Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Shifting a recumbent trike

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 04-24-21, 07:05 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts

I got this trike at a yard sale today. The crank has 2 sprockets but no derailleur, is it missing or do you move the chain by hand?
Old 04-25-21, 11:53 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Made by Penninger

Yes. If there is no post for a derailleur that means you have to stop the trike and shift the chain from one chainring to another. It's pretty unusual but not unheard of. . The trike made by Penninger may have had an additional part as shown in this picture on Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/150729918748742443/). And from a description on Bentrider dating back to the past "Penninger advertises the bike as a 64 speed with its eight speed mid-drive system. However, the bike is technically a 128 speed. It does have a double crankset up front that can be shifted by hand, but there is no front derailleur. I’m sure that many of these gear ranges are duplicates, but I never found myself lacking for any high or low gear inches." ::: Penninger Voyager :::
Looks like it was a very expensive trike for one that weighs north of 50 pounds. Interesting though to read how it works. I've heard the name in the past but never saw a picture of one before.
Old 05-27-21, 07:28 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Penninger is/was a custom builder. He seemed to enjoy creating unnecessarily complicated bikes. I remember seeing one that used a 'floating' chainring as some sort of idler. Looked very prone to falling off.
Old 07-05-22, 12:00 PM
lefty4rocs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I just bought a penninger but it has a bent rear wheel. do you still have your Penninger, and if so and you did not fix it, could I buy it for parts?
Thank you, Larry
Old 07-05-22, 01:35 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

It would be a lot more cost effective to just replace the rim and have the wheel trued. The problem with rear wheels on a delta trike and front wheels on a tadpole trike is that they don't fit a regular truing stand because the axle is on the trike instead of coming off with the wheel. If you can find a recumbent shop they may be able to fix your wheel.

From the looks of the trike shown by Oldsledz, it would likely just take a new chain and a new set of tires to get it back on the road. It would be a shame to part it out with it being so complete.
Old 07-05-22, 03:34 PM
lefty4rocs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
It would be a lot more cost effective to just replace the rim and have the wheel trued. The problem with rear wheels on a delta trike and front wheels on a tadpole trike is that they don't fit a regular truing stand because the axle is on the trike instead of coming off with the wheel. If you can find a recumbent shop they may be able to fix your wheel.

From the looks of the trike shown by Oldsledz, it would likely just take a new chain and a new set of tires to get it back on the road. It would be a shame to part it out with it being so complete.
Un fortunately, the parts for penninger recumbents are almost non-existent. I have had the bile in the best repair shop in Tucson for 3 months now and they tell me the rim is a special made one and is on backorder and they do not know when it might get here, if ever. I would hate to get rid of the trike for that but my options seem very limited. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 07-05-22, 07:15 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
lefty4rocs have you tried Ajo Bikes, they have come through for me on some odd things.
Old 07-06-22, 07:39 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
That sure seems to be like Penninger made them. Tank-style steering when standard USS would have been so simple. I can't see, but is it one-wheel driver or is there a second freewheel for a sort of differential? It was apparently intended to shift between chainrings by hand. I find it difficult to believe that the rear wheel's rim is anything special, but maybe it's not made anymore and will be hard to match? In that case I'd recommend taking the rim off the front wheel for it, and then replacing the front wheel with something that while not matching would at least be close.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 07-13-22, 08:43 AM
arider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trike hubs/ rims

I have a Penniger Trike, actually, we have 2 of them.
The rims are Velocity. Velocity builds wheels, as does any competent shop.
The wheel hubs are Phil Wood wheel chair hubs. The axle/bolt on the rear can be removed. I have included text from Phil about this.

The axles and bearings on those hubs are pressed in so in order to remove the axle/bearings you will need access to a press
and some sort of fixtures that will support the hub shell while still allowing the bearings to remain un-obscured.
We have a bench mounted Arbor press and custom fixtures we made in our machine shop.

With the hub placed in fixture and the axle pointed up press on the end on the axle. the axle is shouldered on the inside
so the axle will press the bearing out on the bottom side as it is pressed out. Once the bearing/axle is out on the one
side the hub shell will need to be flipped over and placing a wooden dowel about 1" in diameter into the bore of the hub shell
and press out the other side bearing.
You have the option to send the hubs/ wheels to us for the service as well if you so choose.

To reinstall it is pretty much the same process just in reverse.

Feel free to contact me. I live Near Yuma AZ
Andrew
Old 07-14-22, 07:48 AM
VegasTriker

It might be time to reassess your statement "I have had the bile in the best repair shop in Tucson". Velocity brand rims are hardly unobtainable. You can order them in various iterations from the manufacturer or other online sites. The ones used on one of my trikes are 32 hole ISO 406 rims. No problem finding them but the cost is around $116 https://www.ebay.com/itm/185260582039. If you had to replace the entire wheel including the Phil Wood hub, it would probably cost more than the trike is worth. Velocity has the rim in both 20" and 16" sizes.

I have replaced sealed bearings on a Velocity trike hub without any specialized equipment. I pressed the new ones in with a socket that would fit in the opening but only contact the bearing on the outer edges so you were not pushing on the center of the bearing. Getting the old ones out was a bit harder and as long as you don't intend to reuse the old ones you don't care much if you damage them a bit.