Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

The Age 40+ Singlespeed & Fixed Gear Thread

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

The Age 40+ Singlespeed & Fixed Gear Thread

Old 08-21-22, 07:37 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
I've already posted this in the regular Post your SSFG thread, but I guess I'll post it here as well, since I'm well over 40 years old.

So, after nearly 6 years, I've finally built a new bike. This time it's an All City Bike Block, something I've had on the drawing board for over a decade. The frameset was purchased on eBay for $549, which is $200 less than the current MSRP. I installed a Cane Creek S3 headset that I had in my parts bin. I wanted this to be an all-road type bike that could even do some single-track on occasion. So, I spec'd Panaracer GravelKing SS+ tires, 32mm in the front and 35mm in the rear. Unfortunately, although the 32mm fits fine in the front, the 35mm will not fit in the rear, rubbing on the seatstays even with the wheel axle moved to the very end of the dropout. So, in order to get the bike on the road, I've temporarily installed a 32mm Panaracer Pasela ProTite in the rear until I can source a 32mm GravelKing. The wheelset was built at Retrogression with H+Son Archetype rims and Grand Compe LF hubs that weighs only 1650g. The cranks are Andel Deluxe with no logos. Bar and stem are Nitto, seatpost is Alpina, saddle is Charge Spoon, cog is Soma, chain is KMC K1SL, pedals are Shimano PD-M520, brake caliper is Dia-Compe BRS-101, brake lever is Dia-Compe Tech 99 and grips are ESI Extra Chunky. Some of these components were sourced from my parts bin. Total cost is just under $1800. Total weight is just over 20 lbs.

All City Big Block in Midnight/Frost/Violet

All City Big Block cockpit

All City Big Block rear view

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 08-21-22 at 07:44 PM.
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 08-21-22, 08:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
First time on this thread. Question - does my Peter Mooney qualify? It's only been a fix gear since 2017 though it passed its 40th birthday 3 years ago.

And it's not a single speed. In fact it usually carries 3 ratios; typically 46-14, 42-17 and 36-21 though it's been known to go on flat riders with just two of 16, 17, 18 and 19 (with the 42). But it has seen nothing but fix gear since I converted it. (Now I passed that 40 year mark a while ago but this thread is about the bikes, right?)

That Mooney (named Pete; not the Peter of either its builder or my brother or uncle, just Pete) will be going for its/his first Cycle Oregon in three weeks. The Painted Hills of Oregon, fittingly enough under a new and snazzy paint job. And sewups! I'm returning to the rubber I so love and trust. (Blew off/out - I didn't do the forensics - an old clincher going 20 a few years ago. It came off and sent me for a crash I never want to do again and that I cannot remove from my mind going downhill (and comes up in nightmares fairly regularly). The 40+ mph blowouts on sewups in my racing days? I cannot remember if I did it once, twice or even which wheel it was. I just rolled to a stop, changed the tire and went on. NBD.

I had this bike made with horizontal dropouts even though verticals were the new thing and what Peter Mooney did, just so I could run fix gear if I ever wanted to. It spent nearly all of its first 20 years on sewups. Putting the fix gear wheel on and riding - it was "this is what this bike is made to do!" A classic road bike in the tradition of the elegant English road fix gears. Now it has big, cushy 28c sewups (Vittoria Corsa G+ Controls). About as nice as I've ever ridden though without the magic of far east silk and without that silk's aversion to water. Current rims are Mavic GP4s, very, very nice but quite heavy. I have some GEL330s laced to beautiful gold Suzue track hubs. Most gorgeous wheels I've ever seen and easily best built. Tied and soldered perfectly. Showcase wheels. Never seen a brake pad or road. When the time is right, I'll glue on 200g Corsa Speeds. Pete will be in heaven. (So will I.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-22-22, 06:57 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 72 Posts
Yet another in my series of old Treks, this one an '84 610 converted to 700c and fixed gear:

I was 12 when this bike was new.
Likes For seat_boy:
Old 08-22-22, 07:07 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
I've already posted this in the regular Post your SSFG thread, but I guess I'll post it here as well, since I'm well over 40 years old.

So, after nearly 6 years, I've finally built a new bike. This time it's an All City Bike Block, something I've had on the drawing board for over a decade. The frameset was purchased on eBay for $549, which is $200 less than the current MSRP. I installed a Cane Creek S3 headset that I had in my parts bin. I wanted this to be an all-road type bike that could even do some single-track on occasion. So, I spec'd Panaracer GravelKing SS+ tires, 32mm in the front and 35mm in the rear. Unfortunately, although the 32mm fits fine in the front, the 35mm will not fit in the rear, rubbing on the seatstays even with the wheel axle moved to the very end of the dropout. So, in order to get the bike on the road, I've temporarily installed a 32mm Panaracer Pasela ProTite in the rear until I can source a 32mm GravelKing. The wheelset was built at Retrogression with H+Son Archetype rims and Grand Compe LF hubs that weighs only 1650g. The cranks are Andel Deluxe with no logos. Bar and stem are Nitto, seatpost is Alpina, saddle is Charge Spoon, cog is Soma, chain is KMC K1SL, pedals are Shimano PD-M520, brake caliper is Dia-Compe BRS-101, brake lever is Dia-Compe Tech 99 and grips are ESI Extra Chunky. Some of these components were sourced from my parts bin. Total cost is just under $1800. Total weight is just over 20 lbs.

All City Big Block in Midnight/Frost/Violet

All City Big Block cockpit

All City Big Block rear view
Oh man, that looks nice. Congrats on finally being able to scratch that itch, too.
The reverse happened to me. Saved up my nickels and dimes to get me a new Wabi Special when one became available and now that they are, I can’t pull the trigger on it. The wife says all of the pandemic projects I picked up during lockdown are enough. She might be right as I acquired a few. But none are the Wabi I been wanting…
Old 08-23-22, 12:32 PM
EJM73

Bikes: 1980's Viner Track Bike, Litespeed M1

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 43 Posts
That is a sharp bike!
Old 11-05-22, 05:04 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked 892 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
That Mooney (named Pete; not the Peter of either its builder or my brother or uncle, just Pete) will be going for its/his first Cycle Oregon in three weeks.
How did Cycle Oregon go on Pete? Thank you for the great description of the bike, its setup, and your feelings about it. I like what you said about the early British bikes. All of those time trials (on rutty roads) were on fixed-gear. It's amazing the times they were able to pull, too.
Old 11-05-22, 05:50 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
How did I miss the July incarnation of this thread?

OK, I admit to being over 40...and apparently starting to miss stuff.

But you gotta admit guys over 40 have some nice bikes, amirite?
Old 11-07-22, 11:19 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
How did I miss the July incarnation of this thread?

OK, I admit to being over 40...and apparently starting to miss stuff.

But you gotta admit guys over 40 have some nice bikes, amirite?
I miss lots of stuff, but I don't think mine is age related 🤔

I missed this thread, as I was in my 30s when I first started on the forum and now have matured into an over 40 (where does the time go?!)

Some beautiful bikes on this forum. Gives me a lot of inspiration. I saw a guy on the path yesterday, almost 60, riding a single speed conversion.
Old 11-18-22, 09:14 PM
testertips

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Closer to 50 than 40... just put this together. Got into lacing wheels recently as well... such a lovely ride.
Old 11-19-22, 09:35 AM
Chad1376

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kind of a repost from 2011. You'll find the same bike back on page 5. It's been sitting dormant in my garage for awhile, and it was time to dig it back out and start riding again (yah, I'm fighting some post lockdown and continued work-at-home weight gain.) It's a budget-build based on an old Cannondale. Sketchy juggling with a half link, cog size, not quite all the way in the dropouts, and massive torque on the axle nuts. It's not ideal, but it works..

Motivation to keep riding? I really want to build up fixed gear on a classic Itallian lugged frame, quality wheels with an Eno hub, and shiny Italian bits everywhere. I need to get in better shape and commited before I can justify that, though.

Last edited by Chad1376; 11-19-22 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-19-22, 11:11 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
It just dawned on me that not only do I qualify for this (with almost 30 years to spare) but one of my fix gears and next year another qualify. My Peter Mooney has run fixed since 2017 (yeah, only 5 years but it was ordered 44 years ago with horizontal dropouts so if I ever wanted to go fixed, I could). And my workhorse winter/rain/city '83 Trek fix gear, purchased as a frame to replace the just crashed Miyata 610 - 40 years next year. (Frame was probably built by late fall of '82.)

If we re-titled this thread to "40+ Years of Single Speed and Fixed Gear Riding", I'd still qualify. So would the Trek, but now in the context of it being the latest frame of an ongoing bike that simply has everything, frames included, replaced at least 4 times. (The original frame, a '67 Peugeot UO-8, went fix gear in 1976.)
Old 11-23-22, 05:27 PM
RVRBTR

Bikes: 1985 Trek 670, 1990 Trek 930, 1992 Trek 790, 1996 Trek 930, 1997 Bianchi Campione De Italia, 2000 Burley Samba

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Add Another One.... 62 Year Old Rider, 38 Year Old Bike

Hi Folks, Just did my first single speed ride in nearly 50 years. Been riding multi-speeds since the early 70's, and I turn 63 next month. The bike is (was?) a 1984 Trek 460 built from various pieces I had lying around. Turning 42 x 19 gears with 700 x 28mm tires, giving me roughly 59 gear inches. I'll probably bump that to around 65 inches in the spring. I didn't really miss the gearing options on my mostly flat 8 mile ride, but standing to climb a couple mild hills took some adjustment time. >>Happy Thankgiving All<<
Old 11-30-22, 12:35 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I'm 62, recently picked up a '88 Dave Scott Ironman Expert the P/O had converted to ss/fg. It's my first foray into FG and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm a randonneur; we'll see how far I want to go on FG.

I've replaced the flat bars with drops and lowered the gearing to 42x16. That'll do for mods for the time being. When the 25mm tires wear out I'll put on some 28s for long distance comfort. I'd go wider but that's the limit.

If it turns out I like this FG rando thing, I'll have to upgrade. Wider tires, fenders, dyno. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll do a series of 100k ride, and see how I feel about carrying on.
Old 12-02-22, 05:37 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie

So, after nearly 6 years, I've finally built a new bike. This time it's an All City Bike Block,
Very nice!
What size frame is that?
I had my eyes set on a Big Block the other year as well - specifically this colorway as well cause I really love it.
Old 12-02-22, 06:24 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
Very nice!
What size frame is that?
I had my eyes set on a Big Block the other year as well - specifically this colorway as well cause I really love it.
Thanks ! It's a 46cm, the smallest size they make.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 09-22-23, 05:08 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 166 Posts
I just found this thread and read most of the pages. I'm building up a 1951 Rudge Aero Clubman with a flip-flop Normandy track hub, 19 teeth fixed, 20/16 freewheel. This thread is an inspiration! Last time I regularly rode fixed was when I was training with the Temple University cycling team in 2009. A slow-speed crash with a car door and a bus ended cycling for me for over a year due to a SLAP tear in my left shoulder. After the repair was done, the VA dragged their feet on getting me in PT and the arm healed up with a lot less range of motion. I couldn't even tuck into a drop bar without my left elbow sticking out like a crab. Finished undergrad in 2011, life, moving a lot, and a lot of cycling on multi-geared bikes, but none of the good workout of simply standing up to push down on the pedals.

So now I'm building up the Clubman and reading old threads on BF, and here I am. The bike is waiting on a few things but will be done within a week or so. I can't wait to get out on a longer ride on this "new" bicycle. Now that I've been reading so much about folks my age and older, riding SS and FG, I feel inspired to do it more, perhaps another bike is in order...
Old 09-22-23, 06:59 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
I'm 62 now and have struggled to get time enough to get back out on the bike. I've posted this one a few times through the years, but this is my Mercian Vincitore which was actually built to be a long-distance, century/brevet kind of bike. Had I known then what I know now, I would have spec'ed forward facing long horizontal dropouts and room for 32 mm tire with mudguards, but oh, well. After riding my Raleigh Competition conversion with Crank Brothers Eggbeaters, I decided to try it on this bike and have been very pleased so far. If I rode in mountainous terrain I might feel differently, but so far so good! The second photo is just a gratuitous photo from before the pedal change on one of my favorite local side roads.

Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 09-23-23, 02:09 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
I'm 68 and still riding fixed. I did lower the gearing early in the season, intending to bump it up again once I got in shape, but somehow it's stayed with the lower gearing all season.
Old 09-23-23, 07:13 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
JDThompson.....you're a better/braver man then I.
Riding fixed scares the crap out of me and at 63yo I'm not going to start lol.
Here are my 3 SS.
Specialized Langster, Globe Roll2 and (my latest) United Motocross BMX.

Old 09-23-23, 08:56 PM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 63 Posts
That specialized langster looks like it would be fun to ride.
If you have flip flop hubs you might try fixed again.
It is not too scary with brakes once you get used to the feel of it. The first time I flipped back to ss from fixed after a few years I crashed. I just slowed my cadence thinking I would slow down, and crashed right into the runner I was riding with. It took a bit to get used to the whole coasting thing again.
now I try to do both occasionally so I don’t lose the feel and habit.
Old 09-23-23, 09:22 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts

Latest iteration of the Detroit Bikes Sparrow project. New carbon fork, going back to disc plus room for 32mm, has fender mounts.

Currently fixed, used as my commuter plus the occasional 100k and rare 200k. Aspirations for a 300k, maybe next summer.

Someday I'll get matching wheels.
Old 09-24-23, 06:56 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Swampthing
That specialized langster looks like it would be fun to ride.
If you have flip flop hubs you might try fixed again.
My Langster has flip flop hubs. The last time I rode fixed was on my Big Wheel.
I have nightmares about slipping off the pedals and getting slammed by the cranks down steep hills and/or making sharp turns with the inside pedal down.
I know there are ways to prevent this from happening but all it takes is one incident and this old fart will down for a bit.....
Old 09-26-23, 02:41 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
My Langster has flip flop hubs. The last time I rode fixed was on my Big Wheel.
I have nightmares about slipping off the pedals and getting slammed by the cranks down steep hills and/or making sharp turns with the inside pedal down.
I know there are ways to prevent this from happening but all it takes is one incident and this old fart will down for a bit.....
the more times you go down the better you be when you get up .....................annnnnnnd FWIW "nightmares" are just almost good dreams that twist so sleep well and get FIXed
Old 09-27-23, 05:25 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
1000!

Early 80s Schwinn Traveler. 3916 fixed with an 18 tooth Freewheel. Gatorskins 27 in rear, 700c Front. Going to replace the rear with a 700c soon.

Last edited by stevel610; 09-27-23 at 07:54 PM.
Likes For stevel610:
Old 09-27-23, 05:37 PM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 63 Posts
Riding Chrome today.

I have two rear wheels for this. One is fixed gear, but
today I channeled my inner 12 year old and used the coaster brake.
It was actually kind of fun once I got kind of accustomed accustomed to coasting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.