no adjustment or noise or anything and the pads aren't exceptionally more expensive than my rim brake pads and I don't necessarily have to replace them quite as often and no cables or housing to fray.

If I was sticking with rim brakes (which again would not do on an e-bike) I would get SwissStop or KoolStop pads and Jagwire Elite Link Housing/Cables or similar compressionless housing with stainless polished cables with no coatings.
Old 08-19-22, 11:49 PM
amyvegan

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yes disc brakes always disc brakes on an e-bike and ideally hydraulic disc brakes.

Rim brakes and certainly mechanical disc brakes are fine for normal bikes but for an e-bike I want good reliable stopping power especially pulling trailers and riding in the rain frequently. My Magura MT4s and MT5s have been trouble free, the only thing I have needed to do in 3000 miles is replace some pads no adjustment or noise or anything and the pads aren't exceptionally more expensive than my rim brake pads and I don't necessarily have to replace them quite as often and no cables or housing to fray.

If I was sticking with rim brakes (which again would not do on an e-bike) I would get SwissStop or KoolStop pads and Jagwire Elite Link Housing/Cables or similar compressionless housing with stainless polished cables with no coatings.
thanks so much vegan person from another vegan person!
Likes For amyvegan:
Old 08-20-22, 11:01 AM
2old

If you can go hydraulic, I've had excellent success in a pretty extreme off road environment with inexpensive Shimano M-200 brakes which are about $60 per wheel and come pre-bled so all you need to do is install them. However make sure you order the appropriate length.
Old 08-20-22, 11:57 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
Yes. I've also used the MT200, although I got mine from China for less. Also working well for me, but I cannot vouch for reliability is the equally cheap Zoom HB200 full hydraulic set.

For both, I had to epoxy magnetic brake cutoff switches to the brake levers. I attached the magnets with screws..
Old 08-20-22, 09:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by amyvegan
thanks so much vegan person from another vegan person!
No worries, happy to help. There are a few other vegan folks around here as well.

Good luck with the bike.
Old 08-23-22, 07:09 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 448 Posts
Disc brakes have clear advantage over rim brakes, which can wear out the rim prematurely from the braking surfaces.
With smaller wheel diameter, the rims can heat up significantly on sustained downhill and result in flat tire while traveling.
If the rims are out of true, you can still ride the bike without annoying brake rub.

Yes, hydraulic disc brakes have clear advantages over mechanical disc, unless you're carrying significant weight like a cargo ebike,
or frequently traveling downhill over long distance; mechanical disc brakes are just fine.
Hydraulic disc brakes are overkill for bikes with smaller wheel & narrow-ish tires/rims.
Mechanical disc brakes are easier to maintain, no harmful fluids to replace, or source when you need to replace the fluids.
Brake cables are easy to find replacement.
Personally, I see the simplicity of mechanical disc brakes outweighs the performance that I rarely need for hydraulic disc brakes.
Old 08-26-22, 12:21 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
IMO any ebike that hits 20+ mph should have disc brakes. Also if there's massive hills involved. That's my opinion, so YMMV.
Old 08-27-22, 05:24 AM
BobG

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
No problem here with Paul cantilevers and Kool-Stop pads on my ebike retrofit (cross top levers help immensely for power braking with drop bars). Prior to becoming an ebike I rode it cross country for 20 years with up to 30 pounds of camping gear in four panniers or BOB trailer. Riding it now locally with 17 pounds of motor and battery doesn't suddenly make it unwieldy! I descend and re-climb a long 14% grade every day just going to the coffee shop under total control.

If I were buying a new Bike Friday as Amy is I'd likely use discs, but I'm certainly not going to throw away a classic frame designed for a load because it doesn't have the latest brakes. I now use 700x43 gravel tires and have shed the fenders around town ...

Bruce Gordon Rock 'n' Road ebike retrofit

same bike pre-electrification with a heavier load, no problems with braking, rain or shine ...

Gibbons Pass MT

Last edited by BobG; 08-27-22 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-27-22, 03:10 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
A conversion is fine, but a new purchase is a whole different matter.