Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

What gets you sick?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

What gets you sick?

Old 12-31-22, 08:10 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
What gets you sick?

What practices or habits can and will get you sick.

Asking those to share their experiences and to describe any habits they have formed or adopted to counter the cold. When riding on chilly days and cold nights. I’m new to cycling. I started at the end of summer. Sometimes I ride at night. So far I’ve been trying to figure out how much or how little to wear when heading out. I have a good idea on that but I feel like I do not know how to safely/wisely “cool down” or stay dry. To cool down I go shirtless for a few minutes then put my stuff back on. Which would be still moist with sweat and more cold since I had it off my body.
To counter this I’ve made it a habit to carry an extra shirt to thrown on instead on the one moist with sweat. Another thing I have started doing is wearing a mask to help me not breath in a total breath of cold air each time I inhale.
I also will rub my spare t shirt against my head to help Dry my hair from sweat whenever I get the chance when riding in the cold. I also cover my ears because I know the body looses a lot of body heat from the ears but the cold air passing over my ears hole is simply uncomfortable.

What to y’all do to help from getting sick during winter.
Old 01-01-23, 05:21 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The more I ride in the cold and expose myself to cold the less chance I have of getting sick...The only times I got sick was when I didn't ride enough in the cold. Riding in the cold seems to strengthen the immune system and make the body more resistant to getting sick.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-01-23, 09:21 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Just my opinion. I don't think weather, exposure to cold, breathing cold air, or sweaty clothes have anything to do with getting sick. I also don't know if riding in the cold strengthens an immune system, but I am not a doctor.

I wash my hands, wear a mask in public, exercise (including riding in cold weather), get restful sleep. Haven't even had a cold in over three years.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 01-01-23, 10:48 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
don't get wet & cold. avoid a "chill", layer smartly
Old 01-11-23, 05:56 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
When riding or doing any exercise outside for a prolonged time, the thing you really want to avoid is sweating. Sweating greatly reduces the ability of clothes to keep you warm especially cotton which takes forever to dry. I dress in layers and my outer layers are zipped so that I can open them easily to vent excess heat BEFORE I start to sweat.

When I was in the military and took Winter Warfare Courses, the first thing they taught us is that sweating in winter can kill.

Cheers