Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Count me in!

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Count me in!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-22, 07:46 PM
Buzzzz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Count me in!

Last edited by Buzzzz; 12-08-22 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-20-22, 07:36 AM
FREEBIRD1

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
I've been out on mine all weekend, we got probably 2 feet of snow in the last week or so. Nice to be out biking instead of sitting in the house, they're a work-out for sure, but so fun.

Old 11-20-22, 02:45 PM
FREEBIRD1

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
The bridge pic.

Likes For FREEBIRD1:
Old 11-20-22, 03:30 PM
Buzzzz

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Old 11-29-22, 08:42 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzzz
And count me back out!

I just took the TF5 out on it's madien voyage, a 10 mile ride, daylight, 25º F. , couple inches of fresh snow, some clear areas on side streets and a small area
that had a wooded trail. The only place the bike felt at home was on the wooded trail, but there are not many of them near me, I'd have to drive 15 miles each way to get
to a park with enough trails.

So I intend to take back the bike for a refund, they offer a 5 day returns on bikes. I have brought it in the house and cleaned it off, so it's still like brand new.

So that's what I'm going to do, a fat bike is definitely not for me. I was going about 10 mph
and really having to work for that, but it wasn't the fact I felt like I was going slow, it's that it seems having tires that big and fat served no purpose. Now I do not own
or ever have owned a mountain bike. I have test rode a few Trek Marlins on dry paved surfaces, yes I felt the difference between that and a road or hybrid. But logic tells me tires which are 2.20" wide would be much better overall on any surface paved, gravel or trail.

I own a road bike and last week got a hybrid. I can either buy studded tires for the hybrid (a Trek FX 6 Sport)..or else I can buy a Trek Marlin 6 or 7. Needless to say the Marlin 6 or 7 would cost less than half of what the Farley 5 costed.

I think a Marlin with it's 2.20" wide tires would handle snow better than my hybrid if I put studded tires on it, anybody with advice about that? Studded or not I doubt a 35 mm wide tire is going to be safe on snowy/icy surfaces.

Oh, one other issue, I drive a very small car, and I don't have a rack. I was used to being able to put my road bike in the hatch inside the car..the Farley did get in my car but it took up 2x as much space, the front wheel had to go where the passenger seat was (I have removed the passenger seat). Now I don't expect a Marlin to fit like my skinny wheeled road bike did, but I'd probably be able to get it all in the back.
A fatbike's natural environment is off the roads ... but with some tuning, a fatbike can be fun and fast on any surface. There is no question, it takes a lot more power and you'll go slower ... rolling resistance is real.

I've used both studded winter tires on a Marin Nail Trail (26er trail bike) and a Surly Pugsley on my commuting route (mix of roads and rail-trails), and the two are comparable for speed at a given effort. I would pick the bike based on the conditions, fresh snow would be the Pugsley and bare roads (or icy roads) would be the Nail Trail. After the Marin's frame broke, I didn't replace it because the Pugsley was the better options for nearly all conditions (I bought studded fat tires for serious $$ for icy conditions). If your winters are short, fatbikes aren't likely worth N+1, but in Minnesota ... we have snow from November through March, it's easy to go stir-crazy without a way to get out for a ride.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 11-29-22, 12:42 PM
Buzzzz

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Old 12-08-22, 11:39 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzzz
Originally Posted by Buzzzz View Post
And count me back out!

I just took the TF5 out on it's madien voyage, a 10 mile ride, daylight, 25º F. , couple inches of fresh snow, some clear areas on side streets and a small area
that had a wooded trail. The only place the bike felt at home was on the wooded trail, but there are not many of them near me, I'd have to drive 15 miles each way to get
to a park with enough trails.

So I intend to take back the bike for a refund, they offer a 5 day returns on bikes. I have brought it in the house and cleaned it off, so it's still like brand new.

So that's what I'm going to do, a fat bike is definitely not for me. I was going about 10 mph
and really having to work for that, but it wasn't the fact I felt like I was going slow, it's that it seems having tires that big and fat served no purpose. Now I do not own
or ever have owned a mountain bike. I have test rode a few Trek Marlins on dry paved surfaces, yes I felt the difference between that and a road or hybrid. But logic tells me tires which are 2.20" wide would be much better overall on any surface paved, gravel or trail.

I own a road bike and last week got a hybrid. I can either buy studded tires for the hybrid (a Trek FX 6 Sport)..or else I can buy a Trek Marlin 6 or 7. Needless to say the Marlin 6 or 7 would cost less than half of what the Farley 5 costed.

I think a Marlin with it's 2.20" wide tires would handle snow better than my hybrid if I put studded tires on it, anybody with advice about that? Studded or not I doubt a 35 mm wide tire is going to be safe on snowy/icy surfaces.

Oh, one other issue, I drive a very small car, and I don't have a rack. I was used to being able to put my road bike in the hatch inside the car..the Farley did get in my car but it took up 2x as much space, the front wheel had to go where the passenger seat was (I have removed the passenger seat). Now I don't expect a Marlin to fit like my skinny wheeled road bike did, but I'd probably be able to get it all in the back.
Dude - why did you buy the fatbike?

To me it's primarily for riding trails in the winter, with secondary use of riding trails in the summer. I use a drop-bar converted 90's hybrid with 35mm studded tires for winter commuting, it's definitely faster. The issue is if a trail is not cleared, the 35mm tire is going to have issues in snow once it's packed (fresh snow you'll tend to cut through it to the hard surface below)
There might be more areas with small trails near you than you think, I don't know. There were to me when I got the bike.
Old 12-08-22, 02:04 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
I think Buzz deleted all of his posts and made an exit like Karen. Seems he had a difficult time understanding how bikes and bike accessories work.
Likes For prj71:
Old 12-09-22, 01:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I think Buzz deleted all of his posts and made an exit like Karen. Seems he had a difficult time understanding how bikes and bike accessories work.
Karen who? I don't think we have recently had a Karen on this forum at least nobody who's handle was Karen. If you are referring to the silly name people use to attack people named Karen simply because there are people in this world who are terrible at life and act like jerks or entitled pond scum then I would suggest using a proper term that doesn't tear others down and not attacking people named Karen. They have done nothing wrong (unless one has in which case that is one individual and not indicative of all people named Karen as they are all different like all humans aside from identical twins maybe) and this is not a gendered issue either. Though do agree Buzzz did have an issues with bikes and bike accessories and understanding how they worked.
Old 12-09-22, 01:37 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Lighten up Meat Free Bike guy.

Not sure if you are being obtuse or just don't know, so I'll leave this here...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...t-does-it-mean

If you were following the post in the electronics forum Buzz was calling everyone Karen and then adding them to his ignore list.
Likes For prj71:
Old 12-12-22, 08:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Lighten up Meat Free Bike guy.

Not sure if you are being obtuse or just don't know, so I'll leave this here...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...t-does-it-mean

If you were following the post in the electronics forum Buzz was calling everyone Karen and then adding them to his ignore list.
More than just a diet but anywho. Nope I understand what he was doing I was there. Using someone's name as a weapon not because they have done wrong but because others have done wrong and nobody can be mature about it and call them out for what they are doing and have to use silly nicknames that actually harm people. Regardless of Buzzzzz doing it or not we don't need to follow in their grimy footsteps. We can be mature people here and call people out for doing wrong rather than just saying "Karen".

The reason I have said what I said because I know several Karens all of whom lovely people who aren't calling managers or cops or harassing people of color or anything like that. If anything one of them is a school teacher trying to help a student who is getting bullied and of course facing opposition from school administration because how dare someone try to stop bullying.