Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Top quality mechanical disc brakes short list

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Top quality mechanical disc brakes short list

Old 02-18-22, 06:36 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by zen_
The HY/RD's are super simple to setup and maintain, and they work almost as well as fully hydraulic brakes with compressionless housing and cables in good order. The only problem with them really is that if you ride a ton of miles and / or frequently in poor weather, the cost of replacing good quality housing more frequently negates the cost savings compared to full hydraulic. They will, however, still be much easier to setup and adjust for people that are only familiar with cable brakes.
Yep, this is #1 and the Spyres are #2. I ride both. We install the Hy/RD on many Ultegra bikes with cable levers when the customer wants a top performing disc. Use COMPRESSIONLESS HOUSING with which ever you choose however and it makes a world of difference.
Old 02-19-22, 03:21 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I recently added a basic adventure bike with a 2x10-Speed Shimano Tiagra groupset and Lyra mechanical disc brakes from Tektro. While I wanted mechanical disc brakes to help simplify set-up and maintenance, the reviews on the Tektro Lyra brakes are consistently negative. What replacement flat mount mechanical calipers would you recommend? I'm researching Paul Klampers and TRP HY/RD but will consider other advanced alternatives.
I went down the same rabbit hole. After fiddling with my TRPs for a year or more, I eventually bit the bullet and got me a pair of st-4725 tiagra hydro brifters and calipers. I'm happy I did. Its just better. I may offset the cost selling the used mechanical parts.
Old 02-19-22, 03:42 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by zen_
The HY/RD's are super simple to setup and maintain, and they work almost as well as fully hydraulic brakes with compressionless housing and cables in good order. The only problem with them really is that if you ride a ton of miles and / or frequently in poor weather, the cost of replacing good quality housing more frequently negates the cost savings compared to full hydraulic. They will, however, still be much easier to setup and adjust for people that are only familiar with cable brakes.

Ahh, not really. Hydros are not that hard to install. For me the hardest part was routing the hoses through the frame and fork, same has new cables, and squashing one olive. Other than than that my first ever hydro install was event free. I did take longer than usual, but thats to be expected when its all new and foreign. I do recommend getting (or makeing) a bleed kit, a hose cutter and barb tool (you can use a sharp knife, a small hammer and patience), some extra fluid and a few extra olives and barbs. Then watch a bunch of YT videos to prepare.

After the initial install Id argue maintenance is much less than what I had before with the mech TRPs.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 02-20-22, 06:06 AM
skom25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I like TRP Spyre, especially for such an easy adjustment. I have QR axles, so after mounting wheel there is quite often need to adjust caliper a little. With TRP I do not have to move whole caliper, because it is possible to adjust both pads separately. Very easy, quick and precise work.

My advice is to use compresionless housings. Lever feels much better than on standard. Brake pads are very average, but because it is standard Shimano shape from lower level brakes, good aftermarket spares are quite cheap.
Old 02-20-22, 02:17 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Ahh, not really. Hydros are not that hard to install.
They are not hard after you have done a few and have the tools, but it's still more difficult than the HY/RD setup, which is possibly the easiest brake in the world to setup since it has the ease of cable setup + self centers the pads as a hydraulic caliper.
Old 02-22-22, 05:44 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
What do you guys think of the Promax Decode R?
Old 02-22-22, 06:15 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-25-22, 01:41 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I guess what I'm saying is, yeah maybe they keep some stuff out but if conditions are bad enough (like Mid South), then in the end it doesn't matter, they'll get messed up. Also, the covers fall off easily. Also, they don't cover the "arms" and like you said those are hard to clean out. I have a set that don't retract fully because the arm pivots are compromised with sand and grit.
Also, maybe its different in cyclocross but it would seem like the cover would trap a bunch of gunk like mud and grass that gets picked up from the rotor and ends up building up along the bottom of the caliper. Without a place for the gunk to flush out it would constantly contaminate the pads. I've only used the older spyres without the cover though
Old 02-26-22, 09:58 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
What do you guys think of the Promax Decode R?
Promax is complete garbage and is only found on wallmart bikes.
Old 02-27-22, 09:37 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Promax is complete garbage and is only found on wallmart bikes.
Anyone with actual experience using Promax brakes..? or..
Old 02-27-22, 02:40 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Promax is... er.... something to upgrade from...
Old 02-27-22, 02:57 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
I had Promax long-reach sidepulls on my Mercier Nano, so not only Walmart…but yeah, they were rubbish. I replaced them with Tektro, which were better.
Old 02-27-22, 08:16 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Anyone with actual experience using Promax brakes..? or..
I have used them. They technically stop the bike, slowly and in a very spongy fashion.
Old 03-02-22, 08:27 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
I'm running Juin Tech R1 on my Fog Cutter and they have been trouble free for over 4000 miles. I like the easier lever pull from the tops vs a full mechanical like the BB7, sort of in the middle of mechanical and full hydro. I don't have any experience with the Spyre.

I recently put on a set of Paul Klampers on my mountain bike, but don't have enough riding time to give an opinion.
I now have some miles on the Klampers and I have been quite impressed. They are being used on my mountain bike (flat bar, short pull) and the stopping power is excellent. It has taken me longer than expected to get the caliper adjusted, but this may be due to me wanting to get the position perfect. The lever feel is different than hydro, but I can still stop with 1 finger in most situations. The size of the klamper caliper may limit install options on some bikes as well.

As to whether than are worth nearly 3x more than Juin Tech R1 would depend on the application. The R1 are on my road / gravel bike with drop bars and the stopping power is more than sufficient. However, I don't bomb down dirt trails on this bike. I've heard that the fluid can overheat on hybrid brakes due to the small reservoir, and for this reason, I went with the Klampers on my mountain bike.

Note that full hydro brakes will stop just as good, if not better, than the Klampers, with less expense, but there is something about cable pull brakes that I like. I do expect the Klampers to last longer than the average hydro caliper.

Likes For katsup:
Old 03-03-22, 08:43 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by walnutz
I have used them. They technically stop the bike, slowly and in a very spongy fashion.
​​​​​I would say that the Promax brakes stop very well and have good feel; no issues with them whatsoever. Poor braking performance could mean the pads were bedded in yet.

This is in direct comparison to the Shimano Deore MT-500 hydraulic brakes on my XC bike, which has a 180mm front rotor. Obviously a rather good basis of comparison.
Old 03-03-22, 05:41 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
​​​​​I would say that the Promax brakes stop very well and have good feel; no issues with them whatsoever. Poor braking performance could mean the pads were bedded in yet.

This is in direct comparison to the Shimano Deore MT-500 hydraulic brakes on my XC bike, which has a 180mm front rotor. Obviously a rather good basis of comparison.
Interesting, good to know.
Old 03-05-22, 08:21 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I now have some miles on the Klampers and I have been quite impressed. They are being used on my mountain bike (flat bar, short pull) and the stopping power is excellent. It has taken me longer than expected to get the caliper adjusted, but this may be due to me wanting to get the position perfect. The lever feel is different than hydro, but I can still stop with 1 finger in most situations. The size of the klamper caliper may limit install options on some bikes as well.

As to whether than are worth nearly 3x more than Juin Tech R1 would depend on the application. The R1 are on my road / gravel bike with drop bars and the stopping power is more than sufficient. However, I don't bomb down dirt trails on this bike. I've heard that the fluid can overheat on hybrid brakes due to the small reservoir, and for this reason, I went with the Klampers on my mountain bike.

Note that full hydro brakes will stop just as good, if not better, than the Klampers, with less expense, but there is something about cable pull brakes that I like. I do expect the Klampers to last longer than the average hydro caliper.
Excellent review, thank you
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 03-06-22, 08:43 AM
dwmckee

I've heard that the fluid can overheat on hybrid brakes due to the small reservoir, and for this reason, I went with the Klampers on my mountain bike.
If you search online enough, you can hear just about everything. Often opinions intertwined with facts. We install the Hy/RDs on a lot of bikes with heavy riders that want better performing cable brakes. We never have any problems, and our riders ride up and down Pittsburgh hills all day.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 03-06-22, 02:11 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
If you search online enough, you can hear just about everything. Often opinions intertwined with facts. We install the Hy/RDs on a lot of bikes with heavy riders that want better performing cable brakes. We never have any problems, and our riders ride up and down Pittsburgh hills all day.
And for every result there is someone saying it works

I've always wanted to try the klampers. It came down to full hydro or klampers in the end and decided to spend the ~$100 more and go for the klampers. Shortly after purchasing, a pair of new XT 4 piston hydro with levers appeared on the market for $150, had those appeared before I bought the klampers, my bike would of had those..
Old 03-29-22, 12:40 PM
pyze-guy
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I’ve used bb7, spyre and now hy/rd.
bb7 are nice, loud and need adjustment.
Spyres are super easy to setup, super easy adjustment when needed and aren’t prohibitively expensive. Uses same pads as shimano. They don’t work as well with older Shimano brifters. When matched with compressionless housing very good brakes.
Hy/rd, again super easy to setup. With compressionless really nice feel, stopping power and modulation. Really poor match with older Shimano levers. If you use cross top levers no issues with braking. Expensive though.
If I was on a budget I’d get spyres, otherwise hy/rd. They are IMO worth the extra $$. I’ve had no issues with mine in any riding condition. Better in rain/cold/snow than the spyres too.
Another nice thing about the trp brakes is they are fixable. Trp sells all the parts to fix them from cable bolt to seals/ pistons etc. and specs on how to repair them.
Become reality to me
Likes For pyze-guy:
Old 11-09-22, 03:05 PM
janthenat

Bikes: 1995 GT Tequesta, 20?? Miele Toscana 300

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts
For reference, having used none of these because I'm shopping... Short-pull dual-piston mechanical disc brakes, in no particular order (surely there are others):
Old 11-11-22, 05:03 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
I've worn through the stock pads on my TRP Spyres, on another set now, and I have to say - I like these brakes but they are definitely getting compressionless housing at some point
Old 11-12-22, 05:01 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 899 Times in 587 Posts
A friend of mine has installed shimano XT780 disc brakes on his surly gravel bike, he told me that it was a very noticable upgrade compared to the hayes he installed has before. Another friend who I rode with on a trail ride recently had shimano GRX disc brakes as OEM equipment on his independant fabrication gravel bike, very smooth and efficient braking. Depends of your budget, but I would go with XT780 disc brakes,very reliable and durable.
Old 12-02-22, 12:06 AM
MattyWillPDX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I ride with Paul Klampers and like them. Prior I had BB7 and they were easier to get adjusted but less stopping power.
I'm kinda interested in the Yokazuna brakes that I've heard people liking. A hybrid mechanical but with a hydraulic reservoir at the caliper. Seems like a cool ideer?
Old 12-02-22, 06:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
I had juintech f1 brakes, which are the Yokazuna brakes, along with compression less housing. I used them for 1 year and they were fine. Not great, but they stopped me. Canti brakes stop me too, for what that's worth.

I sold the juintech for almost what I paid for them and bought hydraulic 105 brakes. They are more difficult to set up, obviously, but work fine. Not great, but they stop me.

Maybe I have low standards? I just need brakes to stop me so that's a pretty easy bar to clear.
Or maybe I still need to try some magical brakes that exist and I don't know about?

I'm fine with my 105 hydraulics for the next X years. The levers are comfortable and pads are easy to change.
I won't think about brakes again until someone comes out with a brake that has more rotor clearance. That will be the next big thing to get me to care.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.