Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Old 03-27-11, 07:40 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
Just tooled around town on the Trek 420. I went out to a park right outside of town. The river had overflowed and flooded some of the forest around the path- overnight it all froze- I got there at a time when it was beginning to warm up and the ice was cracking as it was melting- it was a cool, if not creepy sound echoing throughout the forest.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 03-28-11, 03:56 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I swear it's rained just about every day this month...

Finally got out for a ride. We got 20 miles up-canyon before a little standing water on the road scared the two Nancy's I was riding with and forced a retreat back down the mountain. They let me ride across and then refused to follow, so I had to cross back over. 40 miles and ~2100 feet of climbing.

S. J. Perelman
Old 03-28-11, 04:05 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Maybe its time for an old Paramount with fenders?^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-28-11, 04:06 PM
Spookeay Bird
spookeaymarine.info

Location: Me, I'm in Central Alabama C.S.A. But my husband is under the bed. He's sure there is a black helicopter orbiting our house.

Bikes: Schwin,Ross,Cannondale.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took out my "new to me" Cannondale I built and painted for the first time yesterday.
Old 03-28-11, 05:20 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Spookeay Bird
Took out my "new to me" Cannondale I built and painted for the first time yesterday.
Excellent work. I'm nauseated now, but the bike looks great.
Old 03-29-11, 01:18 AM
WhetStonez
Getting Thinner

Bikes: '09 Scattante R-560

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went riding at night through Mission Hills and Hillcrest here in San Diego. Sorry for the crappy cellphone pic and wrong side of bike, ah well!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
night01.jpg (95.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-29-11, 03:36 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
We spent a summer in Lake Placid and after the Triathlon I took this ride out of Chazy with my adopted daughter who did the Triathlon.
https://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/517589

Very nice photo essay! I drove along I-89 for years from Boston to Montreal to visit my then, finance. I had always wanted to take a detour and wander around up the other side of Lake Champlain to sight-see and then enter Canada from the New York border. I should've when I had the opportunity. Looks like nice countryside.
Old 03-29-11, 06:35 PM
YoKev
hi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I snapped this before tonights ride, and before I had drivetrain carnage!

This area I ride in was a very active bluestone quarry till about 1900, give or take. The holes in the rock (bluestone) were all drilled by hand and are approximately 6 feet deep or so. The workers would drill the holes, then break off large chunks of rock and shape it into smaller ones. From what I've seen in this pit, the rock here is probably most suitable for sidewalks, curbing, and architectural purposes. The bluestone industry slowed down with the discovery of Rosendale Cement, which ironically, happened less than 15 miles from here. From Havana Cuba to San Francisco, bluestone from this area of Ulster County was sought after and used for the purposes listed above.

It still sits here, waiting for the next group of quarrymen. Time has stopped in this small corner of the woods.

Last edited by YoKev; 03-30-11 at 04:09 AM.
Old 04-02-11, 05:47 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Today was our April club run, a meandering ramble through Needham, Natick, and Wellesley, MA (plus a few assorted towns on the way and back home to Brookline, MA). Some fine British steel turned out:

My 1960 Ken Ryall:

Bob's 1950s Flying Scot Continental model:

Check out the Simplex RD action on the 3-speed block!

Chuck's 1959 Mercian:

Chris's 1970s Mercian:

Scott's 1940s Raleigh:

The knickered crew!

One casualty was the front Bleumels fender on my Ryall. My front wheel took up a thick stick while we were covering some rough stuff:

A great time was had by all (except my front fender).

Neal
Old 04-02-11, 07:27 PM
Peter_B
Senior Moment

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's head cam video of my ride Thursday evening after work, on a 1992 Grandis Max, with Columbus Max lugged oversize elliptical steel tubes, and some vintage components including TA crankset and Modolo Master Professional brakes. Ride was 14 miles with 2,200 feet of climbing. Max speed on longer downhills was 45, 47, and 43 mph. This bike with its Columbus Max tubeset handles well with this 200 pound rider on it.

Last edited by Peter_B; 04-02-11 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-03-11, 10:50 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
A quick out and back. Mérida-Motul-Mérida, under overcast skies. A headwind going out and a tailwind coming back. 55 miles. 84 degrees when I rolled out the door at 6:30 and 94 when I returned at 10:30. Springtime in Yucatán.

Old 04-03-11, 10:56 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Sweet report, Neal! Those are some beautiful old machines and some dapper, knickered fellas.
Old 04-11-11, 03:58 AM
willb1046

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE, Fuji 3.0 Newest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't ride 100 miles, but i did ride 30 on my new Fuji Newest 3.0 with my new Shimano M520 pedals. I rode with my riding partner Lisa on the SRT (Schuylkill River Trail).
I'm officially a cyclist now I'm told. I took my first fall trying to get out of the clippless pedals. Despite to crash I had a great day.https://www.bikeforums.net/images/smilies/thumb.gif
https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/31445322

Last edited by willb1046; 04-11-11 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Forgot the link to my tracks
Old 04-11-11, 08:21 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Well I have no pics to show of yesterday morning's ride with forum member JPTwins, but we did take a nice 36 mile ride. I was on my Trek 560, JPTwins was on his Fuji S-12-S. We met in Brookline, MA, and headed out Comm ave past Boston College and made our way out to Weston. Came back through the lovely Lincoln countryside, getting to ride past the amazing Walter Gropius home. For the last leg we took Trapelo Rd through Waltham and Belmont, back to Somerville.

Then for a biking encore, his family met up with mine, and we rode all the kids on a motley combination of tandems, trailercycles, and even a tandem trailercycle! We rode a whopping 1.5 miles to Cambridge Commons, let the kids play on the playground while we enjoyed a picnic lunch. JPTwins and I stopped for a beer while our wives took the kids for ice cream. Then we all met up, finished off our beers, and rode home.

Here is a photo of our tangle of steel:

trailercycles.jpg

Last edited by southpawboston; 04-11-11 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-11-11, 10:22 AM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Yesterday was the first day for shorts as the temperature climbed suddenly into the low 80's. That is quite a change versus the past 7 weeks of riding while wearing Patagonia expedition weight.
Old 04-11-11, 08:59 PM
snarkypup

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sports: The Root Beer Bomber

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was supposed to be home sick (actually, I was home sick: sinuses, ears and left eye infected). Sun was shining, and a ride on the Raleigh made me feel a bit better. Guilt ensued, but I'm glad I did it anyway. About 10 miles, and the only pleasantly not-ill hour of my day. Sun, blossoms and a good breeze will cure many problems, at least for a few minutes.

raleighblossoms by snarkypup, on Flickr
Old 04-13-11, 07:59 PM
Baroudeur

Bikes: 198? Colnago Sprint (Columbus SL), 199? Specialized Allez Epic (carbon), 19?? Peugeot Optimum (Reynolds 531)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is the only picture I have of my recent trip out to Sauvie Island, northwest of Portland. I wish I had brought my real camera, the lighting was spectacular.

Old 04-17-11, 07:47 AM
nlerner

Yesterday, my buddy Bob and I did a fine 85-mile tour of the swamps and bogs in southeastern Massachusetts. We took advantage of the commuter rail system, taking the morning train out of Boston southeast to Attleboro, MA, rode southeast from there through swampland and rural state parks to Hixville, MA, then headed east and north through cranberry bogs to Plymouth, MA, where we just missed an earlier train, but had a fine dinner and caught the last train back to Boston. It was a coldish, windy day, so we fought headwinds whenever we were heading east without cover, but fortunately, a good chunk of the ride had plenty of forest cover to temper the winds somewhat. All went well mechanically until we were back in Boston and heading for home in a steady rain when Bob's drive-side pedal ripped out of his TA crankarm as he was starting up at a light. We were very glad that didn't happen in the middle of nowheresville. I zipped home on my bike (which was only a couple of miles), got in the car, and swept up Bob and his bike. Otherwise, it was a great day. And now the pics:

Given that we planned on riding lots of primitive roads/paths, the ride called for fat-tire bikes. We were both riding 650B 42mm Hetre tires.

My Ebisu ready for the ride:

Waiting for the train at Boston's South Station. Bob's bike is a newly repainted SR w/ added canti-posts and a few other adjustments for 650B wheels. The work was done by CircleA in Providence, and it's a beauty not well captured by these photos:

After a single-lane river crossing in Berkeley, MA:

An old stone bridge crossing yet another river (lots of water on this ride):

We spent a great deal of time noodling around in Fall River/Freetown State Forest, where the best roads looked like this:

But most of them looked like this:

The Hetre tires absolutely rocked for this terrain. We were riding over small logs, lots of rocks, and straight through those puddles.

Huh? We didn't have a problem on our bikes:

Our southernmost destination was Hixville, MA, where we had an awesome Portuguese sandwich:

Cranberry bog on the way to Plymouth. The colors are amazing (but not well captured by this photo):

On the train back home:

Neal
Old 04-17-11, 08:22 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Neal, wow, great photos and trip description! I was thinking of you while I was hunkered down out of the rawness in front of my wood stove..

I'd be interested to know why Bob's pedal pulled out of his crank arm, seems to me you're getting good at this type of rescue! Did he go down? I'm still figuring out what went wrong when my pedal stripped out at the traffic light in Watertown..

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 04-17-11, 09:17 AM
nlerner

Originally Posted by Scottryder
Neal, wow, great photos and trip description! I was thinking of you while I was hunkered down out of the rawness in front of my wood stove..

I'd be interested to know why Bob's pedal pulled out of his crank arm, seems to me you're getting good at this type of rescue! Did he go down? I'm still figuring out what went wrong when my pedal stripped out at the traffic light in Watertown..

Scott
Thanks, Scott. Fortunately, Bob didn't go down, mainly because he was just starting from a stop, so he didn't have much momentum or speed at that point. It was pretty interesting to see his pedal still attached to his foot via toe clip but not attached to the crank arm. I would have taken a pic if it hadn't been dark and raining. I'm not sure what the cause was, but I don't think the arm is repairable as he pulled out lots of material. He's going to try and clean out the threads with my Park tap, but I think it's too far gone.

Neal
Old 04-17-11, 09:26 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Great photos, Neal! A 650B machine is on my list.
Old 04-17-11, 10:26 AM
buldogge

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanx for that post Neal... I grew up in Middleborough, dated a girl in Freetown, and had family connections (Portuguese) throughout the area...brings back memories.

Gotta ask:
What kind of sandwhich?
Where did you eat in Plymouth??

-Mark in St. Louis

Originally Posted by nlerner
Yesterday, my buddy Bob and I did a fine 85-mile tour of the swamps and bogs in southeastern Massachusetts. We took advantage of the commuter rail system, taking the morning train out of Boston southeast to Attleboro, MA, rode southeast from there through swampland and rural state parks to Hixville, MA, then headed east and north through cranberry bogs to Plymouth, MA, where we just missed an earlier train, but had a fine dinner and caught the last train back to Boston. It was a coldish, windy day, so we fought headwinds whenever we were heading east without cover, but fortunately, a good chunk of the ride had plenty of forest cover to temper the winds somewhat. All went well mechanically until we were back in Boston and heading for home in a steady rain when Bob's drive-side pedal ripped out of his TA crankarm as he was starting up at a light. We were very glad that didn't happen in the middle of nowheresville. I zipped home on my bike (which was only a couple of miles), got in the car, and swept up Bob and his bike. Otherwise, it was a great day. And now the pics:

Given that we planned on riding lots of primitive roads/paths, the ride called for fat-tire bikes. We were both riding 650B 42mm Hetre tires.

My Ebisu ready for the ride:

Waiting for the train at Boston's South Station. Bob's bike is a newly repainted SR w/ added canti-posts and a few other adjustments for 650B wheels. The work was done by CircleA in Providence, and it's a beauty not well captured by these photos:

After a single-lane river crossing in Berkeley, MA:

An old stone bridge crossing yet another river (lots of water on this ride):

We spent a great deal of time noodling around in Fall River/Freetown State Forest, where the best roads looked like this:

But most of them looked like this:

The Hetre tires absolutely rocked for this terrain. We were riding over small logs, lots of rocks, and straight through those puddles.

Huh? We didn't have a problem on our bikes:

Our southernmost destination was Hixville, MA, where we had an awesome Portuguese sandwich:

Cranberry bog on the way to Plymouth. The colors are amazing (but not well captured by this photo):

On the train back home:

Neal
Old 04-17-11, 11:18 AM
nlerner

Originally Posted by buldogge
Thanx for that post Neal... I grew up in Middleborough, dated a girl in Freetown, and had family connections (Portuguese) throughout the area...brings back memories.

Gotta ask:
What kind of sandwhich?
Where did you eat in Plymouth??

-Mark in St. Louis
Thanks, Mark. Some terrific riding in that area. On the sandwich, Bob told me not to ask what the filling was (!), but it seemed to have ground pork and some spicy sauce. The bread was that amazingly light Portuguese roll. The restaurant is called Roo Bar and is in a complex near the Plymouth commuter-rail station. I believe it's been there a while, but now has a new owner who spent some time chatting with us. I had lobster pizza and a couple of pints of Mayflower IPA--highly recommended!

Neal
Old 04-17-11, 11:29 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Originally Posted by nlerner
On the sandwich, Bob told me not to ask what the filling was (!), but it seemed to have ground pork and some spicy sauce. T
Neal
Linguica? Mmm.
Old 04-17-11, 11:49 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I saw your name on here, Colonel, and thought I would see your ride report. But no, not yet. I did a nice, easy 29 miles out and back to the south. Every time I ride south, I get pressured to race--that's their training, and racing ground. So I told myself I was doing intervals of two minutes on, three minutes off. But I invariably forgot that I was supposed to be pushing during those two minutes, and finally just went through the motions of shifting into a higher gear and increasing my cadence.
Lovely ride report, Neal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.