Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Help: need parts for Zefal floor pump

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 04-30-08, 02:35 PM
Richbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The head on my Zefal Husky floor pump won't hold an airtight seal between the pump head and a schrader valve or presta adapter anymore. The Zefal website says there's supposedly a replacement rubber ring available, or replacement head but I can't find anyone who sells those. So, I either need to find a compatible pump head or hose. Has anyone found a U.S. source for Zefal pump parts, or used/adapted a head or hose from another manufacturer's pump on a Zefal? Let me know.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 05-01-08, 04:49 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Have you contacted the factory? They were very helpful in getting me some new rubber when my HPX started leaking. Zefal.com

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 09-19-17, 04:04 PM
rapbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Note: I am not allowed to post URLs, so I have modified the URLs below. Hopefully, you can reconstruct the original URLs by removing the whitespaces.)

I found myself with the same problem as Richbiker. I have a 25-year old Husky floor pump which progressively wore down, eventually leaking so much air that I couldn't use it anymore. Both the Schrader and Presta washers were worn out. I emailed the manufacturer, and received a nice reply from Zefal. They said that they no longer make the replacement rubber washers for this model. They recommended replacing the entire hose with a Z-Switch Connector (https :// https://www.amazon.com/Zefal-Z-Switch...dp/B01LFM0QCI/). It is listed on their website for about 10 Euros. The only US supplier that I could find was on Amazon for $62. I wasn't willing to pay that much for a hose, so I tried to fix this some other way.

For the Preta adapter (which fits in front of the Schrader thumblock), Zefal describes the replacement part as "Presta adaptor with chain" (http :// https://www.zefal.com/en/pumps/251-pr...husky-pump.htm), which is listed for 4.90 Euros. Unfortunately, I could not find a US retailer for this part. However, I did find the rubber washer that fits inside this adapter on Amazon (https :// https://www.amazon.com/ZEFAL-Replacem...dp/B00629S00U/) for $4.38 + $4.49 shipping. It is slightly tight initially, but after a few uses, it seems to work quite well.

For the leaking Schrader washer, I hacked it. I found some old replacement washers for the Zefal HPX frame pump in my storage box, I think this is called the "Zefal Husky Schrader Valve Washer with Thumblock" on Amazon (https :// https://www.amazon.com/Zefal-Replacem...dp/B0040DSQRM/), going for $2.70 + $4.49. This replacement kit for the HPX pump comes with 2 washers, one of them is a Schrader washer that is almost a match for the Husky floor pump. It is just a little too long. I fixed that problem by taking a kitchen knife and slicing off maybe 1 mm off the bottom end of the washer (the end facing the pump, not the bike valve). And what do you know, it works!

I now have a 25 year old Husky floor pump that no longer leaks air. Total cost of repair, around $8 for me (around $15 if I had to buy both washers). Hope this helps.

Last edited by rapbike; 09-19-17 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 02:14 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
If you use the pump for presta only, you can cut the end off the existing pump hose and add one of these: SKS BRASS CHUCK TRACK STIRRUP FLOOR PUMP HEAD PRESTA VALVES I've been using mine for decades and only today found this one listed SKS BRASS CHUCK TRACK STIRRUP FLOOR PUMP HEAD PRESTA VALVES | eBay I can't find a US seller. It's been one of the best bike accessories I ever bought. Slips on and off the presta valve with almost no effort so it never destroys the valve tip.

Last edited by VegasTriker; 09-20-17 at 02:20 PM. Reason: removed German source too costly shipping $$$
Old 09-27-17, 07:20 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
If you use the pump for presta only, you can cut the end off the existing pump hose and add one of these: SKS BRASS CHUCK TRACK STIRRUP FLOOR PUMP HEAD PRESTA VALVES I've been using mine for decades and only today found this one listed SKS BRASS CHUCK TRACK STIRRUP FLOOR PUMP HEAD PRESTA VALVES | eBay I can't find a US seller. It's been one of the best bike accessories I ever bought. Slips on and off the presta valve with almost no effort so it never destroys the valve tip.
I've used those for a long time too. I can't say they go on and off as easily as Vegas says, but they're certainly OK. Probably need to buy a tiny hose clamp to secure it to your pump.
Old 09-27-17, 07:49 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
I have a husky floor pump when the gasket wore out, (using the same hose), I replaced the chuck with a Silca one. When that gasket wore out, I made a temporary one with a rubber washer til the one I ordered online came in. Much easier to source the Silca parts.
Old 10-02-17, 09:29 AM
rapbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While looking up the SKS and Silca parts mentioned, I came across this "SKS Rennkompressor QC2183 Head with Hose for Bicycle Pump" (https :// https://www.amazon.com/SKS-Rennkompre.../dp/B00649JHY6) part on Amazon for $16. It looks exactly like the pump head for the Zefal Husky floor pump. The description says "Fits SKS Rennkompressor pumps. Fits Zefal Husky pumps that were produced by SKS only". I'm wondering if my Zefal Husky floor pump was actually made by SKS.

I also found these rubber washers:

* SKS Schrader Rubber Washer Replacement For #2371 Floor Pump Spare Parts (https :// https://www.amazon.com/Schrader-Rubbe...dp/B000X65P3S/) "Will also fit Zefal husky pumps with dedicated schrader pump heads produced by SKS"

* SKS Presta Rubber Washer Replacement For #2371 Floor Pump Spare Parts (https :// https://www.amazon.com/Presta-Rubber-.../dp/B000X65P4M) "Pump Model: Rubber Washer for PV Adaptor"

They seem like a match for the vintage Zerfal Husky floor pump, but it's impossible to know until someone tries them.
Old 11-22-21, 09:01 PM
Richbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OMG People . . . .
I'm still using the SAME Zefal Husky pump, which works fine, except for the leaking valve head. I've nursed it along all these years; perhaps I found a way to keep the worn out parts going, or at least not leaking so much.
So I go to google the same problem, and turn up this thread; I read through stuff, scroll up and back a couple of times only to discover ... I STARTED this dang thread!
Thanks for your replies. I will try to use the links you provided. My employers distributer may have the right parts. COVID has caused a lot of parts shortages, as I'm sure youo all know. This shouldn't be so hard , but the bike industry is just terrible at standards for doing the same thing that fits the same size (like it shouldn't be that hard to replace the rubber seals; it shouldn't be that hard to replace the entire head; or it shouldn't be that hard to replace the entire hose). But ... IT IS!

I will give credit to Zefal though ... the Husky has just lasted forever ( I bought it thru Bike Nashbar probably in 1989). No leaks through the barrel or hose, except for the valve head. Meanwhile, my company buys pumps from major brands that cost just as much and they are total crap-- too much plastic, and too much leaking between the barrel, hose and valve).
Old 11-23-21, 11:56 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Richbiker
OMG People . . . .
I'm still using the SAME Zefal Husky pump, which works fine, except for the leaking valve head. I've nursed it along all these years; perhaps I found a way to keep the worn out parts going, or at least not leaking so much.
So I go to google the same problem, and turn up this thread; I read through stuff, scroll up and back a couple of times only to discover ... I STARTED this dang thread!
Thanks for your replies. I will try to use the links you provided. My employers distributer may have the right parts. COVID has caused a lot of parts shortages, as I'm sure youo all know. This shouldn't be so hard , but the bike industry is just terrible at standards for doing the same thing that fits the same size (like it shouldn't be that hard to replace the rubber seals; it shouldn't be that hard to replace the entire head; or it shouldn't be that hard to replace the entire hose). But ... IT IS!

I will give credit to Zefal though ... the Husky has just lasted forever ( I bought it thru Bike Nashbar probably in 1989). No leaks through the barrel or hose, except for the valve head. Meanwhile, my company buys pumps from major brands that cost just as much and they are total crap-- too much plastic, and too much leaking between the barrel, hose and valve).
Oddly enough, my Zefal Husky pump (purchased around 1990) has a leaking head and I am pondering a fix. I've tried to find a new seal for it, but no dice so far. I thought I was being dumb, and maybe I am, but at least I am not alone. I though about buying a new pump, but the pump is solid in every other way after all these years.

If I do get a new pump, it probably won't be a Zefal. As best as I can tell, the current Zefal company is a mere shadow of it's old self.

Edited to add: Wait, did I just find an adapter chuck that will solve my problem??: https://www.amazon.com/Presta-Adapte...49232598&psc=1

Last edited by Steamer; 11-23-21 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-23-21, 01:59 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
I have a Zefal Husky floor pump since 1994.
Long time ago, I've changed the hose completely with an updated the original hose to a Presta/Schrader hose, replacement parts & hoses are easier to find.
Old 11-30-21, 12:40 AM
luns

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR600

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Richbiker
OMG People . . . .

I don't know how broadly this was true, but back in the day (80s-90s), I understood the Zefal Husky to be just a re-labelled SKS Rennkompressor. I don't know if this still true or not - I have a hunch that more recent Huskys (probably from around the time Walmart started selling Zefal branded products) might not be SKS pumps - but older pumps likely are.

SKS lists replacement parts. You can check RENNKOMPRESSOR - SKS GERMANY (sks-germany.com) and see if any of the heads match yours. I'm going to guess you may be looking for part 3203 - the seal for the thumb-lock head.

Some digging shows the part is available at SKS' US site at Grommet for Pump Head – SKS USA (sks-us.com) apparentlly for $4.99 with free US shipping. I won't look for a better deal than that. If your Husky is an SKS, I think whatever head you have, parts are available not far from this page.

There seem to be a number of replacement heads available which you might even prefer over your existing head, some with hose, newer ones optionally so (older heads were crimped on and not available separate from the hose). The classic schrader head on the hose end that I presume you have, including the schrader/presta adapter is $17.99, again with apparently free shipping. This sounds like a pretty decent deal to me, considering it has fittings for both ends crimped on nicely. In contrast with Silca wanting $20 for a 3 ft piece of 3/16" Continental hose cut from a reel, packaged with two Oetiker clamps, plus $12 for their simplest schrader hose fitting, and no fitting even available for the pump end of the hose, the SKS hose seems like a bargain!

Last edited by luns; 11-30-21 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-08-21, 05:14 PM
rapbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am glad to see so many people still using their Husky pumps. Since my last post in 2017, the hose on my 30-year old pump had started to leak due to the deterioration of the rubber. Multiple layers of duct tape allowed it to limp along for a few more of years. After seeing the recent post by Richbiker, I finally decided to take the chance and ordered the "SKS Rennkompressor QC2183 Head with Hose for Bicycle Pump" that I mentioned in my previous post (I'm still not allowed to post a URL, so you need to manually reconstruct the following: www[dot]amazon[dot]com/SKS-Rennkompressor-QC2183-Head-Bicycle/dp/B00649JHY6). The price has increased $2 since 2017 to $18. I installed the hose today, and it is a perfect match for the old Husky. The new hose is 8 inches longer than the previous hose, which is convenient. Hope this helps.

Last edited by rapbike; 12-08-21 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-11-21, 08:07 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
What I find interesting is that a 13+year old thread is here in the recumbents forum, and it's not even a recumbent question.
Old 02-01-22, 06:19 PM
Richbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What did you use to connect the hose to the base of the pump?

Originally Posted by cat0020
I have a Zefal Husky floor pump since 1994.
Long time ago, I've changed the hose completely with an updated the original hose to a Presta/Schrader hose, replacement parts & hoses are easier to find.
CAT 0020, Yeah I've got a couple of replacement hoses, but I need some sorta fitting so the bottom of the hose connects to the base of the pump. The threads are the same size as a presta adapter. What fitting did you use for the bottom of the hose?
Old 02-01-22, 06:32 PM
Richbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK -- everyone.
Thanks for your help. Using the amazon links supplied above I found both the exact replacement hose plus the small rubber parts.
To answer BlazingPedals question -- I'm not sure why I originally posted this to the recumbents forum. I did own a recumbent at the time (and own 2 now, both are Visions). Maybe I thought recumbent folks would know the answer??? But since I use this pump on my recumbents, it's sorta-kinda a recumbent quesstion I suppose.
Old 02-01-22, 07:54 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
I just used a rubber hose that has the same (or similar) diameter as the old hose, maybe add a compression hose clamp to the hose if needed.
Just don't over-tighten the hose clamp.
Old 07-28-22, 12:25 PM
elvinc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zefal in the past has helped with replacement caps for my kid size water bottles and had directed me to the right washers in the past. Most recently to a new presta chuck design and corresponding washers.

But given that my old Husky is indeed an SKS Rennkompressor rebrand, I'm looking into a replacement hose so that I can have thumb lock on both presta and Schrader for the rest of its life. Figuring that thumb lock should reduce push on/pull off wear on the washers.

Never thought to check the washer on the Schrader head. I don't know if it would explain why I continue to have issues with a relatively new presta chuck and washers.

Thanks Richbiker and others for this thread, saving my old Husky/RK. Was about to plunk down $35 on a replacement pump.
Old 08-24-22, 10:01 PM
elvinc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the meanwhile, after adjusting both the Schrader and presta adapter connections, I've had a more reliable seal on my original hose. Original washer in the Schrader was still ok. This approach worked with my new presta adapter from Zefal (and probably would work with the original design I saved, though I've tossed previous presta washers that were likely fine after all).

I did reach out Zefal support and they explained that the z-switch head with replacement hose is compatible with Husky's made before 2005. Reasonable price on Amazon at $14 right now. Will see how the pump works out...maybe temperature differences in the basement where I prep my bikes will be a factor as we transition from summer to winter.

I don't think I got a response from SKS-US about compatibility though it also appears likely. You can purchase the heads separately, though I'm not quite as sure how they would be installed onto an original Husky hose. Costs for head + hose combos from SKS cost a little more and conflict stylistically with the Zefal Husky brand/color.

Originally Posted by elvinc
But given that my old Husky is indeed an SKS Rennkompressor rebrand, I'm looking into a replacement hose so that I can have thumb lock on both presta and Schrader for the rest of its life. Figuring that thumb lock should reduce push on/pull off wear on the washers.

Never thought to check the washer on the Schrader head. I don't know if it would explain why I continue to have issues with a relatively new presta chuck and washers.
Old 09-05-22, 09:41 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Most of my pumps I picked up when the head failed and they got discarded. ( I am such a pack rat)
the cheap heads were about $2 from China fancy name brands ran about $20-25. SIlca were beautiful , but really now.
Decent mid range ~$12-15.
Almost new pump territory.
Nice thing to fab is a Presta pump to Schrader adapter for those odd RECUMBENT mismatches when your pocket pump was built for a roadie.
Just as a heads up, had a Zefal plastic pump handle fail on me and nearly impale me with the pump rod. Put a nasty puncture in my chest wall.
Zefal service handled (sic) it well. THey were actually very nice. Be careful, it can happen.