Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Impossible Hybrids

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Impossible Hybrids

Old 12-02-22, 09:25 PM
  #1  
prairiepedaler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Winnipeg - traffic ticket central
Posts: 1,508

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 167 Posts
Impossible Hybrids

I have been keeping an eye peeled for an older steel framed hybrid for quite some time now. They just were not that popular up here it seems. That being the case, an XL one will be even more difficult to find. This leaves more modern a better option. I have heard the Jamis Coda Sport is a good one which can be had inexpensively for the most part.

Does your area have the same problem ... That is, absense of 1990's & early 2000's hybrids?
prairiepedaler is offline  
Old 12-03-22, 09:48 PM
  #2  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 11,150

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked 2,722 Times in 1,819 Posts
I built my hybrid in 2015 out of a New Albion Privateer and some parts I had. Pretty fun build and one of my favorites and one I cannot think of replacing. It has linear pull brakes, 1x9 shifting and a set of Moloko bars. Build your own and you can build your dream.
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-04-22, 04:40 AM
  #3  
Trav1s
Deraill this!
 
Trav1s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Just north of Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 241

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Quick 1, 1994 Specialized S-Works M2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 75 Posts
https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2023-muirwoods#buy

Might be worth considering or spend some time on Marin's site and see what the offer.
Trav1s is offline  
Old 12-04-22, 07:01 PM
  #4  
prairiepedaler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Winnipeg - traffic ticket central
Posts: 1,508

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 167 Posts
I'm very value conscious and hate to even buy a new bike part let alone a whole new bike. There are just so many, many bikes out there. I always look for used first and there were many a hybrid made during those years but I think they were more regional in popularity. Today they might call them a fitness bike. I'd prefer good ol' steel and cantilever brakes. I did see a Muirwoods not too long ago actually, offered by a local bike shop that was closing its' doors. But, the quest is for earlier hybrids.
prairiepedaler is offline  
Old 12-05-22, 08:49 AM
  #5  
Kobe 
Senior Member
 
Kobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Schwenksville, Pa
Posts: 2,810

Bikes: '80 Mercian Olympic, '07 Rivendell AHH, '16 Clockwork All-Rounder, '22 New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 146 Posts
How tall are you? Be careful some XL's may be too small and you may want to look at XXL's.

I have a 1990 Trek 720 and the 23" is too small for me at 6'6".

I did the same as veganbikes and made my own out of a New Albion Privateer. The 23" Trek is now up for sale.
__________________
Kobe is offline  
Old 12-05-22, 09:52 AM
  #6  
prairiepedaler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Winnipeg - traffic ticket central
Posts: 1,508

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 167 Posts
Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
How tall are you? Be careful some XL's may be too small and you may want to look at XXL's.

I have a 1990 Trek 720 and the 23" is too small for me at 6'6".

I did the same as veganbikes and made my own out of a New Albion Privateer. The 23" Trek is now up for sale.
Hi, you've a couple inches north of this guy and it is certainly true - an XXL is a better choice for 6'4" and up. I'd found the bike I'd been looking for for years but it was only an XL. Too bad. I haven't called the company to ask how many XXL they had made (they did make them) but probably should. Some companies tend to be conservative in their sizing, but not Rocky Mountain. The 720 you've got there would just fit, assuming a 23" top tube. I had a 1987 raleigh elkhorn mountain bike with similar square dimensions (23/23) that worked fine, this assumes an older hybrid and an older mountain bike would have similar geometrys.
prairiepedaler is offline  
Old 12-05-22, 09:55 AM
  #7  
prairiepedaler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Winnipeg - traffic ticket central
Posts: 1,508

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 167 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
I built my hybrid in 2015 out of a New Albion Privateer and some parts I had. Pretty fun build and one of my favorites and one I cannot think of replacing. It has linear pull brakes, 1x9 shifting and a set of Moloko bars. Build your own and you can build your dream.
Are those Albions a chinese build? Looks nice, kind of like a Velo Orange type offering.
prairiepedaler is offline  
Old 12-05-22, 02:01 PM
  #8  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 11,150

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked 2,722 Times in 1,819 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
Are those Albions a chinese build? Looks nice, kind of like a Velo Orange type offering.
It's Soma so they are welded in Taiwan using Tange Infinity tubing. For the price it is a really nice frame and many years later really zero complaints at least none I can really make that is fair. It is excellent quality and a fun bike that a lot of people enjoy riding it is the one bike I have loaned out to others and people have all liked it. Granted it is a combination of things but the frame is comfortable and paired with the ridiculous stack it is a super upright bike. I have a ton of spacers on top of a really long headtube so it is really nice and upright.
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-05-22, 07:59 PM
  #9  
prairiepedaler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Winnipeg - traffic ticket central
Posts: 1,508

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 167 Posts
$700 for just a frame though is out of my league. Can buy many bikes for that. My current ride (Kuwahara Sage) was about $40.
prairiepedaler is offline  
Old 12-05-22, 10:51 PM
  #10  
soyabean
Full Member
 
soyabean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
$700 for just a frame though is out of my league.
Then you don't get what you want.

Compromise is a normal part of most folks' lives.

You should see what I spend on some of my saddles.
soyabean is offline  
Old 12-05-22, 10:54 PM
  #11  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 11,150

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked 2,722 Times in 1,819 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
$700 for just a frame though is out of my league. Can buy many bikes for that. My current ride (Kuwahara Sage) was about $40.
Then I wouldn't recommend paying that much it has gone up in price since I got mine but it is $449.99 from Soma. There are plenty of cheap bikes but this bike is a real winner. I can buy plenty of cheap bikes on craigslist or wherever but this bike is quite special. It is a long term bike with loads of possibilities. If I ever get bored I can get different wheels and tires and convert it to something else. Make a single speed or fixed gear, put a double or triple at the front and make it more of a touring bike. Drop bars, flat bars, other alt bars...
It is my cheapest bike festooned with nice but parts bin stuff but it is one of my most ridden bikes because it is just right.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 12-05-22, 11:05 PM
  #12  
Korina
Happy banana slug
 
Korina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way
Posts: 3,181

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,075 Times in 664 Posts
What are you looking for in a hybrid? My '92 RockHopper makes a killer commuter/rambler/grocery-getter.



Getting ready to start the Critical Mass ride.
Korina is offline  
Likes For Korina:
Old 12-06-22, 12:25 AM
  #13  
csport
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: /dev/null
Posts: 600

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
...but it is $449.99 from Soma. There are plenty of cheap bikes but this bike is a real winner... It is my cheapest bike festooned with nice but parts bin stuff but it is one of my most ridden bikes because it is just right.
We need to seduce the OP into buying it! Promo code"get20dec" to get 20% off ANYTHING in stock, ends Tuesday, Dec 6, 2022. New Albion frame is $400, can also get the matte purple Double Cross frame for a bit more.
I have a previous version, sky silver, also very happy with it.
csport is offline  
Likes For csport:
Old 12-06-22, 01:10 AM
  #14  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 1,144

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 305 Posts
I still see early 90's hybrids now and then

including the Schwinn Criss Cross ... Cross Cut ... Specialized Cross Roads ... and similar bikes

my LBS recently had a Jamis Coda in for repair
t2p is offline  
Old 12-06-22, 06:48 PM
  #15  
prairiepedaler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Winnipeg - traffic ticket central
Posts: 1,508

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 167 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean View Post
Then you don't get what you want.

Compromise is a normal part of most folks' lives.

You should see what I spend on some of my saddles.
I'll just live with what I need
prairiepedaler is offline  
Old 12-06-22, 06:52 PM
  #16  
prairiepedaler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Winnipeg - traffic ticket central
Posts: 1,508

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 167 Posts
Originally Posted by csport View Post
We need to seduce the OP into buying it! Promo code"get20dec" to get 20% off ANYTHING in stock, ends Tuesday, Dec 6, 2022. New Albion frame is $400, can also get the matte purple Double Cross frame for a bit more.
I have a previous version, sky silver, also very happy with it.
Haha... thanks for the encouragement. I'm up in Canada though. In the USA, people can import $800 duty free. For us, it's $20. But, usually the more practical threshold is around $70. They can't be bothered with the paperwork for 20. The exchange rate is the killer too.

I wanted to bag one of those old hybs for their larger tire capacity. I thought I'd try a change from a bike with 26" and see what a larger wheel with fat rubber feels like on our 3rd world roads.
prairiepedaler is offline  
Old 12-07-22, 05:49 PM
  #17  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 11,150

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked 2,722 Times in 1,819 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
Haha... thanks for the encouragement. I'm up in Canada though. In the USA, people can import $800 duty free. For us, it's $20. But, usually the more practical threshold is around $70. They can't be bothered with the paperwork for 20. The exchange rate is the killer too.

I wanted to bag one of those old hybs for their larger tire capacity. I thought I'd try a change from a bike with 26" and see what a larger wheel with fat rubber feels like on our 3rd world roads.
Ahhh I see. There are definitely dealers in Canada for Soma/New Albion and if nothing else your local shop can probably get an account with Merry Sales Co. and get one ordered.

Also just FYI the 3rd world was countries not aligned with the U.S. and its allies or the Soviet Union and its allies during the Cold War which ended officially December 26th 1991.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 12-09-22, 07:23 PM
  #18  
Schweinhund
Captain Dorkdisk
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: The CV of California
Posts: 582

Bikes: More than I need, less than I want.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
I'm very value conscious and hate to even buy a new bike part let alone a whole new bike. There are just so many, many bikes out there. I always look for used first and there were many a hybrid made during those years but I think they were more regional in popularity. Today they might call them a fitness bike. I'd prefer good ol' steel and cantilever brakes. I did see a Muirwoods not too long ago actually, offered by a local bike shop that was closing its' doors. But, the quest is for earlier hybrids.
I guess whoever said they were regional was right.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/7554428515.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/7564100013.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/7556777046.html
These are the least expensive ones in the bay area of Ca.
Schweinhund is offline  
Old 12-17-22, 12:44 AM
  #19  
vonfilm 
Senior Member
 
vonfilm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Austin,Texas
Posts: 802

Bikes: 73 Super Sport, 86 Tempo, 86 Peloton, 87 Super Sport, 83 Peugeot PFN10, 76 Super Course MK IV, 94 Univega Alpina 5.5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 33 Posts
I would urge you to find a Jamis Coda. I think they are strangely undervalued.
Last summer, I found a 18” frameset at the local co-op. It was filthy and scratched but straight. I got it for $10. I built it up with a nice used Giant 8 speed wheel set and new Shimano components. By moving the seat post up and down, both my wife and I can ride it.

Two weeks ago I found a a really nice 200x 21.5” Jamis Coda Sport 9 speed with Deore rear derailleur, FSA crankset with Reynolds 520 steel frame. The owner had it on Craigslist for 2 months at $235. After he lowered it to $200 or best offer, I asked if he would take $150. Half an hour later I picked it up. I love the way it rides.

One can buy a brand new entry level Coda Sport for $580. I think that to be an incredible bargain on todays market.

I see a Jamis Quest road bike that needs a little TLC on the local Facebook market place for $99. This also has Reynolds 520 double butted chrome moly frame.
__________________
1973 Schwinn Super Sport
1986 Schwinn Peloton
1976 Raleigh Super Course Mk II(for wife)
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack
vonfilm is offline  
Old 12-17-22, 08:22 PM
  #20  
prairiepedaler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Winnipeg - traffic ticket central
Posts: 1,508

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 167 Posts
Originally Posted by vonfilm View Post
I would urge you to find a Jamis Coda. I think they are strangely undervalued.
Last summer, I found a 18 frameset at the local co-op. It was filthy and scratched but straight. I got it for $10. I built it up with a nice used Giant 8 speed wheel set and new Shimano components. By moving the seat post up and down, both my wife and I can ride it.

Two weeks ago I found a a really nice 200x 21.5 Jamis Coda Sport 9 speed with Deore rear derailleur, FSA crankset with Reynolds 520 steel frame. The owner had it on Craigslist for 2 months at $235. After he lowered it to $200 or best offer, I asked if he would take $150. Half an hour later I picked it up. I love the way it rides.

One can buy a brand new entry level Coda Sport for $580. I think that to be an incredible bargain on todays market.

I see a Jamis Quest road bike that needs a little TLC on the local Facebook market place for $99. This also has Reynolds 520 double butted chrome moly frame.
I'll keep an open for one of those old Sport models. The Cannondale Quick series isn't supposed to be too bad, but they are an Aluminum frame.
prairiepedaler is offline  
Old 12-18-22, 07:47 AM
  #21  
Trav1s
Deraill this!
 
Trav1s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Just north of Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 241

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Quick 1, 1994 Specialized S-Works M2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 75 Posts
I can comment on the aluminum Quick series - I own a Quick 1 and rode multiple of the lower level Quicks. I think they are worth considering. The lower lever (higher numbers) have a more relaxed riding position than the Quick 1-4. I lucked into the Quick 1 Disc when a friend upgraded to a CF Specialized Roubaix and it is fast, light, and is very comfortable to ride. Best upgrade was switching from 700x30 to 700x35 tires to make rides on rough pavement more comfortable.
Trav1s is offline  
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 12-18-22, 08:40 AM
  #22  
Inusuit
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: SE Wyoming
Posts: 484

Bikes: 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 220 Posts
My 1995 Rockhopper was $75 with a Thule 4-bike rack thrown in. Swapped out the stem to reduce reach and installed Schwalbe Land Cruiser tires. Rolls smooth on pavement and gives me the option of checking out dirt roads and trails. Has become my favorite all-around bike for daily riding.

Inusuit is offline  
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 12-18-22, 12:06 PM
  #23  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 1,144

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 305 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
I'll keep an open for one of those old Sport models. The Cannondale Quick series isn't supposed to be too bad, but they are an Aluminum frame.
there are a number of good options

just keep looking for the bike that is the right size at the right price
t2p is offline  
Old 12-24-22, 10:52 AM
  #24  
prairiepedaler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Winnipeg - traffic ticket central
Posts: 1,508

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 167 Posts
Originally Posted by Trav1s View Post
I can comment on the aluminum Quick series - I own a Quick 1 and rode multiple of the lower level Quicks. I think they are worth considering. The lower lever (higher numbers) have a more relaxed riding position than the Quick 1-4. I lucked into the Quick 1 Disc when a friend upgraded to a CF Specialized Roubaix and it is fast, light, and is very comfortable to ride. Best upgrade was switching from 700x30 to 700x35 tires to make rides on rough pavement more comfortable.
Hi, what year is your Q1?
prairiepedaler is offline  
Old 12-24-22, 10:55 AM
  #25  
prairiepedaler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Winnipeg - traffic ticket central
Posts: 1,508

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 167 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit View Post
My 1995 Rockhopper was $75 with a Thule 4-bike rack thrown in. Swapped out the stem to reduce reach and installed Schwalbe Land Cruiser tires. Rolls smooth on pavement and gives me the option of checking out dirt roads and trails. Has become my favorite all-around bike for daily riding.

I ride a bike like yours there, a Kuwahara Sage. Old steel non-suspension bikes are my usual go-to for toughness, huge economy and availability. I thought I'd try something with larger diameter wheels and something I can fit a 40mm tire on. There are many Hybrids out there from the past except none show up around here for some bizarre reason.

This is the bike I really want though. I have been seeking an XXL for years. It is a touring bike, but in the interim an old hybrid would do fine.

Last edited by prairiepedaler; 12-24-22 at 10:58 AM.
prairiepedaler is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.