Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Quick 24 Sherpa

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-22, 12:54 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 241 Posts

Not sure if this is the right place or not so I trust the mods will move or delete accordingly.

I've spent nearly a year researching "next bikes" for my 8 year old daughter after learning/forgetting/relearning some important kids bikes lessons along the way. All of them are best summed up in this statement: Light weight and good fit are more important than we adults consider. She owned the road as well as paved trails and singletrack on a 16" Trek Precaliber purchased new. It was replaced with a used 20" Hotrock with hand brakes, 6 speeds, and suspension fork but never seemed confident on it. Add in a significant wipeout on more advanced singletrack and she was even less confident.

So after much research, reading, and deliberation paired with some dumb luck, I picked up a Quick 24" at REI. (I considered brands like Woom and Cleary but found myself leaning towards Trek and Cannondale, especially Cannondale after landing my Quick 1.)

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...quick-24-girls

The REI staff said they normally don't have the Quick 24 in stock but this was purchased online, directly shipped to the customer, bars were damaged in shipping, and returned to the store. A new replacement Quick 24 was ordered for the customer and the store repaired this one. The original bars were an OEM only size and they were not able to source it from their channels. The bar upgrade also required a stem upgraded - not an issue for me. (Plus, the upgraded bars make the bike look more like a small adults bike instead of a large kids bike.) I caught it before the final repairs were complete so the mechanic cut the bars to fit my daughter's needs. After adjusting the seat and the final setup, we brought it home with us.

Even on the first time out, she was more confident on the Quick 24 than the Hotrock. She started off in the top gear and did not complain then eventually rode it off a curb to get to the car. That would have never happed on the Hotrock.

So this thread will be a bit of a journal about the Quick 24 experience from a bike-savy dad's perspective.

Here are the immediate observations and things I like about it:
  • It is a really light bike! She picked it up and handed it to me when I was loading it into the car - definitely lighter than the Hotrock that it is replacing
  • The components are solid - Tourney 7speed will do all any kid really needs
  • 24x1.50 tires roll easily and offer a comfortable ride
  • She really likes the saddle that came on the bike (her statement without any prompting)
  • The pink color is very unique and visible.
  • REI setup is spot on.
  • Saddle is comfortable
  • Did I say it was really light and nimble?

Things I am not thrilled about:
  • Twist grip shifter like most kids bikes (easily remedied as the brakes are separate from the shifter assembly)
  • Cheap kickstand (not a Cannondale thing as far as I can tell and easily upgraded)
  • Brake handles have a large reach (look like adult assemblies)
I'll be posting up pics as I go and will try to keep this up to date as life allows.

Last edited by Trav1s; 12-29-22 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-29-22, 01:18 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Here are a few pics for reference.

The bike in the back of my 2005 Outback - definitely larger than the old 20" Hotrock but so much easier to load and unload.

The old Hotrock and the new Quick 24 next to each other for reference. I installed all of her kit from the Hotrock on the Q24 before these pics. She's especially fond of the kitty wearing headphones bell.

She commented that the Cannondale saddle is MUCH more comfortable than the saddle on the Hotrock. After looking at their contours, I understand why.

Headlight swapped to the Q24

Shimano Tourney 7 speed derailuer

Rear light and hot pink bottle holder installed.

The decals are similar to my Quick 1 but in different colors. Definitely can see the resemblance in the Quick family of bikes.

More pics of the decals. There is plenty of room between the chainstays for a larger tire - I'd guess a 2.00 would easily fit.

Full bike shot in the sun with the kit installed.

Another outside shot with kit.

Last edited by Trav1s; 12-29-22 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-29-22, 02:06 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

She's been on the bike for the last 30 minutes. I got my S-Works M2 down from the ceiling and we rode two laps together around one neighborhood circle. She's entirely different on the Quick 24. She has rediscovered her confidence and told me it is very easy to ride. She felt comfortable with the gears which leads to some serious speed. I'm guessing she is riding anywhere between 8 and 12 MPH on this one and suspect I will be in for a fast summer of riding with her.

Last edited by Trav1s; 12-29-22 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-29-22, 02:39 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

more pics

Old 12-29-22, 02:56 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Old 01-01-23, 03:31 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Mods, would this be better in the hybrid subforum?
Old 01-01-23, 08:11 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts

consider a lighter tire with smaller knobs / less rolling resistance

back in the day installed 24x1.75 Intense micro knobbies on some of my kid’s 24” bikes (pictured above)

don’t know if this particular tire is still available - but other similar 24” bmx race type tires should be available
Likes For t2p:
Old 01-02-23, 06:22 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

I have considered a tire swap and will likely do it in the spring. Since we are 99% gravel I have been considering something lighter and faster without compromising durability. She's already riding much faster so I cannot imagine what a tire swap would do.
Old 01-04-23, 07:19 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Looks like a great bike for a kid! According to the specs on Cannondale's site, the brake lever reach is adjustable. Looks like the brake cables are a bit slack in the pics, taking out the slack should decrease the pull a little, but maybe the levers aren't set for smaller hands?
If she doesn't like the grip shift, shouldn't be too difficult to change (or have it changed) to a trigger shifter. If not doing it yourself, maybe have a shop change the tires (which you mentioned) and adjust the brakes and brake lever reach and change out the shifter while they have it. Shouldn't be too expensive. Nothing like a nice bike, shows that kids can tell the difference too!
Old 01-04-23, 07:45 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Originally Posted by freeranger
Looks like a great bike for a kid! According to the specs on Cannondale's site, the brake lever reach is adjustable. Looks like the brake cables are a bit slack in the pics, taking out the slack should decrease the pull a little, but maybe the levers aren't set for smaller hands?
If she doesn't like the grip shift, shouldn't be too difficult to change (or have it changed) to a trigger shifter. If not doing it yourself, maybe have a shop change the tires (which you mentioned) and adjust the brakes and brake lever reach and change out the shifter while they have it. Shouldn't be too expensive. Nothing like a nice bike, shows that kids can tell the difference too!
thanks for the head up on the brake adjustment info. I’ll look into it this weekend. If she does not adapt to the grip then I’ll swap to triggers myself.
Old 01-04-23, 08:45 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

consider a lighter tire with smaller knobs / less rolling resistance

back in the day installed 24x1.75 Intense micro knobbies on some of my kid’s 24” bikes (pictured above)

don’t know if this particular tire is still available - but other similar 24” bmx race type tires should be available
Tioga Powerblock wire-bead would be the lightest, fastest, cheapest option going with BMX race tires. There actually isn't a lot of top tires available in cruiser size (24"), most are 20" only.
Old 01-05-23, 06:25 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Did some digging and found a trigger shifter option that I'm considering for the Q24. I'll see if the LBS has one in stock before the Amazon option:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...49VH4BIB&psc=1

Also researched tires and while I appreciate the suggestions for lighter and faster tires, I'll stick with the Kendas for now. I'd rather have a more durable tire for her.
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 01-06-23, 09:43 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by Trav1s
thanks for the head up on the brake adjustment info. I’ll look into it this weekend. If she does not adapt to the grip then I’ll swap to triggers myself.
issue with the shifters ?

they look similar to shifters that were on some of our kid’s bikes ... Shimano Revo something or another ... they worked great - and for kids (especially young kids) might be a better option than trigger type shifters
Old 01-06-23, 11:38 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Originally Posted by t2p
issue with the shifters ?

they look similar to shifters that were on some of our kid’s bikes ... Shimano Revo something or another ... they worked great - and for kids (especially young kids) might be a better option than trigger type shifters
It is a Shimano Revo and she seems to be doing well with it so I'll probably leave it alone. This bike is much easier to shift than her old one which helps.
Old 04-23-23, 06:08 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Spring update - My daughter hit the trails for the first time today on the Quick 24. She's grown a fair amount since I purchased the bike and I'm surprised how much the fit has improved. It's much easier than her old Hotrock in every aspect - lighter, more nimble, and stops better. Other than seeing Public Lands is selling this model for $50 than I paid at REI, I'm happy with the purchase. It's wearing the Kenda Smallblock Eight tire too. A tire swap will wait for warmer weather.

Last edited by Trav1s; 04-23-23 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-09-23, 10:45 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Lost past due update - This bike has not stopped even as weather has changed to fall. We've explored local trails and she rides around the neighborhood to catch up with frends. The Kenda Small Block 8 tires have worked well for her, she has adjusted to the grip shifter well. and now wants to continue making it her own bike. Future changes will likely include a new water bottle cage, water bottle, and whatever she finds along the way.

I did purchase a pair of 2.2 x 24" Specialized Rhythm Lites for the bike but did not want to purchase new tubes. I ended up installing them on another bike I picked up for her. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/rh...=228682-155751

I have a Sdg Fly Junior Steel Rail Saddle for her to try since she has stated her bottom gets sore on longer rides. Saddles for kids are limited and this one has many positive reviews: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSIW2VS...t_details&th=1

Nearly one year later, I'm very happy with the bike and so is she.

Last edited by Trav1s; 11-09-23 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-03-24, 04:00 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Mid-winter/almost spring update. This winter has been mild with many nice days and she's been riding this one about any chance she can get. I have no complaints about the bike and she's said nothing about problems. I'll say no news is good news.

I offered to swap the saddle and she did not like that idea so it will go on the bike we are building for her to replace the Quick 24. Everything is as purchased and holding up very well other than it needs a clean up and detail.

On a different note, I raised the saddle height on tit today… this will be her last season riding it if she keeps growing like she is.

Last edited by Trav1s; 03-03-24 at 04:07 PM.