Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Frost Warning - Boston

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Frost Warning - Boston

Old 10-05-22, 10:39 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Frost Warning - Boston

Boston is expecting its first frost this Saturday night into Sunday 10/8-10/9

It looks like we may have a "real" winter here this year - it hasn't happened for a while, at least not in my neck of the woods
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 10-05-22, 10:51 AM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav

It looks like we may have a "real" winter here this year - it hasn't happened for a while, at least not in my neck of the woods
Hmm, not seeing that in the NOAA forecast but at any rate, it certainly has cooled down a lot since right around the equinox.
Old 10-05-22, 11:01 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts

was just thinking, the other day, about how dry it was this summer, & how it might rebound for us w/ another winter like 2015/2016. I also have to bring my palm plants in ... ugh, the cat is gonna have a field day
Old 10-05-22, 11:16 AM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by EVlove
Hmm, not seeing that in the NOAA forecast but at any rate, it certainly has cooled down a lot since right around the equinox.
I heard that on Ch. 5 and Ch. 7 just now on the12pm and 1230pm broadcasts...

NOAA? They are hopeless around here. The other day - maybe 10 days ago - we had over 1 inch of rain at Laurence Hanscomb. I sat here and watched it rain all afternoon. What did they report to Ch. 4? 0 inches. I went back and took a look at their numbers. They reported a 2 hour gap (when it was raining the hardest!) in their data between 1pm and 3pm. And Ch. 4 Eric Fisher even mentioned this on the Ch 38 8pm show, that sometimes NOAA stations at muni airports are unreliable.

So I'm saying above, sometimes it rains "too hard" for the NOAA stations. and obviously it can rain "too light" for the NOAA stations to register it as measurable data.
Old 10-05-22, 02:59 PM
rvman

Bikes: Jamis commuter 2 , engwe EP-2 Pro 750 watt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Frost twice in a week here in E.TN.
Old 10-05-22, 04:43 PM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 217 Posts
I heard that on Ch. 5 and Ch. 7 just now on the12pm and 1230pm broadcasts...

NOAA? They are hopeless around here. The other day - maybe 10 days ago - we had over 1 inch of rain at Laurence Hanscomb. I sat here and watched it rain all afternoon. What did they report to Ch. 4? 0 inches. I went back and took a look at their numbers. They reported a 2 hour gap (when it was raining the hardest!) in their data between 1pm and 3pm. And Ch. 4 Eric Fisher even mentioned this on the Ch 38 8pm show, that sometimes NOAA stations at muni airports are unreliable.

So I'm saying above, sometimes it rains "too hard" for the NOAA stations. and obviously it can rain "too light" for the NOAA stations to register it as measurable data.
Well, I'm the opposite, I give zero attention to the commercial stations, they're driven by ratings.

FWIW, one really good government weather service is the one from Norway. Their app is called "Yr" and works for any location on the globe. Was recommended to us by friends in Ireland who find it much better than their own national weather service.
Old 10-06-22, 09:26 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Well, at least we don’t have to worry about seeing the Red Sox players bundled up in arctic parkas trying to play baseball in the playoffs.

Dan
Old 10-06-22, 10:11 AM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by EVlove
Well, I'm the opposite, I give zero attention to the commercial stations, they're driven by ratings.

Interesting, the tv channels sure are driven by ratings. But all of the channels around here rely on the NOAA services to be accurate since they use NOAA's numbers in their reports. And to their credit only Ch. 4 and Ch. 38 (which are partners) had the guts to make a glancing comment about the obvious error by NOAA on that occasion.

And I understand why the viewers might be concerned about NOAA's under-reporting about the rainfall. Between July 1 and August 31 of this year, or thereabouts, "the city of Boston" (particular to that municipality) had only 4 inches of rain total. And I agree with RR - that's pretty low for a summer rainfall around here. And during that time this entire eastern Massachusetts region has been in a "severe drought."

So, like I said above, I see with my own two eyes that it's raining modestly in mid-September. And I start to think, ahhh, the drought is finally breaking up and ending. And then the media claims there was no rain and continues to hype a drought narrative based on the faulty numbers. TBH that's really weird.

And So now I get concerned that NOAA might be exaggerating the drought narrative a little bit by under-reporting "no rain." Sure, it's explainable by an instrumentation problem they may have had, but in my opinion the public has every right to keep honest NOAA just like the media.

At least that's my soap box moment for the day.

Oh Dan - OMG lol the red sox have it too easy, I agree. [sarcasm] They should be forced to go watch the final Patriots / Bills game up in Buffalo this January - it's also hitting the fan in Foxboro!

Last edited by parkbrav; 10-06-22 at 10:39 AM.
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 10-06-22, 12:10 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

NECN has their own mobile radar truck. their forecasts are pretty good. if I want a live radar loop I go to intellicast (an old client of mine) who got bought out by Wunderground whoever they are. regardless the live radar loop is pretty useful

https://www.wunderground.com/maps/radar/current
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-11-22, 08:40 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I also have to bring my palm plants in ... ugh, the cat is gonna have a field day
got 1 in the house & the cat already did some exploring in the dirt. swept it up but I'm gonna have to keep an eye on him. tricky kitty

another, is on it's way to school, w/ Wifey
Old 11-15-22, 08:25 AM
rumrunn6

Boston is expecting its first frost this Saturday night into Sunday 10/8-10/9It looks like we may have a "real" winter here this year - it hasn't happened for a while, at least not in my neck of the woods
this morning froze up my auto's DIY washer fluid. time to buy the real winter stuff
Old 11-16-22, 11:28 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
It was briefly snowing last night! Some frigid night temps for the next couple of weeks. Don't worry, I'm sure we'll still have those 50-60 degree days in December
Likes For autonomy:
Old 11-16-22, 11:44 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by autonomy
It was briefly snowing last night! Some frigid night temps for the next couple of weeks. Don't worry, I'm sure we'll still have those 50-60 degree days in December
metrowest last night around 10-10:30pm was a fun drive home from Natick